Involuntary Downgrade Nightmare-Please Advise

h20luv

Hello,

I am hoping to get advice from you experienced folks. Only 10 days from sailing on the Oasis I was informed that our cabin with large balcony on bump booked near family 7 months ago was needing a repair and we were involuntary downgraded placed far from family in a small balcony cabin.

Even though the large balcony cabin costed us hundreds more per person than the smaller one, RC only put $100pp ($200) obc on the account. The downgraded cabin price difference is clear online for future bookings as well. I don't understand how Royal Caribbean can charge for a higher priced product/ cabin type, replace it with a lesser price product but not reimburse the difference.

The TA made many calls through escalated channels (which I don't know what escalated means because there was no help). I messaged through Facebook and received the same response that it was escalated to corporate but 200 obc was it for the inconvenience of the move to "keep us safe".

I was told I could try standing in line in customer service once on the ship, but after reading forum posts on the customer service lines on Oasis, I think it would be a nightmare to spend vacation this way. I feel really taken advantage of and all of my cruise prep time and joy is gone.

The cruise is a gift to my mom for helping me so much this year after my brain tumor surgery..this is her very first cruise and only my second. I really want this problem to be fixed before Sunday's sailing so we can enjoy our time together. This has turned into a disappointing nightmare. Does anyone know what escalated really means and why wouldn't a price adjustment plus significant obc be given? Thank you to anyone who can help or who has had a similar experience.

Isn‘t the size of the cabin except the balcony the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes the inside cabin size is the same but the real estate upcharge is in the larger balcony size and location. I was downgraded cabin type. I will take Bob's advice and email the top.

When you email it would be helpful to your case if you gave specific categories. Example I was moved from a D2 to a D5. Also you should take 4 or 5 sailings that are from around the same time period next year and take the differences in the costs of those 2 cabins to use in justifying your request for additional OBC. Keep it based on facts and not emotions or personal reasons.

Royal should be able to go back and see the actual difference between the 2 categories when you purchased your cruise.

When you email it would be helpful to your case if you gave specific categories. Example I was moved from a D2 to a D5. Also you should take 4 or 5 sailings that are from around the same time period next year and take the differences in the costs of those 2 cabins to use in justifying your request for additional OBC. Keep it based on facts and not emotions or personal reasons.

Good advice!!!

Royal should be able to go back and see the actual difference between the 2 categories when you purchased your cruise.

Thanks Ken! Yikes, I just sent off the email. It was factual, but I did include that I was treating my mom and that we are traveling with family after my surgery success. I respectfully requested either a price adjustment based on the average difference in cabin cost, or that the repair be made before Sunday's sailing and we be placed in the original cabin or that we receive a similar large balcony cabin or upgrade. I also requested if those solutions don't seem reasonable to please provide the reasoning.

I appreciate you all taking the time to help me.

Thanks Ken! Yikes, I just sent off the email. It was factual, but I did include that I was treating my mom and that we are traveling with family after my surgery success. I respectfully requested either a price adjustment based on the average difference in cabin cost, or that the repair be made before Sunday's sailing and we be placed in the original cabin or that we receive a similar large balcony cabin or upgrade. I also requested if those solutions don't seem reasonable to please provide the reasoning.

I appreciate you all taking the time to help me.

Good luck and have a great cruise. Come back and let us know the outcome.

I don’t think they can put you in the original cabin if it’s unsafe, and I’d say it’s doubtful they can put you in a similar category at this point without bumping someone else. Did you go online to see which other cabins are still available for this sailing? Hopefully they’ll make good on refunding the price difference, OBC should be for the inconvenience and not in place of refunding you the difference between price paid and cabin received.

Hello,

I am hoping to get advice from you experienced folks. Only 10 days from sailing on the Oasis I was informed that our cabin with large balcony on bump booked near family 7 months ago was needing a repair and we were involuntary downgraded placed far from family in a small balcony cabin.

Even though the large balcony cabin costed us hundreds more per person than the smaller one, RC only put $100pp ($200) obc on the account. The downgraded cabin price difference is clear online for future bookings as well. I don't understand how Royal Caribbean can charge for a higher priced product/ cabin type, replace it with a lesser price product but not reimburse the difference.

The TA made many calls through escalated channels (which I don't know what escalated means because there was no help). I messaged through Facebook and received the same response that it was escalated to corporate but 200 obc was it for the inconvenience of the move to "keep us safe".

I was told I could try standing in line in customer service once on the ship, but after reading forum posts on the customer service lines on Oasis, I think it would be a nightmare to spend vacation this way. I feel really taken advantage of and all of my cruise prep time and joy is gone.

The cruise is a gift to my mom for helping me so much this year after my brain tumor surgery..this is her very first cruise and only my second. I really want this problem to be fixed before Sunday's sailing so we can enjoy our time together. This has turned into a disappointing nightmare. Does anyone know what escalated really means and why wouldn't a price adjustment plus significant obc be given? Thank you to anyone who can help or who has had a similar experience.

Your cruise is on the 25th?

What cabin were you in?

Chances are the cabin you are switched to is exactly the same except for the location. Just because yours was on the bump doesn't make it larger. Even if you were upgraded, you probably still wouldn't be near your family.

Edited by cruisinfanatic

Chances are the cabin you are switched to is exactly the same except for the location. Just because yours was on the bump doesn't make it larger. Even if you were upgraded, you probably still wouldn't be near your family.

I would agree on some of the other ships BUT on Oasis class the hump cabins are there own separate category so if they are not on the hump they are indeed in a different category. The balconies are definitely larger on the hump cabins.

As others have said have a great trip. Try to get out of the mindset that this is a "nightmare". Most people would be thrilled if their worst nightmare was cruising in a balcony cabin.....

And good luck, they should be offering more than they are.

Thank you. I just am really disappointed and stressed not having a lot of time left to prepare. I have not even told my mom of the situation and am not looking forward to seeing her disappointment being separated from her family. I do really appreciate the ability to come here for advice, and your encouragement. I know how to pull out of nightmares having gone through this year of brain tumor surgeries and complications.

Request to be upgraded to a JS. There are several available on the March 25 th sailing on Deck 6, 7, 9, 14 and they can keep your OBC.

Also, if it needed to be fixed 7 months ago why do they have a specific date to do it and not anytime sooner? It sounds like you got bumped for someone else

Request to be upgraded to a JS. There are several available on the March 25 th sailing on Deck 6, 7, 9, 14 and they can keep your OBC.

Also, if it needed to be fixed 7 months ago why do they have a specific date to do it and not anytime sooner? It sounds like you got bumped for someone else

Good idea about the JS but not sure where you got the idea that they knew the cabin needed to be fixed 7 months ago. That’s when the OP booked. They were just informed 10 days ago that the cabin was out of service. Timeline seems reasonable to me.

Common sense says to me that If you was downgraded in Category, they must give back the difference in price at the time of your booking. If they refuse to grant you a refund, you must go to the consumer protection authorities.

Thank you. It just doesn't make any sense to me, and I hope this will get fixed before sailing. More than the money, this seems to be really unjust business practice and general unfair treatment. Thank you for your advice.

Good idea about the JS but not sure where you got the idea that they knew the cabin needed to be fixed 7 months ago. That’s when the OP booked. They were just informed 10 days ago that the cabin was out of service. Timeline seems reasonable to me.

Yes, I learned Wednesday about the repair. I don't know the nature of repair, but was thinking if it was a small repair perhaps it could be done by Sunday if another guest isn't in the cabin now.

That would be great, but the OP is not on that cruise