What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

You didn't feel like you missed out because of the balcony being so small? We had a forward facing penthouse on the Jade last year before it went to dry dock and the balcony was HUGE! We spent time out there because we felt we were wasting it if we didn't' date=' but I'm wondering if that's the one thing we'll miss. You didn't miss it at all?[/quote']

We had the same room on the Gem this past February. Most amazing balcony ever and I lived out there. It was perfect for an 11 nt Cruise to the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our bid from a minisuite to a H5 was accepted 2 weeks ago for the May 20 Breakaway cruise. Original minisuite was $1999/person with UBP, UDP, $100OBC, gratuities, and no tax/port charges as we booked during the tax free promo last year.

Bid of $600/person-$1200 total - lowest bid allowed was accepted.

Did you have to pay port charges and tax on the upgrade? I booked with the no port charge/tax promotion also and an bidding on an upgrade and wondering if I'll have to pay the charges if bid is accepted?

Did you have to pay port charges and tax on the upgrade? I booked with the no port charge/tax promotion also and an bidding on an upgrade and wondering if I'll have to pay the charges if bid is accepted?

Everything remains the same, the only additional charges are the bid amount for pax 1&2 and if Book Safe travel protection was purchased, it will be recalculated based on the new cruise fare.

Headed to KW & Havana Monday (5-21) on the Sun. Originally booked a sail-away inside cabin for $399 per person. I saw on Tuesday they had several family balcony staterooms left. On a whim, I submitted an upgrade bid of $150 per person for a balcony room which was shown as a having "fair" chance. I assumed it was a longshot, but I surprised to find that I was awarded the upgrade to one of the family balcony rooms this afternoon. With the increase in my insurance protection, the upgrade cost $374. :cool:

Headed to KW & Havana Monday (5-21) on the Sun. Originally booked a sail-away inside cabin for $399 per person. I saw on Tuesday they had several family balcony staterooms left. On a whim, I submitted an upgrade bid of $150 per person for a balcony room which was shown as a having "fair" chance. I assumed it was a longshot, but I surprised to find that I was awarded the upgrade to one of the family balcony rooms this afternoon. With the increase in my insurance protection, the upgrade cost $374. :cool:

Score!

Wow , $550 total PP for a family balcony . Score ,score !

Id like to come back and join the party again post cruise. I travelled May 6th through the 13th. I read this thread for 6 months pre cruise and enjoyed reading your posts. Some of you were main stays in my life as I was quoting your comments per name to my wife like Maniac and such haha :).

I went a little higher pp then what most had won their bids for before my cruise. But Now I'm reading about those going even higher then me and still losing. So timing is a lot to with the bid calculations. Mu winning bid was 1500 pp for H4. But wow what an amazing room. The best Ive ever had. So worth it. But the point I wanted to make was that.... I want to throw out there to those of you bidding now..... that all the reviews you read about the Getaway being a party ship in the regular masses is absolutely true. I think winning the bid, even at a higher number than I wanted to pay at the beginning, was essential in making this Cruise amazing. Maybe it was because I was in The Haven and I experienced pure Bliss that I found outside the Haven to be an absolute zoo, party boat, alcohol abused Pooh show. And Im a mid 39 year old fun guy. Not some stuck up prude... But I am so thankful that I won the Haven bid as I think I would have hated this ship if not. I enjoy a glass of wine, a beer and some frozen drinks with my wife but what I saw out there was absolutely insane. And this ship did feel cramped out in tue masses. And it could have been due to my perspective from being in the Haven, but I have still been on 12 other ships so I have comparison (including Escape). Yet I felt this one was absolutely had a more crowded feeling then any other, when outside the Haven. So take that into account when bidding. If that's important to you. Hope that helps someone. Good luck to all. I loved having you all in my bidding process time. :D:D:)

So now I'm wondering if I should raise our bid? We don't like hanging around drunk people. My wife is a cop, so she is especially irritated with drunks. Our cruise leaves June 10th. I just feel like it won't be that crowded so I might have a chance in the poor category.

