Big announcement from Michael Bayley -- double captains club points for singles!!!

cruisestitch

On board Presidents Cruise now. About three hours ago Bayley announced that single cruisers will now get double points!!!!

No details available as to any restrictions, terms and conditions, etc

But this is very good news for at least some if us!!!!

Okay, I get that singles pay double to sail, and that's really not fair, but isn't that like selling points?

When we missed a cruise because of illness and had to cancel the day before the sailing we asked if we could have our Captain's Club point because the cruise was fully paid for and we didn't have insurance. They said no we actually had to sail to get the point. Otherwise it would be like they were selling points and they couldn't do that.

The single cruiser is only sailing once. I think they should give them a break on the price not more Captain's Club points. Why should they move up twice as fast as others? How is that loyalty? Maybe I'm missing something. Do other cruise lines charge less for singles than Celebrity?

I thought the whole part of revamping the Captain's Club was to make it harder to reach Elite? Doesn't this somewhat work against that?

Great news!

I never cruise solo but it only seems fair that singles should get something extra when they are being charged almost double.

I agree,think it will increase the number of Zenith cruisers. Great news for Lois, couldn't happen to a nicer person.

Okay, I get that singles pay double to sail, and that's really not fair, but isn't that like selling points?

When we missed a cruise because of illness and had to cancel the day before the sailing we asked if we could have our Captain's Club point because the cruise was fully paid for and we didn't have insurance. They said no we actually had to sail to get the point. Otherwise it would be like they were selling points and they couldn't do that.

The single cruiser is only sailing once. I think they should give them a break on the price not more Captain's Club points. Why should they move up twice as fast as others? How is that loyalty? Maybe I'm missing something. Do other cruise lines charge less for singles than Celebrity?

I thought the whole part of revamping the Captain's Club was to make it harder to reach Elite? Doesn't this somewhat work against that?

I never cruise solo, but I think it is an excellent idea and it is more in line with the competition.

I think it is right in line with the revised Captain Club points revamp. The more you pay for your cabin the more points that you earn. (Suites earn a lot more points per day tan an inside cabin). Since you asked I believe you are missing this major point.

Although I am not sure it will significantly increase the number of people obtaining the Zenith category. Even half of the number of points is a lot. That is a lot of sailing solo.

Edited by jagoffee

Yes, some cruise lines charge less for a single. On Crystal, for example, for a veranda cabin, I only pay 135 percent, instead of the 200% Celebrity and others charge. I think that I'm really loyal paying 200%, when I'm only getting 100% services.

When I see the actual press release, I'll be sure to send an email to Mr. Bayley thanking him for the change. I've always said there was no way I'd ever make Zenith in my lifetime, well now maybe there is a chance. :)

Therefore my and I should tell them that we are single and are brother and sister and not married so we can get double points. :rolleyes:

Happy sailing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Therefore my and I should tell them that we are single and are brother and sister and not married so we can get double points. :rolleyes:

Happy sailing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

No double points unless you each had your own cabin:).

But I don't think that's what you meant lol. Too early in the am

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Christine Frances

I look at it a different way. I think what happened to you is the part that is not fair. If you pay for a cruise, you should get the points whether you are able to sail or not. Would rather see that part changed IMHO

This really isn't much different than a suite passenger getting more points than an inside cabin passenger. The suite passenger is paying way more and is rewarded with more points even though they are still sailing on only one cruise.

Likewise, the single passenger pays a big premium and should be rewarded with the extra points. After the way that X has been giving away Elite status to RCCI folks the past few years even though they may never have stepped foot on a Celebrity ship, I see no problem with this action.

This really isn't much different than a suite passenger getting more points than an inside cabin passenger. The suite passenger is paying way more and is rewarded with more points even though they are still sailing on only one cruise.

Yes, I see your point that they are paying so should get more.

I sympathize with you paying for a cruise but not being able to go (did you have ANY insurance? :confused: )

BUT in a way, Celebrity sell points to everyone on every cruise. :eek: :cool:

They sell you an interior for $X you get 2 points a day. They sell you a Balcony for $ X + $a you get 3 points a day, a Sky Suite $ X + $D you get 8 points....

Everyone who pays for a higher level cabin buys extra points....

The one thing that still holds is that you have to actually sail to get the points... same as frequent flyer miles with all the air programs, hotel stay points, etc....

Not fair? I'm not sure.... but they all run it the same way.

About darn time! Princess has been more attractive lately for me because of the double points.

There must be plenty of solos like me out there who cruise infrequently enough (and not just with X) that the highest levels will never be achieved in our lifetimes, but getting to a better level where we can get some laundry and internet credits would be nice.

Next order of business: get an X ship back to Galveston or Houston. :)

In spite of no insurance, did you get refunded for the port/tax charges and pre-paid tips? Was the full payment totally lost?

I'm sorry about the illness. Sure hope all is well now.

-Marisa

Thanks.

Port charges and taxes get refunded. We did not pre-pay gratuities and I don't think we pre-booked any excursions, but those would definitely have been refunded.

Who hoo!!!:D:D

Hopefully this will be implemented by October for my next cruise.

I would also like any information as to implementation date. Maybe I will be able to reach Elite + after all someday!

Edited by ptrpanpens