The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday October 3rd, 2024

Good sunny and warm afternoon. 
Terry, @smitty34877this must be the week for school threats. I had mentioned that on Monday a high school was put on lockdown for a kid bringing a BB gun that was a replica of a Glock , in his waistband. The next day the entire district was closed due to a threat on social media. I read a 14 year old was arrested for it. The only good thing about this is the police department is across the street from the schools.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Here is Roy's latest update.

Slept better last night despite some issues.

Things seem to run late in the morning making 8:00 therapy a struggle.

PT was mostly with the walker, starting with basically the same walk as yesterday.  No break at the windows but the walk was a bit shorter due to starting from a closer point.  Then work navigating steps and carpets.  Finally a bit of walking with the cane, the best day yet but far from stable.

OT was working on eye hand coordination while standing using a few games.

Recreational therapy was a treat, sitting outside for a while talking about cruising.

A final half hour of OT was standing at about a 48 inch screen trying to follow moving targets on the screen, a challenge trying to reach the far corners of the screen while keeping one hand on the walker.

Final session was with the speech therapist working on breathing exercises and I was done at noon.

Trying to deal with a prescription my pharmacy just filled.  No idea what it is.

Roy

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 20

19 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Here is Roy's latest update.

Slept better last night despite some issues.

Things seem to run late in the morning making 8:00 therapy a struggle.

PT was mostly with the walker, starting with basically the same walk as yesterday.  No break at the windows but the walk was a bit shorter due to starting from a closer point.  Then work navigating steps and carpets.  Finally a bit of walking with the cane, the best day yet but far from stable.

OT was working on eye hand coordination while standing using a few games.

Recreational therapy was a treat, sitting outside for a while talking about cruising.

A final half hour of OT was standing at about a 48 inch screen trying to follow moving targets on the screen, a challenge trying to reach the far corners of the screen while keeping one hand on the walker.

Final session was with the speech therapist working on breathing exercises and I was done at noon.

Trying to deal with a prescription my pharmacy just filled.  No idea what it is.

Roy

Lenda

Roy, your first full day at rehab sounds wonderful.  Not by your standards, but think about where you were a week ago! This sounds like “our Roy”!

Lots of love! (and support). 

Ann

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a warm, 92F, and sunny central Texas.  With the 4mph breeze from the ESE it's not too bac in the shade.  Once the car cools off a bit, we'll be adding coolant to the a/c.  Since the final payment for our Hawaii cruise in January is approaching, and next week will be busy, I'm going to start getting the gift cards to make that final payment.  This is the first time we've had three cruises booked at the same time, and usually we book after final payment; so this is a different experience.

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Nice photos Lenda.

Thank you for sharing them.

Thank you, Graham. 

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning everyone. Slept like a baby until 8:30! We have cruised down or up the Saint Lawrence at least eight times, mainly on repositioning cruises. We will do it again in October 25 from Montreal to Miami and beyond into the Caribbean. Needless to say we enjoy that itinerary. Many of those cruises were on our beloved Maasdam. 
Sue has a doctor’s appointment this morning for a pre op with our family physician. Her knee replacement will be later in the month. Monday I’ll finally get my dermatology surgery. October is going to be a very busy month.

Vanessa I feel your excitement on your much needed upcoming cruise. I hope it exceeds your expectations.

@RedneckBob So good to have you posting again.

We are keeping watch on the Gulf and praying that they won’t develop.

Thank you so much for the featured post and all of you who contribute to our Daily read.

Have a great day. Bruce

image.jpeg.9817fa60e2763431955488f8ae7dbf15.jpegimage.jpeg.bcf2e55364e07e1db7a62e80f0019dd5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f14a29ccb3ad6a525d8aacd98e83618d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.960bbe56cb73515f91692945df5537d6.jpeg

Bruce, I hope Sue's pre-op appointment went well. 

4 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Thursday. Our streak of 100 degrees or over continues. Yesterday was 104 and today about the same. It doesn’t look like it will get cooler for another week. 

