Safeguarding cash going through TSA screening

cruiselover**

I was wondering what my fellow travelers do with their cash when going through TSA screening - particularly when the airport has full body screening. When I travel, I always use a neck security pouch for my cash, but now with many airports having the full body screening, I cannot wear the pouch. I am thinking that I should put most of my cash in my carry-on and have my husband put both of our bags on the conveyor. If I go through security first (maybe two or three passengers between us) I could watch to be sure our belongings are okay. Does this sound too paranoid? I guess I have watched too many episodes of 20/20 and am getting overly concerned about theft by TSA employees and/or other passengers.

I also should say that my husband and I each carry about $1,000 in cash for shopping in ports, gambling, additional tips, etc. We prefer to only use our credit card for our on-board expenses.

When I am with my wife, we put a lot in her purse but also spread other items in two carry ons.

The routine is I go first and then she puts the items on so hopefully I am through by the time the items get out.

But we never put cell phones or any other items in little bins.

Keith

Really. I didn't know you couldn't use those pouches. What about those small ones that go on the side of bras. This shows it in front but they work better on the side of the bra or side of panites.

http://www.amazon.com/Braza-Secret-Stash-Travel-Pocket/dp/B003G5P074/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351800952&sr=8-1&keywords=braza+secret+stash

I always put my wallet in to my carry on before approaching the security area (after pulling out my ID, of course). I just throw it in with my phone and belt so that, after clearing security, I can just pull them all back out easily.

I do that, and I lock the carry-on.

Really. I didn't know you couldn't use those pouches. What about those small ones that go on the side of bras. This shows it in front but they work better on the side of the bra or side of panites.

http://www.amazon.com/Braza-Secret-Stash-Travel-Pocket/dp/B003G5P074/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351800952&sr=8-1&keywords=braza+secret+stash

I don't think so. You can't have anything in your pockets, either. If it shows up on the scanner and you don't/won't put it through the x-ray machine with your carry on etc., you'll probably asking for a thorough pat down.

I guess I have watched too many episodes of 20/20 and am getting overly concerned about theft by TSA employees and/or other passengers.

Yeah - the US media make millions instilling fear in people. Yes, theft happens, but given the huge numbers of people that pass through airports and security, it happens very rarely. I do what's been suggested by other posters: my wallet is deep in my carry on bag long before I reach security, with my ID in my hand. My wallet is at less of a risk of getting stolen than my camera or e-reader ;)

I also should say that my husband and I each carry about $1,000 in cash for shopping in ports, gambling, additional tips, etc. We prefer to only use our credit card for our on-board expenses.

I would say that is way more of a risk than sending your wallet through a TSA scanner - you could get pickpocketed anywhere. If you're looking to decrease your risk of losing stuff, I recommend you carry less cash and use ATMs wherever you disembark the plane or ship.

I always put my wallet in to my carry on before approaching the security area (after pulling out my ID, of course). I just throw it in with my phone and belt so that, after clearing security, I can just pull them all back out easily.
icon14.gif This is the best way.
I would say that is way more of a risk than sending your wallet through a TSA scanner - you could get pickpocketed anywhere.
I agree. Carrying $1,000 cash when travelling is just asking for trouble.

For years, I traveled with most of my cash in a money belt. I had worn it thru security many times with no problems. Soon after the new scanners were installed at the airport, I walked thru wearing my money belt and got "caught". I was fortunate to get a nice agent. She asked me what I was wearing that caused the scanner alert. I told her it was my money belt. She took me to a private area and I showed her the belt. She examined it and sent me on my way. She could have insisted on the full pat down. That was my last time to go thru security wearing the money belt. pixel.gif

I believe in not carrying all my money and credit cards in one place. When traveling I carry two wallets, one for public and one concealed. When traveling by air I also carry a travel wallet for my boarding pass and ID. Before I leave for the airport I put a little money for tips in the travel wallet and stow the others in separate locations.

