The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday August 20th, 2024

richwmn

Good morning everyone, from home in Wells Maine, finally!  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  

I’m always impressed by the care that handicapped air travelers are given at the airport making air travel possible for them.  Hats off to radios, I love listening to them.  Boo hiss to mosquitoes and the horrible diseases they can transmit.

I think the quote is pretty funny with a touch of the truth for us all I’ll bet!

I’d like to say yes to today’s meal but I just can’t, it seems all sorts of wrong to me.  On the other hand the drink sounds like a perfect vacation beverage.

I haven’t been to today’s port but I am enjoying your photos.

Back on the topic of air travel, is the security line always that long at the MSP airport?  We waited in it for over 50 minutes yesterday.  On a Monday afternoon on a non-holiday?  If so, I’m glad that it’s not my home airport, I can’t imagine what it’s like at Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Prayers for those on our prayer list today.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events.  Hooray to @kazu on the house offer, all of her hard work paid off!

• Like 28

Good morning.... sunny and dry again. I will need to turn the sprinklers back on if no rain in the next day or two. High today will be in the mid to upper 80's. It was 55 when dogs and I walked at 7 this morning. It needs to cool off.

I think that mosquitoes celebrate me. I seem to be a magnet for them.

I was at Dunedin on the GANZ this year. Lovely area. Not long enough to see all I wanted but don't think I will get back. Drat!!!

I need to get cracking this morning .... the frig needs a good clean out (read scrubbing) since it is pretty empty and then a trip to the store to restock. And the people are coming to talk to my neighbors about the sewer line. I have been asked to stand by as it might (I hope NOT!!!) involve our driveway and lawn. I still think tree roots.

Susan

• Like 30

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

Couldn't log in, doing some sort of update..

What did you finally do to get in?   Eva @superoma is concerned because she tried all kinds of things and couldn't get in.  She will be doing the Meal of the Day while I am gone and is concerned she won't be able to log in.  @POA1 any ideas?

2 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Feed to Bugs Bunny but not to me! 😀

I know you would rather have brussels sprouts.  You could use them in a fake meatball sandwich.  

I am laughing at the comments about the carrot dogs.  You all know my feelings about cooked carrots and that dish will never be made in this house.  But it sure has provoked the comments and conversation.  Just what  you wanted, right Rich @richwmn?  

• Like 19
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Now that my apology was posted..

Good morning Dailyites 

Oh it will be so hot here today! 106!

My car is due for it's 20,000 mile check up, so will have that done at 9.

As Debbie @dfish mentioned, I will be on pins and needles for my sister's surgery today. My nieces promise to text me with any updates.

@kazu, Jacqui, I wanted to cry along with you this morning. Many memories in your home with Jose and all your sweet animals who have crossed the rainbow bridge, your lovely flowers and gardens, but new ones await. Wow on all those offers. Now I'm teary!

Sandi, between you and Lenda, your pictures are gorgeous. Is there any place you 2 still have on your bucket list? Lol

Prayers lifted for each of our Daily-ites 

And holy cow!! Look at all the cruisers! 

@0106 thanks for your live thread. I'm too chicken to post one, but will send a note here when I can on our Japan cruise.

Blessings to all this day.

Joy, there are places DH and I have not been, and that I very much want to visit.  We've been to 139 countries, so now we are looking for new ports.

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning to all.  Happy Tuesday.

I hope everyone is doing well.  

Thank you to Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie and Ann for your contributions.

Today we were able to get a dermatology appointment for Jim.

We go to the Mayo Clinic next week for me.  I have three appointments in one day.  At that time I will also talk to the PCP about Malaria Meds for our Amazon Cruise.

I hope all are doing well,

i have an appointment soon so I have to go.

Will post later.

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, I'm glad you DH has an appointment with the dermatologist today.

14 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning.... sunny and dry again. I will need to turn the sprinklers back on if no rain in the next day or two. High today will be in the mid to upper 80's. It was 55 when dogs and I walked at 7 this morning. It needs to cool off.

