Australia $ Value, Economic Direction?

Other reasons may be -

Gold is falling along with other commodities like Oil;

US have not eased their quantitative easing and may be going to war in Syria;

People around the world are looking to invest in our dollar again.:D

The first isn't going to decrease the value of the USD, or increase the value of the AUD. Quite the opposite can be true. It shows a poor correlation with the value of the AUD. For example, when gold fell massively a few months back - the AUD also fell. However, the two were not related, otherwise it would be the opposite of your reason.

The second is not something that changed in the past couple of days. The decision on easing is not for almost a week yet.

The third is the reason I gave - by virtue of the Chinese figures. Part of the value of the AUD of late is that it seen as a proxy for Chinese growth. When Chinese growth is down, prospects for our economy are not seen as good. If Chinese growth is good, then our prospects are seen as better.

:D

Edited by The_Big_M

One person who I don't see hanging around the backbenches of Parliament for very long before he gets bored with it all is Clive Palmer. He will have a little fun for a while though.

Barry

He is used to being not only the 'boss', but almost the Emperor. People involved with his party said it was "Clive's way or the highway". I wonder how he will feel in Parliament when he is only one new boy with several other new boys and girls and when he finds he doesn't carry any weight. :) Pun intended.

For the new government, I feel managing the parliament will be a bit like herding cats - very difficult.:)

Per the Wall Street Journal this morning, they have the Aussie dollar continuing to be moving up. Now at $0.9286. Nearly to 93 cents!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 118,015 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Is it the Aussie dollar going up ...or

the US dollar going down ..?

It could be both and neither depending on what aspect (comparison point) you look at. The USD dropped against most currencies but not all. The AUD rose against most but not all. Some of these currencies where the same and others were not.:D

Now even I am confused:confused:

Unemployment figures just bumped the AUD down.

Wait til our new PMs cuts into the public service start biting.

The cuts to the public service are going to be through natural attrition Not targeted redundancies. Huge difference. Those people will either be retiring, or leaving the public service to go to another job and won't be replaced.

Edited by icat2000

The cuts to the public service are going to be through natural attrition Not targeted redundancies. Huge difference. Those people will either be retiring, or leaving the public service to go to another job and won't be replaced.

Don't believe what you read in the paper or what is promised.

It has only been 5 days and I already know of 5 colleagues that have been tapped on the shoulder to go) in anticipation and they are not of retirement age.:(

It has only been 5 days and I already know of 5 colleagues that have been tapped on the shoulder to go) in anticipation and they are not of retirement age.:(

Are they contractors or consultants or public servants. There is a difference in Governments both at State and Federal level. There has been natural attrition at Victoria State Government levels for years now (been a freeze on), however, some Departments were getting around that by putting on Consultants or Contractors. I believe they are not counted in the number of public servants working for Governments.

Edited by icat2000

Are they contractors or consultants or public servants. There is a difference in Governments both at State and Federal level. There has been natural attrition at Victoria State Government levels for years now (been a freeze on), however, some Departments were getting around that by putting on Consultants or Contractors. I believe they are not counted in the number of public servants working for Governments.

In my experience consultants/contractors cost the government much more than public servants do. The advantage is they are not counted as permanent public servants, as they work for agencies, and they can be terminated, as required. They often come back as permanent public servants appointed to advertised vacancies later. :)

I agree with MicCanberra. Don't believe cuts of 12,000 public servants by natural attrition. Doesn't work, even when they put senior public servants in an isolated building, with no work, which is what happened in Queensland.

In my experience consultants/contractors cost the government much more than public servants do. The advantage is they are not counted as permanent public servants, as they work for agencies, and they can be terminated, as required. They often come back as permanent public servants appointed to advertised vacancies later. :)

I agree with MicCanberra. Don't believe cuts of 12,000 public servants by natural attrition. Doesn't work, even when they put senior public servants in an isolated building, with no work, which is what happened in Queensland.

There are some public servants that need to be tapped on the shoulder. Lifers they are. They stay there because they know they will never get another job anywhere else. The public service does need a clean-out to get rid of the dead wood.

Edited by icat2000

I was in Canberra on Monday, well Westfield Woden anyway..lunchtime, Public Servants everywhere, good for retail, but it appears tough times are on the way. Certainly very tough if one is not near retirement age, jobs are not easy to find. I was lucky, I was able to retire aged 55, that was 10 years ago.

Edited by NSWP

These five colleagues of mine are not dead wood or contractors. Due to the efficiency dividend each year, we have had to do more with less every year and sooner or later the cuts start to cause flat lining rather than just a bleed.:(

Edited by MicCanberra

As you say the contractors are not classified as APS and therefore do npot come from the 12,000 but do not worry, they will go as well. The redundancies need to be funded from somewhere.:rolleyes:

I was not being political about this, both Governments have imposed the dividend. It was 1.5% per year, the previous government increased it with an additional 2.5% (to 4%) in 2006-07. Now the new government has said they will keep it at that level.
For 7 years now we have had 4%, this means an equivalent drop of 25.5%.

As for the outside world, it has always been a supply and demand, private industry does not cut back when the business is going well.:D

[quote name='MicCanberra']I was not being political about this, both Governments have imposed the dividend. It was 1.5% per year, the previous government increased it with an additional 2.5% (to 4%) in 2006-07. Now the new government has said they will keep it at that level.
For 7 years now we have had 4%, this means an equivalent drop of 25.5%.

As for the outside world, it has always been a supply and demand, private industry does not cut back when the business is going well.:D[/QUOTE]

I have worked with many large companies and the 'super efficient' private sector mantra is a myth.

[quote name='MicCanberra']Don't believe what you read in the paper or what is promised.
It has only been 5 days and I already know of 5 colleagues that have been tapped on the shoulder to go) in anticipation and they are not of retirement age.:([/QUOTE]

Are they "permanents" or "casuals" ??

Barry

[quote name='icat2000']The cuts to the public service are going to be through natural attrition Not targeted redundancies. Huge difference. Those people will either be retiring, or leaving the public service to go to another job and won't be replaced.[/quote]

As said earlier, that's not the case.

If only by natural attrition, it would take many years, beyond the current term, and what's the point of having a goal then? Just saying that workers won't be replaced.

Clearly they're different things.