Jim_Iain - Live - comparison of Oceania Regatta - Vista Suite to Celebrity Millennium Royal Suite

Jim_Iain

Today is our last day.   The luggage tags and instructions came last night. 

While may indicate that all room types get same priority, we were given Group 1 and indications we will be called around 8:00

On Celebrity Suites are first off the ship after walk offs.   I think priority on. Oceania is to those who pay about $400 for Black Car service.  

IMG_6271.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

When the cruise first began I would have said over 70 but now would say 60's.     I have seen 3 families with small children a hand full of Tweens.

I was surprised at immigration check there was a huge line for Non-US / Canadian residents.     No line what so ever for the U.S.    May just have been our allotted floor time.    Many Australian, New Zealand guests. 

Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I can tell you that we haven't heard anything from our neighbors.   We have neighbors on two sides.    I did notice that the TV's volume is set so not to allow very loud volume.    Not sure if that is true of all other rooms.

The one in the living room mounted on a wall adjacent to a neighboring  cabin seems to be lower --even if you try to crank it up.    It also has a soundbar but haven't noticed any base coming out of it.

I've heard that the Vista is the only class ships that the noise complaints have been been brought. 

Iain enjoys listening to Gary Benbridge   reviews on YouTube.    We looked at all of his reviews and found them to be very accurate and not one to blow his own horn.

He did not enjoy Vista due to the sound issue and said he would not sail her again.   Worth taking a watch

Pros and Cons of cruising on Oceania

Thank you so much for forwarding this super informative video ... that was very thoughtful of you as you're hopefully enjoying your final days of this current cruise.  The video had lots of great info and really liked the pros and cons format.  

Sorry to see your current review coming to an end, but we're looking forward to following on your next adventures in October and November. What a brilliant itinerary you've got upcoming!  Intrigued by the eastbound, followed by the westbound!  Sounds terrific!

On 9/23/2024 at 6:44 PM, catspaw1 said:

Please check your coverage. There is KP Medicare advantage program & regular Fed KP program. You do not have to sign up with KP Medicare advantage. No Fed program to my knowledge requires that. Both pay the same premiums but the Medicare advantage has some advantages although I do have some friends that don't want Medicare advantage. Of course it varies by state & I live in the DMV. Open enrollment is coming up shortly so please inquire. My BIL & SIL are DR in CA but do not participate in KP. 

Another retired Fed here. Federal Reserve employees are not Federal employees so they don’t have Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB.)

the Federal Reserve has its own insurance program.

Strangely, the Federal Reserve Board of Governors and their staffs are federal employees.

2 hours ago, Robkat said:

Thanks for replying.  

One of the reports we'd heard was from a couple on the Vista, who were in a Concierge balcony on deck 10.  They seemed to indicate that while they could hear talking from the next cabin quite clearly, that they had heard that it pertained only to certain specific cabin areas on that ship.  Other people, who'd sailed on other O ships, chimed in and mentioned a similar issue.

So hearing your experience on that ship is heartening and helpful.

We were on deck 11 in a Penthouse suite (similar in size to an S1 on Celebrity S class).  I have read comments about noise too but as you said seems to pertain to just certain areas.  We loved the room, bathroom was great and the balcony excellent.

• Thanks 1

Jim.. 

Sincere thanks for a very informative review..So far we have ruled out this cruise line, as well as Ponant  & Siversea (pricing & experience), 

We will look forward to a Cunard update .. We loved QM 2...quite a few yrs ago.

We like to dress but not too fancy, enjoy a fun party and  most music. I don't drink very much, and have to be careful about carbs and calories

. (type 2 meal planning)  Seems X Aquaclass is still our sweet spot with Specialty dining mixed in..

• Like 1

On 9/18/2024 at 7:30 PM, Jim_Iain said:

The staff and crew are very engaging.    They even have an LGBQT cocktail hour and the Martini Bar.    We have never been into living in the gay ghetto and rarely if ever would go the LGBTQ meet and greet.    I think in today's world gay couples on cruises and travel in general don't blink an eye --- also as a male couple they never make the assumption we are gay.   

Just walking around using Gaydar I would say there are about 6 or more other same sex couples and a couple singles.

Chiming in as a female same sex couple.  We've taken 2 cruises on Oceania and were treated very well.  Same with celebrity.  I've never felt any homophobia from any staff. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hcat said:

we are big gym users.. sadly my cataract surgery has  made us lose alot of gym time.. We like most the weight type  machines  but  are also trying to walk outdoors daily. Dr says that's the best for overall health.  Weather is good now in NY.   We  have a raised ranch stye home and go up and down stairs all day long!

Use it or lose it!

Actually, for the size of the ship, the gym is quite nice.

PXL_20240925_210352392~3.jpg

PXL_20240925_210336814~3.jpg

PXL_20240925_210323225~3.jpg

PXL_20240925_210305842~2.jpg

PXL_20240925_210255114~2.jpg

PXL_20240925_210247880.jpg

PXL_20240925_210240269.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Had dinner at Polo last night.  

I had the Rack of Lamb and Iain had the New England Lobster 🦞 and Crab Cake for a starter. 

IMG_6257.thumb.jpeg.3a72ab7838b319c88fd453c83a451800.jpeg

IMG_6258.thumb.jpeg.8cc1fac5ff1b61c6b7cf805a2eddfb96.jpeg

IMG_6259.thumb.jpeg.188da00319df4f5056d17b0ea6e73dee.jpeg

IMG_6260.thumb.jpeg.2783b40b0c7db6e43b0d3b447f195d98.jpeg

I think as reluctant but ordered Chocolate Mouse on Almond Bun.  

one of the nicest presentations I’ve had at sea.  As good as our local French Bakery.  

