Table for two or more?

Dinner for two or more?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Dinner for two or more?

• Dinner for two
    • Dinner with assigned dinner guests

Hot topic here, but I was curious as how many people prefer dining for two or with a group assigned to you.

Personally, I prefer the dining for two. I just like the bonding/quiet time at dinner.

I voted dinner for 2 but it is usually dinner for 4 with us since we normally cruise as a family. This is why we do anytime or freestyle. We don't cruise to socialize. We cruise to bond.

Been with the DW for over 33 years. We can and do dine together quite often. We like to meet people onboard so we always ask for a table for 8. With three other couples at the table odds are good you will hit it off well with at least one of them. First cruise the DW and I took my TA gave me some good advice. Never a table for 4. If it doesn't go well with you and the other couple you just could end up stuck for the duration. Well most of the couples we have met have been fantasitc we did get one couple who were from hell. Nothing was ever right. Food served too fast, food served too slow, food too cold, food to hot. Thankfully the rest of us just ignored them and had a great time.

The two options you give are not the only possibilities, and don't include my choice. We always do Anytime dining and usually choose to sit with others, but they are not assigned tablemates for the entire week. I like meeting new people very day!

We've been married for 40 years...and we eat together almost every meal...not just dinners...so we really like having tablemates!

Even when we weren't together so much, other people gave us interesting topics to talk about! There is so much "together" time on a cruise, an couple hours for a social dinner is very nice!

I love my hubby and he loves me, but other people add a dimension to conversation that we can't get alone!!

We are 43 years married and for about 320 days a year we eat at a table for 2....we love meeting and dining with other people so always ask for a table of 8 or more or offer to share as we enter the dining venue.

We always ask for a table with others. The only times we haven't been accommodated were when we had a party of 5 & 6.

We like meeting new people and discussing their adventures on the cruise. It makes it "feel" a little more like traveling during the time when travel by ship required you to mingle with the masses.

As others have said, we prefer Anytime Dining so that if we are feeling sociable we can ask to be seated with others. It's also nice to have the option to dine with folks you met elsewhere on board. The option to dine with just us is of course appreciated. We just don't like to be "forced" to sit with strangers.

As others have mentioned, Anytime/My Time Dining allows flexibility to sit at a table for 2 or request a larger table, depending on your mood that day. Almost all of the 'Tables for 2' that we've had for the last several years have been very close together. Some people don't like it, but we find that it gives us even more options. We always initiate a friendly greeting to those on either side of us. Sometimes that develops into more conversation, sometimes not. We find we meet more people this way that we ever did with assigned dining. Occasionally we meet another couple that we really enjoy and then plan to sit together other nights. Occasionally we're seated by people that we then know to avoid on subsequent nights!

I've had some absolutely WONDERFUL experiences with table mates at assigned (traditional) dining. However, I've also had a number of experiences being assigned to a table where the others rarely (or NEVER) even show up! I assume they opt to dine at the buffet or specialty restaurants throughout the cruise. Nothing like sitting at a table for 8 or 10, just the two of you, guarding the extra settings for use "as needed" by the waiters in that section.

Now-a-days, we opt for the flexible dining option. We have STILL met great people (come on folks...the tables are so close together, it's almost like eating WITH the people next to you). Like Kartgv, we have even ended up making reservations to eat with those we've met at dinner. But then it's our choice at our preferred dining time and we don't find ourselves dining with empty chairs!!

It seems strange to want to eat alone with your spouse when on a cruise. Who do you eat with for those couple of hundred other dinners per year when you are not cruising? We find having a group to meet with for an hour or so every evening for a week or so to be one of the charms of cruising - it is a change from the routine, something you cannot do at home, why not go for it?

It seems strange to want to eat alone with your spouse when on a cruise. Who do you eat with for those couple of hundred other dinners per year when you are not cruising? We find having a group to meet with for an hour or so every evening for a week or so to be one of the charms of cruising - it is a change from the routine, something you cannot do at home, why not go for it?

So you ask for a table with 6 strangers when you go to Applebee's? Because I usually just ask for a table for two...

Early on cruising we shared a table, haven't done so for probably 20 years now. Prefer table for 2, we generally special order meals and don't want all the courses. This works best for a table for 2. We also prefer traditional dining vs anything dining.

We have been married 35 years, are both retired and spend a lot of time together. We enjoy meeting new people and always ask for a large table. We have the best luck with a table for 8 or 10.

Neither choice is right or wrong. It is what is best for you and your travelmate(s).

So you ask for a table with 6 strangers when you go to Applebee's? Because I usually just ask for a table for two...

I'm sorry, but I have to categorize this as one of the more foolish posts I've seen. I had been talking about a large table at assigned dining on a cruise. I guess you go to the same Applebee's for seven, or perhaps fourteen, consecutive nights and always get a table for two. I have as much trouble understanding that as you seem to have understanding my wanting to interact with other people.

To each his own.

Thanks everyone. I was just curious. I know there is no wrong or right and lots of other options I could have posted in the poll, but I was just trying to get a ball park idea.

I am kinda surprised that there were more votes for "table for two". I thought it would lean the other way. Interesting.

Archived