Another point on credit cards when traveling with a spouse is to carry one credit card that is different from your partner. The reason for that is if you have to cancel a credit card because of loss, theft, or identity theft you will have a useable card.

Shak

I want to thank everyone for your suggestions! I thought I should clarify that I do use the neck pouch for my cash at my embarkation city up to the time I board the cruise ship and can put my money in the safe. When I'm in ports, I only carry about $100.00 with me - and that's in small bills. I use a Pacsafe purse that I wear cross-body so I feel fairly safe. My husband and I each carry one credit card (different account numbers) on vacation, but mine is ONLY used for the on-board account. He carries his card into ports, but will only use it if it's an emergency.

My concern for protecting my cash is limited to the time going through airport screening. It bothers me that we even have to put our cash through the scanner.

It bothers me that we even have to put our cash through the scanner.
A great deal of much more valuable stuff than cash must go through the scanner, seeing as basically everything must go through the scanner.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned about a laptop going walkies - that's far more common, and the potential consequences far more serious than losing some cash. And carrying cash is optional, anyway; you can always get some more from a machine after security, or at your destination, or pay by some other means - that's why plastic is so good when travelling.

Not that the thought of security screeners taking stuff has ever actually concerned me (and it's virtually impossible if it's decently buried inside your carry on). You are far more at risk from other passengers or, when in public areas, from members of the public.

A great deal of much more valuable stuff than cash must go through the scanner, seeing as basically everything must go through the scanner.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned about a laptop going walkies - that's far more common, and the potential consequences far more serious than losing some cash. And carrying cash is optional, anyway; you can always get some more from a machine after security, or at your destination, or pay by some other means - that's why plastic is so good when travelling.

Not that the thought of security screeners taking stuff has ever actually concerned me (and it's virtually impossible if it's decently buried inside your carry on). You are far more at risk from other passengers or, when in public areas, from members of the public.

I fly often. I had a PacSafe purse but gave it away as it prevented my phone from getting calls when it was in the purse!

I have extra cash in my shoe (under the insole) and a credit card that is not in my wallet but elsewhere in my carry on bag. This is all I can do.

It bothers me that we even have to put our cash through the scanner.

You don't HAVE to......if it bothers you enough, you could drive or take the train instead of flying. Put it in perspective - is this really a big deal? Remember, what you need to put through the scanner is the wallet, bag, or whatever money-container you have - they don't really care about scanning the cash, but the bag (which seems perfectly reasonable to me).

I wonder what would happen if you handed the TSA guy 10 $100 bills and told him you didn't want the cash to go through the scanner? LOL - just kidding.

We always send one person thru the scanner, then our possessions go thru....and the other person waits until everything has cleared....as sometimes, the scanner will spit your stuff back out the back.....leaving your possessions open and available to anyone who hasn't gone thru security.

Sometimes, the agents will get upset that I'm waiting to go thru, but I tell them I'm NOT going until my things have cleared....too bad for them.

Things are a bit harder now, since hubby has a pacemaker. At airports where they don't have the body scanner, he cannot go thru the metal detector, which leaves me to go thru security alone....so I really do hold up the line.....I refuse to go thru until my things are visible on the other side of the scanner.

Just keep your eyes open and on your things....it'll be fine. And, divide your funds between the two of you....ALL of you cash should not be in your pocketbook or his wallet! Spread the risk!

You don't HAVE to......if it bothers you enough, you could drive or take the train instead of flying. Put it in perspective - is this really a big deal? Remember, what you need to put through the scanner is the wallet, bag, or whatever money-container you have - they don't really care about scanning the cash, but the bag (which seems perfectly reasonable to me).

I wonder what would happen if you handed the TSA guy 10 $100 bills and told him you didn't want the cash to go through the scanner? LOL - just kidding.

Just put your money and boarding pass inside your passport and CARRY it in your hands. When you get into the scanner, hold it over your head and you will be fine.

