? For Recent Cruisers.

We used to cruise Regent (Radissson) very frequently. But we have not cruised for the last 2 1/2 years for personal reasons unrelated to Regent. I've heard some stories from people who claim to be recent Regent cruisers, and these stories disturb me. One such story involves a one hour wait to be seated fro dinner at the main dining room on one of Regent's larger ships. Another story involves spotty room stewardess service. Still another involves spotty to non-existent room service.

Somebody, please tell me it isn't so?

We cruised Voyager in Nov, Monte Carlo to Funchal and then to Ft. Lauderdale, did not have one problem with dining in any of the restaurants and our room stewardess was fantastic. Ship was in great shape, and we had a perfect trip.

We were on her in December, and everything was great. Sometimes the dining room was a bit busy, and the waiters were a bit rushed at those times. But really only once or twice. We had no trouble being seated at all, wherever we dined, and in general the service was great. Our room stewardess was sweet and efficient, however overworked. No room service stories, sorry.

Richard, hubbie and I just got off the Mariner on March 14th. Our room stewardess was the best we've had yet on any Regent ship. She looked after us well and we had only praise for her. Only one problem we ever encountered with room service was their failing to come and pick up our tray of dirty dishes after we called them. After a 4 hour wait we saw our room stewardess in the hallway, mentioned it to her and she immediately came and she took it away for us. Only dining problem we encountered was in the Compass Rose on the evening of embarkation. Our waiter was clearly annoyed with me that I was not ready within minutes of seating us to place my order and when I told him I would like a drink order first and have time to look over the menu. Nothing to ruin my cruise and nothing that you might not encounter in a land based hotel some where at any time so it was no big deal as service and attitude was wonderful for subsequent nights. I chocked it up to the first day and how crew is so stretched and over worked on that day in particular.

Pat

Richard, I've just spent January and February on Mariner, got off on March 4th and I did not experience or hear about anything like you have described in that 2 months. Debbie

We were on Voyager for the sixteen day grand crossing last November. Service in CR was mostly superb. The overall food experience great--highest quality I've experienced on Regent. We didn't use room service once. But we almost never do. Our cabin attendant was wonderful and the cabin was in near perfect condition. Since 2003 it is our experience that with the exception of the Paul Gauguin the standards on the Regent ships have improved overall from great to better than that. All inclusive is, to us, a huge plus. We like Regent so much we don't want anything to change. Can I point out a flaw here and there? Of course. But that would be true of any cruise ship. Patrick

We were on Mariner in March and found that service was improved over our last cruise on Mariner in April, 2007. We never had a wait to be seated in the dining room and our waiter was absolutely wonderful. We had Florin the first night and his service was so good that we requested him every other night that we dined in Compass Rose.

We did find service perfunctory in Lattitudes. There was a table of Regent executives dining there the same night, and the waitresses were extremely attentive to them, so much so that we were rather neglected. I understand their desire to impress them, but it made for a less than satisfactory dining experience.

Our experience in Signatures was different each time. The first night we dined there, the waiter was pleasant though harried. The second time, we had a different waiter and the service was very good.

Our stewardess was pleasant and extremely efficient in getting our cabin made up as soon as we left the room.

In general we felt that the staff had undergone a change for the better since our first Regent cruise. Staff now greets you without being addressed first. We saw more smiles on the part of the staff and they seem generally happier. Our only real complaint about service is the Lido wait staff. It was very hard to get the attention of a waiter at the pool and service was not very gracious. Perhaps they are understaffed up there.

Ricki

We were on the Callao/BA segment of the South American cruise in Jan and early Feb. We never, ever had to wait at the Compass Rose for a table. We didn't see anyone else waiting either - and this includes the three formal nights when there were cocktail parties in the Constellation Theatre and lots of people left at the same time. We were on Voayger in Nov 06 and did not see any queues there either. So I don't know where these stories are coming from.

As for service in the suite - impeccable and the room was usually cleaned by the time we got back from breakfast! We had room service a couple of times and it was great, and came in 20 minutes. I don't think you can do better than this.

I might also add that while we have had to queue often at the pool grill buffet lunches, somehow on the S American cruise the staff got everyone served without lines forming. How I am not sure, except the various buffet stations were spread out in a way I have not seen before.

Richard:

Jan and I did the Mariner 19 day Auckland to LAX in December.

