Compensation for change of itinerary/

Bekachan

Hi. I am just putting this out there...

We set sail tomorrow on the Carribbean Princess which was set to go to Bermuda. In fact, it was called the "Bermuda Sampler." Due to the hurricane, we are changing routes and heading north to Halifax which is a far cry from Bermuda (and also 30 degrees cooler). While safety is clearly the concern here, I am just curious if Princess/Carnival will compensate us in some way...

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!

Checking the contract you will find right to change ports embedded in there. I had that happen once due to a Hurricane was suppose to go Eastern had to go Western. No comp. I rather be safe and not sea sick than taking a risk while getting seasick trying to get to a port I would not be able to enjoy.

It's a long stretch that they would divert to Halifax from Bermuda. Either another port down south or keep you at sea in warm waters. Port charges will be refunded as will the cost of any shore excursions that you booked through the cruise line. If you have booked any privately that will be left to you to sort out with the tour operator or your travel insurance company.

Sorry to hear that. Don't plan on getting anything as compensation. Princess doesn't care about anything other than money. I am sure that more reputable cruise lines would offer something to its customers in this situation.

It's a long stretch that they would divert to Halifax from Bermuda. Either another port down south or keep you at sea in warm waters. Port charges will be refunded as will the cost of any shore excursions that you booked through the cruise line. If you have booked any privately that will be left to you to sort out with the tour operator or your travel insurance company.

Princess has already told us we are not going to Bermuda, but headed north. I wish they would just cancel. this will be the cruise from 'you know where". If we don't hit the storm on the way out we will surely hit it on the way back. :(

Hi. I am just putting this out there...

We set sail tomorrow on the Carribbean Princess which was set to go to Bermuda. In fact, it was called the "Bermuda Sampler." Due to the hurricane, we are changing routes and heading north to Halifax which is a far cry from Bermuda (and also 30 degrees cooler). While safety is clearly the concern here, I am just curious if Princess/Carnival will compensate us in some way...

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!

It must be very disappointing for you expecting the warm sun.Looking out of my window today grey clouds and rain under 10 C I only wish I could whisk away to a beautiful warm Paradise.

No one can be blamed for an'Act of Nature' unfortunate as it is for yourself.

As others have mentioned Port Charges and Onshore Excursions will be refunded.

I do emphathize with you but Mother Nature does play some mean tricks sometimes.

Sorry to hear that. Don't plan on getting anything as compensation. Princess doesn't care about anything other than money. I am sure that more reputable cruise lines would offer something to its customers in this situation.
I wouldn't bet on that happening.

Ask yourself, would you rather go to Halifax or sit in the middle of the ocean bobbing around like a cork never reaching Bermuda because the port was shut down.

Kind of a snarky comment, eh?

The OP made it a point of referring to safety. They were not challenging the decision in any way, but simply asking a logical question...

The cruise was being promoted as a "Bermuda Sampler." One would reasonably assume (though perhaps incorrectly) that Carnival/Princess would offer some form of discount on a future cruise to promote good will.

If this were not done, first time cruisers on Princess might very well say to themselves, "I would at least be offered something on ______ Cruise Line so I will take my business there."

OP, excellent question and I hope Carnival is listening and understands that customer satisfaction is tremendously important!

Kind of a snarky comment, eh?

The OP made it a point of referring to safety. They were not challenging the decision in any way, but simply asking a logical question...

The cruise was being promoted as a "Bermuda Sampler." One would reasonably assume (though perhaps incorrectly) that Carnival/Princess would offer some form of discount on a future cruise to promote good will.

If this were not done, first time cruisers on Princess might very well say to themselves, "I would at least be offered something on ______ Cruise Line so I will take my business there."

OP, excellent question and I hope Carnival is listening and understands that customer satisfaction is tremendously important!

Not really- truthful is more like it. We've been on enough cruises to realize that a change of itinerary is necessary for lots of different reasons and that compensation shouldn't be expected. The cruise line has the right to change the itinerary anytime they deem it necessary.

The OP has the option of staying home or going to a different port and making the best of it with compensation is the last thing Princess should will probably do. After all they're still receiving a cruise.

