Today is Knife Day, National Waffle Iron Day, and Pluto Demoted Day

I'm an optimist, but an optimist who carries a raincoat. - Harold Wilson

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Drink of the Day - Harvey Wallbanger
Wine of the Day - Las Rocas Garnacha
Destination of the Day - Kota Kinabalu, Sabahlaem, Malaysia

Today in History:
1662 Act of Uniformity requires English to accept Book of Common Prayer
1814 British forces capture Washington, D.C. and destroy many landmarks (War of 1812)
1869 The Waffle Iron is Patented in the United States
1949 NATO is Established

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Seattle, Washington   0700-1500  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Vancouver, Canada   0700-1600  

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver
At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada eta 08-25  

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, round-trip North Cape The Midnight Sun
Amsterdam, Holland   0700-1500  

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier
At Sea Destination Whittier, Alaska eta 08-25  

Oosterdam --- 7 days, round-trip All Star Irish Cruise
Souda, Greece   0000-0000  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Viking Sagas
Rotterdam (Amsterdam), Holland   0700-1500  

Volendam --- 11 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal
At Sea Destination Corner Brook, Newfoundland eta 08-25  

Westerdam --- 7 days, round-trip Escape With Effy
Victoria, British Columbia   2000-2359  

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Skagway, Alaska   0630-2100  

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City
Boston, Massachusetts   0700-1500  

0824AAtlantic.png

0824AlaskaA.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 25

Today’s Care List:

Vict0riann’s DH Pat hospitalized with viral pneumonia

Lindaler’s DS with an emergency situation

Hal Sailer diagnosed with Lymphoma

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Heartgrove’s DSIL post surgery for tri-malleolar ankle fracture

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie post breast cancer surgery

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with memory and anxiety issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Crazy for Cats (Jake & Juan)!

Bon Voyage Dfish (Debbie & Sue)!

Bon Voyage Sharon in AZ (Sharon & Craig)!

Welcome home Cunnorl!

Welcome home St Pete Cruiser!

Kazu accepting an offer on her house

Cruising-along’s good results on tests done

NextOne doing well post hip surgery

Lazey1’s DS Tony making slow improvement

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for LAFFNVEGAS (Westerdam Aug 25 to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer

1 day for Dobiemom (Westerdam Aug 25 to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer

7 days for Tbay (Volendam Aug 31 to Sept 10) 10 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery + (Volendam Sept 10 to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 59th Anniversary

RMLincoln (Emerald Princess to Aug 28) 17d Greenland & Canada, Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary, 0106 (Rotterdam to Aug 31) 14d Best of Norway, TiogaCruiser (Volendam to Aug 31) 11d Newfoundland & New England Discovery, Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas to Aug 31) 9d Canada/New England, Crazy For Cats (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Dfish (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery, Sharon in AZ (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 29

Harvey Wallbanger cocktail:

The Harvey Wallbanger is a modern classic cocktail that was reportedly born in the 1950s, when it was first prepared by California bartender Donato “Duke” Antone. It’s basically a Screwdriver with the addition of Galliano, an Italian liqueur.
The Harvey Wallbanger may have been invented in the ’50s (although that origin is debated), but it didn’t become a runaway sensation until the early 1970s. An import company’s marketing director, George Bednar, created an ad campaign that helped the drink fly off shelves as customers began to order it by name.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 oz (3 parts) Vodka,
1/2 oz (1 part) Galliano,
3 oz (6 parts) Fresh orange juice

Preparation:
Stir the vodka and orange juice with ice in the glass, then float the Galliano on top. Garnish and serve.

Screenshot 2024-08-24 at 6.33.16 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 24

Good morning friends!  It’s 80F right now with a high of 99 expected and sunshine.  Yesterday it did get to be about 102F.  I only went out for dinner at Olive Garden, Ren’s requested restaurant.  We got right in, enjoyed the food and my glass of wine, and the conversation.  This morning Ren doesn’t have PT so he will sleep in while DH and I go to DFW to pick up DS.  Hopefully DS got more sleep on this 12 1/2 hour flight.  Yesterday he slept 3 hours of the 6 hour flight from Singapore to Seoul.  He won’t want to sleep the day away today I know.

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the ship location maps.  We have an odd assortment of days to recognize.  The quote sounds like me.  Love slow cooked pulled pork!  I feel like I’ve had a Harvey Wallbanger at some point in my life, but don’t know about the wine.  Too many days in history for my brain to register this early in the morning.  Thanks to Eva @superoma, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reporting this morning.

