The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday August 24th, 2024

richwmn

2 hours ago, dobiemom said:

*So I’m doing what I recommend NOT to do: I’m flying in the day of the cruise. But there’s a few reasons I think I’ll be OK: 1) It’s a nonstop flight; 2) It’s the first flight out so the plane is not coming from somewhere; 3) There is one flight after mine just in case; 4) If all else fails I have insurance. 

Your strategy sounds good, Marcia.  I hope everything goes smoothly and very smooth travels to you.

\

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So I have a question for you: Does this count as poutine?

IMG_5343.thumb.jpeg.557b4fec55528c7829c26893f13d68d6.jpeg

The Lido had a poutine bar at lunch today and I tried to wade into the idea. I thought that it was supposed to have cheese curds/ “fresh cheese pieces” but they only had a cheese sauce. (Actually, we both sort of liked it, and discussed maybe when it’s cold to serve pot roast that way.)

That is NOT poutine.  Those are fries with geese sauce dumped on them.  Ugh.  Real poutine ha cheese curds and then gravy 0 sometimes meat.  But at least the curds.

13 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

All checked in and unpacked. 

Lunch included peanut butter silk pie.

20240824_124921.thumb.jpg.95694c5d01f87c9a330e9e97967c9b2b.jpg

Juan's anniversary flowers are beautiful.

20240824_122628.thumb.jpg.060d068c2125c98e75d912457c4de632.jpg

Silk pie and gorgeous flowers.  Sounds like a great start to a great cruise to me 🙂 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thanks all! 
@dfish @Sharon in AZ@Crazy For Cats Bon voyage!  
@kazu great news from your foot nurse!  A glimmer of hope!  Hoping your move in date works well for you! 
@smitty34877 so glad your Db is there to share the load. And make dinner!  
We had a crazy storm last night, trees down,  lightning for about an hour.     

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

What if this time I’m the cause of getting them into trouble?😁

I’ll try to make sure we are all allowed to stay onboard for turnaround day.

Oh, please, lead us into temptation.  That’s a lot more fun!

Edited by dfish
  • Like 8
  • Haha 16

Posted (edited)

Posting for Tony @sailingdutchy

Kota Kinabalu Malaysia is not very often visited by a HAL ship but we were one of the lucky ones to land there  when on the Volendam from Sydney to Singapore and on December 18th , 2015  and were welcomed by a native band and dancers . 

On a private tour in a small group we went to the Mari Mari Cultural Village where we learned of all the native living , cooking , dancing , hunting and many other very interesting customs and also had a delicious lunch there . 

After that we drove to the Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort where next to it we visited the Orang Utan Sanctuary and orphanage in a Nature Reserve .

A great day was had by all and when it was time we were back on board to go to the next Port with Captain Frank van der Hoeven to Muara, Brunei ..........

Hope all of the pictures stay right side up this time 

Tony 😀

DSCN6950.JPG

IMG_2317.JPG

DSCN6973.JPG

DSCN6989.JPG

IMG_2363.JPG

DSCN7011.JPG

DSCN7023.jpg

IMG_2444.JPG

DSCN7040.JPG

DSCN7046.JPG

DSCN7047.JPG

IMG_2486.JPG

DSCN7056.JPG

DSCN7057.jpg

DSCN7060.JPG

DSCN7075.JPG

DSCN7082.jpg

IMG_2328.JPG

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 11

@JazzyV  Vanessa, thanks for posting Tony's @sailingdutchy pictures. 

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, and thank you to all for the birthday wishes yesterday, plus the get wells for Pat.  He is chagrinned that I talk about him on CC, but what the heck!  I really like having your support.  He did get a chest x-ray late yesterday, and I hope the doctor comes in today to give him the results.  I'm sure he could do better at home, if he's not still on oxygen and iv antibiotics and fluids.   My oncologist appointment was fine;  just a confirmation of dates for the next stuff.  I have to have a CT scan and I have to be able to inhale a huge breath (for my lungs to push my heart toward my right side) and hold it for 20 seconds, so I am practicing.  I will also get two tattoos, so they know where to point the radiation.  Pat hates tattoos and blue jeans - when I am annoyed with him I threaten to get a tattoo, and when the kids are annoyed with him they threaten to bury him in blue jeans!  He couldn't believe it when I said I will have TWO tattoos soon!  

