Is the Retreat necessary on Beyond?

zackarykeef

Hi, all! We have an upcoming sailing on the Beyond. This will be our second X cruise...first was on Equinox 2 years ago. We have been wanting to get on this ship for a while, so we are really looking forward to it! It will also be our first time in Aqua.

My question is...for those of you who have been in the Retreat, do you feel it's necessary or worth it? We are debating bidding for a MoveUp but weren't sure that with how nice this ship is overall if it's necessary. To my knowledge, we would keep our regular beverage and wifi package, meaning we would still have to pay on top of that for premium...correct? I realize we would also have to pay for the thermal suite pass should we win a bid to a non-Aqua Sky Suite, which we currently have included.

I know some say they prefer Aqua/Blu to Retreat, so...tell me what you think. It's an 8 day sailing with 4 sea days, so there will be significant time on the ship. Is the main pool deck overly crowded and hard to find loungers? Also...I've heard mixed answers regarding if Retreat guests can dine at Blu also, even if they're not in an Aqua Sky Suite.

We are partial to Yacht Club on MSC so have been curious about the Retreat, but just trying to determine if we need it on this gorgeous ship. Any input is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

We enjoyed the areas outside of the Retreat on E class much more than the Retreat itself.  IMO, Celebrity has done a very nice job of making all guests, regardless of category, feel elevated and special.  I would not book the Retreat on E class.  We enjoy the 4 MDR option and the various lounges and bars scattered about the ship.  

I think some feel they need to book the Retreat in order to avoid the IV stateroom.  This is mostly true except for the cabins aft of the ship and the PV category.  We had a PV on Ascent and also a Sky suite.  While the SS is significantly larger, we enjoyed the PV just as much.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 4

Necessary for what? A good time on the ship- probably not.  A good time with added amenities like the Retreat Lounge, pool deck and Luminae?  Is that what you are looking for?  Only you can decide.  The Retreat is just a very nice (premium price) area on the ship.  

• Like 3

On the Ascent now. The whole ship is a premium experience. Great outside areas and fabulous service in the restaurants. We have a SV so have a balcony but the IV look nice. 

Enjoyed the Retreat on S class but not worth the up charge for us. 

With the + £3k price difference on this cruise I booked another cruise to South Africa on Azamara. 

• Like 2

First, you are correct that if you are successful in a moveup bid, what package you had at time of booking goes with you.  Classic stays Classic.

Being allowed to dine in Blu is up to Maitre d and how busy it is. We were on the Ascent in March and every night, seemed a lineup to get into Blu.  We prefer Retreat on E class.    we found Retreat less crowded than the main pool , but then, we probably were around a spring break time.  There is food service on sea days on Retreat deck which we liked.  . Happy deciding

We did not enjoy LumInae menu/ food,   or the the Retreat indoor Lounge on BEYOND.  Outdoor pool and sun area was very nice, with limited lunch...but crowded except on port days!

Suite perks of greatest value were early embark and disembark..Butler was ok but not needed

We ended up back at BLU & Specialty dining in lieu of Luminae!

• Like 3

Just off the Beyond, our 2nd Beyond sailing, and have been in suites on each E class ship.  

We are not fans of Luminae on E class ships.   The room is large and can be very noisy, the menu is limited and you can’t order to from the MDRs or Blu menus.   Our most recent 6 night cruise out of 18 meals we had dinner 2x and embarkation lunch in Luminae.    We did grab lunch a few days at the Retreat Sun Deck.  We prefer Blu and enjoy the variety in the of the menus 4 MDRs for dinner. 

DH is not one to spend time at a pool, but I do make it there for a hour or 2 on sea days and the Beyond Retreat Sun Deck is a great space.  DH enjoys the Retreat Lounge as a quiet place to read and generally it is where he spends a few hours each afternoon.

We enjoy the extra space a suite provides and the extra touches (butler, priority, etc) and for long sailings 12+ nights and B2Bs like some we have done recently we will probably book suites.  Our next cruise, booked while on the Beyond is in Aqua.  We prefer Blu and find that most of our on board time is spend outside of the Retreat. 

is it worth it?  That’s hard to say only way to really know is to try it.  For us sometimes yes sometimes no. 