Prayers again today for DB, twin sister, DD, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our military members in harm’s way.  Special prayers for our Care list individuals including Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Ann and Pat, Melisa and her DH, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB, Jack's DSIL, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Roy, Jane’s DS, Terri and Jim, and Vanessa. Thanks go to Vanessa @JazzyV for her hard work on the lists today.  Glad you saw some improvement in your dizziness yesterday!

The port this morning is Kota Kinabalu, Sabahlaem, Malaysia.  I have not been to that port before and we’ve had it listed here before on March 9, 2021 and May 2, 2022.  Here are the links for your convenience.

Welcome home Charlene @cunnorl ad @St Pete Cruiser!!  I know you both enjoyed your cruise.  Now it's time for Debbie @dfish and Sue, Sharon @Sharon in AZ and Craig, and Jake @Crazy For Cats and Juan to enjoy the Zuiderdam!  

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Enjoy this beautiful Saturday everyone!  Please try to stay safe and keep well!

• Like 34
  • Thanks 10

Posted (edited)

Good morning and thank you for today's daily reports.

It is cloudy and 63°F.

3 interesting days and quote.

Important history days today.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a lovely day.

Screenshot_20240824_113533.jpg

IMG_20240824_112016.jpg

IMG_20240824_111540.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 9

Posted (edited)

Good morning and Happy Saturday!  Today is the day!  Zuiderdam here we come!  We’re calling this “Debbie, Sue & Sharon’s Excellent Adventure”! 

I saw Debbie @dfish had posted some food pictures. I’m going to add what I had for lunch. Sfogliatella:

**Edited picture out**

Hmmm, hope it comes out, I’ve been having trouble with pictures lately. 

Have a great day!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
Removed blank picture
  • Like 41
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s a beautiful day here allowing for a nice sail away this afternoon.  I booked a ride service to take us to the pier.  It’s actually cheaper than paying for parking.  Also doing those final items to leave the house for two weeks.  @dfish and @Sharon in AZ see you soon!  I hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 39

Thank you for the Reports and Daily!!

It's a hot and humid time of year, here...  so...  It's nice to be inside, at my computer, visiting with friends!!

Thank you @grapau27 for the explanation on Pluto Demoted Day...  DARNED Neil!!  He should just mind his own business... 

"My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas" had to be changed to...

"My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Noodles"  Poor Pizza!!!  

I'm not a waffle person.  I'll eat them, but pancakes are more fun!!  

And, I was taught to not PLAY with knives...  But I love my carving and cooking knives and am very protective of them!!!  AND...  I enjoy each season of "Forged in Fire"!!!

I did pulled Pork earlier this week!  GREAT CHOICE!!!

And the rest is perfect, too!!

19 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Zuiderdam here we come!  We’re calling this “Debbie, Sue & Sharon’s Excellent Adventure”! 

14 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s a beautiful day here allowing for a nice sail away this afternoon.  I booked a ride service to take us to the pier.  It’s actually cheaper than paying for parking.  Also doing those final items to leave the house for two weeks.  @dfish and @Sharon in AZ see you soon!  I hope everyone has a good day today.

BON VOYAGE, all y'all!!!

And @RedneckBob -- next time I'm in Miami...  I WANT your suggestion for a Cubana Sandwich!!!

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Good Saturday morning everyone.  A long day ahead of us.  Just because we spend the day away doesn't mean all the plants in pots don't need water. 

Thanks for the daily and maps Rich.  Let's celebrate knives, I doubt there is a day that goes by without touching them. I agree with Wilson, a raincoat would be very important where he lived.  I haven't been to today's port.  I'll pass on the slow cooker, the Harvey Wallbanger, remember the HW cake, and Las Rocas Garnacha.  The Las Rocas was a value favorite until one vintage it gave me a major migraine.  Afraid to go back.  

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.  I hope that your dizziness is getting better.   Prayers for Tana and Terry, Annie and Chuck, Pat and Ann, Terri and Jim, Melissa, Bonnie, Sandi's DB, Jacqui and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza.  

Have a lovely day everyone!  Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich and thanks to Vanessa, Eva, Dixie & Ann.

