should you carry your passport with you

animallovers2

You will get people arguing for each sie of this issue. Personnally, I leave the passport on the ship locked in the safe unless it is required ashore or I will need it. I do not know of other cruise lines, but Princess will get your passport from the safe and give it to their port agent if you are missing the ship.

This topic comes up easily once a week.

On some ships they actually hold your passport on the ship.

We never take our passport in port. We feel that the likelihood of it being lost or stolen is far greater than the benefit of having it with us.

We do make a copy of it so if we needed to get a new one it would help facilitate getting one.

You will see that some will differ.

Our only exception is the few ports around the world where we were required to carry it.

Keith

If given the option, I believe that you should have your passport with you when in port......there's LOTS of disagreement on this issue. I think it's like insurance in case something unexpected and unpleasant happens; I wouldn't travel to a foreign country without medical insurance, and I feel the same way about a passport. Probably you'll never need it, but the cost of not having it if you do need it could be huge. You can carry it in any safe, hidden way you choose (inside pocket, money belt, around your neck, etc.)

For some reason, from reading these boards, it seems that most of the posters who recommend not carrying their passport are American and most posters who wouldn't consider choosing to leave it behind are not American, and I'm not sure why. Not that it really matters, I just find it interesting.

do you take your passport with you while in port. I would rather leave it on the ship but what if something happens, miss the ship,injury,etc. what do you do if you don't have it and something happens? if you take it , is there a safe, dry way to carry it. thanks

there are two schools of thought.

One is you take it with you everywhere, just make sure it is secure.

the other is to only carry a color copy of the important bits.

We personally do the former.

Many Americans feel that way because we don't carry it with us as often as those from other countries do.

Again, keep in mind that several cruise lines hold the passport such as the one you will be going on in a few months.

Keith

I am the exception that proves the rule heheh. Mine is in my purse at all times. of course it is also the only form of ID I have( No driver's license) that is universally recognized and accepted. My Military ID is not always accepted as there is no address on it.

As was mentioned, this issue comes up on CC quite often and it does seem to inflame some passions. Based on over forty years of international travel I would offer this advice. The risk of carrying your passport is that you will lose it or it will be stolen (pickpockets are good). If you are comfortable taking that risk and want to carry your passport then do it. For my perspective my Passport is the most important item I carry when traveling since losing it can mean delays, extra days in a foreign country at my own expense, changing travel plans (at my expense) etc. Trust me that replacing a lost Passport while on a trip is a major hassle and can end up costing you thousands of dollars. Accordingly, we only carry our Passport when it is necessary (this is unusual in most countries) and prefer to keep it in a very secure location when on cruises or in hotels. We do subscribe to the idea of carrying a photocopy of one's main passport page.

One further issue is that many cruise lines will take your Passport at embarkation and not return it until near the end of your cruise. This is often necessary for the ship to be cleared by some countries (they send officials onboard who examine all passports). But for those that really want their passport they can request it be returned. Sometimes this can mean you have to wait on the ship for a period of time after docking if all the Passports are in process of being reviewed by the local authorities. We actually talked to a couple on our last cruise (went to 13 countries) who ruined their port day because they were paranoid about not leaving the ship without their Passports. They had to wait until nearly 11am (we had docked at 8) until they could get their Passports back...and ended up missing their tour.

Hank

None of the Caribbean countries require a passport from cruise passengers. you may leave it on the ship.

If you miss the ship in a foreign port and have to fly back to the US you are going to wish you had that passport with you. I carry mine.

If you miss the ship in a foreign port and have to fly back to the US you are going to wish you had that passport with you. I carry mine.

OK so if you have your passport with you and lose it or it is stolen then you have the same issue.

This is why I usually say it comes down to what is more likely you lose or have it stolen or you miss the ship.

I know for me it would be having it lost or stolen.

And this is why I posted at the very beginning that there will not be consensus on this issue.

Keith

This is the best argument for carrying a Passport. However, there is an alternative. Whenever you leave the ship you should have the name and phone number of the ship's local agent (this is always given to passengers in the daily schedule or some other document). If you realize you are going to miss the ship you should immedately contact the agent. The ships staff will retreive your Passport (most keep them in their cabin safe) and leave it with the agent so you can pick it up. In addition, we now ask Guest Relations if the ship has a local phone number. Sometimes they will give us a cell number (so we can call the ship) and other times they say no.