1 hour ago, zackarykeef said:

My question is...for those of you who have been in the Retreat, do you feel it's necessary or worth it?

That depends on how much you want to be able to have a view of where you are going when sailing, also known as a "forward view.".  On E-class ships like Beyond that is only available from the gym or the Retreat.  And how much you want a real versus an 'infinite' balcony.  Those are questions only you can answer. 

We are debating bidding for a MoveUp but weren't sure that with how nice this ship is overall if it's necessary. To my knowledge, we would keep our regular beverage and wifi package, meaning we would still have to pay on top of that for premium...correct?

That is correct, out side the Retreat Lounge, you only have available the beverage package you had with your original booking.  In the Retreat Lounge you get the same drinks as everyone else. 

I realize we would also have to pay for the thermal suite pass should we win a bid to a non-Aqua Sky Suite, which we currently have included.

That is correct.  You loose the Spa access if you are in a non-Aqua or Aqua Sky Suite.  

For me, it's like thinking of someone who has never driven a luxury vehicle. You're fine with what you are used to driving, but once you sit inside that plush leather vehicle with all the bells and whistles and the smooth, quiet ride, you aren't quite as excited to get back into your older Toyota.

We made the "mistake" of sailing in suites years back, and I just haven't been able get myself to not book one since. I agree with others who say the Edge class ships really do provide a pretty elevated experience all around, but we love Luminae, enjoy the relative quiet of the Retreat Lounge, and the location and overall feel of the Retreat Pool Deck.  The butler service is also nice as you have pretty much ultimate flexibility on booking and changing reservations, and the Retreat staff is typically pretty amazing.

But if those things aren't a big deal to you...then give the Beyond a shot without it.

• Like 2

We were on Beyond for B2B in Feb 2023 and the first week was in a Sky Suite we won on a MoveUp and the second week in Aqua Class.  Ate in Luminae Week One, in Blu Week Two - both were excellent.  We are on Beyond again in Nov, another B2B - Week One is a Sky Suite we got through an Upgrade from a Sunset Verandah to Suite Guarantee for 1/3 what the MoveUp cost us last year (too good a deal to pass), and we got Premium Drinks, etc. that you don't get through a MoveUp.  Week Two we're in the Sunset Verandah from which we will eat in the four MDR's - all excellent as well (we had some lunches in Cosmopolitan and I ordered escargots and other dishes from them.  We looked at Upgrades and MoveUp to a suite in Week Two and it was too expensive.

So obviously the Retreat was worth it to us - it all came down to the cost, and we'd do it again. 

We all chuckle about the complaints about food and it's much more than just the food.

I am not impartial because on our first Celebrity cruise we got a great cruise on a suite cabin on Equinox, and since have sailed in Retreat on both Beyond and Ascent.  We are pool people on sea days so we love the pool deck and spend hours there.  On our July Beyond cruise the main pool looked so, so crowded.  For us it is worth it just for the pool area (and on sea days you can order lunch up there too).  We also have liked Luminae on all the ships.

Next month we have a short cruise on Reflection and I'm a little worried about not having that specific perk, but as my husband says, we are still on a cruise ship (in a sunset suite).  In March we are on Ascent again in a sky suite.  We like the little touches from the Butler and sitting in the retreat lounge as well.  

We had a booking on MSC that we canceled after our July Beyond cruise because Celebrity feels like home to us (previously had 6 Disney cruises).

So for us yes, it is worth it.  

We were recently in a suite on the Beyond.   We didn’t spend much time in the Retreat Area.  There are too many other options on the ship.    One benefit of a suite is that it has a real balcony if that is important to you.   We weren’t impressed with the food in Luminae.   

We were also in AQ a few times.   We didn’t spend much time in the Thermal Spa.   The loungers weren’t that comfortable and difficult to get into.   The rooms were boring and senseless.  A room with a crystal, or salt block???