I  like the quote.  You can be an optimist and be prepared at the same time.  I made pulled pork for DD DH but now that he’s not here, I’ll pass on it. 😉  When I was very young I had the drink of the day.  It really hit me being a rare drinker and it was the last one I had 😂

IMG_2715.jpeg.f8b34dc466c721975e2b08ea421a7903.jpeg

Well the vascular surgeon might not have examined me but my foot care nurse pronounced she could tell all was good by just the colour of my foot.  (It was she who discovered the issue).She agreed that being knocked down for so long causes muscle problems, etc  and is going to put in a call to his secretary but thinks the follow up is not a bad idea.

IMG_2719.thumb.jpeg.5d8f5d77a9c8099bfe3182aba334477f.jpeg

Apartment date is up in the air until Tuesday ‘sigh’ as the apartment needs more work than anticipated once the stuff is moved out.  Hopefully I can get in before my appointments in the city 🤞 My account will be adjusted due to the late timing 👍  I’ll be sure to remind her when I get the date.

IMG_2718.jpeg.c147c3a3946278fba0398efd58f45d5c.jpeg

Ivan is off to be beautified for the last time at the groomer I have loved for so many years.   I hope the new one is equally good. 🤞 I’ll get some errands done and then it’s the last spread sheet to update and down to more sorting, packing and shredding.  Some of that may be carried over until Sunday LOL 😉 

IMG_2716.jpeg.598bfa47cc5e714e482e4b2177b6bca8.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list & those who need them.  🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and crag 🥂 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

Slow cooker pulled pork. 

Here comes the slow cooker again. This recipe uses bottled sauce as one of the ingredients. Serve this on a nice crusty roll. Full disclosure- I am not a fan of pulled pork.

Slow Cooker Texas Pulled Pork Recipe (with Video)

image.png.33289e0deecfb8043c8c8b84990943d5.png

The BEST Crock Pot Pulled Pork - The Recipe Rebel

This recipe uses apple juice instead of apple cider vinegar and slightly different spices. Suggestion to use a pork loin rather than pork shoulder for leaner pulled pork

image.png.71008402633843e7f1c3905777572738.png

Best Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe - How to Make Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

This recipe calls for apple cider rather than apple cider vinegar

image.thumb.png.3e754e9e5f3261790f151f2c5cb5efd8.png

All of them have a long cooking time so a perfect recipe to start in the morning and have it ready first supper.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 20

Posted (edited)

It’s a little warmer this morning in Michigan at 53 and maybe a quick rain shower in the next hour.

More relatives arrived yesterday and we had a wonderful reunion and delicious dinner and wines.

This afternoon we head down to Travers City to attend the big barbershop singers prrformance.My BIL is the chairman of his barbershop group so it has been a busy week for him and with all of us here even more so.

Thanks for the reports and post.

@kazu Sounds like some encouraging news from your nurse.

image.jpeg.1ebed354d5c2aa16bb8a4420af98f58b.jpeg

image.jpeg.bf8e3c73c6ce830368646e8f85c06659.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Rich!  It is lovely out now, after a late afternoon & evening of T-storms yesterday.  

Vanessa, praying that your maneuver eliminates the vertigo permanently. Thank you for keeping up with all of us!

Gym, chores, Bindi walks, afternoon wine tasting, then take out salads from Panera and relax at my place. 

IMG_3319.jpeg.2e079005bbe095cb68ef8e010c375c3c.jpeg

IMG_3318.jpeg.8b2c9c14e1123e803b5c0f86766f9261.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg.783d35efc41febfc1ce4c73326baa029.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Praying for Tana & a super level of feistiness. Terry, bless your brother for giving you a bit of a break. Prayers for Melisa & DH, Ann & Pat, Chuck & Annie, Jacqui, @NextOne, Tony, Terri & Jim, and all our caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Bon Voyage to Jake & Juan, Debbie & Sue and Sharon & Craig. Have a wonderful trip!

May we each find something to smile about today!

Las Rocas Garnacha 2019

This Garnacha (Grenache) sounds lovely. I used the 2019 vintage info. And its price is so reasonable, if one doesn’t like it - you can use it for cooking. I would love to try it. Prices start at $11.99. 

Distributor notes

One of the most distinctive wines in the world, Las Rocas is a wine made of Garnacha that tries to represent the performance of this variety in two subzones of Calatayud (Sierra Vicort and Sierra Santa Cruz), looking for a style of wine of complete phenolic maturity and soft tannins after its ageing in tanks and barrels.

