The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday August 24th, 2024

richwmn

Good morning to all,

Thank you to Rich, Vanessa, Dixie, Ann and Eva for your contributions to the Daily.

I will make sure the knives are sharpened, and be thankful for our NATO allies.  

I have not been to the port.

I have not had a Harvey Wallbanger and from the reports here, I think i will refrain.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers and wonderful advice.

I think i need to make somethings clear.

DH can be left alone for a few hours.  I can go out to run errands, etc. or , like today, get my nails done.  I cannot leave him overnight or go on vacation without him as the Doc suggests.

And i am not sure I want to place him in an ALF.  I am more apt to find home care, if that is feasible, when the time comes.

Today I am celebrating that it is a good day. So far!

@cunnorl Welcome Home.  i am so sorry you fell.  I hope your leg is not too bruised.

Hope everyone has a good day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  I’ve checked in with the airlines* and am almost packed. I love Alaska but the clothes are so much thicker and heavier than a Mexican or Caribbean cruise, and you need more to layer. 🫤

Thank you for the HAL fleet report and all the daily information. And thank you all for caring and sharing.  Prayers 🙏 for everyone who needs them.  Cheers 🎉 for all the celebrations.

*So I’m doing what I recommend NOT to do: I’m flying in the day of the cruise. But there’s a few reasons I think I’ll be OK: 1) It’s a nonstop flight; 2) It’s the first flight out so the plane is not coming from somewhere; 3) There is one flight after mine just in case; 4) If all else fails I have insurance. 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

ScreenShot2024-08-24at07_00_32.png.fd4d54e07dab148b92406cde86968a81.png

Thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I cherish my knives (Henckels), don't have a waffle maker, and Pluto is STILL a planet in my eyes.  Love the quote, make pull pork a lot, never had a Harvey Wallbanger (but may just try one), would love to taste the wine and never been to Malaysia.  Very, very interesting days in history.

ScreenShot2024-08-24at07_19_01.thumb.png.7386bee14702a85f5d7ca3336249ad57.png

A whopper of a thunderstorm came through with lightening cracking super close to me.  The rain was hard and brief and the temps dropped fast.  The smell was so wonderful.  I hope for a repeat today but who knows.  Cool morning at 0700 at 76F with 62% humidity heading up to low to mid 90s.  Should be a nice day.

ScreenShot2024-08-24at07_20_25.thumb.png.ee2793d19a49c57f32320cf5849f75d1.png

Nothing on the agenda today except maybe cleaning as I am pretty busy the next couple of weeks.  Picked up a Rick Steves Spain book yesterday from the library (sorry to have read about his cancer diagnosis but sounds like the prognosis is good) so I need to read that in the next 3 weeks.  

ScreenShot2024-08-24at07_21_00.thumb.png.8c57375661bb9cee258c1fb1f20781d2.png

Someone should call Zuiderdam and warn them about @dfish and Sue, @Sharon in AZ and @Crazy For Cats and DH boarding today!! 😆  But seriously, I hope all of you have a fantastic time!!

ScreenShot2024-08-24at07_23_49.thumb.png.158d7a44c87d98b5fc464a0249fec541.png

Thoughts for all who need extra support.  Cheers for those celebrating.  Have a great Saturday everyone!!

• Like 32

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning and thank you for today's daily reports.

It is cloudy and 63°F.

3 interesting days and quote.

Important history days today.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a lovely day.

Screenshot_20240824_113533.jpg

IMG_20240824_112016.jpg

IMG_20240824_111540.jpg

Yum yum!

As far as removing Pluto, please don’t leave Uranus behind! 😳😳

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

Harvey Wallbanger cocktail:

The Harvey Wallbanger is a modern classic cocktail that was reportedly born in the 1950s, when it was first prepared by California bartender Donato “Duke” Antone. It’s basically a Screwdriver with the addition of Galliano, an Italian liqueur.
The Harvey Wallbanger may have been invented in the ’50s (although that origin is debated), but it didn’t become a runaway sensation until the early 1970s. An import company’s marketing director, George Bednar, created an ad campaign that helped the drink fly off shelves as customers began to order it by name.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 oz (3 parts) Vodka,
1/2 oz (1 part) Galliano,
3 oz (6 parts) Fresh orange juice

Preparation:
Stir the vodka and orange juice with ice in the glass, then float the Galliano on top. Garnish and serve.

