Compensation for change of itinerary/

Bekachan

A couple of yaers ago an earthquake in Chile kept passengers from arriving for the cruise (airport was opened, but no airlines were flying in).

see the discussion at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1160991

On that occasion, departing passengers could not leave because of the closed airport. They stayed on the ship (at a reduced rate) until the ship reached another port with a good airport nearby.

We were on that cruise and did take up the Princess offer to stay on the ship until she returned to Buenos Aires but only about 400 did that. The other 2,200 or so disembarked and got home one way or another.

The airport was closed to international departures/arrivals for six days after the earthquake which meant that departing passengers had to wait at least three days to get a flight out or make other arrangements.

About 800 passengers made it to the ship for the next cruise by other means so 1,200 passengers were on the Star when she finally departed Valpariaso.

The bottom line is that if you choose to cruise anywhere in the Caribbean or Atlantic during hurricane season, smart people make sure they have cancel for any reason insurance. It's always a gamble whether you're cruising Princess, HAL, RCCL, Carnival, Celebrity, etc.

It has been pointed out before on these boards that, if your enjoyment of a vacation is predicated on reaching a particular port or ports, it's best to take a land trip and not a cruise. I know that sounds harsh, but it's a fact - a harsh fact. The passenger contract that everyone agrees to as part of completing the cruise personalizer says as much.

Of course it's reasonable to be disappointed, but it's not reasonable to expect compensation over and above the return of prepaid port charges. Princess's "cancel for any reason" insurance is invaluable for just such an event. You can decide that, although the ship is going somewhere, you don't like where it's going and cancel on that basis alone. As has been said, you'd get either 75% or 100% of your cancellation charges to be used on a future cruise.

To expect that same compensation without purchasing the insurance is also unreasonable.

Thanks to both of you for being a voice of reason & for saying what most of us believe is true and don't believe that it's always someone else's fault & that we're entitled to things that we don't deserve.

I've never heard of cancel for any reason insurance. Who sells it and how much more expensive is it?

Not sure if you had your question answered already, but we buy it through Travelex. Check out their website. They have different levels of insurance for different prices, so read carefully. We had to make a claim for medical expenses on a trip in 2011 and they paid very quickly and with no more hassle than a copy of the bill from the cruise line. Fortunately we've never had to cancel a trip, but IMHO it is worth the price for the peace of mind.

Anyone can cancel the cruise; no one is stopping them. If you want a refund or credit, buy insurance.

The situation with this cruise is unique, and rarely happens. Most cruises might have a port or two dropped or missed due to weather, but not complete itinerary changes. No one on my Sapphire cruise asked for compensation for our misfortune of encountering the swine flu scenario. Princess offered what they did as a "goodwill" gesture on their part. We received letters in our cabins stating as much. My point is that goodwill goes a long way, and assures that customers return time and again to the cruiseline.

Obviously folks seem to have an overwhelming need to beat the "cancel for any reason insurance" horse to death.

Tony

And that is precisely the difference between RCCL and Carnival/Princess!quote]

Really :confused: more like Royal had enough of a fiasco with a hurricane last year & doesn't want to be in that "lime lite" this go round...how soon some folks forget...:rolleyes:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/08/stranded-passengers-san-juan-royal-caribbean-hurricane-irene/416548/1

http://www.*****.com/2011/08/25/royal-caribbean-denies-stranding-passengers-san-juan-due-hurricane-irene

The situation with this cruise is unique, and rarely happens. Most cruises might have a port or two dropped or missed due to weather, but not complete itinerary changes. No one on my Sapphire cruise asked for compensation for our misfortune of encountering the swine flu scenario. Princess offered what they did as a "goodwill" gesture on their part. We received letters in our cabins stating as much. My point is that goodwill goes a long way, and assures that customers return time and again to the cruiseline.
u·nique(yoomacr.gif-nemacr.gifkprime.gif)

adj. 1. Being the only one of its kind: the unique existing example of Donne's handwriting.

2. Without an equal or equivalent; unparalleled.

You'd be surprised at how many itinerary changes occur. Plus, during hurricane season, complete itinerary changes are not unusual or rare. They happen more often in the Caribbean but they definitely happen every year. If Princess or the other cruise lines refunded passengers for every itinerary change to keep "good will," they'd be out of business. If you book a cheap cruise during hurricane season, a port or itinerary change is always a good possibility.

No, of course it's not uninhabitable. But passengers who signed up for a cruise to one destination are now being taken to an entirely different destination. I'm sure many people don't care where the ship takes them and I'm sure it'll be a great cruise. But, some people do, in fact, care that they're being taken to an entirely different destination than was originally planned. This isn't the same as missing Montego Bay and going instead to Santo Domingo. It's closer to paying for a cruise to Hawaii and being taken instead to Los Angeles.

