Watching US election results aboard ship

TXGREG

We will be at sea on the Eclipse during Election day in the USA. Does anyone have any idea of what venues the results may be shown in? I know the Eclipse does not have an outdoor big screen like some of the other S class ships.

We have never sailed in November and so do not know what Celebrity might do on that important day.

Thank you

When we were on a cruise over Election Day several years ago, there was no where to watch any election results and we honestly cruised at that time to get away from it all.  I would think your best solution would be to watch it on your personal device unless a channel on tv gets it.  

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, TXGREG said:

We will be at sea on the Eclipse during Election day in the USA. Does anyone have any idea of what venues the results may be shown in? I know the Eclipse does not have an outdoor big screen like some of the other S class ships.

We have never sailed in November and so do not know what Celebrity might do on that important day.

Thank you

They will not show in public areas, cabin TV only.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We were on a TA during eight years ago and there was no TV showing results only in your room. It was nice not to have the coverage so you can enjoy your vacation. I remember we just arrived in NYC that day. I woke up at 130am and turned on TV when we saw the results change and Trump won. We had about 30percent euros on the ship and the next night they were really nervous about what was going to happen in US and effects on them. Life went on the next day. It was nice to be on a ship where people got along peacefully. 

8 hours ago, TXGREG said:

Thank you

BBC world service can offer a good ‘summary’ of events like major elections on the hour…They are usually very factual and brief. Rather than waste hours in your room following on TV just pick up summaries on your iPad/phone every couple of hours.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TXGREG said:

Thank you

we have been on Celebrity ships for 2 US Elections (Second Obama and Trump v Clinton) and the UK's Brexit Vote - all cases were a total "non event" on the ship and everything carried on as normal. There were no broadcasts on the public screens with the usual tv channels available in your cabin. This year we will be in Dallas.

US politics has devolved over the last several elections into such divisiveness that the last thing I would want to do on a cruise ship is watch the results in a public space.

Even just seeing cruisers on our recent Eclipse voyage who were wearing presidential candidate clothing was off-putting to me because it jarred me back from the respite from politics I was seeking.

• Like 4

Just be aware that Georgia will probably not have election results elections night. I'm an elections officer in VA. Georgia just changed their elections law a few days ago so now the ballots need to be physically counted & by 3 different people! This puts an enormous burden on elections officers as we normally do not physically count ballots. As it is, we normally don't finish our work until around 2-3 hours after the polls close. So this is a game changer. It could take hours more to get results.  IMHO as an accountant, this is totally unnecessary,  & a huge waste of time & money. The internal controls are already in place to ensure the number of ballots totals the machine count. More errors will incur with having a hand count as its easy to make hand counting errors.  Georgia is a swing state that could possibly decide the election. So unless the election is a blowout for one party, expect contested results which will delay the decision as to who will be the next POTUS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why would you want to get upset and ruin your cruise by watching the results?  

If that is what you want to do I am sure there will be an app or website you can watch or as others have said in your cabin.   Recently I was at the doctor’s and the food network was on the tvs in the waiting room.  I asked the receptionist about that and she said that it is the only channel they found that didn’t cause arguments and fights in the waiting room.   😱

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, miched said:

Why would you want to get upset and ruin your cruise by watching the results?  

If that is what you want to do I am sure there will be an app or website you can watch or as others have said in your cabin.   Recently I was at the doctor’s and the food network was on the tvs in the waiting room.  I asked the receptionist about that and she said that it is the only channel they found that didn’t cause arguments and fights in the waiting room.   😱

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 

that's one approach!

images-1.jpeg

Edited by hcat
  • Haha 3