My days are busy, there seems to be a lot of driving, back and forth to the hospital, plus chores around here.  Today I must check the mail, it hasn't been done all week, and also fill the hummingbird feeders, both Pat's jobs.  DD ran the dishwasher last night.  It rained here all night, yay, we really needed it, the trees are looking freshly washed.

Bon voyage to those sailing soon!   Tomorrow I will be cancelling our October cruise.  Boo hoo...  And Pat wants to cancel our next year's Norway cruise, as it is so late in the year, he thinks it will be too cold.  Maybe we'll book the Oosterdam TA.  Of course, who knows if we will be travelling at all anymore....

Pat is now emailing so I'd better get a move on.  I'll be thinking of you all!

Ann, I hope Pat is feeling much better, and the x-ray shows improvement.  I hope he gets to come home soon.  I'm glad your appointment went well yesterday and everything is set.  I'm sorry you have to cancel your October cruise. 

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

All checked in and unpacked. 

Lunch included peanut butter silk pie.

20240824_124921.thumb.jpg.95694c5d01f87c9a330e9e97967c9b2b.jpg

Juan's anniversary flowers are beautiful.

20240824_122628.thumb.jpg.060d068c2125c98e75d912457c4de632.jpg

Beautiful flowers, Jake.  You can have my share of the pie.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. Clear and cool with the high around 75. Currently, 10:30, it is 65. We had a hard rain last night with lots of lightening and thunder. More predicted for tonight.

Made a quick store run this morning as I was out of eggs, bread and cheese. Picked up other necessities including some cleaning supplies and my checkout was over $100. Glad I am only shopping for one. On the other hand I lucked out with my car .... oil change was my free every 33rd time and since I was at the dealership where I bought the car they waived on all charges. So I think I am now set for the winter.

Lots of yelling in the neighbor's driveway this morning... I heard the words "tree roots". I wonder what the issue was although I can guess - no insurance and in that building all 4 units are owned by one person who is a bit tight with his money (any time there is work to be done he votes "no"). I suspect the building whose driveway was torn up is telling him he has to pay for the repairs as his unit planted the offending trees.

Most of you probably saw where a woman on a "vision quest" type of outing was lost in the mountains here for a few days. She was found safe, but the sheriff had come down pretty hard on her and the outfit that arranged it. "Nature will try to kill you"... was included in his comments (she had been told not use her phone - it was suggested not have it with her -  and to fast while she was alone in the area). None of these is a good idea. It reminded me of when I was Dean (for one year- I hated the job) at the college and we had a Faculty member who wanted to do "vision quests" for students and was highly offended when I spoke against it because 1) it is a Native American religious rite, not to be treated lightly 2) Fasting for the time in the mountains is a very poor idea 3) going solo is asking for trouble and 4) the one that got the project vetoed by the reviewing committee and the college President - if you require these things of students to get a grade....you can be sued!!!! I emphasized number 1 but the President was more impressed by number 4.

Take care all.

Susan

Susan, glad you got some rain.  Good news on the dealership waving all the charges.  I'm glad the woman was fund alive.  We need to be more responsible when going into the mountains or wilderness.  I also think people need to be more respectful of other peoples' religious and sacred rites.

1 hour ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. @JazzyVplease remove my DS from the prayer list.  There are so many more in need. Right now it is a waiting game and while we are still praying for a good outcome, he has made me promise to go on this trip. The outcome may not even come before my return. If I cancel and stay I will just wear out a path through my house from pacing so I might as well be cruising. Having the internet on board helps with staying in touch.  Prayers for all who need them, and celebrations for others. My bags are packed and I am ready to go, just a few more days and I will see some of you in person. 

Linda, I'm glad you decided to go on you cruise.  You will have the support of all of us, especially the Dailyites on the cruise.  I hope your DS doesn't have to wait too long for things to resolve.

21 minutes ago, dfish said:

Oh, please, lead us into temptation.  That’s a lot more fun!

YES!!!!  I wish I was there to help find temptation with you.

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you so very much Vanessa  @JazzyV for recovering my fotos of Kota Kinabalu  this was such a special day and this is almost  hard so show in the pictures of this real tribe in Northern Borneo a lot of it was not for show , so I tried and tried because I do not give up easily and than these might the only pictures today of this Port . Very much appreciated !

