Once Loyal to Royal, returning after a long hiatus -- what has changed since 2021?

Coming back to my first RCL cruise since 2021...going on RCL Odyssey of the Seas this Dec out of NYC...is it like riding a bike?  Once I'm on, it will be like second nature...

Any major changes?

Has the MDR quality gone down -- should I do the dining package?

Been spoiled with MSC YC, so not sure what to expect...

Any input would be appreciated.

I think I'll be ok...I'm concerned about my DW.

I'm looking forward to the entertainment...MSC, after the first two cruises, I never went back to the main theatre.  

Food options.... Looking forward to sorrento's pizza.

My friends who did a a week on YC then a week in Adventure of the seas actually liked the MDR, so maybe it won't be as bad.

I like the openness of RCL cruise ship vs the compartmentalization of MSC (also NCL).

5 minutes ago, xcell said:

Thanks for everyone's responses...

In the MDR are you limited to the number of appetizers, main entree and desert?

Can you use your diamond coupons anywhere and anytime?

Yes diamond coupons are anywhere anytime except the robot drink maker. Pesky parrot too has some robotic thing it's not good at. Have to use a real bar tender. 

One lobster free, but you can order a steak or something else free. I order 2 appetizers, dont think I've ordered more but I guess you can. 

On 10/19/2024 at 11:43 PM, xcell said:

I think I'll be ok...I'm concerned about my DW.

I'm looking forward to the entertainment...MSC, after the first two cruises, I never went back to the main theatre.  

Food options.... Looking forward to sorrento's pizza.

My friends who did a a week on YC then a week in Adventure of the seas actually liked the MDR, so maybe it won't be as bad.

I like the openness of RCL cruise ship vs the compartmentalization of MSC (also NCL).

I am surprised that you find the pizza better on Royal than MSC. We would take the pizza on MSC, especially YC because you can get freshly made one delivered to your room. I think the MSC marketplace buffet pizza is superior to Sorrentos. Although I will have to admit Sorretos is better than pre covid and to each their own.

I will agree that the entertainment on MSC is not as good as Royal. MSC is getting better than in 2018 but still not as good as what Royal offers.

Edited by frank808

We have found the major change is the price.  Getting so expensive.   We love suites and they have gotten so expensive.  Trying to sail on Celebrity E and S class ships more as we find the fare more cost effective.  We do enjoy speciality restaurants for variety and typically take a package, but the food IMO in coastal kitchen very good..

If you’re looking forward to Sorrento’s Pizza, you’re not setting that bar too high and you won’t be disappointed with the food.  🙂 Food isn’t different from 2021.  Unless you’re suite, room attendants only come once per day.  Less staff on ship.  Daily gratuities have gone up.  Complaints have gone up. 

• Haha 2

I'm totally not a foodie so as long as I am fed, I am happy..

As per the pizza, it has been awhile since being on RCL, so I guess I can use this cruise to compare pizza-to-pizza but MSC does have agood pizza.  I like the one in the buffet (when it just comes out of the oven) than delivery.

I miss the spaciousness of RCL ship vs the compartmentalization of MSC (and NCL).

My memory feels like RCL has more things to do, better snack options throughout the ship. I'm looking forward to a dinner at the Solarium but curious if the MDR has gone downhill that I should go to more specialty restaurants?

I will miss the quietness, seclusion of the YC, unlimited drink package but this was a last mintue cruise and its cost was a third of what a YC balcony (half of an inside) would be so I think I will be just happy with being on a vacation (hopefully, I didn't jinx myself).

As other posters have already stated, occupancy is averaging 104%. When the ships are not absolutely full, many more "Kids Sail Free" packages being offered with many rooms having more than two passengers.

The only problem I see with taking the Odyssey in December out of Bayonne is the lack of a covered family pool for cold weather sailings. There will be a high probability that "family pool hours" will be offered in the Solarium during the beginning and end of any cruise heading for the Bahamas.

This could make the solarium less "tranquil" if you spend your cold days there.

I have noticed that the Odyssey has two meal times for MDR during its current voyage. (6pm and 8:30pm).  My Time Dining starts at 7:30pm.

Windjammer dinner times are 6pm to 9:30pm compared to a 6pm to 9pm on many cruises.

Brunches and lunches on sea are hit or miss. I was used to an automatic lunch or brunch in the MDR on sea days which is not always the case.

El Loco Fresh has very limited hours compared to the Oasis and larger ships: 12:30pm to 6pm.

On Oasis class, it is open for Breakfast 8am-10am and Snacks from 12:pm to 5:45pm.

Room services is once a day.

Automatic gratuities are way up from 2021.

