New Levels

mpbmark

I'm not doubting you at all....just curious. Why would the revenue department upgrade someone (for no reason) when that upgrade could have/should have gone to a "more loyal" cruiser?

We couldn't figure out why were upgraded (though didn't complain, lol) especially when we found out there were D and D+ who were not upgraded.

How/why does the revenue dept work?

We didn't flaunt our upgrade, b/c had I been a D+ on that sailing, I would have been pretty annoyed a Platinum was upgraded for no reason/no cost

Hi Emily!

As the others said, it really is a big mystery how the revenue dept works. No one outside of RCI has really been able to figure it out. Remember, when you book a GTY, you are guaranteed a room in at least that category. So, a GTY interior could very well put you anywhere on the ship. So technically, yours or your Mom's rooms were not "upgrades." You just got very lucky with your GTY.

The C&A upgrades do not occur until revenue has released a block of rooms to C&A. There would have to be rooms available for that to happen.

No one knows "why" Revenue does what it does. It answers to no one, explains to no one.

But it happens A LOT that lower level cruisers are upgraded, and there are NO upgrades left for C&A to give to D+ cruisers.

Hmm, that doesn't seem very fair. Oh well, I guess it's just one of those things we'll never understand.

Hi Emily!

As the others said, it really is a big mystery how the revenue dept works. No one outside of RCI has really been able to figure it out. Remember, when you book a GTY, you are guaranteed a room in at least that category. So, a GTY interior could very well put you anywhere on the ship. So technically, yours or your Mom's rooms were not "upgrades." You just got very lucky with your GTY.

The C&A upgrades do not occur until revenue has released a block of rooms to C&A. There would have to be rooms available for that to happen.

Hi Paul :)

Thanks for the explanation. Guess we'll just be happy with our one time upgrade...and not really expect it to happen more often now that we're Diamond. :D I though, wow if we got upgraded as Platinum, the D and D+ must get upgrades all the time, lol.

Hi Paul :)

:D I though, wow if we got upgraded as Platinum, the D and D+ must get upgrades all the time, lol.

Not really, there are apparently hiearchies with those upgrades too, and many, many ahead of us on any particular sailing. :D:):D

Bob (and Jean), are you saying that at the 74+ level, you get to pick not only a better bottle, but you can have 3 of them??? I thought that it was ONE from the better list or THREE from the lower list.

If so, GOOD DEAL! :)

Yep.

And if you have 74+ cruises and aren't in the same household, you each get to order 3. We were awash in it last week.:D

I totally agree with FreshOfftheBoat. I"m boarding the Navigator on thursday, if I see ANYTHING in writing at the port in the way of a level sign (and I may go looking behind closed doors); or in a coupon book, or ANYWHERE, I AM GOING TO DRAG THAT DOCUMENT AND PUT IT IN THE FACE OF C&A point of contact and first I'll ask nicely and if I get the same song and dance, I will DEMAND an explanation. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

If nothing else, to stop the insanity on this board relating to this topic.

Whew....

Really? So you feel that the C&A HAVE to tell you something that they have yet to be authorized to tell you? Would you put your job on the line for a cruiser that asks nicely and then DEMANDS a explanation. Somewhere along the way its obvious that the loyalty program had signage and coupons books printed. Then SOME employees leaked info, put signage up and then removed it. Coupon books have been passed out probably in error as well. These boards are not tied directly to any cruiseline and they have zero reason to hurry up and offer up explanations to satisfy our questions until as a company they are ready. However, I hope by reading these boards they may be reconsidering their original thoughts & are remodifying the program to better suit the needs of their passengers. When their program is really to present it will be.

Ok, so after all of the rumors and speculation, I am probably just paranoid. I just returned from a cruise last week and my cruise history reflects this cruise but my cruise credits do not. I have never really paid attention in the past to how long this normally takes. Does anyone know? I would assume that the cruise history and cruise credits would be updated at the same time but maybe not. The updating of the cruise history just happened today. This cruise would have made me diamond, so, for obvious reasons I would like my credits to reflect this, just in case there is a chance of being grandfathered in when they make the changes.

Ok, so after all of the rumors and speculation, I am probably just paranoid. I just returned from a cruise last week and my cruise history reflects this cruise but my cruise credits do not. I have never really paid attention in the past to how long this normally takes. Does anyone know? I would assume that the cruise history and cruise credits would be updated at the same time but maybe not. The updating of the cruise history just happened today. This cruise would have made me diamond, so, for obvious reasons I would like my credits to reflect this, just in case there is a chance of being grandfathered in when they make the changes.