Everything was positive and normal wonderful service for us.

Cabin was always clean and neat, never had to wait.

Ship was in excellent condition.

Richard

On the Navigator crossing there were minor problems which were posted earlier. My sense was that the staff was exhausted from a heavily booked summer season and a shortage of staff. But there were no problems that really bothered me. After several years of a partially full ship, it will definitely take some effort to adjust to a season of fully booked cruises. My stewardess was pleasant and eager to please. True, sometimes the waiters were too quick to arrive to take orders, but when told to give us more time, they waited until we signalled that we were ready. Room service was timely, and even accommodated a special request when I wasn't feeling well one night.

I don't think it's realistic to think that every, or even any, cruise will be perfect. Overall, I think the Navigator has improved over the past couple of years. Hopefully, they'll keep up the trend.

JoAnne B

Houston

There are some somewhat regular posters, who have not commented here, that had some hiccups. My last experience on the larger ships was in 2007, so it is not as up to date.

Overall it seems that Regent has greatly improved over the past year or so. I do not think there will ever be a cruise where things are perfect, but an occassional hiccup is far superior to consistent problems or issues.

First let me say that this is not MY experience, but I did get a first-hand report of a recent Panama Canal cruise that was significantly less than optimal. And this is from a couple who are die-hard Regent fans, with many Regent cruises under their belt. They may come in here and comment themselves, but the report they gave me was that the ship not only was crowded, but FELT crowded - routinely long lines at the lunch buffet (one was literally an hour, for a sub-quality Mexican buffet), with nowhere to sit because half of the Veranda restaurant was closed; one night they couldn't even get into Compass Rose at all because it was too crowded. Dinner orders routinely botched, courses left out, someone else's orders given to them multiple times. Waiters seeming irritated and impatient. Chair hogs at the pool, to the point where they almost got into a fight with someone! Until they complained, and then "no chair hog" signs were put out. They would go on a port excursion for a day, and come back to an untouched room; and when it was cleaned, shampoo/conditioner were not replenished unless they asked.

They also had problems with the tour desk - the tour liaison person completely dropped the ball on a private tour they'd arranged through him, and did not seem interested in resolving the problem. The lectures were "crappy" (their word), and there were no decent computer classes (something they normally enjoy).

In Regent's defense (if you can call it that), they said they felt that part of the problem was that they were gearing up for the World Cruise, and there were already 80 WC passengers on board, many of whom expected/felt entitled to special treatment. For the last two days before the WC, many passengers disembarked early and many services were shut down as the ship did things like put out special furniture for the pool, etc.

I do realize that every cruise line can have an "off" cruise, and perhaps this was one of them. But unfortunately, they had a similar experience with the Regent cruise (not sure what ship) just prior to this.

This is a very laid-back, NOT picky couple, with whom I've cruised before on Voyager and they (and we) thoroughly enjoyed every wonderful thing that ship has to offer. I recall them saying they also consider the PG to be among the highlights of their vacationing lives. And while they don't seem upset about these service lapses, and they certainly didn't spoil their cruise (they had a GREAT time), their attitude is that they are in no hurry to cruise Regent again for a while, especially at the higher prices they are charging now.

I have to be honest and admit that their report did impact my choice to go on Silversea for my upcoming Middle East cruise. If I'm going to pay top dollar, I don't want to feel like I'm getting a similar experience that I would on one of the "premium" cruise lines that I could do for thousands less. Even Silversea is thousands less. I would still seriously consider going on Regent, even though they are charging approx. $1800 more pp than Silversea for a similar itinerary, because I prefer the benefits of a larger ship and Regent's entertainment. But I ruled them out mostly because of these recent reports. It's entirely possible I wouldn't have experienced any of that myself...but at these prices, I didn't want to take that chance.

I'm only posting this because I mentioned this in a Silversea thread, and I'm sure this is at least one of the reports Richard is referring to. A couple things I think are important to note is that this is one couple's experience, and while I know them and 100% trust their report, to all of you this is a second hand report. (And please don't shoot the messenger! :)) Also, I think they are probably right that this cruise was impacted by it coming right before the WC (although that doesn't excuse the lapses - their fare wasn't any less).

I any case, I'm very glad to hear of recent cruisers who've had great experiences - that gives me hope!

