Classic Drinks Package Changes

MandB

We just got off the Infinity (LA-Ft Lauderdale) and I am not at all happy with what they are doing with the drink packages. As with our past several cruises we had the classic package but found it is of much less value than it used to be. Seems like they raised the prices of many drinks so they no longer fall under $9/drink limit and, for me, the biggest change is that you can no longer get a can of soda. The new rule is that the classic package only allows for fountain drinks (by the glass). Although, in almost all cases, I watched as they poured by glass of soda out of a can. This seems to be a bit much for a package Celebrity says is worth $55/day. My guess is that it is yet another way for them to convince passengers to pay that extra $10/day for the premium package. Wine at dinner was also a challenge as there are almost no choices that now be had with "only" the classic package. Yes, I know I could just pay the extra $10/day and upgrade! However, I don't think it is too much to ask to get a can of soda when paying $55/day for a package. By the way I checked the Celebrity website while on board and found that it still indicated the classic package included "can or fountain" drinks. When I discussed this with a supervisor in the bar department I was told that they had no control over the Celebrity website and could only follow the verbal directions they were given by corporate.

Apparently this has been experienced on other ships -- sometimes only glasses of soda, but other times cans of soda. I can speculate on the reasons -- perhaps as you surmise, it is to convince people to upgrade their packages. Perhaps there is a supply problem along the line. Perhaps they are testing this on a couple of ships and will modify the package later.

BTW, if you wanted a glass of wine that was more expensive than the package allowed, you could have just paid the difference in price.

We just got off the Infinity (LA-Ft Lauderdale) and I am not at all happy with what they are doing with the drink packages. As with our past several cruises we had the classic package but found it is of much less value than it used to be. Seems like they raised the prices of many drinks so they no longer fall under $9/drink limit and, for me, the biggest change is that you can no longer get a can of soda. The new rule is that the classic package only allows for fountain drinks (by the glass). Although, in almost all cases, I watched as they poured by glass of soda out of a can. This seems to be a bit much for a package Celebrity says is worth $55/day. My guess is that it is yet another way for them to convince passengers to pay that extra $10/day for the premium package. Wine at dinner was also a challenge as there are almost no choices that now be had with "only" the classic package. Yes, I know I could just pay the extra $10/day and upgrade! However, I don't think it is too much to ask to get a can of soda when paying $55/day for a package. By the way I checked the Celebrity website while on board and found that it still indicated the classic package included "can or fountain" drinks. When I discussed this with a supervisor in the bar department I was told that they had no control over the Celebrity website and could only follow the verbal directions they were given by corporate.

We were on Reflection back in July/August and the policy was NO cans on the Classic Package, and yes, they did pour the drink from a can into a glass. A couple of times I asked for another as the drink was flat due to the can being pre-opened and sitting on the side for some time. Apparently, this is the new policy.

No, I will not upgrade to Premium when I hardly drink any alcohol. I presume the next cutback will be a limit on the daily amount of drinks served - watch this space ;).

It's been awhile since we cruised Celebrity and I forgot how this worked.

Are both of the "wine by the glass" classic and premium menus available at the bars? At the dinner table?

From personal experience, there’s no set menu for the wine as it varies by ship as to what they have onboard.

We were on Reflection back in July/August and the policy was NO cans on the Classic Package, and yes, they did pour the drink from a can into a glass. A couple of times I asked for another as the drink was flat due to the can being pre-opened and sitting on the side for some time. Apparently, this is the new policy.

Seriously? That is just ridiculous!

From personal experience, there’s no set menu for the wine as it varies by ship as to what they have onboard.

We go with the premium package but one thing that annoys me greatly is that you can guarantee that the restaurants will run out of most wines on the premium package towards the end of the cruise. However they will gladly pour you a wine from the classic package...

Seriously? That is just ridiculous!

Yes, the cans are opened and left. You do not get the full can and you have to show your seapass card to prove you have the Premium package if you want a can of soda. Obviously, this was only our personal experience on Reflection in the summer in the Med. I am interested to see if it continues after the TA when the ship is back in the Caribbean. Having read the OP’s post though, it looks like they are slowly introducing it fleet wide.

There are company inconsistencies here which is totally WRONG!! We have just returned from a cruise on Eclipse out of Southampton and had the classic drinks package which allowed drinks to the 11 dollar ceiling. This even included some branded spirits such as Smokey Shoulder scotch whisky and a low end Bombay gin.

Another crazy notion is that smoothies at the HEALTHY option breakfast cafe are more than these spirits and effectively excluded from the classic package. YES!! you can pay the up grade but why for a none alcoholic drink which perhaps the cruise company should encouraged us to use.

To the OP, sorry you encountered this.

There are extensive 'vocalizations' about this new policy since its' implementation, here on CC.

As well, at X's website they do disclose what beverages and how and when they will be served is listed.

Some of us enjoy the packages just as they are, as I always, without exception, have to get the premium package. I bet there will be great up-roar when the 'standard' package is the new normal, we will all remember how the classic and premium was 'better'...LOL

Your complaints most likely would have been better lodged with the F & B or Hotel Manager aboard, next time, if there is a next time for you to board X and/or get X's beverage package(s).

bon voyage

There are company inconsistencies here which is totally WRONG!! We have just returned from a cruise on Eclipse out of Southampton and had the classic drinks package which allowed drinks to the 11 dollar ceiling. This even included some branded spirits such as Smokey Shoulder scotch whisky and a low end Bombay gin.

