should I bring my 31 inch suitcase?

Going on a 9 day cruise to Spain and Portugal.  Unfortunately Air Canada only allows one bag and one carry on, otherwise $100!  My sister told me her travel agent said never to bring the xlarge suitcase as it is too heavy to carry.  Has anyone used their big one before?  I usually travel with my 26 . 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Irishgirl1012 said:

Going on a 9 day cruise to Spain and Portugal.  Unfortunately Air Canada only allows one bag and one carry on, otherwise $100!  My sister told me her travel agent said never to bring the xlarge suitcase as it is too heavy to carry.  Has anyone used their big one before?  I usually travel with my 26 . 

You need to double check, carefully, the AC requirements/restrictions on luggage size and weight.  It's usually *not* simply "number of pieces".

ETA:  And don't rely upon others' reports about "what is allowed".  Check online yourself.  It wouldn't do any good if you show up at the airport to check a huge bag, find it's too big (or has a big surcharge because it's too big), and then say something like, "... but my sister's travel agent said..."

You should be able to find this information on their website.  It may be different for domestic vs. international, and also for coach vs. business or first.

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

You need to double check, carefully, the AC requirements/restrictions on luggage size and weight.  It's usually *not* simply "number of pieces".

ETA:  And don't rely upon others' reports about "what is allowed".  Check online yourself.  It wouldn't do any good if you show up at the airport to check a huge bag, find it's too big (or has a big surcharge because it's too big), and then say something like, "... but my sister's travel agent said..."

You should be able to find this information on their website.  It may be different for domestic vs. international, and also for coach vs. business or first.

GC

I agree to check with the airline since the max size may be a linear measurement (W+H+W).

What I can tell you for sure is that 31” bags push the limit on trunk size for some private transfer sedans AND some 31” bags’ depth may challenge underbed storage in the cabin (even with lid kept open). 

FWIW, take a look at Briggs & Riley compressible hard side luggage. We’re currently using medium size ones which are about 28” but fit almost as much as our Travel Pro 31” ones!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Irishgirl1012 said:

Unfortunately Air Canada only allows one bag and one carry on,

I think Air Canada's baggage restrictions are pretty generous in that they are allowing you a total of 3 pieces of luggage - checked bag, carry on and a personal item.  Their carry on dimensions are pretty good and don't come with a weight limit.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/baggage/carry-on.html#/

My sister told me her travel agent said never to bring the xlarge suitcase as it is too heavy to carry

Regardless of whether you can carry it or not, you should definitely check the weight of your bag before you bring it to the airport.  Assuming you have no status with Air Canada and are flying coach, your checked bag can weigh no more than 50lbs or 23kg. 

Good luck packing!

BTW - I have never had issues onboard any ship finding a place for my bags.

Edited by SelectSys

34 minutes ago, Irishgirl1012 said:

My bags linear dimension are within range of 62.   Still just want to know if anyone else finds this size too big for a small woman of 73 to carry

Really depends on the bag itself: dimensions, weight, # wheels, quality construction…..

You’ve heard here about two great brands Briggs & Riley and Travel Pro. What brand do you have? How has it behaved in the past?

My bags linear dimension are within range of 62.   Still just want to know if anyone else finds this size too big for a small woman of 73 to carry

Load it up and try lifting and maneuvering it. Our opinions of what you can handle aren't really relevant.

• Like 1

Exactly what Sea42 said. Assuming the bag dimensions are within the allowable, fill the suitcase with the items on your packing list. Now weigh it with the luggage scale. (Buy one at any luggage or travel store). Make sure it isn't over 50 pounds (23kg). Now grab that baby and walk around the block with it and up and down at least one flight of stairs. See how you make out. I'm the same age as you and have trouble with my suitcase if it's over 35 pounds (it's only 28"), but I have DH to help with it.

4 hours ago, Irishgirl1012 said:

Yes. I read here about people who travel for a month or more with carry on only.

• Thanks 1

just don't look at Air Canada baggage info. If you are traveling in Europe by other airlines, or any other mode of transport, look at their site for size/weight requirements.  I once had to pay an unexpected Oversized Bag fee when checking into a flight onto a leg one of my trips back to USA.  The dimensions were correct for my USA bound flight ( second leg), but not for the flight that would take me to the second leg.  Also, check European airlines carry on rules.  SOME charge for overhead bin space ( otherwise, it has to go under the seat in front of you, ALONG with your personal item).  Just when we all thought that carry on was the only way to go.  Invest in a portable luggage scale.  I ALWAYS take that with me and weigh all my bags before leaving to the airport(s).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Irishgirl1012 said:

It is the weight as opposed to the luggage size that is going to be the larger issue.  

