Alaska, which ship/itinerary?

Cruisegirl6

Hello, I have made a couple other posts prior to this and thankfully to people who have answered and helped with our question we decided, 108 caribbean cruises is enough.  I am undergoing heart and blockage issues and the next 3 months plus will have surgery and procedures to get me all fixed up.  Therefore, I have taken the advice of those who said Alaska is a must see and something different to see would be even better.  We chose Alaska, but now have the dilemma of which ship, time of year to sail and itinerary.

My other half is used to routine, so it would be easier to go Seattle to Seattle and not deal with the customs issue but I have some questions if you can please help us with?

1-  Is customs crazy in Victoria?  

2-  Would it be best to originate in Victoria or end in Victoria?

3-  We are considering late may to august, although, I read there is less bug issue in May and it is a drier month which could be a plus, what are your thoughts?  We want to see whales and bears if possible but do not want to be bitten up and we live in Florida so seeing more snow is not an issue to us.  Like your thoughts on going in may, July and possibly august.

4-  I love the large ships, our last four cruises were on the Beyond, we just got off of her two weeks ago, so considering the Edge or the Summit.  The Summit is an older ship and smaller so like to hear your thoughts on the Summit or which ship would you prefer going to Alaska on?  We will be in the Retreat on this cruise as it is a blue chip offer.

5-  Which ports are a must see and which passage do you prefer and why?  We are leaning on the inside passage for now.

6-  Depending upon where we embark, are there any land based trips not to be missed?  (considering we choose Seaward, Victoria or Seattle)?

You guys have been a true blessing helping us, and looking forward to your assistance as we will choose a sailing today, thank you.

35 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

I would never take an edge class ships to Alaska because there is no sky lounge

Agree.  Options for viewing forwards are very limited, unless you enjoy being on the tresdmill in the gym!

As Alaska is the priority looking at which companies do the most desirable trip is the first job, them choose the comlany/ship.

Princess used to be considered the best for variety of options of routings, but Grand Class ships don't have a crows nest bar / sky lounge so they are also best a avoided.

Victoria is not a homeport.  Perhaps you meant Vancouver?  For a B2B?  I agree if this is bucket list, look at Princess or HAL with itineraries to Glacier Bay.  Other glacier locations are often missed due to ice or fog.  EM

• Like 2

I would say look for a smaller ship that goes through the Inside Package and visits the Hubbard Glacier. Although I had always wanted to see Glacier Bay, I was underwhelmed and wished we had gone to see the Hubbard one last time. Smaller ships sail closer to land and you see so much more. If sailing with another couple or more, get balconies  on opposite sides of the ship for best viewing. 

• Like 2

Taking a one way south from Seward allows you a few days before to take in a land portion in conjunction with your sailing if you'd like.  You need to see inland areas to get a good complete Alaska experience.  Doing some land portion first allows you to relax onboard after your land trip and before you head home.  The Summit has been updated and offers great viewing options from many deck areas so I wouldn't be concerned about sailing on her. IMO, taking a one way gives you a more complete experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did the Millennium from Seward to Vancouver (same kind of ship as Summit). We started in Anchorage a few days before and did sightseeing there. Took the train from Vancouver to Seward to board the ship. We absolutely loved it. We went at the end of July. It wasn’t cold, but did have some rain. Doing Princess from Seattle next June. My parents are taking the family on a cruise for their 60th anniversary. They are Princess cruisers, so no choice. Glad we talked them into Alaska. They have been everywhere else In the world, but never Alaska.

• Like 2

We have cruised Alaska many times. My 1st choice would be Summit out of Seward. Add a few days to stay in Seward. There are some great tours out of Seward to see wildlife. The Summit was revolutionize. We did this cruise in 2022 on Millie. We were just on Solstice out of Vancouver BC this month. 

We dont do the Alaska cruise out of Seattle. Out of Seattle you go on the west side of Vancouver Island. What I call a true inside passage goes between Vancouver Island and mainland Canada.

Things to see in Seattle are Pike Street Market, Chihuly Garden and Glass, Wings over Washington, and the Space Needle. Vancouver has Capilano Suspension Bridge Park, Granville Market (nicer than Pike Street Market), Hop on Hop off bus.

I have 2 favorite stops in Alaska. Icy Strait Point features the world's largest ZipRider, with six 5,330' ziplines dropping 1330'. Ketchikan for the Totem Heritage Center, Creek Street, Married Man's Trail and the Salmon Ladder are also not to be missed when exploring.

If you decide on Edge out of Seattle do go to Butchart Gardens even at night. My 2 draw backs of the Edge is the Retreat Lounge does not have a really bar. Food options are limited in Luminae as Luminae is not close to the MDR.

Photo from Seward, AK

20220602_145356.thumb.jpg.05ae48e384bb3210ff279a3b63bcc6e9.jpg20220602_123350.thumb.jpg.40068b1981761a463175ea09cf60acbb.jpg20220602_133710.thumb.jpg.f69ea41d33a7aaee68b363989b0bee0f.jpg

Edited by bigbenboys
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with previous comments in that whilst we enjoyed our time spent in Seattle and the cruise itself, we much preferred the  Vancouver route with more Inside Passage sailing.

I can't comment on Glacier Bay as we have not cruised with Princess /HAL but have certainly considered it just for that one reason. 

We are now looking at a land & sea combo trip as we enjoy Alaska so much. 