Screenshot 2024-08-24 at 6.33.16 AM.png

One of my favorite drinks in college. I have a joke for this drink but would be banned from cc if told it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

Posted (edited)

I take very good care of my knives; each one has a knife guard. I don't have a waffle iron but wish I did, because I like waffles and very few restaurants serve them.

Pluto was a cute dog. What did he get demoted to?

No on the pulled pork. I had a Harvey Wallbanger once, ca. 1972. No Garnacha in the FLX and I hope there never is, because the growing conditions would have to be quite a lot warmer, so I'll choose a wine for today on price: Chateau Lafayette Reneau Cuvee Rouge, $15. "An extremely smooth blend of Baco Noir and Pinot Noir grapes. A bright, lively, bold semi-dry red with a velvety texture that complements any food pairing."

flavorless.jpg.7e853c25b4e0d5309c72065e41cfc58c.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 20
  • Haha 8

Good afternoon all,

Checking in from the Volendam, where we’re about halfway to Newfoundland, and now skewed by 30 minutes to the vast majority of places on earth. 

So I have a question for you: Does this count as poutine?

IMG_5343.thumb.jpeg.557b4fec55528c7829c26893f13d68d6.jpeg

The Lido had a poutine bar at lunch today and I tried to wade into the idea. I thought that it was supposed to have cheese curds/ “fresh cheese pieces” but they only had a cheese sauce. (Actually, we both sort of liked it, and discussed maybe when it’s cold to serve pot roast that way.)

And they had naimino (sp?) bars- yum.

Have a great day everyone!

@Crazy For Cats @Sharon in AZ @dfish  Have a great cruise and enjoy Zuidie.

IMG_5344.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from Logan Airport. 
     Currently sitting at the gate!  Getting off was pretty seamless. Although I was getting off the bus and missed the bottom step. Fell down onto the pavement, cutting my knee,  and hand. Just scraped but really sore. My wrist is swelling so DH went to find ice. I am sure it will be fine. jeezzzz. 

Charlene 

Bubble wrap

I hope the swelling isn't something serious and you heal quickly. 

Screenshot_20240822_151858_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3e0ba6331bf72ba3670d89ccb662e8bc.jpg

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

Good morning Dailyites 

Nice rain storm last night. 97 will be the high today.

Prayers for each of those on the cares list today. My DSis has to wait on a test taken that will take 2 weeks. There was something in her tissue that looked like (I can't recall the name and never heard of it) otherwise she says she's sore but healing.

We are taking a friend with us to the Farmer's market then to lunch. Tonight we are going to a Birthday party. 

Hoping all leaving on cruises and those coming home have safe travels.

Blessings to you all.

• Like 28

Good morning from a very soggy PNW!

As I expected, once the rain finally started we've gotten a lot. 100% this morning and close to that last night.  We're glad we decided not to go to the Beach Boys concert.  It would have been a lot of fun on a warm, dry night but not last night.  The good news is that after this weekend, and when some Dailyites will be here for the Seattle-Japan cruise next week, we'll be having great weather -- in the 70's and lots of sunshine. 🙂  They should have a great sail away from Seattle.

I have a Belgian double waffle iron but rarely use it when it's just DH and me at home.  It does sound good though, I may make waffles tomorrow.  I refuse to think of Pluto as anything less than a full planet.  The meal sounds great, but we had it recently so will pass.  Not sure what we'll have tonight, maybe steak.  Last night we both were hungry for Chinese food and were disappointed to learn that our favorite Chinese restaurant, that we've gone to for decades, is "temporarily closed".....hmm.  I had many a Harvey Wallbanger back in the 70's.  Will pass on the wine and have not been to Malaysia.

Our local blackberries that grow wild everywhere are ripe and DH picked enough for me to make jam today.  There will be enough for a cobbler too, we'll see if I have the energy to do both or if the cobbler will be made tomorrow.

Bon Voyage Debbie and Sue @dfish, Sharon @Sharon in AZ, and Jake and Juan @Crazy For Cats!  I wish I was with you, you're going to have a blast!

Welcome home Charlene @cunnorl!  I was very sorry to hear about your fall and hope you won't be too sore.

Welcome home @St Pete Cruiser!

Terry @smitty34877 It's always good to hear that your DB is there visiting and helping.  He sounds like a jewel. 🙂  

Vanessa @JazzyV I was happy to hear that you think the nausea is improving and hope that continues.  Prayers for good days!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, 

It's a very wet morning here as @Cruising-along said. 