I had the exact 10 $100 bills mentioned above Thursday when I got on a plane in PHX for EWR. Passport, boarding pass and cash in my hand. Everything else in the trays/tubs. Stand in the screener with your hands above your head and you are good to go. Have been doing it for years, even before the full body scanners. Always in my hand, not subject to someone grabbing the wrong suitcase coming out of the scanner. Then I can put it away where I want to after I get out of security.

I also have emergency money stashed inside the insole of my shoe as well as a credit card with a fairly high limit stashed inside the insole of the other shoe. Wear the same Bass loafers religiously on flights.

Just put your money and boarding pass inside your passport and CARRY it in your hands. When you get into the scanner, hold it over your head and you will be fine.

Makes perfect sense to me.......if you can hold a paper passport, you can hold paper money.

Personally, I think all your worries about letting your stuff go through a scanner (and money in shoes!) are unnecessary panic about nothing, but that's my comfort zone, and I respect that not everyone feels the same way.

Makes perfect sense to me.......if you can hold a paper passport, you can hold paper money.

Personally, I think all your worries about letting your stuff go through a scanner (and money in shoes!) are unnecessary panic about nothing, but that's my comfort zone, and I respect that not everyone feels the same way.

The money and credit cards in my shoes have absolutely NOTHING to do with TSA screening. In fact, a couple times they have hindered quickly getting my stuff screened because of the "squares" that come up on the Xray INSIDE my shoes.

But I guarantee you that very cash has come in handy in some strange places in the world when I needed emergency money and that credit card truly saved my life (Cambodia to Vietnam when I got horrible sick in Cambodia).

And anyone STUCK on the East Coast the first part of this week would have been OVERJOYED to have that extra $100 available to them. With power out, ATM's were down all over the East Coast. People didn't have money to check into hotels, get gas or food because so many depend on plastic and literally have NO cash available to them. Even when I got to EWR on Thursday (which was operating fully), Hertz was still running on temp power and could only run certain credit cards for car deposits. I asked if they would take cash for a deposit. Yes, they would (they normally won't). I had to go through three credit cards before they finally got one to work. That cash was looking pretty good, even though I didn't have to use it. Walking down 1 & 9 at 8PM at night was NOT to my liking. And with the humungous gas shortage in NJ, even finding a taxi or car service was going to be a problem if I couldn't get the rental.

As one of my employees described the way people are prepared on the East Coast for a disaster (particularly in Manhattan and in apartment buildings)-"people use the bodega on the ground floor as their refrigerator". I was rolling on the floor laughing because I know it is so true. Condiments, beer and wine, a few bottles of water, MAYBE a frozen TV dinner. The rest of dinner gets picked up on the way home, you eat from one of the gourmet food trucks or pizza/chinese is delivered. Without cash, as a resident or a tourist, you MAY NOT have had any food.

You never know when you are going to need real, hard cold cash. My over the road truck drivers would not THINK of going into NYC without at least $250 in cash and full tanks of fuel. And this is every week, not just during a disaster. It is our company policy that ALL over the road drivers have a minimum of $200 CASH on them at all time. You just never know.

You never know when you are going to need real, hard cold cash. My over the road truck drivers would not THINK of going into NYC without at least $250 in cash and full tanks of fuel. And this is every week, not just during a disaster. It is our company policy that ALL over the road drivers have a minimum of $200 CASH on them at all time. You just never know.

I'm not anti-cash; I actually prefer cash and now that I'm trying to build up frequent flier miles for my next trip, I have to remind myself to use my credit card more often, LOL. I just can't imagine I'd be hiding in my shoes. As I said, YMMV.

My DH and I both fly on a regular basis for work as we have never had an issue with a TSA stealing anything. I leave my cash in my purse and just send it thru the x-ray.

I watch to make sure all my items have entered the scanner before I move forward to screening. Once the items are in the scanner, I go thru the metal detector or the bodyscan. I have yet to be at an airport where I could not watch my items as they came out on the belt while in the scanner.

There is a much bigger risk of another passenger picking up your belongings than there is of a TSA stealing something. I wouldn't overthink this though, have your wallet inside your bag, keep an eye as best you can and you should be just fine.

Archived