River cruise cabins and windows?

jkgourmet

We would very much like to take a river cruise in 2018 or 2019 on the Danube. However, the prices are downright scary (we are spoiled by the cheap prices and incentives on mass market ocean cruises.) We nearly always book an inside cabin on ocean cruises, upgrading to ocean view only when we have to get incentives. And we are just fine with inside cabins.

But on river cruises, the lowest cost cabins seem to only have a small window at the top of the outside wall of the room. My thought is that the window lets in light, but it's not suitable for viewing the scenery. And isn't river cruising pretty much all about viewing the scenery?

If the cheap seats with those narrow, high windows don't allow us to see the scenery, then we would have to upgrade to a big window (very few on these river cruises) or a french balcony. Which drives the price up tremendously.

Your experienced opinions are appreciated.

I think you will find that most of the sailing takes place at night, while you sleep. When cruising in the day through a scenic area, you will want to be on the sun deck or in the lounge, where there are huge windows.

Many have come here to say that they pretty much use their rooms for just sleeping. During a big chunk of the day you are off the ship on excursions.

Why would you not be observing the scenery from either on deck or an observation lounge?

Unless it is your intention to not go ashore every day, how much time would you actually be spending in your cabin or on-board ship during daylight hours which, depending on the time of year, may be restricted.

Another factor to consider is the possibility of being moored alongside another boat which in a higher grade cabin would require curtains to be drawn.

Look carefully at the size of the various grade cabins and determine if any gain in floor space justifies the higher fare.

We booked our first river cruise on Viking for June 2018. We initially booked the cheapest cabin with no view. In discussing this cruise with friends and coworkers, every person I spoke to who had taken this cruise said they were glad they booked a balcony. Partly for the ability to sit out on the deck but also because the rooms are bigger. Yes it was a few thousand more but I sucked it up and figured I was already going to be spending $13,000

so what's a few more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"Look carefully at the size of the various grade cabins and determine if any gain in floor space justifies the higher fare."

Be very careful....at times this statement can actually be the exact opposite.....the area of your 'balcony' is subtracted from the square footage of your cabin.

Also the time of year may also determine the amount of use your balcony is going to get. If you travel during the shoulder ( less costly) season, the weather may not be conducive to using the balcony. On the other hand, if you are travelling during the warmer, more expensive, more popular months, there may be more river boats mooring alongside one another so you'll not see anything other than inside the ship next to yours.

We've stayed in top deck with balconies down to bottom deck cabins with just windows. And have enjoyed all of the river cruises. My personal preference is to find the best price so if we can save some money there is some left over to put toward the next cruise.

RB

we book aquarium rooms and have NO regrets. The room is for sleeping. When cruising during the day we're on deck or in the lounge (if cold) where we can see out BOTH sides. The small window is the river cruise equiv' of an inside cabin ....

Also be aware that when docked it is common to be tied up next to another boat so your balc' can be smack up against another!!! This is typically 1/2 of the time in port or more on the Danube IME.... and when in locks, you don't see anything besides some moss covered brick walls . . . and other times you can be so near the river bank that folks walking along the river can see into your room .... close those curtains!

We loved our veranda room on our Rhine Getaway with Viking. The veranda rooms on the Viking Longships have a bit more room than the French balcony rooms - which have sliding doors like a veranda room, but no actual balcony. They also have a chair between the bed and the window.

We felt we used it enough to justify the increased cost. We were rafted - docked with another ship - but it was mostly while we were off on excursions. I even went out on the balcony in the middle of the night while going through a lock. I found it fascinating - I’m strange that way. 🤪

We liked the room so much, we booked the exact same room for our Grand European Tour this fall.

Viking - the only line we have experience with - has a variety of room categories. There’s something for everyone. If your budget doesn’t stretch further than the Aquarium level - fear not! You will still see some lovely sights and have a great time.

Whatever type of room you book, do your research. The only thing a river cruise has in common with a mainstream ocean cruise is a vessel and water [emoji16]. We love both, but it’s a completely different experience.

Happy sailing!

We booked our first river cruise on Viking for June 2018. We initially booked the cheapest cabin with no view. In discussing this cruise with friends and coworkers, every person I spoke to who had taken this cruise said they were glad they booked a balcony. Partly for the ability to sit out on the deck but also because the rooms are bigger. Yes it was a few thousand more but I sucked it up and figured I was already going to be spending $13,000

so what's a few more.

I sailed from Budapest to Nuremberg in 2015 in a lower level cabin (sometimes jokingly referred to as Aquarium Class). We didn't spend much time in the room. If you sit on a balcony, you only see one side of the river. The best views are from the sun deck.

In a lower level cabin, we had the same excursions, the same meals (except for one specialty dining experience). There are some other things we didn't get i.e. meals served in the cabin.

Keep in mind that ships can also be "rafted". There are so many ships that they sometime have to tie up side by side. So people with a balcony may only see the side of another ship.

I didn't spend any where near $13,000 for my cruise.

Please look at a variety of companies not just the ones commonly advertised. And thoroughly read the descriptions so that you understand what tours,port charges, airport transfer costs, tips and services are included in the price. There can be a lot of extras tacked on the brochure cost so a trip can end up costing more than you anticipate. If you are analytic, a spreadsheet is a good idea. A trip that first appears to be cheaper that another one, can actually end up costing more.

