Odyssey Questions, Musings, and Trip Reports

JaneBP

I think Cramer4 illustrates the issue observed on board the ship very well.

His: the views of a first-timer American who brought his family of six -- and maybe a little defensive

Some others: the views of many-timer Europeans displeased that he did so -- and maybe a little offensive

It is an interesting brand and culture issue.

Peace and love.

I received word from a Seabourn executive that I trust. I will post the executives insights on some of the issues that were brought up. This will be later today, when I have time.

Host Dan

You are obviously very well spoken. I think that you did quite a job of describing the "sights"..cracked me up. It reminds me of our last cruise on the Seagoddess when she went "casual". It was astounding the way the word was defined in apparel. One fellow came to the lovely cocktail hour with its beautiful appetizer set up...dressed in cutoffs and flip flops...and proceeded to eat caviar out of a spoon from the container. Muscle shirts were very much the thing. There were several such incidents..thus..we never sailed her again. I agree that Seabourn should pay heed. Lola

Unfortunately, we have canceled our November trip on the Odyssey due to the feedback from this board and reports from our TA. We were really looking forward to trying the new ship. We will wait until all the kinks are out and then book.

We will stay with Crystal for the time being. I am sure that Seabourn will be on top of the issues that were commented on.

I'd like to share Seabourn's position on some of the observstions themed4me brought up-

Re: understaffed. Seabourn Odyssey is normally staffed by 335 crew. That is 1 to 1.3 ratio to guests.

The sisters are staffed by 164 crew to 208 guests, ratio of 1 to 1.26.

Granted that there are quite a number of positions that are not increased ( Captain, Hotel manager, Maitre d'Hotel, Chief engineer, etc etc. ) the hospitality staff-to-guest ratio may actually be higher on Odyssey. I cannot comment on whether there was a drop in crew numbers based on emergencies--crew members do sometimes get sick or need to go home on family emergencies or quit, etc. But that would probably be a small number.

Re: Untrained or virgin to Seabourn. No crew member serves on Odyssey without first having served at least one contract on the sisters. And that is after training. That system is set up specifically to avoid problems. There are now trainees on board Odyssey, but they are in their "shadowing" period as discussed previously on another thread and (I thought) pretty well agreed that in general they were an asset not a liability.

Re: Reservations system for alternative dining. This is admittedly a ticklish challenge and the people who are ( Again, in my opinion) the smartest in the industry are working hard on it.

Re: Shore excursions and the destination services manager. She is our most experienced and expert. Her comment that guests only want survey tours is based on the fact that our staff create fabulous, once-in-a-lifetime experiences in most every port of call and they are mostly canceled for lack of participation. We also offer free service to research and create custom arrangements ashore. I suspect her answer was a candid description of the facts on that cruise. It must be said that the fares currently available do quite naturally attract guests with a different outlook on spending. Then too, you need to think that a couple with kids may be traveling with a different aim than a couple without. Like everything else, that varies from cruise to cruise, as you know the chemistry is different each time depending on the "ingredients."

Re: Children, as noted, we cannot really say no to this, and like the other chemistry, it can be either OK or trying, depending partly on the children and partly on the eye of the beholder, to be frank.

The ratings on Odyssey continue to be equal or higher than the sisters, and a lot of very experienced Seabourn Club members are in love with her (which is easy, 'cause she's gorgeous!)

As for "being forced to eat in The Restaurant"...I am speechless.

I have to agree with alot of what Seabourn has said. Having 200 days onboard, I have hsd perfect cruises and not-so-perfect cruises. Most of the time it has to do with the other passenger mix onboard. For the most part the mix has always been wonderful. In the end, we are all human and sometimes things don't go as expected. I'd take a mediocre cruise on Seabourn over a good cruise on a mass market ship any day of the week.

I'd like to thank Seabourn for chiming in on this. I'd love to see this thread go back to the exciting, fresh thread it was...but thats just me.

Host Dan

Well I think there is only one answer to all this....Granny NEEDS to sail on Odyssey and write a day by day report!! :D *off to check my lottery ticket*....we are actually "considering"...well hubby is "considering"...I am more positive......that we will wait till the Odyssey does the South American cruises, before we try her.....I want another nice looooooooooong cruise!!

Host Dan - Thanks for the effort with Seabourn. I think most people would be happy with most of what they said, BUT I still feel, and I think others will, that the company will need to do something about numbers of children on board ,e.g. like some other lines making some of the ships adults only. And the question of loads of childen in the Club was not dealt with.

Thank you Dan for getting Seabourn's comments.

Thery still need to think about the impact on the size of Odyssey and the other 2 and the potential for greater numbers of children on board and its' impact on others.

Just wanted to join the Rollcall for October Seabourn Odyssey Istanbul to Fort Lauderdale.

Four of us from Sydney, can't wait to meet up with all of you on board.

Allan and Sandy and David and Barbara. We have cruised Seabourn many times and love it so much.

