The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 30th, 2024

14 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!  I woke up and turned on the news only to find that a chemical plant in the county east of ours had exploded and saw huge plumes of gases flowing out.into the air.  They said that they were asking for people to evacuate in that county near the plant, and others to close their windows and turn off the air. BUT they didnt say which way the wind was blowing, and I did smell weird air when I went out to feed the outdoorians.  Our friends live in that  county,  But they are staying with the youngest daughter during the week while the  husband is working in an office over on the southern part of town.  

Helene just isnt going away, and the amount of damage the rains did in NC is incredible.  I rerouted our trip out west, as we were going to start out at a museum near the NC border. Now we will be going through Alabama and Mississippi, ;and stop in Corinth MS.  I have a personal goal to visit all of the Civil War battlefields, before land grubbers buy out all the land.  I have been to Gettysburg, Antietam. Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge,Andersonville (where the only battle was to stay alive, but my grandmothers older brother did not) Tupelo (battlefield is a small park the size of half of a city block) and an area of Florida, a non battle which happened  near the end of the Civil war, where they just chased each other around amongst the swamp and the pines.  Visiting Corinth and Shiloh is a bucket list for me.  I guess I will get around to Virginia some time, where one of my great uncles died in Richmond.  The battle of Cold Harbour. I think most families would have gone through 5 generations since the civil war, mine has only had 3.

@RedneckBobI am sorry that you have been ill, and I do hope that better days are coming soon for you.  You were truly missed here.  Perhaps you should get one of our email addresses so that if something goes wrong, you or a family member will let us know what is going on. The Dailyites are family.  We worry.

@dfishI am sorry that Sue is having a hard time with her son. Other than blocking him on her phone, there is not much more she can do.  Call the law?  no.  Unless he shows up at your door. I was taking care of my dad in Florida years ago, and my beau at the time went off the wagon while he was staying in my house to take care of my cats.  He got lonely and drunk, and called long distance to random numbers in Alaska, because he said they were all lonely (in winter) and would talk to him.  My phone bill was over 600 bucks that month.  I then added unlimited long distance to the phone, and threw him out.

DH is sleeping in this morning, I guess that binge watching Downtown Abbey all weekend was too much for him.  And we only got into season 2.  I cant wait til Formula 1 comes back.

From the Museum of Rome

image.thumb.jpeg.69cebae54a1ad0e7a71b4402a4fb652b.jpeg

Annie, you are always in my prayers.  

I hope you get to do your trip.

Terri

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from Yellowstone!

We’ll be checking out of the B&B this morning, then have a few hours in the park before driving to Bozeman and flying home. It has been wonderful as always, and this time we were blessed with excellent weather too. And as always I’m already looking forward to coming back. 

Some photos from yesterday. We walked around Norris Geyser area, the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, and finally saw a bear this trip. A good sized black bear. 

IMG_5179.jpeg.bcc0cec4df92ef6e0c48199363ffd3b2.jpeg

IMG_5180.jpeg.3a5e0cbe4c8ce3765810f1fa2400a804.jpeg

IMG_5181.thumb.jpeg.89220b46e218f95c75d2872a4b644329.jpeg

IMG_5182.thumb.jpeg.3fed146c14219ea66f31d62838d12e44.jpeg

IMG_5183.thumb.jpeg.664e0a2f9972dca47e331b834c16534c.jpeg

IMG_5184.thumb.jpeg.e043edd2339be8db6b064e5673f6ed3f.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I've subscribed to a few podcasts, but never find the time to listen to them.  Translators are important, and loving people is too.  Thank goodness for dental anesthetic, the Grand Ole Opry was so important back then, and yay for the ethernet!

Well the little message on the bottom corner of the computer was accurate; we woke up to 6 degrees this morning with only a high of 13 expected (42 and 55), and wow, did we have some rain overnight!  I heard it raining hard somewhere in the wee hours of the morning, but of course went back to sleep.  When I got up this morning I saw it must have rained buckets, as there are leaves splattered all over the back lawn.  Right now we've got a strong wind blowing, so I'm sure more leaves will be coming down; there's no point in going out with a rake just yet.

