Packing tips for those who fly to port

tinykygal

How about some awesome packing trips for those who fly to port.

Do the ladies take a soft-sided tote bag to store under their seats on the plane?

Found some great flights, but add the luggage costs, the pick your seat, all the extras and not so cheap.

Don't have a problem with excess shoes, but how about clothing tips. No long beaded gowns for me this trip.

Can't wait to hear from you.

I know there are packing forums, but this is for those who have great tips for airlines.

Thanks.

Pack only half the number of clothes you need, i.e. if going for 14 nights only pack 7 nights worth. Don't bother with choosing seats unless there's a real good reason i.e. size, height. Waste of money otherwise. Use available luggage allowance to the max. Cheap airlines aren't always the cheapest option once you consider all the add ons etc..If possible wear your heaviest shoes on the flight, buy toiletries at airport etc.

My make-up is always hand-carried....I use both my husbands AND my zip-loc bag for the liquids....(he doesn't have anything that can't be checked!)

Larger size items (shampoo, etc...) go in the checked bags.

Summer clothes are lighter and take up less space than jeans and sweaters! So do summer shoes....sandals and flip-flops don't take much space or weigh much at all!

I agree with no "beaded gowns"...there are many lightweight, unwrinkle-able fabrics for evening gowns and cocktail dresses! It's harder with men's suits....they are simply bigger and will be heavier....bring one, wear it more than once!

Buy a luggage scale, so when you are packing to come home, you aren't overweight!

Edited by cb at sea

• Use the packing cubes and envelopes in your luggage. Much more organized and they keep your clothing much nicer so they don't get as wrinkly.
  • I bring a wheeled duffle bag as my carryon and have an empty unwheeled duffle bag in my luggage. That way when I'm coming home I have the empty one as my extra carryon for all the things I've bought during the trip that I don't want to check. The duffle bags are lighter than suitcases and I find they fit better under the seats and in the overhead compartments (especially the tiny ones). Make sure you bring luggage locks for both.
  • I'm finding the more I cruise the less I bring, especially where shoes are concerned. So bring one pair of walking shoes/sandals, flip flops and nice shoes for the dining room (if you're eating there). No one cares what you're wearing. They just care that you're in their way at the buffet line ;):D.

Our last two cruises were 33 days and 26 days. One checked bag each. One backpack carryon each. (We always have a connecting flight. Back packs are easier than pulling a wheeled carryon.)

I only pack for 7 days, regardless of how long the cruise is.

Besides wearing things more than once, I use the ship's laundry 'bag special'.

I stick with two basic colors and mix n match tops and bottoms.

If going to more than one climate I take one turtleneck to layer with tops.

I wear my sweater over short-sleeved blouse. I take one long sleeve blouse that can be worn over tank top.

If there are formal nights I take two dressy slacks and two dressy tops that can be mixed and matched.

For shoes I wear my walking shoes, pack one pair of dress shoes and one pair of flip flops or (not and) sandals.

Lotions etc are small size from minimus.biz and are in checked bag.

My purse is large enough to carry lightweight sweater plus other items for the flight.

Edited by NMLady

I would recommend taking a 22" carry on that would go above your seat as it will hold more.

Keith

I agree.

We always bring a wheeled 21" carryon and pack as much in it as we can.

I call it insurance against lost luggage. We have our valuables/medications/necessities in the carryons as well as change of undies, swim suit, fresh jersey/blouse, basics we can manage with if our luggage is delayed or lost. The more we have with us the better IMO :)

My DH and I use packing cubes. I put one of my packing cubes (with at least one complete outfit) in his checked bag and he packs one of his cubes in my checked bag. It's extra insurance in case one of the checked bags is lost or delayed.

We always say we're going to do that, but never do.We've been lucky so far and haven't ever had lost luggage, but sooner or later that luck might run out. This upcoming cruise, I think we will cross pack.

Only travel using an 18" wheeled carry-on and a small tote that double as a purse if needed.

• Do not travel with a purse . Use a small black tote to carry all meds and anything that needs to be accessed readily.
  • Bring only 3 pairs of shoes ( one pair worn)
  • Every piece of clothing can be interchanged with at least 2 other pieces or it doesn't get packed.
  • Do not bring formal attire. Instead pack a pair of nice black slacks/top that can be dressed up/down using scarfs or jewelry.
  • Even with packing light there are things I never wear.

