Compensation for change of itinerary/

Bekachan

Sorry to hear that. Don't plan on getting anything as compensation. Princess doesn't care about anything other than money. I am sure that more reputable cruise lines would offer something to its customers in this situation.

Nope, this is a provision in all cruise contracts. I was on a Carnival cruise that had all three ports rerouted. People sat in the lobby screaming about it, conveniently neglecting the three hurricanes in the Carribean that week. The captain kept us safe and with great weather, but those people didn't care; they thought that by screaming, they'd get something. They didn't.

I'm on the cruise tomorrow. My wife and I are going to make the best of it. Hopefully, we won't rock too much, and the food will still be good. The shows will still be good. Some of the hot tubs will still be open. Why complain about something no one can control?

You are undoubtedly a Princess Fan who has ignored the marketing ploy of a "Bermuda Sampler."

How can it be a Bermuda Sampler without a stop in Bermuda???

I "get" the marketing but there are NEVER any guarantees and if you're going to book a cruise during hurricane season, Mother Nature has more to say about where the ship is cruising, if at all, than Princess. If you don't like the revised itinerary, cancel.

You are undoubtedly a Princess Fan who has ignored the marketing ploy of a "Bermuda Sampler."

Would you rather go to Bermuda under these circumstances? It would be morally wrong for a Captain to steer the ship towards this storm. I can only imagine the lawsuits if he did so and risked people's lives.

Please remember - approx 40 people have died due to this storm. There is potential for a lot more damage (and possible lives) to occur in the next few days. Missing a day in Bermuda is small compared to what people will lose.

Itineraries change, ports are changed or canceled all the time, even when it's not hurricane season. But it is hurricane season and will be for more than a month.

If you're not happy with the change or are concerned, cancel. That's what insurance is for. If you want to cancel and don't have insurance "cancel for any reason," that was your choice and gamble.

Sometimes, a cruise can be more of an adventure than originally planned. When it comes to Mother Nature, there are no guarantees.

Totally agree.

And why are you saying we are going to Halifax??????????

WHo told you that?

I am so tired of people saying things that they think will happen when they have no idea. The will decide when Sandy gets closer. And yes it could very well be Halifax BUT don't say things that you don't know.

We are on the ship and staying for the next two cruises and have been told we will find out tomorrow where we are going.

I "get" the marketing but there are NEVER any guarantees and if you're going to book a cruise during hurricane season, Mother Nature has more to say about where the ship is cruising, if at all, than Princess. If you don't like the revised itinerary, cancel.

I agree with you Pam. There is also absolutely no reason for some of the posters to exhibit bad behavior on this thread... Just because they can... It also seems to me that the only people behaving badly on this thread are the ones who never seem to sail with Princess in the first place.

Yes, I am a Princess fan, and that is because Princess offers far superior service and food than Carnival does... among other things...

As for the weather, that cannot be controlled by a cruiseline... There is no reason for any compensation being given since this is out of Princess's control, and the passengers will still be enjoying their nice cabin, having great food and will be entertained...

You just have to make the best out of circumstances, which some people seem unable to do.

Once cruising out of Galveston in December we boarded as scheduled in fog but could not leave the port for two days. Disappointing...yes. We were looking forward to warm weather and sunny skys. But, we made the best of it. We were on a beautiful ship, enjoyed great dinners, good shows and relaxed enjoying the ship.

Lots of passengers were upset and let it ruin their vacation. Best advice in these situations is to relax and make the best of it.

Eventually the fog lifted and we set sail. We did miss one port I was looking forward to and were refunded the port fees. In the end, it was still a wonderful vacation.

Totally agree.

And why are you saying we are going to Halifax??????????

WHo told you that?

I am so tired of people saying things that they think will happen when they have no idea. The will decide when Sandy gets closer. And yes it could very well be Halifax BUT don't say things that you don't know.

We are on the ship and staying for the next two cruises and have been told we will find out tomorrow where we are going.

Here's why we're all saying Halifax-

1. We all got emails saying that Princess is going to decide if we're going to a port in the north. Going south is impossible for this cruise.

2. The ports that are north of Brooklyn within the range of the four day cruise are Boston, Newport, Bar Harbor, and Halifax.

3. Boston, Newport, and Bar Harbor are looking like places that are possibly going to be hit by the storm.

4. Halifax, thus, is the most likely candidate.

No one's SAID we're going to Halifax. At this junction, though, it's probably the most likely port. It's just as likely we'll get three days at sea, and it's just as likely that something else could happen.

I am not a maritime sailor, nor do I play one on TV.

Hmmmm....let's see. This itinerary was published at least a year and a half ago. I'm pretty sure nobody at Princess had a crystal ball that said that there would be a hurricane blowing through the area during this cruise. So why would it be a "marketing ploy"?? :rolleyes:

Here's why we're all saying Halifax-

2. The ports that are north of Brooklyn within the range of the four day cruise are Boston, Newport, Bar Harbor, and Halifax.

3. Boston, Newport, and Bar Harbor are looking like places that are possibly going to be hit by the storm.

Halifax is the only legal possibility.

USA law requires the ship to stop at a foreign port if there is any port at all. Therefore, with only one port possible, the USA ports mentioned are not allowed.

