Are Celebrity gratuities about to go up?

CruseKrazy

6 minutes ago, CruseKrazy said:

RCL just announced a 50 cent per person per day increase in daily gratuities on all sailings effective Nov 1. They do allow prepaying these now before Nov 1 to avoid this increase.  Speculating Celebrity can’t be far behind?

X raised theirs in July 2023.  RCI raised theirs in November 2023, so it wouldn't surprise me if X followed suit.  Prepaying on RCI (prior to 1 Nov) does avoid the increase per RCI.

1 hour ago, CruseKrazy said:

RCL just announced a 50 cent per person per day increase in daily gratuities on all sailings effective Nov 1. They do allow prepaying these now before Nov 1 to avoid this increase.  Speculating Celebrity can’t be far behind?

Where did you read this? 

My Magic 8 Ball says, "yes". 

Edited by doghog

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I feel like Celebrity already has the highest daily grats in the mass market industry. 

Depending on stateroom category:

Princess:  $17 - $19

Carnival:  $16 - $18

HAL:  $17 - $19

MSC (Caribbean):  $16 - $20

RCI (as of Nov. 1):  $18.50 - $21

Celebrity:  $18 - $23

47 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

Concierge on Celebrity is $19.  I just booked one.

Inside, ocean view, and veranda are $18.  Aqua is also $19.  Retreat is at the highest level at $23.

Those gratuities have not changed and has been that since July '23.  RCI announced their $.50 per category daily increase today effective Nov. 1.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I remember the days when it was $7.00pp per day. They split it; $3.00 for the waiter, $1.50 for the assistant waiter and $3.00 for the room Stewert. I've always wondered. since they now collect $18pp per day, does all of the tip money really trickle down to the staff. 

Edited by HBDave
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CruseKrazy said:

Yes they will be going up by 50 Cents per person per day starting November 1.   Notices are starting to go out to cruises in November.

CelebrityNewTipamount.jpg.da97ecff66f46240b56db4858073a273.jpg

Whilst day to day charges may be increasing it needs to be considered in light of overall cost.

We did our first cruise in about 2010, we did our last one a few weeks ago.  The cruise fare was about the same, largely due to the increase in the number of ships which are generally now much larger.  That increase in cabin capacity has allowed prices to remain very competitive.

14 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Depending on stateroom category:

Princess:  $17 - $19

Carnival:  $16 - $18

HAL:  $17 - $19

MSC (Caribbean):  $16 - $20

RCI (as of Nov. 1):  $18.50 - $21

Celebrity:  $18 - $23

Cunard: USD 16-18

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes they will be going up by 50 Cents per person per day starting November 1.   Notices are starting to go out to cruises in November.

CelebrityNewTipamount.jpg.da97ecff66f46240b56db4858073a273.jpg

We haven’t gotten any email about the increase for  our November cruise yet 

Is it better to to prepay the tips or let the hard working have the extra money , 🤔

So for our upcoming12 night TA , it will be $12 for our cabin, that equals one cheap rum and coke , we will let the crew have the money 😉😁

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, HBDave said:

I remember the days when it was $7.00pp per day. They split it; $3.00 for the waiter, $1.50 for the assistant waiter and $3.00 for the room Stewert. I've always wondered. since they now collect $18pp per day, does all of the tip money really trickle down to the staff. 

No secret the split is published and you can pick up a copy at GR on every ship. The current split is shown below.

Housekeeping = Stateroom Attendant

Suite Services = the Butler

Other Hotel services = laundry staff, restroom attendants and cleaners

CelebrityGrats-2023.thumb.jpg.53b166a94b4ea339b90a6378fb063bdc.jpg

Other hotel services includes the laundry staff,  rest room attendants and cleaners

The Suite Services is the Butler.

Other 

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

We haven’t gotten any email about the increase for  our November cruise yet 

Is it better to to prepay the tips or let the hard working have the extra money , 🤔

So for our upcoming12 night TA , it will be $12 for our cabin, that equals one cheap rum and coke , we will let the crew have the money 😉😁

you must have booked a long time ago to get $12 = minimum currently $18

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Caipi said:

The 12 USD is the difference between the old and the new amounts. 

The current lowest Celebrity amount is $18.  The new lowest RCI amount effective Nov. 1 is $18.50.  Either one less the $12 difference you suggest would be $6 - $6.50.  To when are you referring that it was that low as the old amount?  Certainly not in any recent decade(s).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

8 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The current lowest Celebrity amount is $18.  The new lowest RCI amount effective Nov. 1 is $18.50.  Either one less the $12 difference you suggest would be $6 - $6.50.  To when are you referring that it was that low as the old amount?  Certainly not in any recent decade(s).

I'm away end October so will pay gratuities before I go. Couple weeks ago had to call for shore excursions and in error they added gratuities to my account then sent updated invoice to pay balance immediately or cruise would be canceled. They are pretty consistent at making errors.