I'm not questioning the second hand reports of the last poster. . . . I am curious, however, when this cruise took place. The Mariner is scheduled to do the Panama Canal April 30th for the first time in 2008. I haven't seen the winter 2007 Mariner schedule. Was this cruise late in 2007?

Several times on our March 04/08 Mariner cruise we came out on the pool deck to see every single chair covered with a towel signaling...."already taken" The first time this happened I was a little dismayed at all of the pool chair hogs that placed their towels and then left. Well, I need not have worried as within 2 minutes of arriving, the pool attendants were making their rounds picking up all the towels on those unattended chairs and continued to do so throughout the cruise. I was astonished at how often and quickly they swooped down and did this but was also very glad that they did. Also, several times during the cruise it was mentioned in the daily newsletter that is delivered to your cabin each night "anyone that leaves their chair unoccupied on the pool deck for more then 30 minutes will have their belongings removed and stored at the pool bar". The pool crew will also gladly get a chair for you too from the stacked ones if there are no empty ones available. They really were on top of the pool chair hog thing more so then I've ever seen before. Kudos to them! We really appreciated their effort.

Pat

I am glad to read that at least in the Mariner they are taking action against the chair hogs. Unfortunately, in my last Regent cruise on the Voyager TA in November, people blatantly did this during sea days. Of course, they would hog the chairs in the shade. These chairs with their personal belongings sometimes went hours w/o anybody actually sitting on them. Frankly, I was tempted to dump their things on the floor and take the chair .

I am glad to read that at least in the Mariner they are taking action against the chair hogs. Unfortunately, in my last Regent cruise on the Voyager TA in November, people blatantly did this during sea days. Of course, they would hog the chairs in the shade. These chairs with their personal belongings sometimes went hours w/o anybody actually sitting on them. Frankly, I was tempted to dump their things on the floor and take the chair .

Just a tip for anyone that encounters the pool chair hogs,

I understand the hesitancy in wanting to dump someone's belonging on the floor and taking said unused chair as it could lead to a nasty confrontation if the people returned. However, if you don't feel comfortable mentioning the chair hogs to the pool crew then you can certainly ask to have something done about it by placing your comments on the early comment card that is delivered to your cabin within the first couple of days ( the one that asks is there anything we can do to make your cruise more enjoyable) and give it back to reception immediately. My guess is that will get things moving on the pool deck real quickly.

Pat

Hello Richard !!

Hannah and I cruised the Amazon in Jan. last year. Everything was up to standard. The open bar was in effect and left us with half full bottles of Macallums and Grey Goose in the suite !!

My only complaint was the itinerary. I had looked forward to visiting Devil's Island having become fascinated with the stories from my schooldays in Jolly Old. It was cancelled due to the slower speed of mariner. We only had a half day in Manaus due to the above reason.

Everything else was as we both experienced with Regent. (The Canal cruise posing for the webcam at 5.30 A.M.)

We leave April 30th. on Voyager, for our first transatlantic crossing. No doubt I will devise a plan of what to do in 4 days at sea !!!

Hope that you and wifey are well.

Neville.

Just a tip for anyone that encounters the pool chair hogs,

I understand the hesitancy in wanting to dump someone's belonging on the floor and taking said unused chair as it could lead to a nasty confrontation if the people returned. However, if you don't feel comfortable mentioning the chair hogs to the pool crew then you can certainly ask to have something done about it by placing your comments on the early comment card that is delivered to your cabin within the first couple of days ( the one that asks is there anything we can do to make your cruise more enjoyable) and give it back to reception immediately. My guess is that will get things moving on the pool deck real quickly.

Pat

Canadagal,

I have never gotten this early comment card. But regardless, I should have complained to somebody. I can tell you that nobody from the staff was doing anything. The behavior of these passengers shows that people might have enough money to cruise on a luxury line but that doesn't mean necessarily that they have class.

Actually, I did not ask my initial question accurately. It was not sufficiently specific, and I appologize for that.

What I really meant to ask is whether there have been any signs of reduction in service, amenities, and general qualities since the sale of Regent by the Carlson Companies. I had heard a few "snippets" of information (second and third hand, and therefore not always reliable) that there had been some "lapses" since the sale. That sale took place only a few weeks ago, I think, so what I was (and am) asking concerns experiences on very, very recent cruises.

Archived