I think that mosquitoes celebrate me. I seem to be a magnet for them.

I was at Dunedin on the GANZ this year. Lovely area. Not long enough to see all I wanted but don't think I will get back. Drat!!!

I need to get cracking this morning .... the frig needs a good clean out (read scrubbing) since it is pretty empty and then a trip to the store to restock. And the people are coming to talk to my neighbors about the sewer line. I have been asked to stand by as it might (I hope NOT!!!) involve our driveway and lawn. I still think tree roots.

Susan

Susan, I hope your driveway and lawn will be spared in the sewer line repair.

@NextOne  Edi, I hope your surgery goes well today, and you have a quick recovery.

Lenda

• Like 29

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

What did you finally do to get in?   Eva @superoma is concerned because she tried all kinds of things and couldn't get in.  She will be doing the Meal of the Day while I am gone and is concerned she won't be able to log in.  @POA1 any ideas?

I know you would rather have brussels sprouts.  You could use them in a fake meatball sandwich.  

I am laughing at the comments about the carrot dogs.  You all know my feelings about cooked carrots and that dish will never be made in this house.  But it sure has provoked the comments and conversation.  Just what  you wanted, right Rich @richwmn?  

Debbie, very early I couldn't get on CC because of an update. I waited awhile, and CC was back when I checked again.

Lenda

• Like 21

3 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, very early I couldn't get on CC because of an update. I waited awhile, and CC was back when I checked again.

Lenda

Thanks, I'll let Eva know.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@MISTER 67 I am the one who asked you yesterday if you aren't a HAL fan, do you visit us on the Daily for camaraderie. I meant no disrespect and thought it tongue in cheek. Anyone who knows me here will attest I am one of the good guys. I'm sorry if you were insulted! 

Joy, thank you for clearing this up. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  It's a pleasant 65 F now.  High will be in the low 70's.  No, thank you to the meal today.  I was reading another thread earlier, and it seems like hot dogs get a big plus from HAL Dive In restaurants!  I've had the yummy burgers, will have to try one of their dogs on our coming up winter cruise!  Haven't been to the port, but we were in Dunedin Florida a while back😉

Thanks for the port pictures today, we aren't world travelers like many here, so I travel through you!  

@MISTER 67this is a great place for daily fun...hope you stay.

@kazucongrats on the offer, I'm sure tears are going to come, but new memories are waiting for you and Ivan.  My mother was so happy when they moved to a senior apt.  She made so many new friends.  

Thinking of those having surgery today.

Bon voyage to those traveling. 

Thinking positive thought for all who need them.  Have a great day. Cooper our pup is at the groo er....waiting for the call to pick him up!  Karen

• Like 29

@MISTER 67 We need you here! Who else will thrill us with their daily golf score? And you may have noticed, that this entire thread was on pins and needles with @kazu over the house showings? You have to admit that this group is one big collection of those who share, encourage and celebrate each other through trials and tribulations, including loss, illness, births, along with travel.

What about today’s golf game?  Sure hope you have returned to read all the kind thoughts folks have shared.

Don’t be put off by celebrations of mosquito day and carrot hot dogs. They were just kidding. Ask @RedneckBob.

DH can come off the care list. Thank you for the support there. We have gone in two days from me listening to him while he was asleep to see if he was alive to a DH whose appetite has returned and now it is “have you cooked something for lunch?”  ( No)

I think he will be just fine. Thankful for Paxlovid.

Debbie

• Like 32

Good morning, Dailyites!  And, @MISTER 67, I am including you!  Don't go, we do enjoy hearing about your golf...  Pat has not golfed for some months now, but he is still the "organizer" of the complex's golf group of about 20, although probably only four groups play on any given Monday - there's always someone travelling or in the hospital!  So any golf news is good news.

We have had dreary weather for the last few days, it seems like autumn weather, even some sprinkles of rain, which we certainly need.  The reservoir is down to 75%, which I guess is not too bad for this time of year, as long as we get lots of rain through the winter.  