However, even if the ship did go to Halifax, the trip back to NYC would mostly be through the storm.

When Princess changed the Mexican Riviera cruises a couple of years ago to head north to Canada instead due to flu concerns, didn't Princess allow cancellation at no penalty? Or was it go to Canada or lose your cruise fare if you cancelled?

When Princess changed the Mexican Riviera cruises a couple of years ago to head north to Canada instead due to flu concerns, didn't Princess allow cancellation at no penalty? Or was it go to Canada or lose your cruise fare if you cancelled?
Bill, I don't remember. I know that the Sapphire had already sailed to Puerto Vallarta when it had to turn around. But that situation was different, a health advisory and once that was issued, the ship was able to set a definite itinerary for at least the next couple of cruises. In this case, Sandy's path is forecast and according to sources I've been reading, it's too early to know exactly if or when the ships will be able to get into or depart NY.

The bottom line is that if you choose to cruise anywhere in the Caribbean or Atlantic during hurricane season, smart people make sure they have cancel for any reason insurance. It's always a gamble whether you're cruising Princess, HAL, RCCL, Carnival, Celebrity, etc. Just look at all the changes Carnival, HAL and RCCL have had to make due to Sandy. HAL's Eurodam passengers are disembarking in Jacksonville tomorrow instead of FLL and all passengers, both arriving and departing, are being bused for four hours. There are going to be a lot of grumpy people blaming HAL for the inconvenience.

And you'd better believe that that ship will not go back to any US port before going to that distant port first under any circumstances. We were in a similar situation in 1991 and we rode it out at sea rather than taking shelter at a US port. We couldn't reach our first destination due to the port being closed and there was no other option.

Can someone explain that move? :confused:

http://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/Hurricane-Sandy-Updates.html#.UIvN6zlpJUQ

Caribbean Princess

Voyage B237

4-day cruise

Updated as of October 26, 2012 at 10pm PDT

We look forward to welcoming our passengers onboard Saturday. As we previously communicated, we made the decision to cancel our call to Bermuda to avoid the worst of the storm with predicted strong winds and high swells. While we make every effort to sail our itineraries as originally planned, the safety and security of our passengers and crew is our highest priority and this decision, while disappointing, is necessary.

We currently expect that we will enjoy a call to Boston, Massachusetts during this cruise. The exact timing of our call will be confirmed once passengers are onboard and is dependent upon weather conditions. The Shore Excursions team will have information on tour descriptions, times, and prices available at the Shore Excursions Desk once the timing of the call is determined.

For those who purchased Princess Vacation Protection and would like to review their options, please contact your travel agent or Princess for additional information. We have limited availability on other ships and itineraries.

For those passengers who are driving to the pier, we have been advised that the parking area at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is prone to flooding. For our passengers who were planning to drive and park at the pier, it is strongly recommended that instead of parking at the pier you make alternative arrangements.

We will continue to provide updates on Princess.com as more information becomes available.

And it turns out we're going to Boston after all. So I was wrong.

I am surprised also. I would prefer Halifax to Boston. I would expect they would choose a foreign port. They must not need to in times of weather crisis.

The wise business decision would be to give passengers the option to cancel without penalty. I was on the Sapphire a few years ago when the swine flu saga occurred, and we were refunded half of our cruise fare as a future cruise credit for missing all the Mexican ports. I know people will jump up and down and claim that per the cruise contract, Princess owes these folks squat. But remember, you catch more flies with honey versus vinegar...

Tony

Sorry to hear that. Don't plan on getting anything as compensation. Princess doesn't care about anything other than money. I am sure that more reputable cruise lines would offer something to its customers in this situation.

RCI is offering a full refund for canceling the Baltimore departure of the Enchantment, which was scheduled to stop in Bermuda but will spend the time at sea, instead. RCI also offers $300 OBC and possible upgrade for staying.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1728895

Quote )The bottom line is that if you choose to cruise anywhere in the Caribbean or Atlantic during hurricane season, smart people make sure they have cancel for any reason insurance. It's always a gamble whether you're cruising Princess, HAL, RCCL, Carnival, Celebrity, etc. Just look at all the changes Carnival, HAL and RCCL have had to make due to Sandy. HAL's Eurodam passengers are disembarking in Jacksonville tomorrow instead of FLL and all passengers, both arriving and departing, are being bused for four hours. There are going to be a lot of grumpy people blaming HAL for the inconvenience.

Unfortunately cancel for any reason insurance doesn't seem to be available in the UK. I would be interested if anyone knows different for future reference.

Quote )The bottom line is that if you choose to cruise anywhere in the Caribbean or Atlantic during hurricane season, smart people make sure they have cancel for any reason insurance..

I've never heard of cancel for any reason insurance. Who sells it and how much more expensive is it?

I am surprised also. I would prefer Halifax to Boston. I would expect they would choose a foreign port. They must not need to in times of weather crisis.

Interesting. They made us suffer for two days years ago & would not change course.

I've never heard of cancel for any reason insurance. Who sells it and how much more expensive is it?

The comments in quotes in my earlier post were originally posted by Pam. Sorry I tried to highlight part of her post and in doing so it unhighlighted the rest of it. Technology is not my strongpoint!

Archived