Today in Canada it's National Day of Truth and Reconciliation; a time for us to remember the children who were taken from their homes and put into residential schools, and the atrocities that happened there.  The theme in Cree is "Tahto Awasis Asitakimaw" which means "Every Child Matters"; I'll be wearing my orange shirt today to honour them.

Truth.jpg.4e09f230bd4b8f5e815dd6ad9171a2ff.jpg

@JazzyVBon Voyage; I hope you have a wonderful cruise and that your leg doesn't give you any grief at all.  I'd be bringing a rollator along if it were me.

I'd like to try the drink, will say yes to the wine, and might try the recipe later in the winter.  Yesterday DH was looking for something in the fridge freezer when he had an avalanche of frozen food come down on him.  He was not amused, but it meant we had to finally clean it out and organize it a bit better.  While doing that I found a vacuum sealed package of barbecued smokies from Summerfest that are currently thawing in the fridge and will be served with leftover fries from New York Fries that DH brought home yesterday.  I think we'll dine at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, particularly those who suffered losses from Helene.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning from Boston. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

3 good days to celebrate. I like the quote. The meal looks good. Pass on the drink and wine. I have been to Cape Horn and the Drake passage.

Sorry the formatting of the Cares list may be off, as I’m using my iPad. I will be boarding around 12:30. Thanks for the Bon Voyage wishes. On the drive here we had light rain from Helene, and lots of road construction. I’ll be glad to relax on the ship. The leg isn’t too bad, and I plan to take off the wrap tonight as it won’t stay up. I’ll try the new compression garment on it tomorrow. I’m deciding about taking the rollator onboard.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the photos of Cape Horn and the newlyweds.

@Cruzin Terri Good luck with the appointments today.

@dfish I’m sorry to hear how Sue’s son is treating her.

@rafinmd I hope you get the go ahead to transfer to rehab today.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Have a great time @JazzyV (no blue bubble today).

Susan

• Like 16

Good morning, 

We're having a cooler Monday morning but the sun is out so that's good. Off to the pool in a bit for water aerobics then some banking to do so not the most exciting day. DS is supposed to be over to do some painting but we'll see how that goes. 

@StLouisCruisers I saw on the sailaway thread for today for the Eurodam that they are staying in Juneau overnight and not going to Glacier Bay or Sitka. Instead they will cruise Endicott Arm on Wednesday. A copy of the letter is posted there. 

Karen

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7

29 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

According to HAL’s Facebook page, today is also National Stroopwaffle Day. 
I wish we could all be onboard to enjoy one.

Agree! They're just not the same when you buy them at Publix and eat them at home or at work 😉

Another warm sunny day here in Florida - with typical summer thunderstorms expected this afternoon.  I've never listened to a podcast but the other 2 days are important. As stated earlier, some people can be very hard to love! Thank goodness for anesthesia - I start work on a crown tomorrow, and have a minor outpatient surgery the next day, neither of which would happen without the appropriate anesthesia!

The meal is definitely a NO for me, as is the wine (due to being red). Spiderman is another drink I'd never heard of, but I'd try it. The port is a definite YES - not yet, but once I've retired. My plan has been to do the Grand SA/Antarctica trip as my retirement gift to myself, so hopefully it will be returning. With the Pole to Pole coming up I understand not doing it that year, but I remain optimistic for the years beyond that.

Hope everyone good rest of the day! Cheers to the cruisers, positive thoughts to the ones dealing unpleasant issues.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 23

Thank you Sandi, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Prayers for those affected by Hurricane Helene and the families of the 101 that lost their lives!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Just got an email from Roy.

Still here another night as my morning weight showed too much fluid.

Wearing compression socks overnight but slept reasonably well.

Morning was a bit chaotic but finally calmed down.  From a cardiac standpoint I would have been cleared for rehab but waiting on the fluids.

Roy Ferguson

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 27

Better watch it Sailingdutchy is trying to post again , wonder if has learned it yet to do it on his new iMac ..............

Today another nice memory to look at , Cape Horn or in Dutch Kaap Hoorn named after the city in the Netherlands of Hoorn for the birthplace of navigator Willem Corneliszoon Schouten who rounded the Cape in 1616 .
Forward to 2015 while on our Antarctica cruise on the Zaandam on Feb 7th , 2015 our Captain PJ van Maurik  went through the Drake Passage and circled Cabo de Hornos .