No thank you to a carrot hot dog, I think I will make a shepherd's pie tonight.  I'm pretty sure I have the ingredients, and it will do us for two nights, which is a bonus.  Jacqui, @kazu, that is amazing that you had so many offers.  That kind of thing makes you want to hang on even more, it is hard to let go of a place where you have been happy for so long.  I hope your appointment today goes well.  Pat got a call yesterday to set up an appointment with a cardiac surgeon, for September 6.  So that means, if there is to be a new valve, it will probably be in October - definitely no cruise!   He's not feeling well today, so has gone back to bed.  My cousin and her hubby are celebrating their 58th wedding anniversary today, so I will pop in with a card.  We'll treat them to brunch next Sunday.   That's always our time to get together.  

I knew Dunedin sounded familiar - we visited by land, though, and also the nearby Moeraki boulders, which "hatch" out of the cliff and eventually roll out to sea.  Just amazing.

Dunedin Church

DunedinChurch.thumb.jpg.6cea4d663862b0cf32f49d497e635612.jpg

The Moeraki boulders

P1000441.thumb.JPG.65fa7f21c55a61540debe424de41cc59.JPG

P1000440.thumb.JPG.15d257aa6896bbd6df6adad7b88fdf70.JPG

P1000443.thumb.JPG.021a5d220a430f6c755ff5e85fce372a.JPG

They are pretty big!

P1000438.thumb.JPG.1fbf649928600a2491ddf72e5f51d55a.JPG

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

@MISTER 67 I agree with this statement and I hope you reconsider.

Most of us who read and post on the Daily Report thread come here because we share news (some about cruises, some personal, etc.) and for the most part is a positive experience. I admit I am HAL loyalist (or some call a "cheerleader"), however several of the people who post on this thread go on other cruise lines and others do not cruise at all anymore. That doesn't stop any of them from posting here at all. 

Excellent points.

We are Princess and P&O loyalists both Carnival brands like HAL as well as being a Royal Caribbean Loyalist and also sailed on Sun cruises,NCL and MSC.

I only get involved in threads I can honestly contribute positively to through our own experiences.

The Daily is unique in it's format in that although we have never sailed HAL yet I can contribute to every day and the number of likes I get pleases me enormously.

I class you all as wonderful caring friends.

Graham xx

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon all,

Thank you all for the Bon voyage wishes.

We have a beautiful day here in Boston. Boarding was a cinch, and we were in our cabin before noon. Had lunch on the Lido, and yes, that peanut silk pie is delicious. Not sure now who suggested it, but I had a piece in your name. 😁 One note about the Lido: it seems they only have sweetened ice tea (read “syrup” in the dispenser, but DH found the real thing in the pitchers. 😁

Getting ready to muster.

We had a great time in Plimoth and Plymouth yesterday. Walked by the sarcophagus where my 9th? Great grandfather (Thomas Rogers) is. It was a step back into a happy past to drive in the New England countryside. The car rental turned out to be the best as we spent the day at our leisure at Plimoth without the time restrictions of a tour. 

Have a great day everyone!

IMG_4806.jpeg

IMG_4805.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

We're finally getting some rain showers and the long stretch of hot, sunny days is over.  As DH just said, are we getting an early fall or just a reprieve? Who knows? It could be hot again next week.  

Three interesting days.  Mosquitoes and I do not get along -- one bite and I swell up and itch for days.  Great quote from George Carlin -- one of the better comedians.  I'll pass on the red wine, drink and meal.....carrot dog???  🤣  We were in Dunedin on the GANZ.  It was my first time in NZ and I loved everything about it.  We took a tour to see Larnach Castle and Olveston, a historic home.  It was a great tour up until the end when the  guide said we didn't have time to look at the gardens at Olveston. 😞  I put in a complaint because the tour description said "and don't miss the gardens at Olveston!"  hmm...  

Bon Voyage Laura @TiogaCruiser!

