Time scrap the Millennium

Obobru

Posted (edited)

Hope you get a credit for the gross conditions..Soubds like a third class motel!  EWWW.

Will not add Millie, Infinity or Connie to our list any time soon. 

Not sure what's up with Summit.. must have been updated . 

We loved it in the Carib and RT to Hawaii yrs ago.. Last time we were on it for a  Bermuda cruise,  it was sadly in need of an upgrade..and  needed to get rid of the flies  in the lounge dead and alive 

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, Obobru said:

She said the maintenance was poor in relation to the tiles which she said was due to different colour grouts being used and the maintenance not cleaning them after grouting leaving marks that looks like dirt but was due to the "poor maintenance" you might not believe it but she said it. 

Oh, I am not doubting that she said it!!  I just wouldn’t think those would be the words a Celebrity employee would use…

Will be on Constellation again this Fall.  Looked good after the 2021 extended dry dock, and got an additional refresh in April 2024.  Will be interested to see how she's holding up. 

As someone who loves the older ships, both on RC and X -- I hope that the Millie (and Radiance) Class ships stay in the fleet for a long time. I will admit to being rather dismayed at the sight of large areas of rust on our Summit Family View aft balcony, last year. After all, Neil Young taught us that "Rust never sleeps"!😉

And, as a 15-year cruiser on X, I believe that there is no excuse for slip-shod maintenance -- or housekeeping practices -- on any class of ship. That being said, perhaps the OP would be happier sailing on one of the new-builds -- where there should be few problems of the type they cited on Millie?

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

So why a difference seemingly noted between the condition of Summit and Millennium, or is there one?

Have no idea. Haven't been on the Millennium post revolution. Summit a few times post revolution. Just letting @hcat know what year the Summit was revolutionized ("what's up with the Summit..must have been updated"). 

4 hours ago, doghog said:

The Summit was also revolutionized in 2019. 

I don't want to suggest can read the ladies midnight but her voice had the air of frustration at the situation. It was very clear they way she spoke she was aware of the condition of the ship. I imagine she has to deal with multiple issues like this every time people board. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

As someone who loves the older ships, both on RC and X -- I hope that the Millie (and Radiance) Class ships stay in the fleet for a long time. I will admit to being rather dismayed at the sight of large areas of rust on our Summit Family View aft balcony, last year. After all, Neil Young taught us that "Rust never sleeps"!😉

And, as a 15-year cruiser on X, I believe that there is no excuse for slip-shod maintenance -- or housekeeping practices -- on any class of ship. That being said, perhaps the OP would be happier sailing on one of the new-builds -- where there should be few problems of the type they cited on Millie?

We did sail on the Silhouette last year and it was in great shape other than terrible cleaning of room on boarding. Unfortunately Celebrity can not clean rooms at all, very poor training and this is now two Celebrity cruises, two different ships, both dirty rooms. 

Here's some examples on this ship. 

Very dirty shelves in wardrobe 

White spray marks on headboard (I will let you guess what it is I have no DNA test kit)

Toothpaste spray on mirror and basin area walls 

Brown droplet marks on bathroom ceiling 

Dirty bathroom floor.

Dirty toilet seat at the back where it closes

Smeering on room mirror 

Sofa filthy down sides with weeks of dirt and chocolate and wrapper stuffed down it

Metal on the bottom of the desk absolutely filthy not cleaned in weeks 

Metal runner on connecting room door black with dirt 

Floor not vacuumed well/at all

Drawers in desk dirty inside 

Balcony door runner black as seen in pics. 

Now you could say we are fussy but we went through a whole pack of wipes as even after complaining they only half assed cleaned it. That shows a lack of training and check list of points to clean daily, weekly, monthly, on new boarding. I used to run a budget hotel in the UK that had better cleaning standards.

