Why is there a dress code if it is just a suggesting

It is for basic clarification because guests come from many different cultural backgrounds. When a theme is smart casual or formal they are merely providing descriptions of what those terms mean so that there is common understanding.

There are minimum standards and those generally are upheld by ships staff, but that is simply no pool gear, no shorts for dinner, etc.

I think it's a holdover from years past, when passengers DID make an effort to be cultured and follow the guidelines. Just like when flying was new, folks dressed to the nines for their flights! No more! Today, it's "I have to be comfortable" mindset....

I don't think dressing well means being uncomfortable! If clothes hurt you, they probably aren't the right size! Or, it's my vacation....I don't care what the guidelines are.

I've never understood why folks would vacation someplace that doesn't "fit" their lifestyle! It would be like going to a business meeting, and wearing shorts and flip-flops....folks don't do that...not sure why they think it's ok on a ship with dress guidelines!

I've never understood why folks would vacation someplace that doesn't "fit" their lifestyle! It would be like going to a business meeting, and wearing shorts and flip-flops....folks don't do that...not sure why they think it's ok on a ship with dress guidelines!

See my above response on what a guideline is.

It is for basic clarification because guests come from many different cultural backgrounds. When a theme is smart casual or formal they are merely providing descriptions of what those terms mean so that there is common understanding.

There are minimum standards and those generally are upheld by ships staff, but that is simply no pool gear, no shorts for dinner, etc.

that is not true, many people had shorts for dinner in MDR last week on Navigator

People used to wear long pants and full length skirts at the beach too. Times and cultures and tastes change. Cruise lines adapt or die. RCI could strictly enforce a dress code but they choose not to. Why do you think that is?

Why is there a dress code if it is just a suggesting that is not enforced, I have not sailed on RCCL in 5 years before last week , is this new?

Here is what Adam Goldstein had to say about the subject when he was the CEO of RCI. He is now the COO of RCCL - the parent corporation.

"Enforcing the Dress Code in the Main Dining Room

I receive emails asking “why did you let so and so in the dining room with that on?” and other emails asking “why didn’t you let me in the dining room?” Our intention is to establish reasonable rules and then to enforce them. This area involves degrees of difficulty that can challenge us and create frustration for our guests. If the dining room staff notices guests entering the dining room who are not dressed according to the guidelines they should notify the guest. If the guest is already seated, it is more difficult to broach the subject with him/her.

Across the fleet we follow the formal night dress guidelines that are printed in the Cruise Compass. What we consider appropriate dress for formal nights has changed over the years due to style trends. For example, baseball caps and hats are not permitted at dinner, especially on formal nights. But on some itineraries we have a guest mix that prefers to wear cowboy hats when they dress up so we allow it. In addition, shipboard teams may struggle with enforcing the formal night dress code due to the itinerary, especially on days when we remain in port until late in the day as guests may have limited time to get back to their staterooms to dress up.

Please rest assured that we will continue to focus on the most appropriate way to enforce our dress code."

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/blog/enforcing-the-dress-code-in-the-main-dining-room/

I think I would agree with those who think the dress code should be enforced.

There's plenty of air conditioning on the ship so it can't be for heat reasons, so if it says no shorts or flip flops/sandals at dinner then I think it should be adhered to.

There are plenty of dressy clothes for people to wear that are both comfortable and "dress-code worthy".

I'm not a pretentious person by any means. I love lounging in shorts and jeans, but when going for dinner I like to wear a dress and flats or a nice blouse and slacks/trousers. It's not difficult, and everyone knows there's a "dress code" on certain evenings and if they don't want to adhere to it then they should pick another place on board for their dinner.

At least there is something - otherwise it would be a free-for-all and then you'd really see some interesting stuff... pajamas with feet - those are comfy! And of course, the RCI bathrobe. :p

lol imagine sitting next to someone on formal night and he is in bathrobe and slippers. haha

It's not difficult, and everyone knows there's a "dress code" on certain evenings and if they don't want to adhere to it then they should pick another place on board for their dinner.

Nope. Not your say. When it is called Memsy Caribbean Cruise Line let us know.

