Sea legs and high heels

Karysa

I just bought a pair of 4 inch high heeled shoes which are unlike anything I have worn in about 25 years or more. The shoes are comfortable but I am having a hard time walking in them here in my house. Is it just something that I will get used to in time? Any suggestions on how to walk in high heels on a moving ship would be much appreciated.

Karysa

Depends on what you call high. Personally, I don't wear anything higher than 2" after once spraining an ankle on a cruise which really put a crimp into many plans such as excursions, dancing, etc. So now I opt for dance shoes with 1 1/2" heels (and I'm 5'8" anyway). So what if they don't look cool to somebody...:D

I've never had a problem in 4" heels on a ship, but I wear heels all the time and dance in them, so I guess it's what you're used to. It's good that you're trying to acclimate to them at home first, but you may want to bring an alternate selection just in case!:)

IF the ship is rocking, it can be difficult to walk in ANY heels of any size!!! As long as they're comfortable and you can walk long distances in them (remember, the hallways are really long, so you will be doing more walking in them than you would at home, going from a car to a restaurant...) you should be fine. Practice, if you have to!

Wearing 4 and 5" heels on a ship is not a problem if you are comfortable in them. Practice on carpet and on shiny floors at home, make sure that they don't rub or blister your feet and if they do, treat the areas that are hurt as you would any blistered area. Wearing them in at home will stretch them out and by the time you cruise, they will fit perfectly.

However, if you are flying to your cruise stay in flatties for the first couple days/evenings as your ankles could be puffy and that will make the heels hurt a little, rubbing and make your ankles ache from being so high and puffy.

Once you have worn the shoes in and you are happy with the way they fit and feel, just walk with confidence in them, try not to be self conscious of them...ie make sure you stand straight, not have your backside do a duck impression. Once you are confident and comfortable in heels, you'll be wearing them in the evenings and you won't think about them as heels but just as every day shoes.

A tip to stop the ball burn, get some cool pads, Scholl make them....excellent pads that fit in the shoe or sandal under the ball of your foot, they are gel and keep the feet cool so no more burning from the balls of your feet when walking or dancing.

Karysa,

If you are going to wear them on formal night, you will probably be ok. 25 years without wearing that kind of shoe? I'd have a back up shoe. You may have issues with your feet after flying or not feel up to just worrying about walking. Do yourself a big favor and bring a second dress shoe that is comfortable. If you are going to walk the length of the ship, you will need good comfortable shoes. Be especially careful going into the theater and the stairs from floor to floor. Better safe than sorry.

I've only been on one cruise, yet I'm hesitant to wear heels again on a ship. On my cruise, the ship was a large Royal Caribbean boat but it still rocked and rolled through the evening hours. The first night, I wore heels and I HAD to balance myself on handrailings and walls to keep from stumbling... This is coming from an avid heel wearer! I can run in heels but can't keep upright on a cruise ship? Yeah, I was a little embarassed to be so unsteady, a little scared of twisting my ankle, and VERY happy that I had remembered to throw some black, shiny flats in my luggage to wear at night for the rest of the cruise! My advice - bring your heels, but maybe some nice flatter shoes just in case!

It's been about that long since I wore heels that high, too, and I wouldn't dream of trying to keep upright on a moving ship. I'd hate to miss all of the ports and activities because I've injured myself. I hope you bring a nice pair of lower heels in case the heels don't work out. I loved my heels, but those days are gone.

I have never tried 4 inch heels at sea and not on land since I was about 22(I'm 49 now). I wear 2-2.5 inch on cruises and have no problem at all walking but wouldn't consider 4 inch for several reasons. OUCH is the biggest.

4" high heels on a rocking ship after not having worn them for 25 yrs? The only way I could think of is holding them in your hot little hands while you walk down the hallways and put them on before you turn the corner to the dining room. Even with DH's guiding arm, I know I couldn't do it - good luck to you!

Smooth Sailing! (and this time I mean it!) :):):)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and giggles. I do have a DH who has offered to hold on to me tightly when needed:D. I will most definitely bring other shoes. The sprained ankle thing really made me think though. It certainly would not be worth that. I think if I bring them I will keep them and where them on the last 2 nights on the cruise because if I sprain my ankle I might be able to get to go on the first tender to GSC and I could get my daughters to carry my luggage off of the ship for me! I would just hate to sprain my ankle on the first formal night and miss my excursions!