Another crazy notion is that smoothies at the HEALTHY option breakfast cafe are more than these spirits and effectively excluded from the classic package. YES!! you can pay the up grade but why for a none alcoholic drink which perhaps the cruise company should encouraged us to use.

Sailings out of Southampton have different limits. I'm sure someone else will be able to offer a better explanation, but it's something to do with gratuities. From memory I think the premium limit is $15 too.

Yes, the cans are opened and left. You do not get the full can and you have to show your seapass card to prove you have the Premium package if you want a can of soda.

I find that ridiculous. It makes you wonder where will the cost cutting end. #tightbarstewards

I really do not like this because I live on my balcony on sea days and after coming back from a port. That means I have to get the glass of diet coke, walk to the elevator, and take the elevator, walk to my cabin with #1 not spilling any and #2 not letting people cough or sneeze in it - NOT a good way to stop the spread of nasty things. Also, I usually got a can at breakfast, put it in my refrigerator & then went straight to the balcony after a port visit - can't do that either any more.

This cost saving is getting out of control!!

While for some the changes aren't positive for others the charge allowing you to just pay the difference in price for a drink over the Classic limit rather than the full price is a win.

One wine I like is $11 previously I had a to pay $11.80 a day to upgrade or pay $12. 98 for 1glass. Now I can enjoy a glass of that wine at dinner and pay $2.36. That's a big plus to me.

While for some the changes aren't positive for others the charge allowing you to just pay the difference in price for a drink over the Classic limit rather than the full price is a win.

One wine I like is $11 previously I had a to pay $11.80 a day to upgrade or pay $12. 98 for 1glass. Now I can enjoy a glass of that wine at dinner and pay $2.36. That's a big plus to me.

The win for me is, I do not have to sign for every drink or think about what the resulting bar bill will be, except for the cabin refrig.

I do not mind upgrading for convenience and purely my convenience at that and not to solely recoup the added cost of the Premium Package, after all I Am on vacation and budget for it...

bon voyage

That's what I experienced on my last cruise in May. My favorite wine was $1.18 so it only cost me a couple of bucks a day instead of the premium upgrade. It was so much cheaper for us to have it this way. We were happy about the change .... although my next cruise I have booked with Celebrity already came with the premium package. I was hoping they hadn't changed this policy ... just in case I book a cruise that comes with the classic package. I guess some are pleased, others are not so pleased.

For soda, I am not sure as they would give me a can of club soda with the classic package. I don't drink soda, other than seltzer or club, so can't speak to what they did otherwise. But you know, I like my club soda as a fountain drink anyway as I usually can't finish the whole can before it gets warm or flat.

Why not just buy a case before you board and have it sent to your room with your luggage....or bring some soda on at any port. It's done all the time.

I agree that the new policy is pretty much as bad as taking the daily water out of the aqua cabins.....but it's not insurmountable. A bit like drinks in your cabin are not included...but no one stops you from taking your glass of scotch to your cabin, pouring it into a flask a couple of times a day....and voila, you have scotch in your cabin (hint: you don't actually have to go to your cabin...just do it at a table near the bar). Ditto on wine in a water bottle. Be creative...consider beating the system an activity :)

I find that ridiculous. It makes you wonder where will the cost cutting end. #tightbarstewards

it won't. The more they get away with, the more they'll add to the list. Just look at what happened to the Kobe Beef Burger when the mob of passengers rose up. But with everyone happy about paying the difference due to better brands moved off the Classic package and paying the $2 up charge...you can coun't on this one sticking.

It's like the three card monte with their revenue increasing.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Hmm.?

..we did fine with the Classic on Infinity Ca Coastal earlier this month.. DH had his beer, scotch, dinner wine, and I had full can..club soda, and nice IGLU and Aspen Coffee...Seems alot of variation,,...

Hmm.?

..we did fine with the Classic on Infinity Ca Coastal earlier this month.. DH had his beer, scotch, dinner wine, and I had full can..club soda, and nice IGLU and Aspen Coffee...Seems alot of variation,,...

Variation and quality are not the same thing though.

The scotch, beer and wine selections within the classic package are to be fair, not great and wine choices in particular limited. But if people are happy with them that's good for them. Just don't expect others to be happy or impressed.

If you're tea total it is a good package. If you have functioning taste buds and like alcohol it's not quite as good.

Variation and quality are not the same thing though.

The scotch, beer and wine selections within the classic package are to be fair, not great and wine choices in particular limited. But if people are happy with them that's good for them. Just don't expect others to be happy or impressed.

If you're tea total it is a good package. If you have functioning taste buds and like alcohol it's not quite as good.

You just made me loose a mouth full of wine which is most likely on the Standard Package! LOL

bon voyage

Hmm.?

Exactly, it’s not even the variation in brands, it’s the case of one drink is permitted on some ships and the same is not on another. Taste, variation and presentation aside, one would think the actual drink would be either in or out of the package - one could even understand it if the barista/bartender said they were unable to make it because they hadn’t got the ingredients to make that particular drink.

It will be interesting to see if X follow other lines in their cost cutting and start restricting the number of alcoholic drinks on packages. As others have stated about the new changes to the current beverage packages, it won’t bother us if the limit is similar to other lines i.e. 15 drinks per day.

Edited by villauk