In over 35 years of cruising (more then 2 1/2 years on ships) we have met nobody who missed the ship and got stuck without their passport (the 2 couples we know who did miss ships got their passports through the local agent). However, we have met several folks who either lost or had their passport stolen while ashore. One of these couples actually had to spend 2 extra days in Rome (at their own expense) and pay over $1000 to have their airline reservations modifyed while they spent 2 days going through the US Embassy procedures to replace their passports. We know another couple who had their passports stolen while they were swimming in St Thomas (no reason to take a passport off the ship here). Fortunately they were able to get back home on the ship without their passport (the cruise line was able to make arrangements with Immigration).

Our most recent example shows us again how things can happen. This past April (while on a long Prinsendam Cruise) we had a port day in Constanta, Romania. We were walking in town with our friends (another American couple) when our friend stopped to chat with a local man. Within seconds both of them were wrestling on the ground (on the main street in daylight) as the Romanian "thug" tried to steal our friends fanny pack. Fortunately our friend (Larry) was able to fight-off the mugger (as we came running to the rescue) and we managed to scare off the mugger and his 2 friends. Inside the fanny pack were our friends 2 passports and one can only imagine the hassles if Bill had not beat off this robbery attempt. The funny thing was that Larry managed to tear off the coat of his attacker (which we later tossed in a trash can) but the scuffle broke Larry's camera. This became big onboard news on the Prinsendam since it turned out that several other people later had their pockets picked (we think by these same 3 thugs).

Hank

Once we get on the ship -- for most of our cruises -- the passports go into the safe. I carry in my purse the color photo copies.

In the Med and Baltic we have had to turn in our passports for the cruises.

I always make certain that before we leave the ship, I have a copy of the ship's agent information for that port.

This is the best argument for carrying a Passport. However, there is an alternative. Whenever you leave the ship you should have the name and phone number of the ship's local agent (this is always given to passengers in the daily schedule or some other document). If you realize you are going to miss the ship you should immedately contact the agent. The ships staff will retreive your Passport (most keep them in their cabin safe) and leave it with the agent so you can pick it up. In addition, we now ask Guest Relations if the ship has a local phone number. Sometimes they will give us a cell number (so we can call the ship) and other times they say no.

In over 35 years of cruising (more then 2 1/2 years on ships) we have met nobody who missed the ship and got stuck without their passport (the 2 couples we know who did miss ships got their passports through the local agent). However, we have met several folks who either lost or had their passport stolen while ashore. One of these couples actually had to spend 2 extra days in Rome (at their own expense) and pay over $1000 to have their airline reservations modifyed while they spent 2 days going through the US Embassy procedures to replace their passports. We know another couple who had their passports stolen while they were swimming in St Thomas (no reason to take a passport off the ship here). Fortunately they were able to get back home on the ship without their passport (the cruise line was able to make arrangements with Immigration).

Our most recent example shows us again how things can happen. This past April (while on a long Prinsendam Cruise) we had a port day in Constanta, Romania. We were walking in town with our friends (another American couple) when our friend stopped to chat with a local man. Within seconds both of them were wrestling on the ground (on the main street in daylight) as the Romanian "thug" tried to steal our friends fanny pack. Fortunately our friend (Larry) was able to fight-off the mugger (as we came running to the rescue) and we managed to scare off the mugger and his 2 friends. Inside the fanny pack were our friends 2 passports and one can only imagine the hassles if Bill had not beat off this robbery attempt. The funny thing was that Larry managed to tear off the coat of his attacker (which we later tossed in a trash can) but the scuffle broke Larry's camera. This became big onboard news on the Prinsendam since it turned out that several other people later had their pockets picked (we think by these same 3 thugs).

Hank

Hank, I agree with you! This is a really good summary of the reasons I leave my passport on the ship.

It comes down to weighing the risk of loss/damage/theft vs the risk of being stranded unexpectedly ashore.

I have PP book and PP card, and if going to a beach or active excursion, I usually leave the book in the safe and take the card. Aside from the risk of theft, the PP book is bulky to carry and vulnerable to water damage. The PP card isn't. If I was going on a bus tour in town I might take the book and leave the card in the safe.

There is still value in having a PP book on the ship as you covered against eventualities such as:

-illness developed on the ship and needing to fly home

-emergency back home requiring you to terminate the cruise early

-emergency in port as long as you (or the ship's agent) can get to your book before the ship sails

In over 35 years of cruising (more then 2 1/2 years on ships) we have met nobody who missed the ship and got stuck without their passport (the 2 couples we know who did miss ships got their passports through the local agent). However, we have met several folks who either lost or had their passport stolen while ashore.