Princess made the right decision to keep the ship, crew and passengers safe. If you still want to go to Bermuda cancel and catch a flight there or take the issue up with who controls the weather:D

We have missed ports before and look at it as an excuse to book another cruise to get to the place we missed - life is full of surprises and I'm sure who ever planned this cruise years ago at princess is also surprised the weather is not co-operating!!!

You are undoubtedly a Princess Fan who has ignored the marketing ploy of a "Bermuda Sampler."

How can it be a Bermuda Sampler without a stop in Bermuda???

Reading your other posts you're obviously a RCI & Carnival fan who doesn't like Princess and we try to be objective on the Princess board. :rolleyes:

adj. 1. Being the only one of its kind: the unique existing example of Donne's handwriting.

You'd be surprised at how many itinerary changes occur. Plus, during hurricane season, complete itinerary changes are not unusual or rare.

This cruise is unusual in that it being only four days, can only go to one port, and no matter which direction it goes to will be in the path of the storm (the worst part of the storm in the Boston area will be while the ship is supposed to be there: Monday evening is predicted to have wind gusts of up to 60 MPH, decreasing to 50 MPH after mid-night; 90% chance of rain Tuesday).

Even a four day cruise to nowhere would be in the storm's path much of the time.

Even a four day cruise to nowhere would be in the storm's path much of the time.
I lived on the coast of MA north of Boston during "The Perfect Storm" so I know what it's like. It'll be interesting to see where the ship actually sails. I'm betting nothing is set in stone. I've been following the Boston meteorologists and the latest for Monday is steady winds between 30-50mph. The higher wind gusts are predicted for the south coast, south of Cape Cod, not Boston. But, this can change, depending on the track of the storm.

I haven't read this entire thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before. On occasion Princess does offer compensation for missed ports. We were on a 14 day Hawaii cruise that had to skip two of the four Hawaiian ports of call due to bad weather. Every passenger was given a $250 voucher to use on a future cruise. I thought this was a very nice gesture, since the cruise contract states that no compensation will be given for itinerary changes.

Sorry to hear that. Don't plan on getting anything as compensation. Princess doesn't care about anything other than money. I am sure that more reputable cruise lines would offer something to its customers in this situation.

I'm glad you're a big fan of NCL and are not on Princess any longer. In your 7 posts, you have done nothing but bash Princess and tell people how to avoid the safety drill. While it's your privilege to post on the Princess board, please tell people that you are a disgruntled ex-employee so we may take what you say with a grain of salt.

You'd be surprised at how many itinerary changes occur. Plus, during hurricane season, complete itinerary changes are not unusual or rare. They happen more often in the Caribbean but they definitely happen every year. If Princess or the other cruise lines refunded passengers for every itinerary change to keep "good will," they'd be out of business. If you book a cheap cruise during hurricane season, a port or itinerary change is always a good possibility.

Thank you for taking the time and pulling up vocabulary words and their definitions. Those of us less educated would be lost without your efforts.

I'm not here to argue the facts of what the cruise line contract states, or that itinerary changes occur. The OP asked if there is any compensation for changes to itinerary, and I answered by giving the example of what happened on our Sapphire cruise. Does it happen every time? No. Are there certain situations such as the swine flu, or an unprecedented late season storm that might cause the cruise line to bend the rules in their contract? Yes. It doesn't matter what price someone paid for their cruise for these exceptions to be made. But then again, I'm not the CFO of Princess so I don't fret over the granting of the occasional waiver.

Tony

Reading your other posts you're obviously a RCI & Carnival fan who doesn't like Princess and we try to be objective on the Princess board. :rolleyes:

I'm glad you're a big fan of NCL and are not on Princess any longer. In your 7 posts, you have done nothing but bash Princess and tell people how to avoid the safety drill. While it's your privilege to post on the Princess board, please tell people that you are a disgruntled ex-employee so we may take what you say with a grain of salt.

Very well stated.....:):):)

Bob

Trust me ... you do not want to spend the cruise outrunning a tropical storm.

Look at this experience as an adventure.

I once was a day late returning from cruise because of a storm (plus I missed two ports). I was not charged an extra day ... as a matter of fact we we given a $500 credit toward a future cruise.

Relax ... there is nothing you can do about mother nature.

Princess made the right decision to keep the ship, crew and passengers safe. If you still want to go to Bermuda cancel and catch a flight there or take the issue up with who controls the weather:D

We have missed ports before and look at it as an excuse to book another cruise to get to the place we missed - life is full of surprises and I'm sure who ever planned this cruise years ago at princess is also surprised the weather is not co-operating!!!

I'm not questioning the decision to keep the passengers safe. I was responding to a comment that suggested Princess should permit passengers who have booked a cruise to Bermuda to cancel without penalty when they are being taken instead to Boston. In my opinion, that's the right thing to do.

Would you be okay with paying for a cruise to Hawaii and being taken to Los Angeles? Is the itinerary really just a bonus or is it part of the enticement to book the cruise?