To add to this today I have woke after 4 hours sleep as the room is too warm as the AC doesn't work well even in the coldest setting so I sweating and the curtains let in so much light at 5.30 the sun is warming the room and letting in too much light. Never seen such a bad curtain set up, see photo. 

20240901_064533.jpg

When we were on in January our cabin was clean and nice.  However we noticed that the ship was understaffed.  Perhaps this is catching up with the room maintenance…. I view the understaffing as a cost savings measure by X.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Obobru said:

We did sail on the Silhouette last year and it was in great shape other than terrible cleaning of room on boarding. Unfortunately Celebrity can not clean rooms at all, very poor training and this is now two Celebrity cruises, two different ships, both dirty rooms. 

Here's some examples on this ship. 

Very dirty shelves in wardrobe 

White spray marks on headboard (I will let you guess what it is I have no DNA test kit)

Toothpaste spray on mirror and basin area walls 

Brown droplet marks on bathroom ceiling 

Dirty bathroom floor.

Dirty toilet seat at the back where it closes

Smeering on room mirror 

Sofa filthy down sides with weeks of dirt and chocolate and wrapper stuffed down it

Metal on the bottom of the desk absolutely filthy not cleaned in weeks 

Metal runner on connecting room door black with dirt 

Floor not vacuumed well/at all

Drawers in desk dirty inside 

Balcony door runner black as seen in pics. 

Now you could say we are fussy but we went through a whole pack of wipes as even after complaining they only half assed cleaned it. That shows a lack of training and check list of points to clean daily, weekly, monthly, on new boarding. I used to run a budget hotel in the UK that had better cleaning standards.

To add to this today I have woke after 4 hours sleep as the room is too warm as the AC doesn't work well even in the coldest setting so I sweating and the curtains let in so much light at 5.30 the sun is warming the room and letting in too much light. Never seen such a bad curtain set up, see photo. 

20240901_064533.jpg

I suspect that your sliding door is not closing so the AC is not going on.

We had to get this fixed in our cabin.

• Like 1

Just now, NMTraveller said:

I suspect that your sliding door is not closing so the AC is not going on.

We had to get this fixed in our cabin.

Thanks that's useful to know as we have a door issue and I have woke up warm due to the AC not being cold. 

I have just spoken to Guest Services as they left a message last night which I deleted but the phone never stopped flashing so we had to cover it (another minor issue) and she said that people are coming again this morning as the basin won't drain and she stated the phone message issue is a system fault they know about. The phone system is woefully out of date, the phones themselves are 25 years old (date of manufacture is on the back) and should be replaced. 

We are only on to the second day and we have three new issues with the basin drain, the phone won't stop flashing and the curtains are 3 inches too short and 2 inches too narrow. Minor issues but annoying. 

In other news I don't ask people to give me compensation (a good company would offer that not wait to be asked), I am not complaining to get something free I want what I paid for which is a clean room with AC and functioning balcony door I don't think it's too much to ask for they are basics. Since the room wasn't cleaned and I have had to ask them twice to clean things and direct the staff to do some of it or clean it myself I have told them to refund 50% of our gratuities as I am not tipping for jobs I have had to do myself. Now I wouldn't do this lightly as my partner is Filipino and I have lived in the Philippines we were there just last week so I know the situation of staff but if people can't clean things ever after I have shown them the dirt, had the house keeping manager come and after all that I am still wiping it down I am just not paying a tip for awful service. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

When we were on in January our cabin was clean and nice.  However we noticed that the ship was understaffed.  Perhaps this is catching up with the room maintenance…. I view the understaffing as a cost savings measure by X.  

I have to say I think the ship is well staffed. It's the only brand we have sailed with that has two housekeeping per room and two services per day. We have sailed with P&O is bargain basement cruising where one person cleans once per day but the room was massively cleaner. 

From memory on Celebrity two people clean 22 rooms and on Disney which is the gold star of cleanliness one person cleans 14 rooms. Based on that Celebrity should have far cleaner rooms. This ain't a one off for us we have posted before when we were on Silhouette and how dirty that room was. We are cursed when it comes to this brand but we like the itineraries they offer. 