My friends describe my suitcase where all the clowns are stuffed into a volkswagon. In fact there's a you tube video that's similar to my style of packing. Here's the link

Statistically speaking regardless of the size of suit case on average 25% of the items packed never get used.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Over the years I have discovered how long travel sizes of toothpaste, shampoo and other things will last. If possible buy larger sizes at you embarkation port.

If the things do not come in travel size, decant. I've been using old eyedrop containers and contact lens cases for Argan oil and hair gels.

Use the laundryroom or laundry service.

The Fashion & Beauty board has many good threads about packing light.

This is a good website--

http://ladylighttravel.com/

I use the LARGE zip-locks (2-1/2 to 3 Gal) instead of packing cubes. I actually use all sizes from the snack size (for jewelry) to the BIG ones. They are see through. I can pack a complete outfit in each, and my shoes will fit in them too. Everything has to be multi-use or double duty or it doesn't get to go on the trip. That means that the beaded gown is left behind and replaced with a pair of black slacks and two of the sparkly tops that can be wadded up without wrinkles (light weight too). The black slacks will be worn with a casual top on another night.

*I always take advantage of the wash and fold on the ship.

*A jacket or sweater gets worn on the plane along with a pashmina (which means I don't pack either) to keep me warm on the plane and can be worn in the evening in the air-conditioning on the ship.

*I use neutral colors (black/brown/grey/beige) with a couple of colorful t-shirts that can go with any of my basic colors.

*T-Shirt dress that can be worn over a swimsuit, or to dinner, or will get me into a church in Europe with my well-worn, casual sandals or the plain black flats that are great with my formal wear (I add a sparkly shoe clip for formal night).

*Gym shorts and t-shirt or cami to sleep in (can be worn in a pinch to a beach over swim suit, too).

*A cloth cross-body sling bag to carry when touring (purchases go in and are harder for a pickpocket).

*Prescription drugs and a few basic first aid items and some OTC meds in travel size (also in a smaller zip locks because it takes up less space and can be spread out in corners of the suitcase or inside of shoes).

* Plug-in style that converts one outlet to 3 as it takes up less space than a power strip.

*A few plastic clothes pins to hang up a wet item like a swimsuit or a pair of underwear.

*Extra Pair of glasses (tote bag), along with a few granola bars and I grab a large bottle of water after going through security at the airport for long flights.

*Pair of socks (to wear on long flights) which I switch to on the plane.

*Travel size of spray lysol in checked bag (hotel room and ship's cabin) and travel size of antiseptic wipes if short flight with just carry-on. I carry both if it's a long flight (Europe cruise).

No one really notices if you wear the same pair of capris or slacks more than once...and if they did, who cares. If you are clean and your clothes are clean, you're fine. Sticking to multi-purpose items is key. Everything has to go with more than one pair of slacks or capris so that you can switch them around. I've also sent to the laundry other than the wash and fold bag if it looks like I'm going to run low. I'm much less stressed out and I've found the more we cruise and especially with heading to a cruise ship out of Europe, the less we carry. When I arrive, I use a wipe on the drawers and shelves and toss my zip-locks in and I'm unpacked. As I dirty the clothes, I toss them back in the zip-locks and into the suitcase ready for the trip home and I don't have to spend the last day packing. It's so much easier now that we pack light than when we were carrying everything but the kitchen sink.

Edited by griffy116

Only travel using an 18" wheeled carry-on and a small tote that double as a purse if needed.

[*]Do not travel with a purse . Use a small black tote to carry all meds and anything that needs to be accessed readily.

[*]Bring only 3 pairs of shoes ( one pair worn)

[*]Every piece of clothing can be interchanged with at least 2 other pieces or it doesn't get packed.

[*]Do not bring formal attire. Instead pack a pair of nice black slacks/top that can be dressed up/down using scarfs or jewelry.

[*]Even with packing light there are things I never wear.

This is exactly how we pack for any trip of any length and

whether flying or by car. Even to the size of the bags.

Cross-packing your clothes with your husband's is a very good idea. We had one suitcase not show up until the next day, making it very challenging for me to get dressed!

Also, get a cross-body purse that is roomy enough to hold your travel documents, camera, book or e-reader, etc so you don't have to dig through your larger carry-on. We use 22" rolling suitcases for our carry-ons, and fill them with clothing, etc. My husband uses a laptop bag as his "personal" item to carry on.