There's a roll call for the Odyssey Maiden Oct. 31st Transatlantic Crossing. Scroll down and add your names ~~

I compiled a list of Sailor's embarking Istanbul ~ 14 plus you 4. Sailor's embarking Malaga ~ 35

Welcome to the roll call:D

Martita B.

Hi All,

We are thinking of sailing on the Odyssey for 14 days for the Caribbean Holiday sailing and I had two questions (not that the answers would make or break us booking, but just out of curiosity).

1. Does anyone have any pictures of the gym? I've scoured the internet and boards but cant seem to find any. I used the gym on the Spirit but I recall it being rather small with low ceilings, but it definitely still allowed me to get a workout! Just curious as to what the Odyssey gym looks like and is equipped with.

2. On this thread some people have been discussing problems getting reservations in the different restaurants at night if they don't want to eat in "The Restaurant". a) On the Odyssey when we arrive can we ask someone like the concierge for a list of all the dinner themes that will take place in the restaurant for those 2 weeks? Do they know in advance? and b) about the 48 hour reservation policy--so let's say it's Monday at 5pm and I want to make a reservation for dinner at Restaurant 2 at 7:30pm on Wednesday. Do I need to wait until 7:30pm on Monday to make that reservation? Also, will we be able to find out all of the formal nights in advance in case we want to book to be in the other restaurants that night?

3. Just to be clear about the dinner options on the Odyssey, are there four restaurant options? The Restaurant, Restaurant 2, The Colonnade and The Patio Grill? Do all of the menus change everyday, or just the Restaurant and Restaurant 2? Also, do all of them need reservations 48 hrs in advance, or just the Restaurant and Restaurant 2?

Thanks so much for your help and insight! I hope my wording wasn't too confusing! I'm just confused about all of the new options on the Odyssey! :-)

We are currently on the Odyssey. It is a beautiful ship. Yes, there are 4 dining options. The menu cycle is for 7 days. Once you figure out the menus, you can reserve your choice. BUT you must call at 7:30 PM for 48 hours later. If you wait much after that, you don't stand much of a chance. I know it doesn't make sense, but that is how it is done. I have asked the HD how you know where you want to eat when you don't know what is on the menu!! We are here for an extended voyage so we will figure it out eventually. The food in all venues if terrific! Even SB admits to some other growing pains!

Hi Supatraveler,

my husband and I will be on the same cruise as you. We were also curious about the gym as we workout regularly - there is a video on YouTube called SeabournOdyssey posted by fgolden which shows, every so briefly, the gym. It is about 1 minute 10 seconds into the video.

Supatraveler,

Please don't even think about the gym on the triplets when you board the Odyssey. The gym there is large, with high ceilings and equipped with every state of the art piece of machinery available, including a kinesis wall (whatever that is). There are elliptical machines, weights, treadmills etc etc etc.

As for dining options you must indeed make reservations 48 hours in advance at the Colonnade, Restaurant 2 and the Patio Grill. In the first Seabourn Herald whenyou embark there should be a list of themes for the Colonnade. If not, check at Seabourn Square. Restaurant 2 has four menus which they rotate. The Patio Grill has the same menu every night but you get your first courses and salads from the bar before waiters deliver the main courses. Also be sure and order at least one pizza for the table.

The food in all venues is truly wonderful, better than on the triplets imo. You'll have a great time.

It is inconceivable to me that a passenger line making all the efforts to deliver on its stated objectives- quality of service in all respects- should drop the ball on the concept the holds it all together. This concept is maintaining standards in delivering the product to the customer.

I do trust that the senior management of the line gets the drift of this aspect of the thread. I do not accept that things have somehow changed permanently on Seabourn. Rather, I would like to think for the moment that they have simply lapsed due to inattention and lack of direction from senior management on board at at head office.

No one wants to dine in a 5 star restaurant among sneaker wearing hoodies. No one wants to degrade the experience with distractions relating to lack of management attention to details that discerning travelers expect to see in the ship's main restaurant. If I were to see this behavior I would not for a moment hesitate to speak with the Hotel Manager and be very clear about instructing- yes instructing- passengers what the line's standards are for everyone. We would start a process until the buck gets stopped somewhere.

Cunard ships' grill class maitres d'hotel would never allow flip flops and hoodies into the restaurant. The thought is absurd. They seem to use their respect for tradition to retain their standards and perspectives. Why can't Seabourn management do the same thing? A good starting point would be a clear dress code in the daily program and a sign outside each entrance to the dining room. The text would do much of the work for the maitre d'hotel.

We were on the Odyssey on the second voyage after the Maiden Voyage (Black Sea). We had a marvelous time.

In terms of reservations for dinner, we discovered that after making those 48 hour in advance reservations that folks didn't show up. We spoke to the Maitre D and always said we would love a table if possible. Almost always after about 1/2 hour they found a spot for us--turned into our regular cocktail time!

Don't cancel a cruise--the ship is fabulous.

We are still on the Odyssey. I wouldn't cancel a cruise if you are already booked. If you have not booked yet, I suggest waiting a year, we should have! BTW, the breadsticks are nice but you could get the same effect by rolling Ritz crackers mixed with some more butter!

Archived