Anyone else craving a 🦆 💨

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello, I have made a couple other posts prior to this and thankfully to people who have answered and helped with our question we decided, 108 caribbean cruises is enough.  I am undergoing heart and blockage issues and the next 3 months plus will have surgery and procedures to get me all fixed up.  Therefore, I have taken the advice of those who said Alaska is a must see and something different to see would be even better.  We chose Alaska, but now have the dilemma of which ship, time of year to sail and itinerary.

My other half is used to routine, so it would be easier to go Seattle to Seattle and not deal with the customs issue but I have some questions if you can please help us with?

1-  Is customs crazy in Victoria?  

2-  Would it be best to originate in Victoria or end in Victoria?

3-  We are considering late may to august, although, I read there is less bug issue in May and it is a drier month which could be a plus, what are your thoughts?  We want to see whales and bears if possible but do not want to be bitten up and we live in Florida so seeing more snow is not an issue to us.  Like your thoughts on going in may, July and possibly august.

4-  I love the large ships, our last four cruises were on the Beyond, we just got off of her two weeks ago, so considering the Edge or the Summit.  The Summit is an older ship and smaller so like to hear your thoughts on the Summit or which ship would you prefer going to Alaska on?  We will be in the Retreat on this cruise as it is a blue chip offer.

5-  Which ports are a must see and which passage do you prefer and why?  We are leaning on the inside passage for now.

6-  Depending upon where we embark, are there any land based trips not to be missed?  (considering we choose Seaward, Victoria or Seattle)?

You guys have been a true blessing helping us, and looking forward to your assistance as we will choose a sailing today, thank you.

My brother and his wife have done Alaska on Celebrity, HAL and Oceania.  They told me if I ever do Alaska, Oceania is the way to go, the size of their ships is the particular reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purplsmurf said:

We did the Millennium from Seward to Vancouver (same kind of ship as Summit). We started in Anchorage a few days before and did sightseeing there. Took the train from Vancouver to Seward to board the ship. We absolutely loved it.

We did the same thing when we did Alaska with the addition of a night or 2 in Seward. This is what I would recommend if Celebrity was the option, like in OP's case.

• Like 2

The OP has mentioned that they'll be in the Retreat on a Blue Chip cruise. So, although I do agree that HAL and Princess are good for Alaska, the OP should also be able to have a lovely time on Celebrity.

The "easiest" and most routine cruise is the Seattle RT on Edge, and in the Retreat you will have access to the Retreat Sun Deck for good glacier viewing.

But I agree that the best Alaska experience would be the Seward-Vancouver route - you get to see much more of Alaska. You'll just need to put more work in - the connecting flight to Anchorage, the train to Seward, going through customs to fly home from Vancouver. If you consider this bucket-list, once in a lifetime, and have the time and energy to spare, this should be a fabulous trip.

7 minutes ago, ccqueenanne said:

The OP has mentioned that they'll be in the Retreat on a Blue Chip cruise. So, although I do agree that HAL and Princess are good for Alaska, the OP should also be able to have a lovely time on Celebrity.

The "easiest" and most routine cruise is the Seattle RT on Edge, and in the Retreat you will have access to the Retreat Sun Deck for good glacier viewing.

But I agree that the best Alaska experience would be the Seward-Vancouver route - you get to see much more of Alaska. You'll just need to put more work in - the connecting flight to Anchorage, the train to Seward, going through customs to fly home from Vancouver. If you consider this bucket-list, once in a lifetime, and have the time and energy to spare, this should be a fabulous trip.

That is some great info.  Although, I prefer the Edge I am going to take your advice and go on the Summit from Seaward (spend a few days there and take some tours before the cruise) then end the cruise in Vancouver.  I read that I would clear American customs in Vancouver which is nice and that our checked luggage will be transferred automatically.  Thank you so very much!

• Like 2

@Cruisegirl6:  I am assuming that you are still considering your options for the Blue Chip comped cruise.  So you are considering Celebrity sailings.

First, as already pointed out to you, your questions 1 and 2 mention Victoria.  Victoria is not a embarkation or disembarkation port.  Vancouver is the embarkation or disembarkation port.  Canadian Customs and Immigration is not an issue.  If you disembark in Vancouver you clear US Immigration in the Vancouver airport.

Don't overthink insects.  

We spent 40 nights on the Edge last fall traveling from Civitavecchia to Sydney.  Even with access to the Retreat sun deck the Edge is a poor ship for Alaska.  The Summit is a much better choice. We also have done the Seward to Vancouver itinerary as a B2B.  

There are numerous options for a land trip in Alaska before or after a cruise.   

Sounds like this is a bucket list, perhaps once in a lifetime type cruise.  Definitely take whichever ship offers the most ports.  I believe that would be Summit out of Vancouver.  If you can, I even recommend doing a B2B up and back.  So much to see and do.  In Alaska, I choose for the itinerary more so than the ship.  Edge class and larger ships are fine for Caribbean cruises, but not so much for Alaska.  More limited viewing areas and fewer ports usually.  My favorite times of year are when there are not many kids - either May or September, with the latter being my favorite due to fall colors, but I've enjoyed both.  Granted it's a little more hassle to cruise out of Vancouver rather than Seattle, but IMHO it's definitely worth it.  I am no youngster myself (mid-70s) and I would definitely pick Summit.  In fact I have picked her (or her sister M class ships in past years) to sail to Alaska multiple times.  You might hear that you have to take another line and see Glacier Bay.  I'm sure its nice.  But believe me Hubbard Glacier is very, very nice as well.

• Like 1