Bon Voyage to @dfish, @Crazy For Cats, and @Sharon in AZ. This round trip is one I'm looking at for the future. Going single and getting to Boston are two of my stumbling blocks. 

My friend who was with me on the Discovery Princess cruise came down with Covid and passed it to her DH. He fell last night, she couldn't get him up, so called 911. They recommended he be taken to the hospital as they thought he was dehydrated. When he got there his temp was 103. Haven't had an update this morning so hope he's on the mend. She didn't have a temp yesterday so that was good. 

Today is getting things done around the house, going to a friends Open House she's hosting, and getting ready for a trip to BC tomorrow to visit Mom. I'm taking a friend with me and we'll take Mom out to lunch. 

Karen

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

53 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

One of my favorite drinks in college. I have a joke for this drink but would be banned from cc if told it.

RedneckBob, this was also one of my favorites in college as well.  If the joke for this drink is the one I am thinking of, then you are smart not to tell it as you would probably be banned from CC for a while.  Where there is a will there always seems to be a wall in the way.  Have a good weekend.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from Logan Airport. 
     Currently sitting at the gate!  Getting off was pretty seamless. Although I was getting off the bus and missed the bottom step. Fell down onto the pavement, cutting my knee,  and hand. Just scraped but really sore. My wrist is swelling so DH went to find ice. I am sure it will be fine. jeezzzz. 

Charlene 

Charlene, I glad you made it to the airport in plenty of time.  But, oh no, on the fall.  I hope it feels better soon.  I see Elizabeth @Haljo1935 beat me with the bubble wrap.  

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Every kitchen needs good, sharp knives, I donated our waffle iron a few years ago as it wasn't getting any use, and I'm sorry Pluto got demoted.  I agree with today's quote; I'm usually prepared for anything.

Well we had quite the storm blow through here last night - started around 11:30 and continued for at least 2 hours.  Heavy winds (trees bending like crazy), horizontal rain (DH couldn't see across the street), and thunder and lightning all around us.  I slept through it.  Seriously, when I go to sleep, I think I go comatose.  I might have been aware of something in a dream, but that's as far as I got.  DH said he was worried that there could be flooding, but did he wake me?  No.  Go figure.  LOL  We had water on the deck (all the windows were open), so I got out there with the sponge mop and took care of that, and that's all the damage we had, thankfully.  This morning our DSIL is coming to replace the kitchen faucet; we're so glad he's handy, as he's saved us the cost of various repair people over the years.

@dfish(Debbie & Sue), @Sharon in AZ(Sharon I think you're traveling solo this time), and @Crazy For Cats(Jake & Juan) Bon Voyage; have a wonderful cruise together.  Can't wait to hear all about it!  And remember, what happens on a BHB stays on a BHB! 

@kazuI do hope the delay in getting into your new home won't be long!

@Cruzin Terrisorry your DH wasn't able to get to the appointment.  I don't think anyone was intimating you should go on a cruise without him, just that there are resources out there to give you an hour or two to yourself.  It's difficult watching someone you love decline, I know.

I've had the drink of the day, but when I used to drink them, would ask for an additional glass of orange juice so I could extend the life of it.  I'd like to try the wine; I've made pulled pork quite often in the slow cooker - a super easy meal when you don't feel like cooking.  I put a pork loin in, add a bottle of barbecue sauce, a package of onion soup mix, a little apple cider vinegar, close the lid and walk away.  Easy, peasy.  Today we're having our "Chinese daughter" Sophia, her DH and their twins, along with her parents over for dinner.  The menu will be a combination of barbecued chicken breasts, baked salmon, pasta salad, coleslaw, garlic roasted potatoes, corn on the cob, and parmesan asparagus that we'll be able to enjoy on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, that sounds like quite a storm.  I'm also one who can sleep through just about anything except a light being turned on.

20 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning from a very soggy PNW!

As I expected, once the rain finally started we've gotten a lot. 100% this morning and close to that last night.  We're glad we decided not to go to the Beach Boys concert.  It would have been a lot of fun on a warm, dry night but not last night.  The good news is that after this weekend, and when some Dailyites will be here for the Seattle-Japan cruise next week, we'll be having great weather -- in the 70's and lots of sunshine. 🙂  They should have a great sail away from Seattle.