When you go through airport security, if you are leaving the country, you will be asked to remove your shoes and belt, so try to wear something easy to slip on and off.

Lots of good suggestions.

Here's my favorite packing site http://www.packinglight.net/travel_info_depot.aspx

I used to swear by rolling until I packed this way and found I got way more in and no wrinkles.

I only use assorted plastic baggies instead of cubes which add weight. (unless you use the new ones that don't…but they're expensive compared with baggies.)

LOTS of baggies…they are useful throughout the trip.

Also we have "cruise underwear"…ExOfficio brand that is really very nice…it washes and dries overnight. Yes, we use the laundry service 4* Mariners) but if I do undies it saves "a bit of space." (Tilly socks that wash/dry overnight).

Yes, we cross pack and each have one carryon and one checked bag…but if Europe-bound, beware of your "smaller connection"…you might not be allowed your 21-22 inch carryons…check your carrier. So we have alternate gear if that will happen. (Backpacks and laptop cases/purse.) We watched a veritable mountain of carryon luggage be made on a connecting flight on LAN in South America…all had to be gate-checked. (LAN does weigh and measure!)

DW and I have different packing styles. I pack early and use cubes and folders and she bundle packs the last minute so we don't cross pack. I don't think cross packing is a bad idea but since we pack so differently we both pack enough in our carry on and personal bag to get us through a cruise.

Shak

I do a modified version of the bundle packing found here:

I pack in "mini bundles" so that each bundle is a complete wardrobe for a couple days. Clothing, underclothes, socks, pjs, costume jewelry, etc... whatever those outfits need are going to be in that bundle. This is so that I can reach into my suitcase and pull out that one bundle for the "pre-cruise" stay at a hotel without disturbing all the other clothes that I won't need. The large bundle will be the clothes that I'll only need on the cruise. This method has worked very well for us and our clothes usually arrive wrinkle free. :) When I pack to leave the ship, I'll do the "post-cruise" wardrobe (made up of clothes already used and washed if needed) the same way. Dirty clothes and those no longer needed until home will go into the large bundle. I use small packing cubes for underwear, socks, etc and those go in the center of each bundle. No risk of underwear falling out of suitcase if it should be opened somewhere along the line. :o

I'm one of those people who have had baggage problems - permanently lost once; delivered to my home after being missing for my entire two weeks in Ireland; and once missing for 4 hours while left outside in the pouring rain, which is when I found out that particular red bag was not colorfast- all the top layers were permanently pink streaked.

So I'm firmly in the pack light class.

I use many of the strategies others have posted with a few added suggestions:

1. Use travel sizes
  2. Save sample sizes from the cosmetic counter.
  3. In a two week trip you will never use full sizes of anything. Experiment at home to see just how much shampoo moisturizer, etc you actually use and bring that amount
  4. Dollar stores have Tons of small containers for the amounts of things you need
  5. When choosing your wardrobe choose things that are handwashable
  6. Do a trial run. Of items you may want to wash - launder in the sink at home; instead of twisting to wring out water, wrap in a towel, roll that up and squeeze out the water so things dry overnight. Anything that doesn't dry in your bathroom overnight won't dry in your cabin's bathroom. This also lets you evaluate what doesn't wrinkle!
  7. Wear your heaviest clothing to check in to the airplane. Keep a light tote in your coat pocket. After clearing security put your sweater and or coat in to the tote bag and use this for your airplane pillow and blanket..also makes sure you don't pick up any germs from previous users of the pillows!
  8. Layer if your trip will encompass more than one climate

One thing I almost forgot - a sparkly top can pack down to almost nothing, usually packs well without wrinkling, and worn over black slacks serves well for formal nights...its much easier than a finicky cocktail dress, and great space saver for women!

I'll give out another shout out for the Ex-Officio underwear. I bought some for a Egypt cruise/Jordan land trip. They are very comfortable and do dry overnight. Sure, all undies are light and fold up small, but with the Ex-O undies, I need only ever take 3 pairs for any length trip.

Some of the Ex-Officio shirts will also dry overnight. I have several of the old women's AirStrip long sleeves - I can get along with 3 of them, too as my shirts for a long trip where "fashion" doesn't rule (Egypt/Jordan, safaris, hiking trips). For men, their line of AirStrip shirts are still there - they would make great shirts for men on any trip, anywhere! I wish they still made the women's model :(