Instead of trying again or getting mad I just put on my running shoes and went for a long walk ! I feel much better now !

Tony 😍

• Like 25

Quoting you Ann @Vict0riann…………………". I will also get two tattoos, so they know where to point the radiation.  Pat hates tattoos and blue jeans - when I am annoyed with him I threaten to get a tattoo, and when the kids are annoyed with him they threaten to bury him in blue jeans!  He couldn't believe it when I said I will have TWO tattoos soon!  "

That’s so funny Ann , I knew I had a lot in common with Pat , I have never owned a pair of Blue Jeans and feel the same about tattoos , than of coarse we both know his feelings about people wearing a hat or baseball cap at the table ! 

I was happy to hear from him today that he very much liked his nurse  , that will get him better faster , plus all of your visits of coarse ! 

Best Wishes ! 

Tony 😍😍

• Like 24

5 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

One of my favorite drinks in college. I have a joke for this drink but would be banned from cc if told it.

Harvey is my all-time favorite, and one of the few that are made correctly on a BHB. 😁 Although sometimes I have to tell them how to make it…

• Like 16

27 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Quoting you Ann @Vict0riann…………………". I will also get two tattoos, so they know where to point the radiation.  Pat hates tattoos and blue jeans - when I am annoyed with him I threaten to get a tattoo, and when the kids are annoyed with him they threaten to bury him in blue jeans!  He couldn't believe it when I said I will have TWO tattoos soon!  "

That’s so funny Ann , I knew I had a lot in common with Pat , I have never owned a pair of Blue Jeans and feel the same about tattoos , than of coarse we both know his feelings about people wearing a hat or baseball cap at the table ! 

I was happy to hear from him today that he very much liked his nurse  , that will get him better faster , plus all of your visits of coarse ! 

Best Wishes ! 

Tony 😍😍

Pat's other little story today was that he told the doctor last night that when a male nurse takes his blood pressure, it is down, but when a beautiful (in this case, Dutch) female nurse takes it, it is much higher!  The doctor took a note.,.

I think he is much improved today.  He looks more like his old self, and said he can walk around the room without wobbling.  Hoping they let him come home soon.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon, friends! A busy day today. There was a zoom call this morning to cover the on-line voting procedures for our regional church women's convention next month. Beforehand, I managed to grab a shower -- the first post-surgery. Felt delightful!

This afternoon DS helped me into the car for a drive to Petsmart for catfood for the furry freeloaders. The weather was lovely and great to see something other than the inside of the house! Stopped for ice cream cones on the way home.

Tomorrow he will drive me to church so I can practice with the choir & attend a 50th wedding anniversary reception for friends there. 

I'm trying to use the cane more and the walker less. Progress!

• Like 22

1 hour ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Wouldn't you know it? We finally have some nice cool, damp weather and I have to head for Reno tomorrow for a conference. It's predicted to be hot there next week. I'm a wimp! 

Happy Cruising Juan & Jake @Crazy For Cats, Debbie & Sue @dfish and Sharon @Sharon in AZ. Sounds like so much fun to be had.

It was snowing on Donner Pass earlier today.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you  @richwmn for posting the locations of the HAL Fleet and the opportunity to post daily news.

Today it's very wet, hope the rain is also in the mountain area to help increase the water level of the lakes which are used to generate electricity.

@cunnorl  sorry that you fell, hope that there are no after effects.

@Cruising-along  that was very good news you recieved yesterday.

@Vict0riann  the tattoos for radiotherapy are very tiny dots, when I read your post I went to find mine, now barely visible 6 years in December later.  After about 3 weeks of radiation the technician asked if I had lost weight, since beginning the treatment,.....  the dots were no longer lining up, they had to adjust the machine  to line up the dots again.

@kazu  hope that the nurse will arrange an appointment for you to see the surgeon  soon, 

Yesterday had intended to reply to your message Re the FCL, Is the person to whom you refer  the CC member who was involved several years ago with the CC banner at San Diego sail aways.?   

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

It's not 11 yet, I finally made it back here.  Of course by the time i hit send it will be past 11.