Wouldnt go overboard on the move up bid.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Only you can decide..some areas of the Retreat remind me of a Dr's waiting room, specifically the Retreat Lounge on E Class.  Pool deck is nice for sure.  This was on the Ascent in January.  

But the rest of the ship is also nice.  Sailing in a Concierge cabin in 2 weeks on Beyond...got a very good deal on a guarantee booked over a year ago.  Same type of cabin I have been in on the Apex.  

I love perks on celebrity edge class , have done sky suite on beyond and penthouse on Edge. You get the suite dinning room Luminae and the best perk is the outside retreat with pool hot tubs and bar , definitely more crowded than MSc YC outdoor area but till very enjoyable. I like getting doubles in bar in outside or regular retreat area, access to concierge can be very helpful. 

We love the Retreat on Edge class and, of course, enjoy having a bigger room with a real balcony and in-room mini-bar refilled every day. They did improve the uncomfortable Retreat lounge furniture after the original Edge ship. The Retreat sundeck is a wonderful, quiet place to have lunch away from crowds. The lounge has spectacular ocean views and we often enjoy coffee or drinks/snacks there throughout the day, also away from crowds. The priority embarkation and welcome lounge is also a plus. We thought the food and service in Luminae on the Beyond was excellent. While some menu items seem a bit adventurous/strange, there were many "normal" items such as steak/filet mignon at least 3 nights, lobster and lamb chops on other nights and I love all their pasta dishes (often asked for a small portion as my appetizer). You can also order quite a few things that are not on the menu such as chicken breast, French onion soup, baked potato, vegetables, escargot, shrimp cocktail, salads, fruit plate/berries, chocolate cake, cheesecake, etc, etc. They are very, very accomodating. They also had some special events in the Retreat lounge such as silent disco, senior officers event and Pictionary (guests vs Retreat staff). I don't think we would ever go back to a regular veranda room. That being said, I do always look for a cheaper price for suites (less than $400 pp per day) as we are flexible as to when we can travel. Considering the cost for a veranda/Aqua class room and adding on premium drink package and wi-fi, we find it isn't a huge differential in cost.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

For me, it's like thinking of someone who has never driven a luxury vehicle. You're fine with what you are used to driving, but once you sit inside that plush leather vehicle with all the bells and whistles and the smooth, quiet ride, you aren't quite as excited to get back into your older Toyota.

We made the "mistake" of sailing in suites years back, and I just haven't been able get myself to not book one since. I agree with others who say the Edge class ships really do provide a pretty elevated experience all around, but we love Luminae, enjoy the relative quiet of the Retreat Lounge, and the location and overall feel of the Retreat Pool Deck.  The butler service is also nice as you have pretty much ultimate flexibility on booking and changing reservations, and the Retreat staff is typically pretty amazing.

But if those things aren't a big deal to you...then give the Beyond a shot without it.

Funny but my Toyota is pretty luxurious with all the bells and whistles too.🙂

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, AlteredFate said:

If I were in your shoes a major factor in deciding on an upgrade to the Retreat is the Infinite Veranda.  Last December we had one on the Edge and it felt like nothing more than a big window that when open shut off the room's HVAC system.  Some people love that but we won't do that again.

We enjoy the IV rooms...There's more space inside where needed, more privacy, no noise fron neighbors or balc smoke.. No outdoor space but that's the trade off to get AQ Class and Blu...Have had great attendants in that class cabin..

good to have choices!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Funny but my Toyota is pretty luxurious with all the bells and whistles too.🙂

Having owned both, they aren’t the same…point me to the LS equivalent…I might listen. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

11 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I like my wife's Lexus.  But I take my Toyota to Home Depot.  😁

I have a Chevy Truck for that..

what were we talking about again? 🙂

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I have a Chevy Truck for that..

what were we talking about again? 🙂

I used to have a RAM truck for that,  but my state gets it's gas from California.  My gas savings pays for a cruise or two every year.

We were talking about upgraded cabins vs. regular cabins. 🙂 

Or upgraded cars vs.  regular cars 🙂 

Edited by NMTraveller