Allure and propulsion problems.

bilyclub

Why CNN? Did another Carnival ship breakdown and have to be towed back to port?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I don't agree with Stalag 13 security views

If it had been a Carnival ship there would have been nationwide news coverage

While I don't agree with Stalag 13 security views

If it had been a Carnival ship there would have been nationwide news coverage

I don't think it has reached that level yet even if it was a Carnival ship. If it cuts short a cruise and has to dump their passengers early then yes. Not being able to reach top speed? When it comes to the national media, it seems like a non story but that's just me.

I asked my travel agent why RCL won't fess up - she doesn't understand either. Her agency has yet to receive word from the company on the altered itineraries. I contacted her after the second consecutive eastern itinerary was cut short.

At my request, my TA checked with a fellow agent who was on the ship as well as her agency's company rep. They told her a few days ago that the problem would be corrected by the Nov 3 sailing. Truthful, eh? If it's all good now, why hasn't RCL said as much?

Once the news hit USA Today, my TA advised me to cancel my shore excursions. RCL is still telling her all is unchanged. If I hadn't found out about the shortened itinerary until I'd boarded, it would have caused me quite a headache. At least this way I have some time to adjust our plans.

I've been looking for substitute shore excursions, but can't find anything that compares with the St John private charter I will have to cancel. I'm about to call my credit card company to dispute RCL's charges. As I've already said, I consider the change a significant one. This isn't an act of nature or a medical emergency. I consider an on-going mechanical issue RCL's responsibility, but the company has instead chosen to deceive its customers.

Given the cruise contract I may not 'win,' but I hope to help put pressure on RCL to treat their customers with respect. They've made such a poor impression with me, I can't imagine I'll ever sail with them again. I'm going to get this behind me now, so I can make the best of my paid-for cruise. Believe me, if I hadn't been paid in full, I'd already have cancelled.

Edited by PAL_1

Clarification: I'm calling my credit card company to share my concerns. Credit card companies can be effective advocates. Once when I was apparently swindled by a Walmart associate on a gift card purchase, my credit card company intervened and made it right.

Probably a good time to dump RCL stock.

Definitely. RC stock is at its highest level in two years and has increased its dividend.

In the meantime, Carnival is experiencing lower stock prices and is shaking up its management team, trying to recover from "recent events". http://finance.yahoo.com/news/carnival-shakes-management-team-183207383.html

Edited by Merion_Mom

Weird, it looks like most reps should know about this if they pull up our reservations and look at the Allure. I'm calling back with questions about my stateroom, complaining about the reduced speed at the same time, and all four of the reps I spoke with knew of the issue but didn't know what was being done or when it would be resolved.
Complaining about the reduced speed, please give us a break....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't think it has reached that level yet even if it was a Carnival ship. If it cuts short a cruise and has to dump their passengers early then yes. Not being able to reach top speed? When it comes to the national media, it seems like a non story but that's just me.

My sentiments exactly...K.O.

Maybe Allure could beat Oasis to dry dock.

That was my thought as well, but I don't think Oasis can be delayed. I think they explained when I was on Allure that Oasis had to go to dry dock in the first 5 years since it was a new design.

Definitely. RC stock is at its highest level in two years and has increased its dividend.

In the meantime, Carnival is experiencing lower stock prices and is shaking up its management team, trying to recover from "recent events". http://finance.yahoo.com/news/carnival-shakes-management-team-183207383.html

Well, considering that one is supposed to buy low and sell high maybe it is good advice to sell now. Though I realize than many people do it the other way around when it comes to stocks.

...snip...I'm about to call my credit card company to dispute RCL's charges. As I've already said, I consider the change a significant one. This isn't an act of nature or a medical emergency. I consider an on-going mechanical issue RCL's responsibility, but the company has instead chosen to deceive its customers.

Given the cruise contract I may not 'win,' but I hope to help put pressure on RCL to treat their customers with respect. They've made such a poor impression with me, I can't imagine I'll ever sail with them again. I'm going to get this behind me now, so I can make the best of my paid-for cruise. Believe me, if I hadn't been paid in full, I'd already have cancelled.

You will not receive anything from that route. The cruise contract clearly states that they can change the itinerary, bring you to different ports, and even just leave you at the embarkation dock for the entire cruise, and you still have to pay.

I'm about to call my credit card company to dispute RCL's charges. As I've already said, I consider the change a significant one. This isn't an act of nature or a medical emergency. I consider an on-going mechanical issue RCL's responsibility, but the company has instead chosen to deceive its customers.

I can't believe I just read this. :rolleyes:

So on a related note, I just emailed Blue Lagoon Island (Nassau) to ask, assuming the Allure does have to leave port an hour early, is there any chance they would adjust their ferry times so that the first ferry back to the port is at 12pm rather than the usual 1pm. We'll see what kind of vague response I get from them, which is typically the case. I'll report back whatever they have to say.

We were part of a 40+ person group on Allure on the October 13th sailing. None of us cared about the SLIGHT change of times. First off the Nassau stop is already a joke and this doesn't really change anything. And there was still plenty of time in St. Thomas. I really don't see why this is such a big deal.

The ship is the destination, and we were all safe and felt no additional movement or anything that some people are complaining about.

I realize that the Allure problem is only so far effecting her speed and loosing some time in two ports on eastern itinerary, but I worry about her becoming unstable/rocky. I also worry that she get worse in time down the road, would like to hear more from RC on this issue to make me feel better.

I don't mind loosing time in any port especially Nassau, actually I see it as a blessing! We prefer sea time not port time so loosing some hours in Nassau and St. Thomas means more sea time for us.

Sharktums thank you for letting me know that you all didn't feel anymore movement than what is normal.