To answer part of your original question, we have traveled a lot with large 29" luggage (we are another TravelPro fan).  These days the 29" luggage is pretty much gathering dust.  We much prefer the 25" bags for check-ins.  Truth is we cannot use all the space in the larger luggage before hitting the airline weight limit.  

• Like 1

What I am wondering about is why would you need such a large case for a 9 day cruise.  After all you can get stuff washed on the ship if you run out of clothes.  How many outfits do you really need.

DON

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

What I am wondering about is why would you need such a large case for a 9 day cruise.  After all you can get stuff washed on the ship if you run out of clothes.  How many outfits do you really need.

DON

Sort of agree unless you’re an active outdoors person on a cruise where your tours may included snorkeling, hiking, etc on an itinerary that crosses climates. The snorkel gear alone can take up a lot of space.

31 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sort of agree unless you’re an active outdoors person on a cruise where your tours may included snorkeling, hiking, etc on an itinerary that crosses climates. The snorkel gear alone can take up a lot of space.

The OP is a small woman aged 73.

DON

2 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

The OP is a small woman aged 73.

DON

And I’m almost 80. Yet some of our cruises will have both snorkeling and a need for cold weather hiking gear.

While we’re at it:

For folks who annually travel by air a lot and have a preferred airline/air consortium, it may be worthwhile to get one of your preferred carrier’s credit cards. We use United primarily and when we don’t fly bizclass we still get 70 lb checked baggage limits plus some United Club passes. As long as we buy the United or Star Alliance consortium tix from United, our CC gets the 70 lb allowance on all flights.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And I’m almost 80. Yet some of our cruises will have both snorkeling and a need for cold weather hiking gear.

While we’re at it:

For folks who annually travel by air a lot and have a preferred airline/air consortium, it may be worthwhile to get one of your preferred carrier’s credit cards. We use United primarily and when we don’t fly bizclass we still get 70 lb checked baggage limits plus some United Club passes. As long as we buy the United or Star Alliance consortium tix from United, our CC gets the 70 lb allowance on all flights.

Similar to what we get with DL.

On 8/29/2024 at 2:08 PM, Irishgirl1012 said:

a small woman of 73 to carry

If you have to carry on something of this size, you won't be able to lift it into the overhead bin, will you? I ask because Seattle airport had a couple of cyber-attacks in the last few days and they're asking people, if possible, to not try to check bags. It's a very tedious, manual process.

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

Truth is we cannot use all the space in the larger luggage before hitting the airline weight limit.  

Same with our largest. But we take it on car trips where it doesn't matter as it holds all our stuff for both of us so 1 suitcase instead of 2. And if we need it for a flight, we just fill it not quite full and it's fine.

It has those 360 wheels and I've never had an issue pulling it along. I hate suitcases with only two big wheels. I find them hard to manage if I have other things to carry or push/pull.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

Same with our largest. But we take it on car trips where it doesn't matter as it holds all our stuff for both of us so 1 suitcase instead of 2. And if we need it for a flight, we just fill it not quite full and it's fine.

It has those 360 wheels and I've never had an issue pulling it along. I hate suitcases with only two big wheels. I find them hard to manage if I have other things to carry or push/pull.

I assume you don’t do a single suitcase for both people on a flight. If you do, you may want to rethink that and use the two most airlines allow so that you can cross pack. In that way, if at least one bag gets to where your headed, you’ll both have some of your stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I assume you don’t do a single suitcase for both people on a flight. If you do, you may want to rethink that and use the two most airlines allow so that you can cross pack. In that way, if at least one bag gets to where your headed, you’ll both have some of your stuff.

Actually, most of the time we fly, we get no free bags. 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, MacMadame said:

Actually, most of the time we fly, we get no free bags. 🤷‍♀️

As mentioned, a number of credit cards will give free checked bags. But those cards have high interest rates so really need to be paid off monthly.

On 8/29/2024 at 12:57 PM, Irishgirl1012 said:

I consider a 26" big. 

For our first cruise I bought a GIANT suitcase, thinking it'd work for my husband, myself, and our two grade-school children.  Everything fit, and my husband could roll it himself, leaving me to manage the kids hands-free.  BUT it was difficult to lift in /out of the trunk, and we just weren't happy with everything-in-this-giant-space -- I gave it to my mother, who used it once and gave it to Goodwill. 

When we leave a cruise, we see groups with every individual wrangling one of these GIANTS.  I don't get it.  