All I can say is I just got off FOTS this past Sunday. We ate in the main dining room, and if there was anyone in shorts, I didn't see them. On formal nights, most people were dressed up, and if not dressed to the 90's, then they were still dressed nice. If people don't care to dress up, then they should do the buffet. The people at our large table on formal nights dressed nice, but didn't dress so nice that it would make anyone else feel bad if they were not dressed like them. For the 8 of us, I think we all dressed nice in whatever we wore for the dinner.

All I can say is I just got off FOTS this past Sunday. We ate in the main dining room, and if there was anyone in shorts, I didn't see them. On formal nights, most people were dressed up, and if not dressed to the 90's, then they were still dressed nice. If people don't care to dress up, then they should do the buffet. The people at our large table on formal nights dressed nice, but didn't dress so nice that it would make anyone else feel bad if they were not dressed like them. For the 8 of us, I think we all dressed nice in whatever we wore for the dinner.

same with me, all these posters screaming ill wear what i want ,were no where to be found in my case. everyone had at least presentable clothes , minus the incident in giovannis with a sleevless shirt and he was asked to change so yes some of it is in fact enforced.

Edited by Harooni

Nope. Not your say. When it is called Memsy Caribbean Cruise Line let us know.

Memsy Caribbean Cruise Line has a great ring to it! ;-)

Whether it's my say or not, I'm entitled to an opinion. :-)

I'll also add, that I'm not asking for people to be dressed to the 9's but a shirt and chinos/trousers isn't too much trouble for men. And a skirt and blouse/ dress/ trousers for women is just courtesy. It's not Disneyworld where we all lounge around in shorts and tshirts eating hotdogs and popcorn.

A little effort isn't difficult.

In 10 cruises we have only ate at the MDR one time, but we still dress up eat even in the WJ!! I really don't care if a person dresses real fancy but I still think it is courteous to dress up a little. How hard is it to get out of shorts and for a guy wear a short sleeve shirt?

Two weeks ago was on the Jewell and on formal night we went into the WJ the girl at the entrance noticed we were well dressed and commented how nice we looked. So workers notice too!

here we go...I intend to wear a nice pair of "cargo type shorts" and a bahama type shirt with clean tennis type shoes to board on a carribean cruise. I agree with no tank tops and flip flops. I won't get my luggage until after we eat in the MDR the 1st night. Wife's wearing a sun dress to board. After that, it will be dockers on casual nights and a suit on formal nights. I'm not going to try and cram a pair of trousers and a polo shirt in a carryon on boarding day to get all wrinkled up. As far as I'm concerned, I'm cleanly dressed for MDR on boarding day and the Great Gadspy's of the world can stick their sea pass where the sun don't shine.

Lol... But you're aware of the dress code?

What's so bad about using a fold up Suit bag for carry on for your shirts and trousers. It's not an airline and there's no limit on carry on bags.

As soon as you get you get your cabin you can get rid of it.

Edited by Memsy87

here we go...I intend to wear a nice pair of "cargo type shorts" and a bahama type shirt with clean tennis type shoes to board on a carribean cruise. I agree with no tank tops and flip flops. I won't get my luggage until after we eat in the MDR the 1st night. Wife's wearing a sun dress to board. After that, it will be dockers on casual nights and a suit on formal nights. I'm not going to try and cram a pair of trousers and a polo shirt in a carryon on boarding day to get all wrinkled up. As far as I'm concerned, I'm cleanly dressed for MDR on boarding day and the Great Gadspy's of the world can stick their sea pass where the sun don't shine.

nothing wrong with this. although you could wear a polo like i do on boarding day. with t shirt and swim trunks in my carry on. i get in room at 1 or so and change to my t shirt and trunks and my polo is clean for dinner.

Don't get your "cargo type shorts" in a wad - they are allowed on the first night for just that reason.

here we go... As far as I'm concerned, I'm cleanly dressed for MDR on boarding day and the Great Gadspy's of the world can stick their sea pass where the sun don't shine.

Wow. You sound so angry already and you haven't even sailed yet. :( No one is going to make you change out of your shorts on boarding day.

Don't get your "cargo type shorts" in a wad - they are allowed on the first night for just that reason.

Agreed. :)

Why is there a dress code if it is just a suggesting that is not enforced, I have not sailed on RCCL in 5 years before last week , is this new?

No different then auto tipping, it's a suggestion and you can go to guest services and change the amounts.