No Shorts or Tank Tops in MDR except first night

It wouldn't of course.

But dining is about more than taste, it's an experience, a feast for all 5 senses. Hence the great attention land- and sea-based dining venues pay to decor, ambiance, soundproofing, etc.

I like sitting by the window and watching the ocean at a meal sometimes, it doesn't affect how the food tastes either, but it's pleasant.

And of course how others dress is part of that. There is a reason for the fashion, makeup and hairstylist industry. People like to look good and like others to look good.

There is an entire field of "embodied cognition" that deals with the way our appearance changes other's perceptions. See: https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/science/clothes-and-self-perception.html to start.

One thing these types of experiments show is that when we're more dressed up we tend to be more polite and better able to engage in abstract thinking. people are also more likely to be polite to someone dressed well than otherwise

Similarly, Professor Karen J. Pine, of the University of Hertfordshire (U.K.) writes in her very short book Mind What You Wear: The Psychology of Fashion “When we put on a piece of clothing we cannot help but adopt some of the characteristics associated with it, even if we are unaware of it.”

so if you don't care to dress up fine, but let's PLEASE stop this BS that "no one cares" or "why does anyone care" because they do. It's just an excuse to be lazy, disrespectful, and rude.

Personally, I do care how people look at dinner and when they are under dressed it bothers me. But I don't freak out because I'm hardly perfect and I'm sure I do things that annoy people on cruises also. But at least I'm not disingenuous about it.

So I really wish people would stop pretending that it's crazy to care how other people look. It's clearly established through science, history, and culture that appearance is important to most of us. It's not just a made up thing. It's not easily explainable like some many other thing about the human brain but it's still true.

Well written and documented. You really did say it all. Will those who "do what I please because it's my vacation" pay any attention? Absolutely not. They will continue to be totally self centered.

Thanks for your opinions. We do have our own standards. But just for packing makes more sense to know what is actually accepted, expected or enforced. I never choose to be underdressed but do not like to stick out because overdressed all the time either. If their guidelines were followed I think would be great and they seem clear to me. But do think they need to be clear if standard is different on Oasis class they should say so. I can see where people have the right to get upset if on one cruise the norm is more casual so next time pack according to what just experienced and a few months later get turned away because of it in MDR.

Nothing will be enforced. This is a joke. Dress code, Kids in diapers or worse in hot tubs, and chair hogs are NEVER enforced. I for one am tired of it. RCI needs to not be afraid to have the crew enforce the rules. The main reason the staff does not is, they are afraid of the complaints that RCI takes so seriously on their surveys. In order for rules to work RCI must be willing to back up the crew rather than the rude, low class, inconsiderate passengers. IMHO

[emoji849]uh oh another rule obsessed person. I bet you never speed while driving either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That analogy is so overused. There are people that don't speed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

So I really wish people would stop pretending that it's crazy to care how other people look. It's clearly established through science, history, and culture that appearance is important to most of us. It's not just a made up thing. It's not easily explainable like some many other thing about the human brain but it's still true.

I have little concern with what others wear (probably because most people do dress somewhat respectably) but I'll give you props for this. It's a well put together response.

And the Cruise Compass states, "suggested evening attire..." in the MDR in the evening.

The daily compass did not mention shorts as a no-no on our Allure Easter week sail. RCL had the right idea with the Quantum class DD concept where the Grande was only formal wear, and left the rest of us alone. They enforced wearing of jackets by having waiter's jacket available in case of non compliance.

Also, seen many times where Paxs were turned away if wearing tank tops in the MDR.

I have little concern with what others wear (probably because most people do dress somewhat respectably) but I'll give you props for this. It's a well put together response.

I agree with your comments. I too do not care what people wear to the MDR. I’d sooner they enforce chair hog rules than clothing in the dining room.

Last 2 years have witnessed people turned away multiple times wearing shorts and tank tops/T-shirts only on Formal nites... Less then 20 years ago Royal would enforce it every nite but first. Sailed NCL when they started Freestyle the eat when you want wear what you want(except shorts)20 years ago, but even then one nite a sailing was Formal, Jacket/Tie...

I average 3 cruises a year .In the past 5 years the only person I saw not allowed in a MDR was wearing sandals on a Formal night .I saw men in shorts and tee shirts .

Last month, shorts were perfectly acceptable in all dining rooms all nights. The "dress code" was a "suggestion" in the daily compass. And there were mixes of tuxes and shorts on formal night.