This entire post will be stream of consciousness, apologies in advance

regarding yesterday...I know its a new day

Cuban sandwiches are wonderful when the bread is fresh and crispy and the pickle slice inside is a good pickle.  remembering to  add mustard not mayo helps too.  If you have a Publix near you, then go to the sandwich deli area and have them make one for you.  They do have them repackaged, but the bread is no longer crunchy.

@Cruising TerriYou went to your DH's doc to talk about what is going to be happening in the future.  The problem with any disease that affects the brain, is neither you,  your doc, nor your DH knows when or to what degree he will no longer be able to function on his own.  Perhaps he didnt want to go, is that he doesnt want to know what will happen in the future. It is not a pleasant vision, what will you do if it's something that he needs to do to get out of the house, and you cant make him move.  When my DH had his 'Incident" two weeks ago, I couldnt get him out of a car that was heating up to 110 quickly!  DH is currently doing better, but has to be monitored all the time.  And with me working, cooking, and helping with his health care I find that I dont remember to do everything when they should be done.  It will take a toll on you.  So get him used to having someone come in and give you a  break, just getting the break will help.

My traveling friends are already having issues.  The wife has dementia, and is now incontinent, but refuses to wear pads, or depends, her hubby says its a real "poop" show at their house, but  he like you, doesnt want to put her in care.  But he has to plan every day that he is not available, or has to go into to work to have one of her daughters stay with her.  He has not mentioned the situation to the doctor, because he is afraid that he might have to place her somewhere.  But she used to turn the stove on, and forget about what she was doing.  Because we don't see her but every 3 or 4 months, we notice the changes immediately, but he who sees her every day does not.  He says now all she does is sit in her jammies and robe, and watches TV.  

When DH left the hospital two weeks ago, he wrapped up everything that wasn't tied down in

bed pads put them in a plastic bag and brought them home.  They have remained in the car, and he asked me today what i was doing with them.  I told him what he did and of course he didn't remember it, but without unwrapping that package, I can tell you that he brought home scissors, tape, bandages, and whatever is wrapped in those pads, is VERY heavy.  And he has taken to calling me one of the cats names, and not mine.  It does not get easier.  Work is my escape.  

If you have the resources, then start getting someone in at least every other day, so that you can get him used to having someone there, so that you can at least not feel rushed doing the things that need to be done. I do worry about you.

The last two days have been nice, high 80's ;low in the 60's at night.  Really getting used to sleeping on the sofa with the fan blowing on me.

Momma Munchkin is using her litter box, she is skipping meals but will eat Bumble Bee tuna, and she cries because she is still in heat!  Arghh how long will this last! ? Its not that she can get pregnant, but she is glued together and kitty "rape" by the two neutered males is not something she needs.  We got the window open in her room, and she is enjoying spending her day in the window sill.

I had a Harvey Wallbanger once, my college house mother made one for me, but since I drank it after spending an afternoon in a bar drinking tequila sunrises, it just reminded me of something you would drink when you wanted to settle your stomach, and I never had another one.

Views from a swimming hole outside of Seattle-BFF enjoyed the swim, but when I saw plastic bottles at the bottom, I was not going to swim with garbage.  Lovely spot near the airport.

image.thumb.jpeg.f85b2e01456f3969a9f96110169734b3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.17dfd5d16287c487e5c2ed95b3244cc1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c7f18d1634144daa8b1283942cdf5ff2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8fa05f0ef7eb24a389252f41aed5054b.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 12

8 hours ago, erewhon said:

@kazu  hope that the nurse will arrange an appointment for you to see the surgeon  soon, 

Yesterday had intended to reply to your message Re the FCL, Is the person to whom you refer  the CC member who was involved several years ago with the CC banner at San Diego sail aways.?   

You have an excellent memory and yes it is.  She also used to do the Fleet Report.   I felt that such a valuable contributor was more than worthy of my exception and advised her I would add her cruises.  I have a lot of nerve, don’t I? 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, kazu said:

You have an excellent memory and yes it is.  She also used to do the Fleet Report.   I felt that such a valuable contributor was more than worthy of my exception and advised her I would add her cruises.  I have a lot of nerve, don’t I? 

Thank you for this confirmation.   

She really does deserve  Bon Voyage messages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1