Id like to come back and join the party again post cruise. I travelled May 6th through the 13th. I read this thread for 6 months pre cruise and enjoyed reading your posts. Some of you were main stays in my life as I was quoting your comments per name to my wife like Maniac and such haha :).

I went a little higher pp then what most had won their bids for before my cruise. But Now I'm reading about those going even higher then me and still losing. So timing is a lot to with the bid calculations. Mu winning bid was 1500 pp for H4. But wow what an amazing room. The best Ive ever had. So worth it. But the point I wanted to make was that.... I want to throw out there to those of you bidding now..... that all the reviews you read about the Getaway being a party ship in the regular masses is absolutely true. I think winning the bid, even at a higher number than I wanted to pay at the beginning, was essential in making this Cruise amazing. Maybe it was because I was in The Haven and I experienced pure Bliss that I found outside the Haven to be an absolute zoo, party boat, alcohol abused Pooh show. And Im a mid 39 year old fun guy. Not some stuck up prude... But I am so thankful that I won the Haven bid as I think I would have hated this ship if not. I enjoy a glass of wine, a beer and some frozen drinks with my wife but what I saw out there was absolutely insane. And this ship did feel cramped out in tue masses. And it could have been due to my perspective from being in the Haven, but I have still been on 12 other ships so I have comparison (including Escape). Yet I felt this one was absolutely had a more crowded feeling then any other, when outside the Haven. So take that into account when bidding. If that's important to you. Hope that helps someone. Good luck to all. I loved having you all in my bidding process time. :D:D:)

Choosing to be a cop does not seem a wise career choice for some who is irritated by drunks, just saying... BTW the drunks can and usually are in all cabin levels.

Sorry I was at work..got an email from CC and thought Id add a quick note. Let me further add to it. True they are everywhere in world, class, ship and room type. These parties that were on deck were like Carnival party/games of the yester years. It was crazy. And extreme partiers completely lined the pool, body to body, so you absolutely could not get in main pool unless you were diving over them. I get this can change due to different types of people on each week....but I read this same thing multiple times on CC Getaway ship reviews. It was true. I too was a cop. Now a teacher so maybe Im too prude..but I love fun, I an fine with occasional drinks and food times and laughs....but 58 year old wives and mothers falling over unconscious while removing articles of clothes while trying to dry hump the guys in the competition was a lot over done. And not stopped and encouraged. Ive been on Carnival too and this was WAY worse. The cruise director pushed alcohol heavily and w 60% of the cruisers w free drinks, it made it CRAZY OUT THERE. HAVEN IS LIKE NOTHING ELSE.

Choosing to be a cop does not seem a wise career choice for some who is irritated by drunks, just saying... BTW the drunks can and usually are in all cabin levels.[/quote

She probably didn't mind so much BEFORE she was a cop, the things they have to put up with!

I received an email today that my bid was approved for an upcoming summer cruise. Whoo-Hoo, I'm to excited and stoked at the same time! I won't say what cruise ship it is because I'm still nervous that it could /may still be revoked........ if I reveal too much, plus there are several cabins (H5 and H4) still available in the Haven class category and they are probably still accepting bids as we speak. The cruise is less than 2 week and that's all I feel safe to divulge at this time. I originally booked a mini-suite and bid less than $1500 total for my Haven upgrade, so bids are still been awarded. Good luck to everyone.

Edited by SPYDER67

I received an email today that my bid was approved for an upcoming summer cruise. Who Ho, I'mo excited and stoked at the same time! I won't say what cruise ship it is because I'm still nervous that it could /may still be revoked........ if I reveal too much, plus there are several cabins (H5 and H4) still available in the Haven class category and they are probably still accepting bids as we speak. The cruise is less than 2 week and that's all I feel safe to divulge at this time. I originally booked a mini-suite and bid less than $1500 total for my Haven upgrade, so bids are still been awarded. Good luck to everyone.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Once the bid is accepted, it is yours. They will not revoke.

I'm sure you have benefited from other posts and this thread so it is only fair that you give more information that what you have initially supplied to help others.