Formal (true black tie) nights have no appeal to the contemporary cruiser. Sure, there are a lot of "old timers" who grew up with gowns and tuxes (we certainly did). However, RCCL needs to continue to adapt and evolve to attract the next generation cruisers who will be customers for a lifetime. The "old timers" like us, will continue to cruise (and leave the gowns and tuxes at home).

You pay thousands of dollars to go on a cruise you should be able to wear whatever you want. I understand suggested guidelines, but they should be just that... guidelines. Besides what do you do with children and adults who aren’t cisgender and want to express themselves creatively with their clothing choices? Also as a man, I would not feel comfortable telling a woman what she should/ should not wear?

Last month, shorts were perfectly acceptable in all dining rooms all nights. The "dress code" was a "suggestion" in the daily compass. And there were mixes of tuxes and shorts on formal night.

Formal (true black tie) nights have no appeal to the contemporary cruiser. Sure, there are a lot of "old timers" who grew up with gowns and tuxes (we certainly did). However, RCCL needs to continue to adapt and evolve to attract the next generation cruisers who will be customers for a lifetime. The "old timers" like us, will continue to cruise (and leave the gowns and tuxes at home).

My very first cruise was on a Cunard ship .Every night was mandatory suit and tie for men at dinner.Every lunch while at sea men had to wear a jacket and tie .There was only a dining room ,no buffet .

My very first cruise was on a Cunard ship .Every night was mandatory suit and tie for men at dinner.Every lunch while at sea men had to wear a jacket and tie .There was only a dining room ,no buffet .

Glad we didn't take our first cruise until 1991 then.:eek:

I just don't care what other people wear to a meal. Wear what you want, it, it doesn't impact the taste of my food at all.

I for one hope they continue to not enforce the suggested dress code.

Agreed!!! I could care less what the people sitting in the MDR are wearing. It does not impact my dining experience. For the busy bodies who complained (if the article is true), then I say there is something wrong there if they are impacted with how people are dressed and needed to complain to the cruise line. Somehow, i'm not 100% sold that this is in fact true. RCCL has to please every paying customer. There is a lot of competition out there and people will chose other cruise lines if attire is strongly enforced.

To each his own. I do enjoy dressing for dinner, as well as my family members BUT as with any other vacation, my husband wears khaki shorts (dress shorts), a button down top and boat shoes. To me that is proper attire for dinner on a Caribbean cruise. The "no shorts" policy again is vague and paired with tank tops. That leads me to believe that they are referring to athletic type of shorts or possibly denim.

People will never get over the dress code which is a shame. Just enjoy your vacation and let others be.

Could be the people dressing as suggested for dinner sharing a table with slobs wearing their shorts, tee shirts and baseball caps at the same table. Kudos for rccl

If people are that bothered by what attire their table mates are wearing they should be asked to be seated elsewhere. Plain & simple.

I have never seen such judgmental people than on this board. There are so many more important things to be bothered over than what other people are wearing.

Cruise lines in past always had a dress code , if you wanted to wear shorts you went to buffet , would be very happy if they returned to this, remember not ago they had theses really tacky sports jacket that they would make people wear if they did not have one.

I average 3 cruises a year .In the past 5 years the only person I saw not allowed in a MDR was wearing sandals on a Formal night .I saw men in shorts and tee shirts .

What kind of sandals? Was it a man or woman? The only closed toe shoes I bring on a Caribbean cruise are sneakers for excursions.

The only time a tablemates attire effects my dining experience is when a person shows up at the table with their hairy armpits exposed.

I also don't like baseball caps and/or cowboy hats worn at the table. It does not effect my enjoyment of the meal to the extent of hairy armpits but we may change our reservations due to the crazy spring weather.

I have enjoyed several crises over the past 6 years. I will agree, that each cruise, seems to be a little more casual than the one before It. I’m one of those customers that enjoys the casual vibes. I wear professional attire 5 days a week and also dress “business casual” for church on Sunday’s. It’s so nice to have a sun dress & light sweater or capri’s and a cute top. Not to mention, less luggage as transporting formal wear takes up more space (clothes, shoes etc) than, as we like to call It, “Island Wear”. Frankly, what others wear on a cruise/vacation doesn’t affect me as long as it’s clean and doesn’t smell. It’s a bit condescending though to refer to people dressing casually as “slobs”. Casual doesn’t always equal sloppy.

No matter which side of the issue one takes, I find it interesting that the response almost always says, "someone will be offended" Maybe it is time for every cruise line to add a moderate large "safe area" where those offended can go hide until their being offended wears off. As they used to say,, "Put on your big boy pants" even if they come all the way down to your ankles.