We had very fine weather doing all of this so I can show a few pictures , but you can see that the winds can be very strong here from the damaged monument that had partially been blown over 

Tony

• Like 23

So Sorry tried different ways to copy and paste or send emails from old iMac to the new one 

Last try .....

Oh Wowwwwwww  he did it ! 

DSCN2449.thumb.JPG.36867c96d7fe8cd71a8a4262402cd9c3.JPG

P2070373.thumb.JPG.b5ebad75ab1cfb1cc5b255cc36ead566.JPG

P2070342.thumb.JPG.194ec992c668bb4ea69f0509e8968dc4.JPG

From the screen in the crows nest
DSCN2455.thumb.JPG.83bb7c185eed21ee2d827aebabfbb368.JPG

P2070469.thumb.JPG.100be0e847aee93efee096b8535df066.JPG

Chilean coastguard 

P2070400.thumb.JPG.fcd9a01b4fb97f034fcbaf99a4f94ace.JPG

P2070483.thumb.JPG.5ac07b253fd6d0bf77335b7e47b10bf5.JPG

And a gorgeous sky before while starting the crossing to Antarctica 

1903367441_DSCN24652.thumb.JPG.6d8102c3445815e145be0b8779a07e5f.JPG

P2080632.thumb.JPG.9feff2fa669cf0037c077aa8b0409e3c.JPG

Tony 😄

Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 4

The casserole is one that I couldn't make at home, unless I used non-dairy cheese or non-meat beef. I'd probably like the drink. For the wine, let's have the Pinor Noir-Gewürtztraminer   co-ferment 2022 from the oddball Six Eighty Cellars, $26. "Inspired by creative blends from Alsace, France and Oregon, this is a 50/50 blend of de-stemmed Pinot Noir and Gewürtztraminer. The Gewürtztraminer imparts its signature floral and spiced aromatics complemented by bright red fruits for a lively nose. For such a playful, easy-drinking wine, it's full of intrigue, complex flavors, and just a touch of tannin. Enjoy as a full-bodied, structured rosé or a light, chill-able red."

caughtsomethingfromthecat.jpg.7ddca946d763053bd89ded804765817f.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 7

11 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Rabbits, Rabbits White Rabbits, on this first morning of October.

Good morning, thank you for posting the HAL Fleet locations.

Will read all the posts later.

That's not fair you are way ahead of all of us again .......

Greetings and best wishes from the other side of the world !

Tony 😄

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon, it's another pleasant day here.  Not so windy, low 70's! I'm not a podcast person, Translation Day is good and so is Love People Day.  The meal might be good, haven't been to the port, but the pictures are nice...thanks.

@Sharon in AZgood to hear that you heard from Pennie!

@rafinmdPrayers that your fluid retention resolves and you get to rehab to resume that journey! 

@JazzyVCan't wait to hear about your adventure, prayers it all goes well for you! 

@StLouisCruisersNice to see pictures from Rome! 

@RedneckBobHoping you're feeling better!  We miss you! 

@marshhawkhoping your day is going well...

Praying that all have a good day, and that those harmed by Helene are safe.  Just looking at news reports makes me teary...I can't even imagine.  Sounds like they are trying to get food and water to people who need it.  Saw some pictures from St. Pete beach...they have lots of food and water to get to the people.  We spent a month there years ago, and it was such a nice area to go to.  

Have a good day and stay safe!  Karen

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Not exactly a stroopwafel, but....

It's a Jewish custom to eat fried foods at Hanukkah. In the Middle East, this usually means filled doughnuts, while in central and eastern Europe it was potato pancakes.

Dutch Jews, however, eat waffles. This is because a Hebrew phrase associated with Hanukkah, nes v'fele, meaning "miracle and wonder," sounds to the Dutch ear as if it should mean "miracle [of the] waffle."

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning!

I have heard from Pennie!  @Nickelpenny

She asked me to let everyone know that she had a family emergency and has been away. She will catch up soon. 

Thank you, Sharon! Wonderful that you reached out to her. 

• Like 17