Auto Tipping - What do you think?

Lynniepoo

I didn't mind at all when it was 10 and then 10.50 per person. I think at 15 for just my wife and I, I still wouldn't balk at anything. My next cruise will likely include an infant, and at 45 per day I might start to really think about that money. I think I would rather just give money to the few people I feel deserve it the most at that point.

We have the option of giving Princess the $15/per person per day tip. What do you think?

I'm unconvinced that this is the best way to go, I mean, that's $30/day for 12 days for us - $360 dollars.

This topic has been hashed to death. Search for the word "tipping" and you'll get more opinions than you need. The policy is $10.50pp per day for regular cabins, and $11pp per day for suites and mini-suites.

Just leave the auto tipping is place and don't think any more about it. The service is worth it.

Personally, I think auto-tipping is wonderful. The suggested tip amounts are the same whether you use the auto-tip method or hand out yourself. As I'm never one who felt comfortable handing envelopes round (and a few times in the past had trouble finding a particular server or staff person on the last evening), I heartily applaud the cruiselines for making it an easier process for me.

If someone goes above and beyond, I will often tip extra. Room stewards in particular have a tough job and we've found they generally do it very well (and sometimes better than very well).

Also appreciated is when you take the time to fill out one of the cards that single out a specific staff/crew person for a job well done.

This topic has been hashed to death. Search for the word "tipping" and you'll get more opinions than you need. The policy is $10.50pp per day for regular cabins, and $11pp per day for suites and mini-suites.

Just leave the auto tipping is place and don't think any more about it. The service is worth it.

AMEN!! I couldn't have said it better

What do I think?

Let's see, 10.50 X 2 X 12 = $252

11.00 X 2 X 12 = $264

I think for fantastic service at three meals a day, plus room cleaned and freshened twice a day, not to mention all the other service behind the scenes it is a bargain. I view auto tipping as a minimum and we generally tip above and beyond. In 14 cruises have never had one where I would have even considered reducing the tip amount. The crew is more than deserving.

We have the option of giving Princess the $15/per person per day tip. What do you think?

I'm unconvinced that this is the best way to go, I mean, that's $30/day for 12 days for us - $360 dollars.

How much would you tip if you ate in restaurants for 3 meals a day?

How much would you tip for someone who cleaned your room, bathroom & make the bed, turn down service?

Very misleading post.

Where does your info come from?

If you are reluctant to pay this type of tip then I would suggest a land vacation. :rolleyes:

If you can't pay the fine then don't do the time.

Whether you do auto-pay or pay in cash, the amount will be the same....at least, that's the amount you SHOULD tip, assuming that you are served in the most basic way....excellent service that goes "above and beyond" deserves a bit extra!

I agree, this is not the best way to do it. The $360 should be added to your bill and due at final payment. If you have issues with the service you deal with it the way you would any other product. You could choose not to use the line again, complain to the supervisor, or b1itch and whine the way I did about my bank's service fee for using a live service rep. Then another fee when I called and talked to someone about the first fee. Comparing to a comparble land vacation, it is still a great value, if you don't get caught up in the extra on-board spending or excursions. So I agree, not the best way, since you ask for opinion but not for the same reasons. My last cruise was $42 per day (10.50 X 4) plus I tipped extra.

Recomendation/advise that you did not ask for: Factor it the tip upfront and remember you can't spell trip without tip.

Whether you do auto-pay or pay in cash, the amount will be the same....at least, that's the amount you SHOULD tip, assuming that you are served in the most basic way....excellent service that goes "above and beyond" deserves a bit extra!

You MUST leave auto-tip in force. If you just give cash, the employee must put those tips into a pool. ONLY if AUTO-TIP IS IN FORCE, do they get to keep all the cash tip.

DO NOT, under any circumstance, remove the auto-tip.

I'm a very hard liner on this issue. In my opinion, those who do not leave the auto tip in place should not be allowed to cruise!

I love the auto-tip. One less thing for me to worry about. I like it even more when a couple of lines have arrangements to pre-pay the tipping..much easier for me to budget for. I hated having to spend time on the last full day of my cruise hunting down all the folks who needed to be tipped.

I suspect cruise lines put the auto-tip in place precisely because so many people under-tipped, or didn't tip at all, under the old system.

Yes, I know all the arguments about "tipping should be voluntary, based on quality of service". Until such time as cruise staff get paid living wages (along with shore side waiters and waitresses, and afew other folks in "tip" jobs), I'm paying the tips, and consider it part of the cost of cruising.

Very sensitive issue.....Auto-Tipping.

I say, be your own person, use common sense and be honest. If you feel the service is A1 (as it usually is, i might add), then trust your inner self to do the right thing.

The main thing is that you are comfortable with your decision.

I don't like anybody telling you or me for that matter, what to do.

Pete.

It might not be the best way to pay the crew, but right now it's the only way. No matter what your opinions or feelings might be, if you choose not to tip for reasons other than service issues, you are 1) allowing others to subsidize your share and 2) depriving hard-working people of the rightful earnings.

Very misleading post.

Where does your info come from?

If you are reluctant to pay this type of tip then I would suggest a land vacation. :rolleyes:

If you can't pay the fine then don't do the time.

Land vacation tips are even more unless you stiff hotel maids and waiters in restaurants.

I checked OP's profile. The prior posts deal with an Australian cruise, so the $15 may be Australian, not US

Perhaps, but it is the OP's first cruise and they are from Fort Mill, South Carolina. So, I would imagine it would be US dollars.

Personally, I don't like auto-tipping and think it should be removed. I agree with the OP that auto-tipping may not be the way to go. I think staff should get the amount that auto-tipping represents, but I think it should be an upfront fee like government fees, port charges, or other addons.

On the statement, it is called a hotel charge. Just show it on the cost of the cruise.

In all of my 16 cruises there has been maybe one crew member that wasn’t totally wonderful. These people work hard and deserve the tips that are suggested. Tipping is known ahead of time and should be considered a part of the cruise expenses. If you can’t afford to tip then you can’t afford to cruise.

I just checked and $10US is equivalent to $10.99AUS. That is today. The conversion varies day by day. For our Canadian friends $10US is equal to $10.371CDN. For New Zealanders it is $13.53NZD. It all depends on where the OP is from.

If you can’t afford to tip then you can’t afford to cruise.

Somewhat Small Minded statement if i may say so !! .... if a person chooses not to tip it his or her perogative..... next you will be telling people how they can and cannot spend their hard earned money.

with friends like you who needs enemies!

No one ever said I wasn't going to tip, and no one ever said I couldn't afford it! I'm not looking to stiff anyone, just wondering if this is my best route. And the $15/day per person came from my travel agent.

Please people, I'm just asking a question, so don't jump down my throat.

If you can’t afford to tip then you can’t afford to cruise.

Somewhat Small Minded statement if i may say so !! .... if a person chooses not to tip it his or her perogative..... next you will be telling people how they can and cannot spend their hard earned money.

with friends like you who needs enemies!

I think this is where we see the difference in outlooks between British and American. I dont mind tipping for good service but do object to be told what to give. They would be better paying the staff better wages and not relying on cruisers doing it. But then the cost of the cruise would look more expensive.

Archived