Welcome home Laura @Horizon chaser 1957!

Wow Jacqui @kazu 16 offers!  I've never, ever heard of anyone getting so many.  I'm thrilled for you that you were happy with the offer, but know this is an emotional time for you.  Hugs

@MISTER 67 I'll echo what everyone else has said, please don't stop posting here.  Everyone is welcome.  I looked up the post and truly don't think anything was meant by Joy @Seasick Sailor.  She said it in fun, and no disrespect intended.

Joy @Seasick Sailor Prayers for your dear sister today.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser I hope today's dental appointment to get the impressions made won't be too grueling for you.

Edi @NextOne Prayers for a successful surgery today and speedy recovery.

@Denise T Congratulations on becoming a Certified Travel Advisor!  You have a lot on your plate!

Susan @durangoscots I'm so glad you'll be joining us on the 28-day Alaska cruise next summer. 🙂  

@doobieb Very glad to hear that your DH is feeling better.

Here are a few photos of our day in Dunedin.  I'm not posting interior shots of the castle as they would be just like those already posted by Sandi @StLouisCruisers (great photos!)

Sailing in

SailingintoDunedin.thumb.jpg.062ec229298d98ba98eb38efc31b6d89.jpg

View from our balcony

PortChalmers.thumb.jpg.8699db9759a61d337bcab3f50e988bde.jpg

Entrance to Larnach Castle

LarnachCastle2.jpg.a751ea56a94db5c30eec291584d83cb9.jpg

Larnach Castle

LarnachCastle.thumb.jpg.ab277f34ce61b9eab2234c628d348832.jpg

I love this scene of the castle and grounds.

LarnachCastlegrounds.jpg.54eff0ee2c8f0055af2f0322c8ea5113.jpg

A few photos of flowers in the gardens

castlegardens.thumb.jpg.ea292556318e5373e5cd1999ebae839d.jpg

castlegardens2.jpg.3e663f0294de321e02260fc9c441d838.jpg

And my favorite, Alice in Wonderland in the gardens.

AliceinWonderland.jpg.bcc6e01ce8bea729ca4b48bd0c6dab8a.jpg

Driving to Olveston House

ViewsondrivetoOlveston.jpg.bd51c489f29c6eb73aafbe1a5571d2fc.jpg

Olveston.  No photos allowed inside and no time for the gardens. 😞  

Olveston.jpg.be967f32c1c48f9cc86ef7ff4dd17a9e.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 10

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Good morning.

I haven’t been a fan of HAL for a while, at one time it was our favorite cruise line but I believe the company has lost its way.

Yesterday in another thread someone questioned why I continue to post on the Daily Report, maybe they thought I was a hypocrite so this will be my last post on the Daily, it was fun and I really enjoyed interacting with all of you. 
Have a great day, stay well and safe.

No please, you’re family!  Please ignore those negative Nellie’s.  I haven’t cruised for awhile either.   All are welcome here!  We have some who have never been on a HAL ship.  

@TiogaCruiser  Bon Voyage!  
@Seasick Sailor remembering Bonnie today!  Hope all goes as well as possible.  Glad she could get in earlier. 
@kazu congratulations!   Wow 16 offers!  Unbelievable but with so many showings I’m not surprised.  Seems like your realtors knew what they were doing.  Now take gentle care of yourself,  it’s a huge transition.  One day at a time,  hope the surgeon can help resolve things.  Hugs! 