Interesting, I didn't notice that. Mine did the same thing, my history updated today but my cruise credits did not. (I'm in the same boat as you, this past cruise made me diamond)

I'm guessing it will update overnight at some point.

Interesting, I didn't notice that. Mine did the same thing, my history updated today but my cruise credits did not. (I'm in the same boat as you, this past cruise made me diamond)

I'm guessing it will update overnight at some point.

I will watch and let you know what happens with mine, please do the same, if you don't mind.

On the 1/9 Mariner cruise, the D+ cruisers were not allowed into the Concierge Lounge in the evening due to an abundance of D+'ers. Instead, the D+ passengers were instructed to use the Viking Crown Lounge in the evening from 5:00 PM to 8:30 PM as their private lounge. The Suite guests had the Concierge Lounge to themselves but only in the evening hours.

The Concierge Lounge, during the daytime hours, was available for Suite and D+ guests.

The Diamond cruisers had use of the Dragon's Lair for their evening drinks.

This arrangement was not a "special event", just a make-shift arrangement to accommodate all those cruising on the last sailing out of California on the Mariner of the Seas.

So the Diamonds got cheap wine and strange trail mix. And the D+s got free drinks and munchies. Just confirming the reality that its not the 'crowding' in the lounge but the cost of free drinks consumed by the many Diamond members.

I am not happy - we could have made D+ with Dec Diamond event but our dog was very sick. So we are going into our Oasis cruise 2 credits short of D+. We had one cruise as Diamonds before the rules kept us from the CLounge. I do think the rules are going to be changes 'again' and we will be unhappy about those changes. I have talked many people into Royal Caribbean cruises - they do have the best ships. But I am not going to be the greyhound chasing the 'rabbit' that is a false reward.

Just some #%&&%. But I hope this gives others something to think about.

Revenue upgrades;

The lower the grade of cabin, the easier it is to sell when it is advertised as a late booking.

These are the cheapies which you see advertised after everyone has paid for their cruise- or so I was told by Celebrity when I enquired.

I already had a balcony cabin booked, "which they didn't need to attract new passengers, they needed the inside ones to advertise."

Do you have any other family members listed on your account:confused:Your point total will show the highest available for anyone in the family. For example....my daughter actually has more cruise points than I do....so for the last couple sailings when ONLY I sailed, my cruise history was updated but NO change made to my cruise points since my status reflects her point total which is higher than mine.

Revenue upgrades;

The lower the grade of cabin, the easier it is to sell when it is advertised as a late booking.

These are the cheapies which you see advertised after everyone has paid for their cruise- or so I was told by Celebrity when I enquired.

I already had a balcony cabin booked, "which they didn't need to attract new passengers, they needed the inside ones to advertise."

That makes sense. What I don't understand is why don't they look at the people who have inside cabins booked and go "ok we have X number of D+ in inside cabins, Y numbers of Diamond, and Z number of platinum. We want # number of inside cabins to advertise so we need to upgrade that many people to oceanview/balcony. We'll start with the D+."

Don't get me wrong we were THRILLED with the upgrade. I'm just looking at it from a fairness point of view. The randomness of upgrading Platinums and Golds and leaving D+ people behind is just odd.

That makes sense. What I don't understand is why don't they look at the people who have inside cabins booked and go "ok we have X number of D+ in inside cabins, Y numbers of Diamond, and Z number of platinum. We want # number of inside cabins to advertise so we need to upgrade that many people to oceanview/balcony. We'll start with the D+."

Don't get me wrong we were THRILLED with the upgrade. I'm just looking at it from a fairness point of view. The randomness of upgrading Platinums and Golds and leaving D+ people behind is just odd.

That would be very nice but unfortunately, revenue doesn't care, or maybe doesn't even know what C&A level people are. All they see is the booking. It would be great if revenue and C&A could combine.

I know what the "Official" policy is for D & D+ being first in line for upgrades.

Having said that, we were upgraded to a GS when we were gold.

Yes we were thrilled, and asked "Why Us?"

It was the Concierge who said: "Well, maybe, they feel you are a likely candidate to book a GS in the future"

So, at that particular circumstance, and if the Concierge was correct, it was more of a marketing/sales promotion versus a C&A benefit.