Looking at Millenium schedule it seems it arrives into Singapore on 29 October and next cruise shows as November 23 departing Singapore. Possibly a refurb in Singapore. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, canderson said:

So why a difference seemingly noted between the condition of Summit and Millennium, or is there one?

IMO, there is no difference. Summit was pretty shabby herself last year. 

We’ve just left Millie and I did report in my review that pax were complaining at GS and asking when was she going to be scrapped. I do believe that some cabins are worse than others, and I reported about the green mildew on our balcony door in my review. It appears that they have been shoddy when making repairs/completing maintenance e.g. uneven grout/discoloured etc, which I thought would have been better handled during the refit. However, we had a brilliant time in Japan and explored the country more than focussing on the ship - it was all about the itinerary for us. That being said, if your cabin is as you’ve said please do continue to pursue the issues with housekeeping. May I ask where your cabin is on the ship?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, villauk said:

We’ve just left Millie and I did report in my review that pax were complaining at GS and asking when was she going to be scrapped. I do believe that some cabins are worse than others, and I reported about the green mildew on our balcony door in my review. It appears that they have been shoddy when making repairs/completing maintenance e.g. uneven grout/discoloured etc, which I thought would have been better handled during the refit. However, we had a brilliant time in Japan and explored the country more than focussing on the ship - it was all about the itinerary for us. That being said, if your cabin is as you’ve said please do continue to pursue the issues with housekeeping. May I ask where your cabin is on the ship?

We chose this ship for the itinerary too but at the very least expect the room to be clean that's a basic even if everything else is poor. 

We are on the 6th forward. We discovered this morning the AC issues seems to be all of this area. We walked the corridor to aft to get breakfast and noticed the corridor is warm up to the mid ship elevator area then it suddenly goes cool which indicates an issue with AC at the whole forward in our area. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was on the Summit in May and it wasn't much better.  The martini bar ice top was working on half the bar top, stateroom mirror had a large black spot that was distracting, the wall paper was peeling off the wall, the martini bar ran out of martini glasses, etc.  

It was the worst Celebrity ship I've been on.  With today's pricing ships should be in better condition.  

• Thanks 1

I was discussing with my partner the point that had been raised here about only one cabin attendant, he reminded me that last year on the Silhouette we also had two people a Filipino woman who had been with Celebrity for almost 20 years and an Indonesian gent who had been with them for 10+ years they were working together and neither was a trainee, far from it. So some.thibg doesn't add up or we just somehow only get teams of two working together which seems highly unlikely. 

Our first cruise with Celebrity was 17 years ago on Millie and even at 7 years old there were issues. I posted about our stateroom, corroded fittings, worn carpet, torn drapes, rust on the balcony and wind noise from the balcony door to name a few. Makes me think there were quality issues with this class of ship from the start excacerbated by poor maintenance. 

Not acceptable especially at the prices charged now 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

Our first cruise with Celebrity was 17 years ago on Millie and even at 7 years old there were issues. I posted about our stateroom, corroded fittings, worn carpet, torn drapes, rust on the balcony and wind noise from the balcony door to name a few. Makes me think there were quality issues with this class of ship from the start excacerbated by poor maintenance. 

Not acceptable especially at the prices charged now 

The wind noise is a problem. That's what we had so they have created a temporary solution which means not being able to go out. They have now said it will be fixed in port tomorrow as the door has to come off. I can see the door has been bashed around many times it's ina terrible state (the first fix was bashing with a hammer). 

Corrosion is everywhere, that doesn't bother me as it's outside and not in my living space but I wouldn't sit out as even the chairs on here are corroded. 

• Like 1

I was planning to book a cruise for next year but now I am really hesitating after reading these recent comments. I wanted to reserve a cabin on deck 11 (Aqua Class).