Compensation for change of itinerary/

Bekachan

RCI is offering a full refund for canceling the Baltimore departure of the Enchantment, which was scheduled to stop in Bermuda but will spend the time at sea, instead. RCI also offers $300 OBC and possible upgrade for staying.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1728895

And that is precisely the difference between RCCL and Carnival/Princess!

Boston is hardly Bermuda!

You are undoubtedly a Princess Fan who has ignored the marketing ploy of a "Bermuda Sampler."

How can it be a Bermuda Sampler without a stop in Bermuda???

We took a Greenland /N. Europe TA on the Emerald in September, and we were sorry to have missed Greenland and another port in Norway. But we knew we were sailing in mid September in hurricane season, and we knew that on any cruise you could miss ports. We had our port taxes refunded, and two ports in Canada were substituted. Were we sorry we didn't get to see Greenland? Of course, but we made the best of it, and we surely didn't expect any refund other than port taxes. I'm glad they were able to pick up the Canadian ports, but we would have been just as happy to have more sea days.

I always buy cancel for any reason. It's really not that much more, but it must be purchased within 14 days of booking. Unfortunately, I am usually booking cruises before my wife can guarantee she can get the time off.

Where do u buy it. It isn't from the cruise line is it? We are booking soon so I would love to know?

And that is precisely the difference between RCCL and Carnival/Princess!

Boston is hardly Bermuda!

The difference is that Enchantment of the Seas cannot make any other port because of the hurricane. Caribbean Princess can... Also, it looks like Sandy will make landfall somewhere near Baltimore. I'm sure that was a major factor in RCI's decision... Enchantment may not have a port to come home to...

And you'd better believe that that ship will not go back to any US port before going to that distant port first under any circumstances. We were in a similar situation in 1991 and we rode it out at sea rather than taking shelter at a US port.

Ships are safer at sea during a storm than in port docked.

That is why the navy has sent to sea to ride out the storm all its ships which are based in in Norfork, VA.

Yes, the one I'm aware of that oermits cancel for any reason is the Princess Platinum insurance. Either ask your TA or Princess about it. Good luck!
If you cancel for a non-medical reason with Princess Platinum you receive a cruise credit that must be used by the end of the next year. You don't get cash back. You don't need to pay for the Princess insurance until final payment date however so you don't lose your insurance money if you need to cancel you cruise before then. There are third party insurers but we have not used them and their rules may be different.

I am glad we are going back to Boston.

Weather forecast for Monday in Boston

High: 62

Rain. Patchy fog. Rain may be heavy at times. Very windy with highs in the lower 60s. Northeast winds 25 to 35 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

I believe you have to be platinum status to purchase it from Princess - your TA can get it for you.

Here is info from Princess:

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

Anyone can buy this from Princess or through your TA for a Princess cruise. There are 2 options (Standard and Platinum). If you are Platinum, you get a free upgrade to Platinum level.

Difference in canceling for any reason on the Standard policy gives people 75% future cruise credit and Platinum gives people 100% future cruise credit.

Read the fine print as there are exceptions such as booking on flash prices has a limited insurance policy, etc...

Here is info from Princess:

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

Anyone can buy this from Princess or through your TA for a Princess cruise. There are 2 options (Standard and Platinum). If you are Platinum, you get a free upgrade to Platinum level.

Difference in canceling for any reason on the Standard policy gives people 75% future cruise credit and Platinum gives people 100% future cruise credit.

Read the fine print as there are exceptions such as booking on flash prices has a limited insurance policy, etc...

Coral,

Thanks for the clarification. I buy a different insurance and have never purchased it

Sorry to hear that. Don't plan on getting anything as compensation. Princess doesn't care about anything other than money. I am sure that more reputable cruise lines would offer something to its customers in this situation.

If you hate Princess so much why do you work for them? Or did they fire you and that's why you are so bitter? Just because you have personal issues with your employer (or ex employer) is no reason to make other people as miserable as you with your always negative Princess comments.

The wise business decision would be to give passengers the option to cancel without penalty. I was on the Sapphire a few years ago when the swine flu saga occurred, and we were refunded half of our cruise fare as a future cruise credit for missing all the Mexican ports. I know people will jump up and down and claim that per the cruise contract, Princess owes these folks squat. But remember, you catch more flies with honey versus vinegar...

Tony

Exactly. It's not the passengers' fault, either, that the Bermuda Sampler isn't going to Bermuda at all. That's like booking the NYC Marriott Marquis and when the hotel becomes uninhabitable, they insist you stay instead in Nyack or else lose the money you've paid for the room.