Service is still very good with MDR food being hit or miss for me. Some meals are very good and others are just average. I have been able to eat my way around any obstacle.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

The only problem I see with taking the Odyssey in December out of Bayonne is the lack of a covered family pool for cold weather sailings. There will be a high probability that "family pool hours" will be offered in the Solarium during the beginning and end of any cruise heading for the Bahamas.

Have they taken the covered pool away on this ship?  it was one of the things I liked on Anthem that they had a covered family pool as well as the enclosed solarium.  I guess things get changed as new ships are built.

27 minutes ago, welshrich said:

The ship was designed for use in warm weather climates and never had a cover since day one on one of the two family pools.

I also would prefer the Anthem in the December out of Bayonne for the reason you mentioned. (I have sailed on the Anthem out of Bayonne both in the Fall and Spring. The family pool was heavily used on the first and last sea days of the trip. It was used at other times but was not as crowded once the weather was warm enough to comfortably use the second outdoor family pool.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2024 at 11:57 PM, neverbeenhere said:

Yacht Class vs Everyday Royal. This isn’t going to go well for you.  If you are not in a suite on Royal, you will need a dining package.  Good Luck. 

Yep. People put down MSC but the YC is one of the best experiences on any major line.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2024 at 5:43 AM, xcell said:

Adventure of the seas actually liked the MDR, so maybe it won't be as bad.

The MDR offerings are actually quite good on Adventure, but since we always sail in a GS, we have our MDR selections delivered to our stateroom so we can enjoy them on our balcony. We haven't been in the MDR for any meals in more than a year - we always found the service to be quite slow and inconsistent - even though the food was generally quite good. We just don't enjoy taking 1-2 hours to eat a meal.

As for the specialty restaurants on Adventure, there are only three, and we do Izumi at least 1-2 times a week, occasionally dine in Giovanni's, and have been disappointed too many times by the food quality in Chops to recommend that one to anyone.

Edited by orville99

3 hours ago, cincicruisers said:

I am also coming back to RC after years sailing NCL.  I am a diamond member on RC.  We are sailing on the Jewel in April.  I am concerned about the my time dining,  It seems like there are lots of complaints about it.  We reserved 6:45 for dining time.

I was on the Jewel last November for nine nights. I choose second seat dining which was at 8pm. The doors would open at about 7:55 and we were seated by 8pm. No waiting if you timed it right. We would be in the Schooner bar until 7:45pm, walk down the stairs, and be in line by 7:50.

My Time had a few complaints because people would make reservations and still not be seated until about 15 minutes after their reservation time even if they arrived 15 minutes before their reservation time. There was only one line so you might be waiting with people who did not have specific reservation times which delayed those that did have reservations. That was on a good night.

In most cases, My Time was not available until after 7:15 if you did not reserve everything on the first night.

Sounds like you are on top of everything since your have your reservation times before you board.

I would visit the MDR during the afternoon of boarding and ask the desk if you have an assigned table for your My Time reservation that you can bypass the front desk. From what I have seen, you need to go to the reservation desk to be assigned your seats which is the weak point in the system.

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I was on the Jewel last November for nine nights. I choose second seat dining which was at 8pm. The doors would open at about 7:55 and we were seated by 8pm. No waiting if you timed it right. We would be in the Schooner bar until 7:45pm, walk down the stairs, and be in line by 7:50.

My Time had a few complaints because people would make reservations and still not be seated until about 15 minutes after their reservation time even if they arrived 15 minutes before their reservation time. There was only one line so you might be waiting with people who did not have specific reservation times which delayed those that did have reservations. That was on a good night.

In most cases, My Time was not available until after 7:15 if you did not reserve everything on the first night.

Sounds like you are on top of everything since your have your reservation times before you board.

I would visit the MDR during the afternoon of boarding and ask the desk if you have an assigned table for your My Time reservation that you can bypass the front desk. From what I have seen, you need to go to the reservation desk to be assigned your seats which is the weak point in the system.

Thanks for the heads up.  I will stop by the MDR after boarding.

15 hours ago, xcell said:

I'm looking forward to a dinner at the Solarium but curious if the MDR has gone downhill that I should go to more specialty restaurants?

I’ve found the food in the MDR to be quite delicious and adequate for my needs during my past couple of cruises. I do not eat in the specialty restaurants as I feel that the food in the MDR and the Windjammer are more than sufficient for me.

One issue that have had in the MDR is that sometimes the food can be a bit blander than I prefer (especially the steaks on the Serenade of the Seas), but that’s usually a hit-or-miss. 

Overall, I’ve found the food to be pretty tasty.