Since I’m not a big fan of soup in general I’ll pass on the meal. Although I do agree Debbie @dfish, the third one looks good. I like garbanzo beans and have roasted them which makes them crispy and crunchy, yum. You can use any seasoning you prefer.  Also, congratulations on the new family member Abraham Thomas!  Big boy!

@ottahand7, Craig was at Costco yesterday and many shoppers were loading their carts with TP. The brand we prefer was out but he said the Kirkland was in stock. It’s on DM’s list this week so we are going to try Target this morning. I hope John is able to find some. 

I have sailed the St Lawrence 4 or 5 times and I’ll look for a few pictures. I still don’t know how to resize them so they don’t come out black. So I have to email them to myself to post. 

Have a good day everyone!

Sharon, I hope you found the toilet paper you like at Target.  We're lucky we have enough here to last, so we don't need to buy any before we head west.  In Quartzsite, we are using the last of the  pandemic stockpile.  😁

4 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. Another sunny and dry day for us today. And another "exciting" day of trying to get the back bedroom sorted and the house "dejunked". Weather here is cool in the morning (it was 45F when dogs and I walked) but highs during the day are at or near record of low 80's. Things may change a bit next week. The leaves are turning and are absolutely lovely this year. And the bears are busy bulking up. My early morning and late evening dog walks are done very carefully.

My step-sister checked in from near Asheville. They were very lucky and their house was not damaged and they finally have cell service. What a terrible mess there and in the surrounding areas and states.

Otherwise nothing new. I am sending my best wishes for a good day to all. Hope doctor's appointments and medical issues go well. And we all use bubble wrap as needed.

Susan

Susan, I'm glad your step-sister and her family are all right and that their house was not damaged.

4 hours ago, 0bsessed said:

I love to see the leaves changing color. Taken on a hike on Tuesday. 20241001_153926.thumb.jpg.3ba81368b951b6e5b18fac22fcee9b99.jpg

Welcome to The Daily.  Thanks for the lovely pictures of the fall colors.

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

This toilet paper thing reminds me of Covid!  Remember the runs on TP then?  At least, if you stock up, it won't go bad...

I think we have a 90% chance of rain today.  Or maybe it's tomorrow.  But the reservoir is down to 74%, so we really need it.   

Pat is going to go with me to the hospital today, he can't drive yet, but will wait in the car while I am irradiated and then we'll go for a bang-up breakfast at Timmie's.  I'm kind of annoyed, the oncologist told me they're going to irradiate the whole thing, not just that little bit of me that she said originally.   Oh, well, I guess they know what they're doing.  Leanne is starting radiation today, too, but at a different time, so we are not car-pooling...  Her mother will take her.  She  starts chemo today, too.  I think she said she will have 4 1/2 weeks of radiation, with a chemo treatment once a week for that time.  It's going to be so hard on her.

Thinking of you all today!  Thanks for the news.

On the St. Lawrence

IMG_3337.thumb.JPG.a818310154294b32db69dd13bff76b9b.JPG

Ann, I hope you get the much needed rain.  I also hope your treatment is not too bad.  I hope Leanne can tolerate the radiation and chemo treatments.

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Lets just say, terrible nurse, who was American but couldnt be understood.  He was new and in training, wish they trained him in a medical college.  The guy who took my blood, was fantastic, and my physical seemed a waste of time, the training nurse came back and asked all the questions, and the doc came in, asked me about any pain, mental problems, etc, I just dont think I had much of a physical, at least this time she looked in my ears, opened my mouth wide and said " AH" and listened to my heart.  I had more thorough exams when we played doctor when I was 6.

Oh well, I guess that's why I have a lung doctor, a heart doctor, and the emergency room. ??

My blood pressure was not high, it was when I got there, but after two hours, it had gone done.

Off to work.  @Obsessed Welcome!  Loved the picture.

Annie, unless your insurance requires you to use that doctor, a new PCP might be in order.  I hope your blood work does not show any problems.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

I’m reposting my pictures from April 30, 2021 — Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the link. 