Exactly. It's not the passengers' fault, either, that the Bermuda Sampler isn't going to Bermuda at all. That's like booking the NYC Marriott Marquis and when the hotel becomes uninhabitable, they insist you stay instead in Nyack or else lose the money you've paid for the room.

But the ship is not uninhabitable. There will still be all of the meals, entertainment, shows, and there will most likely be more daily activities to make up for lost port time. The ship cam and will still make the sailing, and everything possible will be done to make it a good trip for everyone.

But the ship is not uninhabitable. There will still be all of the meals, entertainment, shows, and there will most likely be more daily activities to make up for lost port time. The ship cam and will still make the sailing, and everything possible will be done to make it a good trip for everyone.

No, of course it's not uninhabitable. But passengers who signed up for a cruise to one destination are now being taken to an entirely different destination. I'm sure many people don't care where the ship takes them and I'm sure it'll be a great cruise. But, some people do, in fact, care that they're being taken to an entirely different destination than was originally planned. This isn't the same as missing Montego Bay and going instead to Santo Domingo. It's closer to paying for a cruise to Hawaii and being taken instead to Los Angeles.

I buy it through my TA. It's not the Princess program, but a separate policy.

I buy one through my TA also - it is through a company called Allianz (formerly Access America). There are a number of companies that sell it. I often don't buy that option (cancel for any reason) as it is much more expensive.

But, some people do, in fact, care that they're being taken to an entirely different destination than was originally planned.

It has been pointed out before on these boards that, if your enjoyment of a vacation is predicated on reaching a particular port or ports, it's best to take a land trip and not a cruise. I know that sounds harsh, but it's a fact - a harsh fact. The passenger contract that everyone agrees to as part of completing the cruise personalizer says as much.

Of course it's reasonable to be disappointed, but it's not reasonable to expect compensation over and above the return of prepaid port charges. Princess's "cancel for any reason" insurance is invaluable for just such an event. You can decide that, although the ship is going somewhere, you don't like where it's going and cancel on that basis alone. As has been said, you'd get either 75% or 100% of your cancellation charges to be used on a future cruise.

To expect that same compensation without purchasing the insurance is also unreasonable.

I have to agree with PAM. Get insurance including "cancel for any reason." Assuming the cruise still sails, but not to the planned itinerary, if all the cruise lines just reimbursed cruisers for the inconvenience, then those of us that bought insurance would be thinking... why in heck did I get the "for any reason" insurance.

I cruise often including during hurricane season. I've been fortunate not to have my cruise cancelled but I've had ports cancelled. I was in Bermuda this past September when Leslie brought high winds and LOTS of rain. (I was in the Explorer when the Norwegian ship snapped lines and crunched into our ship.) SO yes I was in Bermuda but beach and Boston Whaler plans were ruined by the weather. I spent a lot of time on the ship watching the crappy weather from the windows of various bars/lounges. The point being, sure we were anchored at Bermuda but there wasn't much opportunity to enjoy the island.

It is what it is. Personally, I'd have rather the ship try and find us some sun at sea and skip the port. Others would have been ticked off if we did that we didn't anchor in Bermuda.

Can't please everyone, and if the problem is outside of Princess' (or any cruise line's) direct control, I don't expect anything from them if the cruise sails. If it doesn't sail, then I'd expect my $$ back (and be really irritated at Mother Nature.. not that she cares).

Sorry to hear that. Don't plan on getting anything as compensation. Princess doesn't care about anything other than money. I am sure that more reputable cruise lines would offer something to its customers in this situation.

This is completely UNTRUE. No cruiseline offers compensation for itinerary changes due to weather conditions.

And to the O.P., remember cruise fares are less expensive during hurricane season for this very reason. The weather can be unpredictable and itineraries can change often. I am so sorry this is happening on your voyage. It is definitely a HUGE disappointment, but this storm is not something to take lightly.

I hope you still enjoy your cruise and hopefully whatever port you visit will be filled with fun and good times for you.

Can't please everyone, and if the problem is outside of Princess' (or any cruise line's) direct control, I don't expect anything from them if the cruise sails. If it doesn't sail, then I'd expect my $$ back (and be really irritated at Mother Nature.. not that she cares).

A couple of yaers ago an earthquake in Chile kept passengers from arriving for the cruise (airport was opened, but no airlines were flying in).

see the discussion at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1160991

On that occasion, departing passengers could not leave because of the closed airport. They stayed on the ship (at a reduced rate) until the ship reached another port with a good airport nearby.

It is what it is. Personally, I'd have rather the ship try and find us some sun at sea and skip the port. Others would have been ticked off if we did that we didn't anchor in Bermuda.

It seems that the sheer size of this particular storm is stopping the ships from getting to warmer areas. They are kind of stuck where they are (unfortunately in a colder climate) until the storm moves or subsides.

Archived