I'm not questioning the decision to keep the passengers safe. I was responding to a comment that suggested Princess should permit passengers who have booked a cruise to Bermuda to cancel without penalty when they are being taken instead to Boston. In my opinion, that's the right thing to do.

Would you be okay with paying for a cruise to Hawaii and being taken to Los Angeles? Is the itinerary really just a bonus or is it part of the enticement to book the cruise?

I agree with this. Visiting various islands in one vacation is the reason I cruise. I live 20 minutes away from Boston, and I'd be devastated if I paid for a cruise to Bermuda and then had the choice of going to Boston on the cruise or losing all my money. Going to Boston on a cruise would not be a vacation for me. I think the passengers should have the choice of cancelling or moving their booking to a future cruise.

Just figured I'd put my two cents in. A few years ago or so my boyfriend and I were scheduled to depart NY for our first Bermuda cruise on Celebrity Cruise Lines. Unfortunately a hurricane hit Bermuda the day before we were scheduled to depart. Even though the hurricane had come and gone, Due to the damage on Bermuda they weren't accepting any ships. So rather than a Bermuda cruise we had a Canada/New England cruise. Not what we signed up for but a cruise none the less. Our TA had given us the heads up the night before so we unpacked our scuba gear and threw in some jeans & sweatshirts and made the best of it. Would we have selected a Canada/ New England itinerary? Nope, though we had a good time, we live in New England. We were not given any credit for a future cruise or any type of refund by Celebrity nor did I expect any. The cruise line ( part of RCI) delivered exactly what the cruise contract stated...a cruise.

I'm not sure why this is even an issue:

Let's look at the facts

1> Princess (as with every line) has a contract that allows them to modify the itinerary of any cruise for any reason without compensation. When you buy a ticket, you agree to this contract. So Princess has no legal obligations here.

2> With that in mind, lets look at their options.

2a> The ship HAS to leave NYC given the weather conditions, no matter who is on it. Staying in dock would be very unsafe.

2b> The ship cannot head south within the current time frame of the planned itinerary (to head to anywhere in the south they would need to shoot out east for several hundred miles, then south, then west. It's not practical, and maybe not possible in 4 days or so, and would not be a fun ride. In addition, in event of emergency, no shoreside support is available.

This means the ship MUST go north, the only question is where. (Given they do have some flexibility here, I might have chosen a Canadian port over Boston, if logistically feasible, but I don't have information on that - there may be other ships in port, etc).

3> So given that Princess has no choice but to go North, as a BUSINESS (people seem to forget the purpose of a cruise line is to make money, not make people whole) what can they do.

3a> They could offer refunds and sail the ship empty and lose a large some of money, meanwhile setting a precedent for future events.

3b> They could sail the ship, let people use the insurance that they hopefully bought cruising in Hurricane season, and suffer less losses. Perhaps on board AFTER DEPARTURE offer a small token compensation (maybe some shopping OBC, or a special event, pick up a special headliner in NYC who is happy to get out of town for 4 days.)

From a business standpoint, this is a no brainer decision. In short, Princess or any other cruise line, from an operational standard, has almost no choice but to do what they are doing. To expect otherwise is simply to deny the reality of operating a business...

I'm not sure why this is even an issue:

Let's look at the facts

1> Princess (as with every line) has a contract that allows them to modify the itinerary of any cruise for any reason without compensation. When you buy a ticket, you agree to this contract. So Princess has no legal obligations here.

2> With that in mind, lets look at their options.

2a> The ship HAS to leave NYC given the weather conditions, no matter who is on it. Staying in dock would be very unsafe.

2b> The ship cannot head south within the current time frame of the planned itinerary (to head to anywhere in the south they would need to shoot out east for several hundred miles, then south, then west. It's not practical, and maybe not possible in 4 days or so, and would not be a fun ride. In addition, in event of emergency, no shoreside support is available.

This means the ship MUST go north, the only question is where. (Given they do have some flexibility here, I might have chosen a Canadian port over Boston, if logistically feasible, but I don't have information on that - there may be other ships in port, etc).

3> So given that Princess has no choice but to go North, as a BUSINESS (people seem to forget the purpose of a cruise line is to make money, not make people whole) what can they do.

3a> They could offer refunds and sail the ship empty and lose a large some of money, meanwhile setting a precedent for future events.

3b> They could sail the ship, let people use the insurance that they hopefully bought cruising in Hurricane season, and suffer less losses. Perhaps on board AFTER DEPARTURE offer a small token compensation (maybe some shopping OBC, or a special event, pick up a special headliner in NYC who is happy to get out of town for 4 days.)

From a business standpoint, this is a no brainer decision. In short, Princess or any other cruise line, from an operational standard, has almost no choice but to do what they are doing. To expect otherwise is simply to deny the reality of operating a business...

Well said.

As another poster noted, if a specific port is your number one priority you're much better off with a land tour. Also, I just wonder how many land tours are going to Bermuda this week either?

Archived