Vineyards between 40 – 60 years old bush trained with natural drainage and an average yield of 3500 kg/ha. The vineyard is located in the most representative villages of the DO Calatayud with the characteristic gravel soils (colluvial rock with red clay).

Fermentation at a controlled temperature between 22°C and 24°C. Fermentation-maceration during 15 days in concrete vats adjusting the treatments of maceration (pumping-over, delestage and skin contact time) to the features of each batch of grapes and its evolution during vinification. 80% of the total blend ages for one year in concrete vats and the remaining 20% in barrels of several uses.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 3

Good morning.  Happy Saturday.  Thanks for being there.

Another cool start to the day, but we should have a lovely sunny afternoon with a high of 27C (81F).  

Three good days to celebrate.  Good knives are important, and a sharp knife is safer than a dull one.  I have a waffle iron, but rarely use it.  I don't think Pluto cares whether it's a planet or not, it's still out there being Pluto.

Love the quote.

Yes to the meal, drink and wine.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a terrific day.

• Like 31

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It’s 80F right now with a high of 99 expected and sunshine.  Yesterday it did get to be about 102F.  I only went out for dinner at Olive Garden, Ren’s requested restaurant.  We got right in, enjoyed the food and my glass of wine, and the conversation.  This morning Ren doesn’t have PT so he will sleep in while DH and I go to DFW to pick up DS.  Hopefully DS got more sleep on this 12 1/2 hour flight.  Yesterday he slept 3 hours of the 6 hour flight from Singapore to Seoul.  He won’t want to sleep the day away today I know.

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the ship location maps.  We have an odd assortment of days to recognize.  The quote sounds like me.  Love slow cooked pulled pork!  I feel like I’ve had a Harvey Wallbanger at some point in my life, but don’t know about the wine.  Too many days in history for my brain to register this early in the morning.  Thanks to Eva @superoma, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reporting this morning.

Prayers again today for DB, twin sister, DD, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our military members in harm’s way.  Special prayers for our Care list individuals including Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Ann and Pat, Melisa and her DH, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB, Jack's DSIL, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Roy, Jane’s DS, Terri and Jim, and Vanessa. Thanks go to Vanessa @JazzyV for her hard work on the lists today.  Glad you saw some improvement in your dizziness yesterday!

The port this morning is Kota Kinabalu, Sabahlaem, Malaysia.  I have not been to that port before and we’ve had it listed here before on March 9, 2021 and May 2, 2022.  Here are the links for your convenience.

Welcome home Charlene @cunnorl ad @St Pete Cruiser!!  I know you both enjoyed your cruise.  Now it's time for Debbie @dfish and Sue, Sharon @Sharon in AZ and Craig, and Jake @Crazy For Cats and Juan to enjoy the Zuiderdam!  

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Enjoy this beautiful Saturday everyone!  Please try to stay safe and keep well!

The Zuiderdam returned safely and on time into Boston. One of our best cruises. 

20240824_071321.jpg

20240824_032022.jpg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
Thank you Rich, thank you Eva, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

DSIL is doing well. The nerve block did not wear off until mid-morning. Sue and I have been trying to plan ahead for when she comes home next week.

We have also been doing further planning on our cruises next Spring. Watched a couple of YouTube videos on Valencia, Spain as we will have three days there between cruises.

The last three mornings have been quite cool. Right now it is 64 degrees but Summer returns next week.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 32

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Saturday!  Today is the day!  Zuiderdam here we come!  We’re calling this “Debbie, Sue & Sharon’s Excellent Adventure”! 

I saw Debbie @dfish had posted some food pictures. I’m going to add what I had for lunch. Sfogliatella:

**Edited picture out**

Hmmm, hope it comes out, I’ve been having trouble with pictures lately. 

Have a great day!

Three Wild Women on the Loose!

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Can’t wait!

47 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Bon Voyage ⛴️🥂 @dfish @Crazy For Cats @Sharon in AZ have a wonderful time but stay out of trouble 🫣

IMG_3409.jpeg.21df2edfd1c663d3d8ed487966a46a06.jpeg.772f4dbda16733f34c876a154e7245c2.jpeg

Stay out of trouble?  That’s no fun!

4 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

The Zuiderdam returned safely and on time into Boston. One of our best cruises. 

20240824_071321.jpg

20240824_032022.jpg

Thanks for returning the Zuiderdam safely!

Thanks to everyone wishing us a wonderful cruise.  How can we not have a great cruise when we’ll have such great companions?  I can’t believe the day is here!!

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1