I have a Belgian double waffle iron but rarely use it when it's just DH and me at home.  It does sound good though, I may make waffles tomorrow.  I refuse to think of Pluto as anything less than a full planet.  The meal sounds great, but we had it recently so will pass.  Not sure what we'll have tonight, maybe steak.  Last night we both were hungry for Chinese food and were disappointed to learn that our favorite Chinese restaurant, that we've gone to for decades, is "temporarily closed".....hmm.  I had many a Harvey Wallbanger back in the 70's.  Will pass on the wine and have not been to Malaysia.

Our local blackberries that grow wild everywhere are ripe and DH picked enough for me to make jam today.  There will be enough for a cobbler too, we'll see if I have the energy to do both or if the cobbler will be made tomorrow.

Bon Voyage Debbie and Sue @dfish, Sharon @Sharon in AZ, and Jake and Juan @Crazy For Cats!  I wish I was with you, you're going to have a blast!

Welcome home Charlene @cunnorl!  I was very sorry to hear about your fall and hope you won't be too sore.

Welcome home @St Pete Cruiser!

Terry @smitty34877 It's always good to hear that your DB is there visiting and helping.  He sounds like a jewel. 🙂  

Vanessa @JazzyV I was happy to hear that you think the nausea is improving and hope that continues.  Prayers for good days!

Carolyn, when I make waffles, I cook the entire bowl of batter.  What we don't eat that meal, DH will heat the waffles in either the air fryer or toaster for breakfast until he finishes them.

6 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

It's a very wet morning here as @Cruising-along said. 

Bon Voyage to @dfish, @Crazy For Cats, and @Sharon in AZ. This round trip is one I'm looking at for the future. Going single and getting to Boston are two of my stumbling blocks. 

My friend who was with me on the Discovery Princess cruise came down with Covid and passed it to her DH. He fell last night, she couldn't get him up, so called 911. They recommended he be taken to the hospital as they thought he was dehydrated. When he got there his temp was 103. Haven't had an update this morning so hope he's on the mend. She didn't have a temp yesterday so that was good. 

Today is getting things done around the house, going to a friends Open House she's hosting, and getting ready for a trip to BC tomorrow to visit Mom. I'm taking a friend with me and we'll take Mom out to lunch. 

Karen

Karen, I'm sorry your friend's DH contracted Covid and is now in the hospital.  I hope they are both over Covid soon.   

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, Dailyites, and thank you to all for the birthday wishes yesterday, plus the get wells for Pat.  He is chagrinned that I talk about him on CC, but what the heck!  I really like having your support.  He did get a chest x-ray late yesterday, and I hope the doctor comes in today to give him the results.  I'm sure he could do better at home, if he's not still on oxygen and iv antibiotics and fluids.   My oncologist appointment was fine;  just a confirmation of dates for the next stuff.  I have to have a CT scan and I have to be able to inhale a huge breath (for my lungs to push my heart toward my right side) and hold it for 20 seconds, so I am practicing.  I will also get two tattoos, so they know where to point the radiation.  Pat hates tattoos and blue jeans - when I am annoyed with him I threaten to get a tattoo, and when the kids are annoyed with him they threaten to bury him in blue jeans!  He couldn't believe it when I said I will have TWO tattoos soon!  

My days are busy, there seems to be a lot of driving, back and forth to the hospital, plus chores around here.  Today I must check the mail, it hasn't been done all week, and also fill the hummingbird feeders, both Pat's jobs.  DD ran the dishwasher last night.  It rained here all night, yay, we really needed it, the trees are looking freshly washed.

Bon voyage to those sailing soon!   Tomorrow I will be cancelling our October cruise.  Boo hoo...  And Pat wants to cancel our next year's Norway cruise, as it is so late in the year, he thinks it will be too cold.  Maybe we'll book the Oosterdam TA.  Of course, who knows if we will be travelling at all anymore....

Pat is now emailing so I'd better get a move on.  I'll be thinking of you all!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Good knives are essential in the kitchen. I haven't used my waffle iron in a while. I still think of Pluto as a planet. Good quote. Yes to the meal, although not today. Also I'd take the drink and wine. I haven't been to Kota Kinabalu. 3 good days in history, and a bad day for Washington, DC.

Another chilly start in the upper 40's, but it's warming up nicely (79F) and is sunny. Today my little town has its Community day. It started with a run. Then a community yard sale from 8-12, which makes traffic awful. This afternoon there's stuff in the park, including food and beer sold by the Fire Dept, tents with crafts for sale, games for kids, etc. Ending with fireworks around 9:30 (I can usually see them from an upstairs window). I'm just staying at home and puttering around the house.