Sorry that the font is small. 

On our 2nd Canada/New England Cruise September 2009 on the Eurodam.  New York City to Quebec City.

This was a sea day after Charlottetown:

IMG_1047.thumb.JPG.eeb3022a5463439966c2095b6d0e613f.JPG

The next day we went to Saguenay:

IMG_1091.thumb.JPG.5e1cf08a1cc9fed1c34b85c171df0e74.JPG

We were the first cruise ship to dock at the new terminal and there was quite a celebration for us.  The locals were in costume welcoming us on the pier:

IMG_1089.thumb.JPG.1fd0e6db3c0d26f34d980ed029bc29db.JPG

The wine was flowing:

IMG_1094.thumb.JPG.6434469b1e6896e2fcc70c55a9bd3dfb.JPG

That is where I got my beloved Saguenay wine glasses.  The new terminal:

IMG_1108.thumb.JPG.6b7a9281156df328dda22897e3b8daab.JPG

And afterward we sailed the Saguenay Fjord:

IMG_1113.thumb.JPG.c2a270e24ef90f9b3ac1b39771e7d818.JPG

The Madonna Statue from afar:

IMG_1130.thumb.JPG.7873c73d507ad90631ca6016dfe128c6.JPG

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

We have an interesting assortment of days today - I drank smoothies occasionally in the distant past, leaves look mostly the same in FL all year long, and mean girls are best when put in their place or ignored until they leave. Don't see a use for them, and they certainly don't deserve a day!

Pass on the meal and the strange cocktail, but pour me a glass of wine and I'll enjoy the beautiful port photos (port is new to me). 

@marshhawk at the risk of coming across preachy, I encourage you (and everyone) to get those mammograms when due. I've had breast cancer 3 times (2002, 2010 & 2018) and every time it was detected via routine mammogram and was never big enough to be felt in a breast exam. As a result, I never had to deal with chemo - just a myriad of other stuff. Mammograms do work, and can save you unnecessary suffering down the road - possibly saving your life, too. 

Moving on, we're back home. The dental appointments this morning went fine and the results of my surgical biopsies came in while at the dental place - all benign, no issues. We're headed out to a Japanese steakhouse (hibachi style) when they open for dinner - we'll be stuffed!

Finally, thought I'd share a photo of my grandson Ari, who flew up to PA (from FL) with his parents to attend his great-grandmother's funeral. Ari's 8 years old - evidently that's old enough to be a pilot these days!

image.jpeg.84956c75a99e51a9fb9db29593bc80fc.jpeg

• Like 23

These are pictures from the repositioning cruise October 2022. Many Dailyites were on board also. 

Sailing away from Quebec City late afternoon taken from our verandah. This is one of my favorite pictures.  I love the colors and the way the light is, plus the beautiful Montmorency Falls. 

image.jpeg.28e566897f455e1645fd448ea92f6af7.jpeg

image.jpeg.c317156a91018d56b049149a7359ec46.jpeg

This is the next day near Baie des HaHa which is near the Saguenay fjord entrance. 

image.jpeg.9bd83d3dc869cfd82d92047004ba29e5.jpeg

These are pictures from my most recent cruise August/September 2024. 

On August 30, 2024 as we approached Quebec City. 

image.jpeg.85e51d4963773303e8d2613ad5f58bbf.jpeg

image.jpeg.f462f5d5092b46c28b7ca4e287518959.jpeg

Montmorency Falls in the distance. 

image.jpeg.0cf77ac9c3b1952eddcba3ac09356c82.jpeg

Definitely one of my favorite itineraries!

• Like 19

Good afternoon from Charlottetown, PEI. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I like smoothies. One of my trip goals is to see changing leaves. I don’t appreciate mean girls. Good quote. Not sure about carrot soup. Pass on the drink and wine. I will be cruising the St Lawrence River soon. Reunification Day is a big holiday in Germany.

it’s another nice sunny day today here in Charlottetown. We did some sightseeing this AM. I’ve been using the rollator, which helps me be stable. I have a sea day tomorrow, then we spend an overnight in Quebec City.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for our start today.

