Chances of Hurricane?

TheDivineMrsM

50/50? Really no way to predict.

Given the fact that perhaps two or three (max) hurricanes impact any particular part of the western Atlantic in a given six month hurricane season, the odds are strongly against OP's cruise being diverted - perhaps to Bermuda, perhaps to southern or western Caribbean - and virtually no possibility of cancellation.

We are 1st time cruisers going to the Bahamas in August. I know Mother Nature can't be predicted, but what are the chances our plans get canceled do to a hurricane?

Truthfully, I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time worrying about it. The cruise itself wouldn't be cancelled, but if the weather gets really ugly, there could be a change in the itinerary. Several years ago, we had booked a Western Caribbean cruise that sailed in Sept. We knew the weather could be "iffy", but the price was too good to pass up. We had to skip Grand Cayman, because it was a tender boat port, and there were 10 to twelve foot swells. The captain (rightly so) deemed it too dangerous for the passengers, so we ended up with an extra sea day. Although we were disappointed, we still had a fun day.

The cruise line will (almost) never cancel a cruise because of weather. The schedule may be adjusted if it's not safe for the ship to be in port. Think about it foa a minute or so. The cruise line has a ship valued at $250-700 million dollars. There are anywhere between 2-8,000 passengers and crew onboard (many of whom either are, or are related to an attorney). Why would they put the ship, the port or (most importantly) the people at risk? Ain't gonna happen.

Once you're underway, if the weather on your itinerary turns to crap, again, the Master (the Captain) will not put his/her ship, crew or cash cow (passengers) at unnecessary risk. You may be diverted to a safer port, or given an extra day at sea, but they will keep you safe. If you are diverted, the cruise lines usually compensates with OBC (On-Board-Credit), free booze and/or a future cruise credit.

If you are diverted, the cruise lines usually compensates with OBC (On-Board-Credit), free booze and/or a future cruise credit.

Not too likely if a change of itinerary - they usually compensate for delayed sailing or missed port due to mechanical problem - but weather related changes are generally seen as part of the deal, and not the line's responsibility.

You are going on a wonderful adventure, if the adventure has a change or two just enjoy. The Captain will keep you, everyone else and the ship safe.

I have lived in hurricane alley most of my life and I would never try to take odds on the chances of a hurricane or tropical storm in any particular year.

As others have said, if it looks like the planned itinerary might be in the path of a developing hurricane, the captain will switch the ports (so a western Caribbean will become an eastern one, a Mexican Riviera cruise may skip those ports and travel to Ensenada and Catalina and the rest of the time circle around off the coast of California). Most likely, you might get a refund of port fees, but you really aren't entitled to other compensation as changes are covered by the cruise contract you agree to when you pay for your cruise.

If you pre-book any shore excursions with independent companies, make sure you won't be charged for any cancellations (every once in a while someone says they didn't get a full refund even though the ship didn't make it to that port so get their policy in writing and take long their contact phone number). If you've booked through the cruise line, the cancellations will be done automatically.

Another caveat that was mentioned is make sure to arrive at your embarkation port at least a day ahead. No matter the time of year this is a good idea as you never know when weather anywhere could affect flight patterns every where. And if a hurricane is threatening, flights to that area might get cancelled...so even if your ship will leave, you will need to be there too.

Since we have no choice but to fly to embarkation port, we worry about getting there. Lost a cruise this winter when airports were closed for the better part of 4 days due to snow storms. And we even try to fly in 2 or 3 days early.

We were on a cruise in October one year when our itinerary was changed due to Hurricane Paula. We did not get any shipboard credit, no free drinks and no future cruise credit.

We are 1st time cruisers going to the Bahamas in August. I know Mother Nature can't be predicted, but what are the chances our plans get canceled do to a hurricane?

Possibelty in August.

We buy the travel insurance and we buy the policy that has "cancel for any reason." A hurricane is one of the reasons we buy the "any reason" cancellation insurance. The other policies don't cover hurricanes.

This is one of several sites that track hurricane history for the Bahamas: http://bahamaislandsinfo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=935:hurricane-history-in-the-bahamas&catid=93:bahamas-weather&Itemid=212

Nassau has a weather "event", on average, every 2.41 years and most appear to occur mid-season. Nobody can predict the weather more than ten days in advance and only the Vegas odds makers would attempt to predict the odds of a hurricane being in the Bahamas area in August 2014. The price of a Caribbean cruise is lower during "hurricane season" because the cruise industry factors in your concerns and tries to entice you into rolling the dice (so to speak).

It is a rare event for the cruise industry to cancel a cruise due to weather; however, it is common for the itinerary to change when significant weather is in the area.

So .... I think there is a chance your cruise could be altered by a weather event but it is very unlikely that the cruise would actually be cancelled by one.

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

We were on a cruise in the Caribbean when hurricane Tomas was also there, in the Caribbean. Our ship made a change in it's itinerary and traveled 100's of miles south of Tomas. Tomas was proceeding northerly. Our ship then at one point turn around and began coming north again.

The only difference for us was that we missed a port of call, and for a few days the weather was overcast with some rain. But the seas were calm. We still had a great time!

cruiselines rarely cancel. if a hurricane is about your cruise can be diverted to other ports.

you may gain an extra day or you may lose a day. No one can predict.

August/ sept are prime time hurricane months.

you cant control the weather-- so do not stress. and do NOT look at weather reports either

Edited by serene56

Unpredictable, really. Who could have predicted a hurricane would disrupt Boston's Fourth of July?

I've sailed in late August before without problems, but it's always a gamble during hurricane season.

But then it's a gamble in the winter for those flying from the northern states -- a winter storm can shut down an airport.

The worst case is: A hurricane hits the home port, so you can't sail. Ships always steer clear of a hurricane.

Actually I think the worst case would be a hurricane hitting the home port while you are sailing, and you drove and parked at the home port.

Lots of people lost their cars in Galveston during Ike.

Edited by Jimnbigd

We will be leaving out of Baltimore and getting to the port via charter bus which is part of our cruise package. So our car will be out of the hurricane range.

I guess I was worried that a hurricane would cancel our cruise completely, and it sounds like that would be avoided. We perhaps might miss a port or two if there is a hurricane, but the cruiseline would just make adjustments. It's our first cruise, and we've waited a year to go, so I hope all systems will be go so we get to experience it.