The most important detail is the square footage of the cabin, imo. Each line is different so compare carefully. Then compare the costs. I’ve sailed both Aquarium class and full balcony. Aquarium class is good enough for me, especially when the cost is $2000 less expensive lol. I could buy myself a special souvenir or use it for pre or post cruise traveling. Finally, do realize the issue of rafting and what time of day your ship does the sailing. Rafting refers to when two ships are tied up together on the dock. Many itineraries cruise in the evening so the dream of just sitting on your balcony watching the world go by is just that a dream. lol. Lots of threads on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's true that you can spend very little time in your cabin, but there are times that you do as you rest up, get changed, etc. but that's minimal. In my opinion, if you can afford it, any cabin on the top is the best. Friends traveling together might appreciate the extra space a veranda cabin provides and you can pull your beds further apart (I put the larger table in between them). Traveling with a spouse, or partner, you may be happy with the French balcony.

Others totally love the Aquarium level. I personally can not stay there due to some claustrophobia; the high window and below water level would not be comfortable for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I have always dreamed of a balcony room for our first river cruise, picturing sitting on it with a glass of wine while soaking up the scenery as I pass by. That's why we have never been on a river cruise because that balcony room is beyond what we can justify! I guess that image of mine has been burst by this thread. Can someone tell me 1) for the Viking cruises "Romatic Danube" and/or "Danube Waltz", what time of day does the sailing take place? If it's mainly at night, perhaps that balcony is not so important? 2) which of the above two Danube cruises would you recommend; how are they different?

I have always dreamed of a balcony room for our first river cruise, picturing sitting on it with a glass of wine while soaking up the scenery as I pass by. That's why we have never been on a river cruise because that balcony room is beyond what we can justify! I guess that image of mine has been burst by this thread. Can someone tell me 1) for the Viking cruises "Romatic Danube" and/or "Danube Waltz", what time of day does the sailing take place? If it's mainly at night, perhaps that balcony is not so important? 2) which of the above two Danube cruises would you recommend; how are they different?

Both leave in the evening, during or after dinner. I've done both the Romantic Danube and about to do the Danube Waltz in April. What I recall re Romantic is we basically had one morning and one afternoon when we leisurely cruised. Because we were delayed at a lock, we then cruised during breakfast as we approached Vienna mid morning rather than while we slept.

Looking at the Waltz- a morning on the way to Bratislava and another on the way to Durnstein if you don't go to Gottweig Abbey. After Gottweig Abbey excursion there is a prelunch cruise towards Durnstein. The afternoon includes a cruise of the Wachau Valley (dependent on whether you do the afternoon optionals in Melk).

As for balcony- I've cruised in a French Balcony as well as a Veranda. I, personally, think it's more important to book a Veranda balcony based on room size rather than visions of sipping "wine while soaking up the scenery". The view from the sun deck or Aquavit lounge is far superior than the one side your balcony is facing.

If cost is an issue and Sq Ft not, I would suggest booking a French Balcony © on the upper level vs a Veranda (B) on the middle deck.

Differences in cruise itinerary can be compared on Viking's website. The itinerary is affected perhaps what you plan pre or post cruise, but the obvious difference is the Romantic includes Regensburg & Nuremberg.

We book a veranda for 2 reasons - the extra space and chair, and because we are lock geeks. I was up in the middle of the night out on the veranda taking photos of the lock transits :)

And I have awakened early in my aquarium class cabin, put on a robe, and gone up to the sundeck to take sunrise pictures. To each his/her own.

Wow! interesting views offered here. Never thought of the notion that we'd get better views from all angles than we would on a one-sided veranda. thanks for this perspective!

Maybe that "aquarium" cabin wouldn't be so bad.

We book a veranda for 2 reasons - the extra space and chair, and because we are lock geeks. I was up in the middle of the night out on the veranda taking photos of the lock transits :)

We book the Veranda on Viking for the same space & chair reason. Makes a difference to our comfort.

Don't use the balcony much but do use it.

If Viking's French Balcony (no balcony) were larger like the Veranda I'd choose it for a lower price, but it isn't.

I'd recommend taking the least expensive cabin if price is the issue. You can go upstairs and see or photograph anything. Or enjoy wine up top or outside on the Aquavit terrace, same as someone who paid for suites.

Just GO.

I am going to be taking my first river cruise during the Christmas markets this year as a solo and I booked an "aquarium" cabin on Ama, as that class didn't have a single supplement when I booked. The cabin says that it is 160 sq ft so I'm thinking that is an ok size for a solo person? I also was thinking I wouldn't use a balcony much at that time of year.

The best swan viewing is definitely in aquarium class.

We call it a "basement room".

Our room reminded us of a basement with a fairly large window...We used our window area for storage...It was about 5 feet wide and at least 2 feet deep.

We didn't mind the room at all...my only complaint was hearing the water (and what sounded like tree limbs or other debris) through the walls while moving at night.

My 1st cabin was a Cat.3 on Uniworld (French balcony). 2nd was a Cat. 4 ("aquarium" class) and this year's cruise is in a Cat. 5. Same deck as 4, just a little further back. So what? Book what suits your budget.

Roz

Wow! interesting views offered here. Never thought of the notion that we'd get better views from all angles than we would on a one-sided veranda. thanks for this perspective!

Maybe that "aquarium" cabin wouldn't be so bad.

If you are considering a Rhine cruise the highlight is the Rhine gorge to see the castles. Everyone is either on the top deck or in the lounge which has panoramic viewing.

The Danube if you depart from Budapest on AMA (maybe other lines too I’m not sure) the Captain takes the ship for an hour illumination sail after dinner to see the buildings and bridges lit up. Everyone is on the top deck to enjoy. There is also a section in Wachau Valley that has gorgeous daytime sailing that is narrated by tour director. You need to be on top or else you can only see the side your balcony faces.