+55 Discount

Tudorcruisers

Has anyone ever received a discount for the over 55's??

I'm UK and when I go to price a cruise eg on Celebrity site it gives me a price and then when I go back in and tick the over 55 box to see what our discount is going to be it gives me exactly the same price!!!!

Just wondering if this is a discount only for US passengers??

I managed to get the discount last year with Royal Caribbean. Just lucky, it was the cruise I wanted and when I started checking on prices, the discount showed up. I saved several hundred dollars and after a few weeks, the discount was no longer offered and prices started going up. I am in the US.

Don

I have never seen a discount for passengers over 55. On many of my cruises that would be 90% or more of the passengers.

NCL often offers a discount for AARP members who book at least 9 months before the cruise.

Has anyone ever received a discount for the over 55's??

I'm UK and when I go to price a cruise eg on Celebrity site it gives me a price and then when I go back in and tick the over 55 box to see what our discount is going to be it gives me exactly the same price!!!!

Just wondering if this is a discount only for US passengers??

Yes, three times in the last five years, all on Celebrity - one South American and two European cruises. These discounts come and go, and may be available for only a few days to a few weeks at a time, so it's hit or miss if you check prices infrequently. The discounts were offered months in advance of our cruises, and once it was extended all the way to final payment. I subscribe to a service that monitors prices and they notify me if a price has gone down for reasons I specify (sorry, I can't name this service - against CC rules). Typically, the discounts have been about 15% lower. We live in California, and once there was also a discount for being a resident here, but it couldn't be combined with the senior discount. It was one or the other. The resident discounts seem to be less frequent than the senior discounts for the cruises I monitor.

The 55+ discount is random and only offered on certain cruises or certain times - it is clearly not a discount offered for each cruise. That being said we have received a 55+ discount on a few US based cruises.

That has been my experience also. I have scored a couple of the senior discounts. They show up one day and are gone the next.

Charlie

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have never received any discount for over 55. Would be nice if they wanted to offer us one, though. :)

For those who received a senior discount, on which cruise line was it?

We have never received any discount for over 55. Would be nice if they wanted to offer us one, though. :)

We got the over 55 discount on our B2B in Australia / NZ on Royal Caribbean a couple of years ago. Like most folks have said it's hit and miss - you just have to be lucky. :)

Celebrity was one for sure. And I think NCL.

Charlie

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have been given three 55+ discounts out of the four cruises I just booked. One on the Celebrity Reflection 15 days TA on Nov1 ($689 inside guarantee plus $100OBC) and the Carnival Glory 7 days Nov 24 (Balcony $549) Oasis of the Seas 7 days Nov 16 Ft Lauderdale ($ 899 Central Pk Balc Guarantee + $250 OBC)

I do not know if these prices or discounts come from the cruise line or if they were given by to travel (website) when we used after we decided we had a ,VACATION 2 GO, on.

I just checked and the same on line agent now has 55+ prices for the same bookings for Glory at $584, Reflection now $739 and Oasis is $949. In fact at one stage the 55+ rate on Reflection was $659 but it had gone between the we agreed on prices over the phone and when we got around to pulling the trigger on our deal. The agent stated that he couldn't do that at the time but gave us an extra $50 OBC on one of the Oasis. He stated that he couldn't add it to the Reflection because they are not allowed to lose money on any individual cruises even when they made a profit (obviously) on the 4 cruise deal.

The same place has Ocean view cabins on the Relection TA showing as +55 rate of $849 compared to $999 for regular price. I am considering asking change our bookings to OV.

Would appreciate feed back as first time cruisers using a USA website on whether we got a good deal. Well it may be a good deal unless the Aussie $$$ keeps slipping.

Most of the cruises that I have taken have had the 55+ discount and it has been applied. However, they don't seem to 'stack' discounts like including the 55+ AND the Past Guest AND Resident rates. However on CCL I have gotten 55+ AND Past Guest on the same cruise. And on Princess I got a Past Guest (based on CCL cruises) and 'Pack and Go' that made our balcony guarantee only $399 pp (wound up on 8 and three from the front of the ship (but that still made it midship since the theater took up the front of the ship on that floor.

We search using another web site that offers togo vacations that list 55+ discounts.

The 55+ discount is random and only offered on certain cruises or certain times - it is clearly not a discount offered for each cruise. That being said we have received a 55+ discount on a few US based cruises.

Same here..however I did also get one for my Oasis Oct sailing...very random and very lucky..it came and went very fast...good timing ;)

Twice with RCI; once with NCL. Never with any other line.

First one was our first RCI cruise. It was a kind of last minute booking for an end of the season PNW cruise. When I saw a fare decrease about 3 weeks before the cruise and called to ask about it, the agent told me that she could do better than that because a 55+ discount had just been added to balcony cabins, which brought the fare down to less than an inside had been. My hubby was turning 55 just a week before our cruise, but it still counted.

Second was on an RCI Caribbean cruise. I had learned to periodically check fares, especially for 55+ and resident discounts. I saw one had been added for our category (balcony again), so I called and got the adjustment of about $150/person. It was about 1 month before the cruise and was a "here today, gone tomorrow" kind of thing.

Final one was an NCL Hawaii cruise in mid-December (a low time). The NCL agent first said no because it was after final payment. I talked to a supervisor who offered an upgrade from balcony to prime location mini-suite plus some OBC. It wasn't quite as much as the discount would have been, but we were happy.

beachchick

Thanks for all the replies. When you all mention checking the price and discount perhaps only coming on for a few days do you mean the Celebrity site for example if you are booked with them? I know we aren't allowed to mention other sites on CC which is such a shame as I feel we miss out on so much info:(

Thanks for all the replies. When you all mention checking the price and discount perhaps only coming on for a few days do you mean the Celebrity site for example if you are booked with them? I know we aren't allowed to mention other sites on CC which is such a shame as I feel we miss out on so much info:(

Yes. I tend to check the cruise lines website every few days to see if anything has changed. And sometimes you get lucky. Our next cruise is a little more than a year out so I don't figure there will be any changes for a while yet.

Archived