It is delicious.  The cheese is apricot jelly. 

IMG_6261.thumb.jpeg.0e17cb565f02daa7506be3dcecc211b2.jpeg

IMG_6262.thumb.jpeg.d6cd6f22e651e5e667933a77e10d05e0.jpeg

• Like 14

This review and the review on the Oceania board make want to go back to Oceania. We spent 26 days on Riviera in 2018 and booked Japan for 2020 because we were booked up in 2019. Like everyone else, we had to move the 2020 cruise. Our son got married in 2021 so we rescheduled again then my husband got frail and we did easy Celebrity cruises because he was very comfortable on the ships.

• Like 1

Sincere thanks for taking the time to complete your live review with its astute comments and compare and contrast. I am sure you will enable many of us to reflect as to whether we give Oceania a try…

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, calicakes said:

Chiming in as a female same sex couple.  We've taken 2 cruises on Oceania and were treated very well.  Same with celebrity.  I've never felt any homophobia from any staff. 

hi there.. how are you both doing?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cluso said:

Actually, for the size of the ship, the gym is quite nice.

PXL_20240925_210352392~3.jpg

PXL_20240925_210336814~3.jpg

PXL_20240925_210323225~3.jpg

PXL_20240925_210305842~2.jpg

PXL_20240925_210255114~2.jpg

PXL_20240925_210247880.jpg

PXL_20240925_210240269.jpg

thanks Jim. that's quite a nice gym.. really enough for a cruise..   you might want to correct the  "chocolate mouse" post 586

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

Thanks for a great review/comparison, I don’t think Oceania is a good fit for us because of the entertainment, although food did look fabulous. We do love our annual celebrity royal suite which is a 70’s music charter with a dozen or more 70s groups and cover bands always on M class . Also looking forward to our MSc YC cruise in 2 months.

• Like 3

Another thank you from me for this comparison as well as the very informative thread with all the great pictures on the Oceania board.
We’ll never be able to afford a suite, feel lucky to be able to enjoy a regular veranda, but I’m still torn between the two lines. The food on O sounds and looks amazing compared to the same old on X but we do enjoy evening entertainment including the production shows and variety of soloists etc. I can def see that the itineraries on O would be more unique so that’s a plus as well….oh what to do what to do 🤔🤷‍♀️😂😂

Cathy

• Like 1

I think Jim has done a fabulous comparison of the two lines. Perceptive as always. We would very happily enjoy more O cruises if the itinerary and price were right. We could overlook the lack of nocturnal vibe/entertainment for a unique active itinerary…… although the best food at sea helps.

Just off the phone with friends who have had a great cruise on Silversea (caveat their first cruise). Think we will have to ask Jim to do a comparison on them too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, George C said:

Thanks for a great review/comparison, I don’t think Oceania is a good fit for us because of the entertainment, although food did look fabulous. We do love our annual celebrity royal suite which is a 70’s music charter with a dozen or more 70s groups and cover bands always on M class . Also looking forward to our MSc YC cruise in 2 months.

George, Can you share with me more details on the 70's band cruise? Dates and Ship would be great!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, r2h2 said:

George, Can you share with me more details on the 70's band cruise? Dates and Ship would be great!

Celebrity and some other lines have music charters , we are currently booked for our 7th Rock and romance which sails in March on the summit. If you google rock and romance charter you should get the information. Same company offers 60’s music called Flower power, soul music, disco music , etc plus there are several different jazz cruises. Our cruise is currently sold our , suites go really quick so we book while on board so we can get same suite. Next year cruise on Summit has Air Supply, Mellisa Manchester, Kansas, Jefferson Starship, Al Stewart and others plus some great cover bands , music is all say long going way past midnight, plus great interviews, artist will sign album’s and CDs . In past we saw Boz Scaggs, America , BJ Thomas , Poco , Don McLean, Michael McDonald . Foreigner , Guess Who etc .Love getting the chance to talk to the different artist . Sometimes there are 3 groups playing at the same time all around the ship. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Had dinner at Polo last night.  

I had the Rack of Lamb and Iain had the New England Lobster 🦞 and Crab Cake for a starter. 

IMG_6257.thumb.jpeg.3a72ab7838b319c88fd453c83a451800.jpeg

IMG_6258.thumb.jpeg.8cc1fac5ff1b61c6b7cf805a2eddfb96.jpeg

IMG_6259.thumb.jpeg.188da00319df4f5056d17b0ea6e73dee.jpeg

IMG_6260.thumb.jpeg.2783b40b0c7db6e43b0d3b447f195d98.jpeg

I think as reluctant but ordered Chocolate Mouse on Almond Bun.  

one of the nicest presentations I’ve had at sea.  As good as our local French Bakery.  

It is delicious.  The cheese is apricot jelly. 

IMG_6261.thumb.jpeg.0e17cb565f02daa7506be3dcecc211b2.jpeg

IMG_6262.thumb.jpeg.d6cd6f22e651e5e667933a77e10d05e0.jpeg

Wow, that dessert is very clever and sounds like the taste was also excellent!

5 hours ago, hcat said:

hi there.. how are you both doing?

Doing well. Although we're currently in marco island florida waiting out the hurricane. We leave on a four day virgin cruise on october second from miami. Hope you both are doing well.