On 8/29/2024 at 1:05 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Check online yourself.  It wouldn't do any good if you show up at the airport to check a huge bag, find it's too big (or has a big surcharge because it's too big), and then say something like, "... but my sister's travel agent said..."

Very good advice. 

On 8/29/2024 at 7:32 PM, Sea42 said:

Load it up and try lifting and maneuvering it. Our opinions of what you can handle aren't really relevant.

More good advice.  

On 8/29/2024 at 9:38 PM, clo said:

Yes. I read here about people who travel for a month or more with carry on only.

Yes, I find that easy.  Ways to make it happen: 

- If you'll have 9 dinners, pack 4 appropriate outfits -- each one'll be worn twice.  Speaking only for my own family, in a cruise that long we'd probably skip "the dinner experience" twice and have just a buffet meal.  

- For 9 days, I'd wear/pack 4 bottoms -- shorts, skirts, pants, whatever.  Then add 3 tops to match each bottom.  If hot/sweaty activities are planned, purposefully wear a bottom that's "on its last wear".  That'd be 16 items for your daywear, and -- if folded carefully -- that plus the dinner wear would fit comfortably into a medium suitcase. 

- This would mean you wouldn't need to wash anything during the cruise -- if you opt to wash, you could bring less. 

- Of course you need sleepwear, under-garments, and swimsuits.  That'll still fit into the medium suitcase. 

- You might feel it's necessary to add a warm layering item.  

- Shoes are always a problem.  I'd wear a pair of tennis shoes, pack a pair of comfortable walking sandals, and add one pair of dinner-shoes that'd match all outfits.  IF the plans demand it, I'd add water shoes.  No duplicates within those categories (for example, no to two pairs of walking sandals).  

19 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You probably won't have ALL of those needs in one trip. 

- If you're snorkeling, consider bringing your own snorkel, but rent fins.  That's a lot of space saved. 

- If you're hiking, consider whether your plans require that you bring boots or whether your tennis shoes will do. 

- For multi-climate trips, try to choose layering pieces; for example, being a Southerner, almost all of my blouses are short sleeved, and I layer on cardigans for our mild winters.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I consider a 26" big. 

For our first cruise I bought a GIANT suitcase, thinking it'd work for my husband, myself, and our two grade-school children.  Everything fit, and my husband could roll it himself, leaving me to manage the kids hands-free.  BUT it was difficult to lift in /out of the trunk, and we just weren't happy with everything-in-this-giant-space -- I gave it to my mother, who used it once and gave it to Goodwill. 

When we leave a cruise, we see groups with every individual wrangling one of these GIANTS.  I don't get it.  

Very good advice. 

More good advice.  

Yes, I find that easy.  Ways to make it happen: 

- If you'll have 9 dinners, pack 4 appropriate outfits -- each one'll be worn twice.  Speaking only for my own family, in a cruise that long we'd probably skip "the dinner experience" twice and have just a buffet meal.  

- For 9 days, I'd wear/pack 4 bottoms -- shorts, skirts, pants, whatever.  Then add 3 tops to match each bottom.  If hot/sweaty activities are planned, purposefully wear a bottom that's "on its last wear".  That'd be 16 items for your daywear, and -- if folded carefully -- that plus the dinner wear would fit comfortably into a medium suitcase. 

- This would mean you wouldn't need to wash anything during the cruise -- if you opt to wash, you could bring less. 

- Of course you need sleepwear, under-garments, and swimsuits.  That'll still fit into the medium suitcase. 

- You might feel it's necessary to add a warm layering item.  

- Shoes are always a problem.  I'd wear a pair of tennis shoes, pack a pair of comfortable walking sandals, and add one pair of dinner-shoes that'd match all outfits.  IF the plans demand it, I'd add water shoes.  No duplicates within those categories (for example, no to two pairs of walking sandals).  

You probably won't have ALL of those needs in one trip. 

- If you're snorkeling, consider bringing your own snorkel, but rent fins.  That's a lot of space saved. 

- If you're hiking, consider whether your plans require that you bring boots or whether your tennis shoes will do. 

- For multi-climate trips, try to choose layering pieces; for example, being a Southerner, almost all of my blouses are short sleeved, and I layer on cardigans for our mild winters.  

Excellent explanation!

8 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

sleepwear

At home and traveling that isn't something we use 🙂

Also many, many years ago I played a little game with myself and tried to remember what other people in my office had worn to work the day before. Couldn't do it. So I could, if I wanted, wear the same thing to cruise dining with impunity. And my travel clothes are almost all solid colored, especially shorts and pants and the occasional skirt. 

• Like 1