So much fun seeing the photos of New Zealand,  DS is booking a trip there this fall.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

We have also been to Port Chalmers and Dunedin and after all the beautiful pictures from  @StLouisCruisers ,  and a number of others I don’t think there is much more to be seen than more sheep and more nice gorges but I will try to find a few shots.

image.thumb.jpeg.f1660a94f1268c2a8225218e28c49ba9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2938b1b6d0e11b3cbc6c893354f5a0dc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cb7b690af905739138042052956367c6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.94a7e04a6a573cf25b409d58f60b2146.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7483127655374cc0fafeb17da347fe1b.jpeg

The bank was closed …….

image.thumb.jpeg.57f57c32cc7d97e108c61addaeae66f7.jpeg

Lots of places to go to …….. we even have the direction to the South Pole 

image.thumb.jpeg.69b3b91aa53e6db7b368fac959471c18.jpeg

Kids were selling their ware for a school project but  from the looks were eating most of it themselves .

image.thumb.jpeg.f2bfc81769eba3c89b189adc844e1563.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.f7a95c3c451617766f6df3babb618cf8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e1e2f723042965c8c7ead936c6f8c378.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cf9ed4a454843a87d44950baa5df0445.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.36c07432b4fe721e5103647629c444ce.jpeg

It was a very nice day and we enjoyed the Train ride 

Have a great day everybody , best wishes for all !

Tony 😁
Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 6

Good morning and Happy Tuesday. I was able to get a lot of organizing done yesterday and have 90% set out to be packed. I somehow need to fit in a pedicure.  

I have heard of carrot hotdogs but they aren’t for me. I’m making something easy today, probably pizza. TJ’s has really good frozen pizza and our favorite is the Tarte Alsace. 

Jacqui @kazu, congratulations on the good offer. I’ll be thinking of you as you prepare to move. 

Joy @Seasick Sailor, prayers for Bonnie today as she has her surgery. 

Edi @NextOne, praying for your hip surgery and recovery. 

@MISTER 67, the Daily in this extended format came about during the shutdown when the ships weren’t moving. Rich @richwmn added topics that we could discuss along with what was happening in our lives. He was very smart because it brought us all together during a stressful time and one that we couldn’t cruise. You contribute to this Daily discussion. I remember you talking about your move to Port Charlotte, your golf game and your weekly omelette. I will miss your comments if you decide to stop posting. 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good afternoon all,

Thank you all for the Bon voyage wishes.

We have a beautiful day here in Boston. Boarding was a cinch, and we were in our cabin before noon. Had lunch on the Lido, and yes, that peanut silk pie is delicious. Not sure now who suggested it, but I had a piece in your name. 😁 One note about the Lido: it seems they only have sweetened ice tea (read “syrup” in the dispenser, but DH found the real thing in the pitchers. 😁

Getting ready to muster.

We had a great time in Plimoth and Plymouth yesterday. Walked by the sarcophagus where my 9th? Great grandfather (Thomas Rogers) is. It was a step back into a happy past to drive in the New England countryside. The car rental turned out to be the best as we spent the day at our leisure at Plimoth without the time restrictions of a tour. 

IMG_4806.jpeg

IMG_4805.jpeg

Laura— Bon Voyage!

How was the traffic getting to the port?  We’ve gotten emails to expect traffic delays. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

We're finally getting some rain showers and the long stretch of hot, sunny days is over.  As DH just said, are we getting an early fall or just a reprieve? Who knows? It could be hot again next week.  

Three interesting days.  Mosquitoes and I do not get along -- one bite and I swell up and itch for days.  Great quote from George Carlin -- one of the better comedians.  I'll pass on the red wine, drink and meal.....carrot dog???  🤣  We were in Dunedin on the GANZ.  It was my first time in NZ and I loved everything about it.  We took a tour to see Larnach Castle and Olveston, a historic home.  It was a great tour up until the end when the  guide said we didn't have time to look at the gardens at Olveston. 😞  I put in a complaint because the tour description said "and don't miss the gardens at Olveston!"  hmm...  

Bon Voyage Laura @TiogaCruiser!

Welcome home Laura @Horizon chaser 1957!

Wow Jacqui @kazu 16 offers!  I've never, ever heard of anyone getting so many.  I'm thrilled for you that you were happy with the offer, but know this is an emotional time for you.  Hugs

@MISTER 67 I'll echo what everyone else has said, please don't stop posting here.  Everyone is welcome.  I looked up the post and truly don't think anything was meant by Joy @Seasick Sailor.  She said it in fun, and no disrespect intended.