Bon Voyage  @Crazy For Cats (Jake & Juan)!

Bon Voyage @dfish (Debbie & Sue)!

Bon Voyage @Sharon in AZ (Sharon)!

@cunnorl Welcome home! So sorry to hear about your fall. I hope you're ok.

@St Pete Cruiser Welcome home!

@StLouisCruisers Welcome back to your DS. 

@grapau27 Thanks for the explanation. Nice looking lunch.

@kazu I'm glad the nurse felt your foot circulation was looking ok. Sorry more needs to be done to the apartment, but you want it to be in great shape when you move in. Ivan will be looking spiffy today, I'm sure.

@superoma Thanks for the recipes. 

@smitty34877 It sounds like a nice dinner was brought by DB. I'm glad he's there, both for the support and the laughter.

@Sir PMP Thanks for the photos and info.

@Cruzin Terri We know you will do what's best for your DH.

@luvteaching So sorry your cruising friend not only got Covid, but passed it to her DH, and that he fell and had that high temperature. I hope he's doing better today. 

@Vict0riann Keeping good thoughts for Pat, and that he gets to go home soon. I'm glad your treatment plans are taking shape. It's hard running back and forth when someone is in the hospital. 

@AroundWithMAPTravels Ha ha!

@Haljo1935 I hope your kitty is doing better.

@HAL Sailer Thinking of you and your DH.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9

Posted (edited)

Kota Kinabalu Malaysia is not very often visited by a HAL ship but we were one of the lucky ones to land there  when on the Volendam from Sydney to Singapore and on December 18th , 2015  and were welcomed by a native band and dancers . 

On a private tour in a small group we went to the Mari Mari Cultural Village where we learned of all the native living , cooking , dancing , hunting and many other very interesting customs and also had a delicious lunch there . 

After that we drove to the Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort where next to it we visited the Orang Utan Sanctuary and orphanage in a Nature Reserve .

A great day was had by all and when it was time we were back on board to go to the next Port with Captain Frank van der Hoeven to Muara, Brunei ……….

We really enjoyed this very cultural day , hope you liked the pictures I had to chose out of many taken that day 

Tony 😁
Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Clear and cool with the high around 75. Currently, 10:30, it is 65. We had a hard rain last night with lots of lightening and thunder. More predicted for tonight.

Made a quick store run this morning as I was out of eggs, bread and cheese. Picked up other necessities including some cleaning supplies and my checkout was over $100. Glad I am only shopping for one. On the other hand I lucked out with my car .... oil change was my free every 33rd time and since I was at the dealership where I bought the car they waived on all charges. So I think I am now set for the winter.

Lots of yelling in the neighbor's driveway this morning... I heard the words "tree roots". I wonder what the issue was although I can guess - no insurance and in that building all 4 units are owned by one person who is a bit tight with his money (any time there is work to be done he votes "no"). I suspect the building whose driveway was torn up is telling him he has to pay for the repairs as his unit planted the offending trees.

Most of you probably saw where a woman on a "vision quest" type of outing was lost in the mountains here for a few days. She was found safe, but the sheriff had come down pretty hard on her and the outfit that arranged it. "Nature will try to kill you"... was included in his comments (she had been told not use her phone - it was suggested not have it with her -  and to fast while she was alone in the area). None of these is a good idea. It reminded me of when I was Dean (for one year- I hated the job) at the college and we had a Faculty member who wanted to do "vision quests" for students and was highly offended when I spoke against it because 1) it is a Native American religious rite, not to be treated lightly 2) Fasting for the time in the mountains is a very poor idea 3) going solo is asking for trouble and 4) the one that got the project vetoed by the reviewing committee and the college President - if you require these things of students to get a grade....you can be sued!!!! I emphasized number 1 but the President was more impressed by number 4.

Take care all.

Susan

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all. @JazzyVplease remove my DS from the prayer list.  There are so many more in need. Right now it is a waiting game and while we are still praying for a good outcome, he has made me promise to go on this trip. The outcome may not even come before my return. If I cancel and stay I will just wear out a path through my house from pacing so I might as well be cruising. Having the internet on board helps with staying in touch.  Prayers for all who need them, and celebrations for others. My bags are packed and I am ready to go, just a few more days and I will see some of you in person. 

• Like 27