I will keep practicing and consider all the advice I got from all of you.

Karysa

One word for you...CROCS!

I have the black and white wedges and a pair of the "high heeled" strappies. They are light weight and great for traveling. Oh, and I have a pair of the regular "ugly" ones that I use when I am spending the day on my ceramic and hardwood floors cleaning the house.

Karysa

I'm with all the other people who suggested bringing an alternate pair. Practice walking in them at home, and take into account the food on the ship might make your feet swell.

I found the hottest pair of 4&1/2 inch heels, I loved them. But I could only take mincing little steps in them - and sadly returned them to Zappos. The shoes were gorgeous but what good is that if I walk like I'm 90 years old.

I have the black and white wedges

Do you like the black & white wedges? I've been thinking about getting a pair, but wondered if they were clunky and cumbersome, or if they were lighter than they look. I don't want to go thumping around like the bride of Frankenstein or anything like that!

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I'm with all the other people who suggested bringing an alternate pair. Practice walking in them at home, and take into account the food on the ship might make your feet swell.

I found the hottest pair of 4&1/2 inch heels, I loved them. But I could only take mincing little steps in them - and sadly returned them to Zappos. The shoes were gorgeous but what good is that if I walk like I'm 90 years old.

Agreed! I recently bought two new formal pairs (one silver, one black). I don't wear heels much in daily life and if I do they're not little tiny stiletto types. The black heels are 2.75", I believe, and the silver are like 1.5" or so. They may not make me look tall and gazelle like (I'm average height to begin with) but I can walk in them, dance in them, and not worry about toppling over! I would rather be the lady in the kitten heels who is strolling around and cutting a rug than the one in the tall gorgeous shoes sitting in a chair... kudos to those of you who can do the 3, 4, 5" heels but I just don't look graceful or feel comfortable.

Do you like the black & white wedges? I've been thinking about getting a pair, but wondered if they were clunky and cumbersome, or if they were lighter than they look. I don't want to go thumping around like the bride of Frankenstein or anything like that!

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

They are comfortable and very light and perfect to go from the beach to out for a casual dinner.

Karysa

• 4 years later...
i've only been on one cruise, yet i'm hesitant to wear heels again on a ship. On my cruise, the ship was a large royal caribbean boat but it still rocked and rolled through the evening hours. The first night, i wore heels and i had to balance myself on handrailings and walls to keep from stumbling... This is coming from an avid heel wearer! I can run in heels but can't keep upright on a cruise ship? Yeah, i was a little embarassed to be so unsteady, a little scared of twisting my ankle, and very happy that i had remembered to throw some black, shiny flats in my luggage to wear at night for the rest of the cruise! My advice - bring your heels, but maybe some nice flatter shoes just in case!

this!!!

You stand and walk quite a bit on a cruise ship, so I would be inclined to "train" for the event by bringing them to something like a carpetted mall where you can get some distance. I haven't had a problem walking in heels due to swells...once with 14' waves I did look like a drunken sailor, but I would have looked just the same in flats. It didn't affect my ankles, just the direction I was walking. (zig zag instead of straight) In fact, strangely, the only time I've turned my ankles I was wearing short sturdy heels! :eek:

Do yourself a big favor and if the ship has any noticeable movement, do not wear the heels.

I have started out down the gangway outside my cabin and returned to put on flats because of the movement.

I had on maître d' on a HAL formal night comment how nice it was to see a woman with sensible shoes on instead of heels. It was a night the ship was noticeably pitching and yawling.

There's nothing wrong with bringing up the subject again but, did anyone noticed the question is from 4 years ago.:D How do people find a thread that is so old when the search function is so wonky? There are times when I can't find one from a couple of weeks ago.:o

There's nothing wrong with bringing up the subject again but, did anyone noticed the question is from 4 years ago.:D How do people find a thread that is so old when the search function is so wonky? There are times when I can't find one from a couple of weeks ago.:o

Once in a while someone will pull out a three or four years old thread; who knew why? It is strange to me though:rolleyes:.

Archived