Joy @Seasick Sailor Prayers for your dear sister today.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser I hope today's dental appointment to get the impressions made won't be too grueling for you.

Edi @NextOne Prayers for a successful surgery today and speedy recovery.

@Denise T Congratulations on becoming a Certified Travel Advisor!  You have a lot on your plate!

Susan @durangoscots I'm so glad you'll be joining us on the 28-day Alaska cruise next summer. 🙂  

@doobieb Very glad to hear that your DH is feeling better.

Here are a few photos of our day in Dunedin.  I'm not posting interior shots of the castle as they would be just like those already posted by Sandi @StLouisCruisers (great photos!)

Sailing in

SailingintoDunedin.thumb.jpg.062ec229298d98ba98eb38efc31b6d89.jpg

View from our balcony

PortChalmers.thumb.jpg.8699db9759a61d337bcab3f50e988bde.jpg

Entrance to Larnach Castle

LarnachCastle2.jpg.a751ea56a94db5c30eec291584d83cb9.jpg

Larnach Castle

LarnachCastle.thumb.jpg.ab277f34ce61b9eab2234c628d348832.jpg

I love this scene of the castle and grounds.

LarnachCastlegrounds.jpg.54eff0ee2c8f0055af2f0322c8ea5113.jpg

A few photos of flowers in the gardens

castlegardens.thumb.jpg.ea292556318e5373e5cd1999ebae839d.jpg

castlegardens2.jpg.3e663f0294de321e02260fc9c441d838.jpg

And my favorite, Alice in Wonderland in the gardens.

AliceinWonderland.jpg.bcc6e01ce8bea729ca4b48bd0c6dab8a.jpg

Driving to Olveston House

ViewsondrivetoOlveston.jpg.bd51c489f29c6eb73aafbe1a5571d2fc.jpg

Olveston.  No photos allowed inside and no time for the gardens. 😞  

Olveston.jpg.be967f32c1c48f9cc86ef7ff4dd17a9e.jpg

Lovely photos.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Good morning.

I haven’t been a fan of HAL for a while, at one time it was our favorite cruise line but I believe the company has lost its way.

Yesterday in another thread someone questioned why I continue to post on the Daily Report, maybe they thought I was a hypocrite so this will be my last post on the Daily, it was fun and I really enjoyed interacting with all of you. 
Have a great day, stay well and safe.

And some folks never even go on HAL ships but enjoy this post.

Please stay

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LambKnuckles said:

Thank you for the Daily!!  These reports are fun and informative!!

Great reasons for today!

Fun quote!

Carrot Dogs???

Great wine and drink!!

Can't wait to someday see New Zealand!

I too want to someday see NZ but the long flights have kept so far.

Yes I too was wondering what Carrot Dogs were?  

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Just in time for Mosquito Day, the CDC issued an advisory about yet another skeeter-borne disease. "The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is warning clinicians to be on the lookout for a viral disease that is spread by small flies and some types of mosquitoes and that causes sudden fever, severe headaches and chills.

Cases of Oropouche virus disease have been climbing in South America and the Caribbean in the past two years, and turned deadly for the first time this year."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2024/08/17/oropouche-virus-disease-cdc-warning/

Pass on the pseudo-hot dogs. Also pass on the drink: too complicated. Plenty of Syrah/Shiraz in the Finger Lakes, although it tends to be more like France than Australia. I'll suggest the 2021 from Glenora, $23.99. "[E]legant aromas of plum, brown baking spice, molasses and hints of chocolate covered orange. Bright red fruit flavors course across the palate with lively acidity that will give it a long life in bottle."

@MISTER 67, sailing on Holland America is not a requirement for posting in the Daily. I've cruised with other lines much more than with HAL, and this will likely continue since I choose mostly by itinerary and fare, and most HAL cruises don't work for me.

bluetoothbaby.jpg.eddc9223052fe1b1c18b98080dfd7ff2.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1