If someone is a D+, and has all those credits with a history of booking a inside, what's the chance they will book a suite in the future?

But if you are a newbie,(Gold) and fit a certain demographic, you may be somebody they may want to target?

By the way, our last 5 cruises have been in a GS.

Like they say, "Once you've tried it, you'll never go back"

But then, that's all supposition IMO.

So the Diamonds got cheap wine and strange trail mix. And the D+s got free drinks and munchies. Just confirming the reality that its not the 'crowding' in the lounge but the cost of free drinks consumed by the many Diamond members.

Well, distinction amongst the levels should be there don't you think:confused:

It is both crowding and cost. A while ago somebody figured out how much money those dinky little pillow chocolotes saved them, you can only begin to guess how much alcohol could cost!!!

It normally takes a week after you have disembarked the ship for your details to be updated.

We returned from the December 27th cruise on Enchantment on January 8. Our credits were added and our cruise history/completed cruises were updated by January 14.

It normally takes a week after you have disembarked the ship for your details to be updated.

We returned from the December 27th cruise on Enchantment on January 8. Our credits were added and our cruise history/completed cruises were updated by January 14.

Interesting. In my case we got off the Majesty on January 10th. My cruise history (and my wife's) were updated yesterday. But my cruise credit total is not counting it yet, although it is in the credit column on my history. I'm figuring it's a seperate program that calculates and updates the total and hasn't been run yet.

What I don't like in the cruise world in general is this "Hierachy" of cruisers.

While I might not be able to afford enough cruises to become a platinum member or higher, I would like to enjoy the "perks" and not feel like I'm just a ship rat among the upper crust.

I never felt that way when I was cruising, and I have done different lines so many of the times I am only on my first/second cruise on a line. My last cruise got me diamond, which I haven't been able to use yet (or even have updated yet). There are some nice perks, but some of the best ones you never see (the balcony discount, for example)

I have to admit they ARE adding in more "in your face" perks, but those are more for suites then anything else (all the new reserved spaces at pool, theatre, etc)

On most "normal" cruises there really are not THAT many D+ types on board. It's specific cruises that really have them crowded (off-season, esp transatlantic types it seems)

A few perks for those who who have cruised a lot are not bad though, so long as it is not overdone those who HAVE spent the time and money should get some reward out of it. (Heck, you are only 2 cruises from platiunum yourself, and that is assuming you have not done a JR Suite or 12+ day cruise).

I have to admit they ARE adding in more "in your face" perks, but those are more for suites then anything else (all the new reserved spaces at pool, theatre, etc)

On most "normal" cruises there really are not THAT many D+ types on board. It's specific cruises that really have them crowded (off-season, esp transatlantic types it seems)

Although this goes both ways. Yes, some suite perks are 'in your face' as they say but many D and D+ cruisers have roped off area's just for them. The D breaksfast in the MDR. Due to the anmount of D cruisers, public lounges are closed to the GP and opened for D and D+ only when overflow space is needed.

And, did anybody notice the infamous 'sign' with the new levels? Did not say priority boarding for suite guests. Just Pl on up!!:p

Interesting. In my case we got off the Majesty on January 10th. My cruise history (and my wife's) were updated yesterday. But my cruise credit total is not counting it yet, although it is in the credit column on my history. I'm figuring it's a seperate program that calculates and updates the total and hasn't been run yet.
I'm in the exact same situation, so I called C&A. Normally I wouldn't care, but I do care with the changes in process. The very nice person I spoke with said that it would probably take a few more days for the new D status to show as the databases aren't automatically linked, even though the 1/7 Majesty cruise had already posted as the 10th credit.

Les

Although this goes both ways. Yes, some suite perks are 'in your face' as they say but many D and D+ cruisers have roped off area's just for them. The D breaksfast in the MDR. Due to the anmount of D cruisers, public lounges are closed to the GP and opened for D and D+ only when overflow space is needed.

And, did anybody notice the infamous 'sign' with the new levels? Did not say priority boarding for suite guests. Just Pl on up!!:p

When we boarded in Baltimore there were two signs...........the one that was posted about the new levels and then one for Suite Guests.

Do not worry there would have been another sign showing a checkin area for Suite Guests, that sign just indicated the check in area for C&A members. People just need to be a bit more patient, I am sure that further and official information will be released soon.

...................And, did anybody notice the infamous 'sign' with the new levels? Did not say priority boarding for suite guests. Just Pl on up!!:p

Archived