I think there is a better case for keeping your passport on the ship when A) you are not required to bring it ashore and B) you will definitely need your passport to fly back to the US (say, after a European cruise). The risk of theft/damage is several times higher than the risk of being stranded unexpectedly ashore, and if you know that you will definitely need a passport to get home, it makes little sense to carry it ashore. You are running a much higher risk of being unable to get home without a passport after the cruise.

OTOH, if you do not need a passport to fly home (say, on a Caribbean cruise from a US port), and you have backup ID on the ship (say, DL/BC or PP card), then depending on what you will be doing, you can make a case that taking the PP book covers you against being stranded ashore unexpectedly, with hedged downside against theft/loss, since you won't need the PP to get home.

do you take your passport with you while in port. I would rather leave it on the ship but what if something happens, miss the ship,injury,etc. what do you do if you don't have it and something happens? if you take it , is there a safe, dry way to carry it. thanks

I bought my passport to USE it for the purpose for which it is intended: to identify me as a citizen of (in this case,) the U.S. I take it with me. I leave a copy of it in my safe, another copy in my luggage, and a copy at home with the trusted folks who take care of my house (and a copy with my travel agent) should I lose the passport, or it gets stolen.

Yes, if you leave it on the ship, someone will retrieve it should you miss the ship. But if you are in an accident, unconscious, otherwise incapacitated....it may be awhile before a connection is made between a passenger missing a ship and you, and you get reconnected with it.

If you are in any sort of emergency, your passport will be even more valuable -- services to assist you will be greatly expedited.

All that makes it worth the "risk" of taking it off the ship.

This is why I usually say it comes down to what is more likely you lose or have it stolen or you miss the ship.

A good way to look at it.....life is a cost:benefit question. I'd say the risk is greater for missing the ship.

Also.......it's not just the risk of being stranded because you missed the ship; it's also about needing a passport if you are injured or the victim of a crime (yes, you could be the victim of a crime where your passport wouldn't be stolen, or even attempted to be stolen). Although, I guess those are other reasons why you might have missed the ship, LOL. Reading these forums people think they'll never miss the ship because they plan ahead, etc., but something like a traffic accident could land you in the hospital with a concussion and broken leg, for instance - something you can't plan for.

A good way to look at it.....life is a cost:benefit question. I'd say the risk is greater for missing the ship.

Well you will be on the same ship that I sail on regularly and they will hold your passports.

I base my view on having sailed on over 60 cruises across many cruise lines and I know of maybe five people who have missed the ship in all those years and I am rounding up. I know of many many more who have had items such as wallets, purses and watches stolen on those same cruises.

We error on the cautious side in what we do.

Keith

If given the option, I believe that you should have your passport with you when in port......there's LOTS of disagreement on this issue. I think it's like insurance in case something unexpected and unpleasant happens; I wouldn't travel to a foreign country without medical insurance, and I feel the same way about a passport. Probably you'll never need it, but the cost of not having it if you do need it could be huge. You can carry it in any safe, hidden way you choose (inside pocket, money belt, around your neck, etc.)

For some reason, from reading these boards, it seems that most of the posters who recommend not carrying their passport are American and most posters who wouldn't consider choosing to leave it behind are not American, and I'm not sure why. Not that it really matters, I just find it interesting.

Perhaps Europeans are used to crossing borders more frequently; 85% of British people have passports- I only know of 2 households, of elderly people, who don't have one these days-so it's usually in a wallet or pocket, like a driving licence....I've just checked, and both mine and my OH's are still in my handbag from our last trip (now being locked away by OH as I write!!!:rolleyes:).

But I don't know of anyone who'd carry one to a beach, nor anywhere near port- notorious places for having them stolen. Ports have always been places for criminals to hang around, for centuries, and certain ports are known to have gangs on the look out for a passport. I never, ever take mine off a ship, unless the captain says it will be needed- Croatia, Amsterdam and Egypt were the last places.

The passport copy is what one cruise line told us to take- with your passport number and place of issue, the consulate can verify enough for a temporary passport.

Jo.

The majority of posters on CruiseCritic are very clear regarding this issue. Do not take your passport with you unless it is required (the cruise line would notify you if this is a requirement of the country you are visiting). Take a color copy of your passport.

U.S. passports in particular are worth thousands of dollars on the black market. This is a valuable document that does not need to accompany you off of the ship 99% of the time. Also recommend that you keep a copies of your passport in your luggage.

When you depart the ship, make sure you have emergency phone numbers with you (port authority, ship, etc.) If an emergency happens when on shore, you can contact the authorities and they can make sure your passport is left for you.

Archived