Princess cares about their passengers, crew and ships.......and they are a whole lot smarter about making decisions of safety than their passengers........thankfully~~

Princess has already told us we are not going to Bermuda, but headed north. I wish they would just cancel. this will be the cruise from 'you know where". If we don't hit the storm on the way out we will surely hit it on the way back. :(

In all probability,you are right.:(

It is people like you who give these boards a bad name. If you do not like Princess, please feel free to go elsewhere. You will find that all cruiselines have the same policy with regard to itinerary changes. The cruiselines have nothing to do with the weather.... :eek:

To the OP, as many have said on the boards, the only thing you may get is a port refund. As stated above, cruiselines have no control over the weather. The language is stated in the contract.

If you have "cancel for any reason" insurance, you can cancel it...

It seems to me that people who immediately bring up the word "compensation" when something doesn't go as planned also have a high interest in money. I doubt that any other cruise line would treat this differently. I would like to know what cruise lines are more reputable than Princess. A few years ago we were on a TA on the NCL Sun from Dover to Port Canaveral with only two ports scheduled - Lisbon and Punta Delgada. We had to skip Punta Delgada, because a hurricane was headed directly to the island. Once on the Emerald Princess we missed stopping in Dover due to high winds. There was no mention of compensation on either of those cruises.

Itineraries change, ports are changed or canceled all the time, even when it's not hurricane season. But it is hurricane season and will be for more than a month.

If you're not happy with the change or are concerned, cancel. That's what insurance is for. If you want to cancel and don't have insurance "cancel for any reason," that was your choice and gamble.

Sometimes, a cruise can be more of an adventure than originally planned. When it comes to Mother Nature, there are no guarantees.

Some people paid good money to see Halifax on Canada New England route recently, so it is not like going to hell . But I can totally understand wanting sun and warm weather, but that is the key word: weather! Add mother nature , Carribean and fall to that and you get quite a good definition of no garantee;).

I really wish that for you it will be like the party that we didn't want to go to gets to be the one we have more fun at ! P.s. If you like pewter and crystal, there are unique things to get in Halifax;)

First - I have been there! I have had cruises change ports/cancelled due to hurricanes and have cruised in snowy/white out weather conditions along with having a cruise where it poured the entire time - I get it. I have been there.

But - this is not the cruise lines fault and they should not have to reimburse people due to "mother nature". They are still going to provide a cabin, food, entertainment, etc.....

This is not Princess's fault. Why should they (Princess) have to take a financial hit and reimburse people because of bad weather?

I never thought to even consider asking Princess to reimburse me for my bad weather cruises. I stayed in NYC during some really bad weather. I didn't ask the hotel to not charge me or give me a discount as I didn't get to see some of the sites I wanted to.

Last September we were on a 17 day Hawaii cruise on HAL. Due to weather & tides we had to miss two ports and the Captain announced that HAL was throwing a Lido deck BBQ with an open bar for a couple of hours.

We felt it was a nice gesture.

Port charges were refunded.

Rockfan2

We were booked on a 7 night RCCL cruise in August, and due to a large tropical storm, Port Everglades was closed on the day we were supposed to embark. The ship stayed out to sea for two extra days, so those on the previous cruise got two extra days, and those of us on the next cruise got a 5 day cruise instead of 7. We spent those two days in a hotel room during torrential downpours, reading magazines and trying to watch TV (when the cable was was working). RCCL gave us a refund that was approximately what we paid for 2 days, and promised a certificate for 10% of what we paid to be used on a future cruise would be mailed. I was satisfied. I felt the offer was fair, but not generous (I wasn't planning to take another RCCL cruise in the future). I did think that it would have been nice to offer everyone a couple of drink vouchers. Rockfan2's comments about HAL offering a BBQ with an open bar for a couple of hours sounds to me like a very nice gesture - and they only missed two ports, we missed two days.

First - I have been there! I have had cruises change ports/cancelled due to hurricanes and have cruised in snowy/white out weather conditions along with having a cruise where it poured the entire time - I get it. I have been there.

But - this is not the cruise lines fault and they should not have to reimburse people due to "mother nature". They are still going to provide a cabin, food, entertainment, etc.....

This is not Princess's fault. Why should they (Princess) have to take a financial hit and reimburse people because of bad weather?

I never thought to even consider asking Princess to reimburse me for my bad weather cruises. I stayed in NYC during some really bad weather. I didn't ask the hotel to not charge me or give me a discount as I didn't get to see some of the sites I wanted to.

You go, girl! I agree with you 100%.

Archived