@marshhawk I hope your physical went ok.

@AncientWanderer Nice photo.

@dfish Congrats to the family on the arrival of Abraham.

@cunnorl I hope the shingles shot effects are soon gone.

@smitty34877 I’m glad to hear that DB is coming this weekend.

@Heartgrove I’m glad to hear that your DSIL is progressing.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the photos; I’ll be in some of those areas in the next few days.

@Obsessed Nice photo. Welcome to the Daily.

@aliaschief Best wishes to Sue on her upcoming knee surgery and to you on your dermatology surgery.

@luvteaching Safe travels.

@Vict0riann I hope all goes well today. I had to laugh as we passed several “Timmies” today as we were out and I thought of the Canadian Dailyites! Prayers for Leanne. 

@Seaviewer great photos. I have that last view from my balcony right now.

@rafinmd Busy day, but I hope you’ll see a bit of progress daily.

@Sharon in AZ Lovely photos.

@wdw1972 Great news on the biopsy results. Cute grandson!

@kazu I hope your MRI and cataract surgeries are soon.

Prayers for the Care List and a toast to those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 7

First radiation is done.  Leanne came in while we were in the waiting room and gave us both a hug.  She had had her radiation, was going to an appointment with the dietitian, and then her chemo.  My radiation was supposed to be half an hour, but ended up as an hour and a half, as the machine broke down halfway through, and after quite a long wait, had to start over.  When we got home, after a nice lunch at Timmie’s, I had a message from the gastroenterologist about a colonoscopy.  I said I’d be happy to wait until next year, but ended up with an appointment in November.  Something more to look forward to!  Hopefully all is well down there, and I won’t need another.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 8

@0bsessed Welcome to the Daily and Fleet Report!  What a lovely photo!🍂

Annie @marshhawk your doctor doesn't sound very helpful.  And the nurse even worse.  I would like to see you find a new primary doctor if at all possible.  You deserve better!

Roy @rafinmd I hope things continue going well with your therapies.  Thanks for keeping Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser updated, and thanks Lenda for letting us know.

Sue @wdw1972 good news about your negative biopsies.  Your grandson Ari is a real cutie!

Vanessa @JazzyV it's good to hear from you this afternoon and glad to hear you're able to get around some with the rollator.  Staying overnight in Quebec City will be great!

Ann @Vict0riann I hope things go well with your during your treatment, and the same for Leanne.

Thanks everyone for their wonderful photos today of cruising the St. Lawrence River.  🚢

I noticed the C. S. Lewis quote this morning but it was only a portion of yesterday's so I went ahead and posted it.  I'm not sure where to go to look for a new quote so let's hope tomorrow's is different.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

These are pictures from the repositioning cruise October 2022. Many Dailyites were on board also. 

Sailing away from Quebec City late afternoon taken from our verandah. This is one of my favorite pictures.  I love the colors and the way the light is, plus the beautiful Montmorency Falls. 

image.jpeg.28e566897f455e1645fd448ea92f6af7.jpeg

image.jpeg.c317156a91018d56b049149a7359ec46.jpeg

This is the next day near Baie des HaHa which is near the Saguenay fjord entrance. 

image.jpeg.9bd83d3dc869cfd82d92047004ba29e5.jpeg

These are pictures from my most recent cruise August/September 2024. 

On August 30, 2024 as we approached Quebec City. 

image.jpeg.85e51d4963773303e8d2613ad5f58bbf.jpeg

image.jpeg.f462f5d5092b46c28b7ca4e287518959.jpeg

Montmorency Falls in the distance. 

image.jpeg.0cf77ac9c3b1952eddcba3ac09356c82.jpeg

Definitely one of my favorite itineraries!

The 2022 trip was one of my favorites, with all the Dailyites!!

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 4