Tipping on Princess (Regal)

lorri111

A quick question on tipping etiquette. I know you are automatically charged $12 a day PP for tipping (which you can adjust up or down) - is this really the end of it or are you expected to tip for things like room service? I had assumed this covered everything (unless of course someone does something special for you) but I read something that said tipping was expected for general room service.

The auto-tip does cover room service personnel as well as other food service personnel. We often tip our cabin steward extra at the end of the cruise, but that is our personal choice.

I would say that you should feel comfortable that the auto-tip covers everything.

Lew

Sorry have to disagree with Lew, you should tip for room service.

Tipping is a personal decision and although room service personnel share in the auto-tip, we always tip extra. Having said that, I would never tell anyone when and how much they should tip.

Lew

Depends. I can only speak about U.S. based cruises. In addition to the auto-tip we have always provided an additional cash tip at the end of the voyage to the room steward. We also provide additional cash tips to waiters and ass't waiters if we have traditional dining. It is normal to provide a cash tip to room service with amounts that vary according to what they are providing. For example, a pot of coffee, maybe $1/$2, a full meal maybe $3/$5. Some passengers also provide bar waiters, lets say in Crooner's where you may go each evening, with additional tips at the end of the cruise.

Additional tips can be added to any invoice, or can be designated to be added to your folio account, but we like the cash method. Providing you leave the auto-tip in place the person you provide the tip to can keep it or share it as they wish.

So if your cruise is a U.S. based one, this would be my opinion.

Sorry have to disagree with Lew, you should tip for room service.

I also did not believe the auto tip included room service - I don't believe it does - however as others say - do what makes you comfortable - we always tip $2 or so for coffee/juice in the morning

A quick question on tipping etiquette. I know you are automatically charged $12 a day PP for tipping (which you can adjust up or down) - is this really the end of it or are you expected to tip for things like room service? I had assumed this covered everything (unless of course someone does something special for you) but I read something that said tipping was expected for general room service.

For me it's the end of it. Princess has already worked it all out so you paid what they determined is warranted. Room service is included in the tipping pool so I don't double tip.

While tipping is optional for room service, I think most people give one or two dollars as a tip.

Room Service is included in the auto tip. You don't need to tip any more. We typically tip a couple of $ for Room Service, but that is our choice, not a requirement. We also tip our Steward at the end of the cruise and our waitstaff in the DR. The amount depends upon the quality of the service. Once again that is our choice and not a requirement. OP is from Australia and the tipping culture is different there than in the U.S. They can leave the auto tip on and relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Sorry but pay enough with 11-50$ per person per day and 15% tax on drinks to pay any extra in tips anywhere on the ships and I am convinced that US cruisers pay a lot less for their cruises with Princess than UK cruisers do.

Its entirely up to you. Its a personal choice.

We have always tipped a couple of $$ for room service. ;)

Sorry but pay enough with 11-50$ per person per day and 15% tax on drinks to pay any extra in tips anywhere on the ships and I am convinced that US cruisers pay a lot less for their cruises with Princess than UK cruisers do.

What ship is that? :eek:
They were posting $11.50/day.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

The auto tip is divided amongst most of the ships crew. Some you never see, there in the kitchen, down below working ect. making your cruise as good as possible. The staff that brings your room service, waiters in the dinning room, specialty restaurants, room steward, we tip cash. If we have anytime dinning we will have a different server every night usually and will leave a small tip every night. If we have regular dinning we tip at the end of the cruise our server and his or her helper. Chefs table we tip the servers, balcony dinning we tip. This is a small part of our vacation costs, the staff are not paid well and they work hard and deserve something extra. Anything extra goes a long way for them. Thats the way we feel and its whatever you are comfortable with.

As its a cashless system do you actually give room service cash (and is this frowned upon if you do) or put a figure on the receipt?

Edited by CCFC

I also did not believe the auto tip included room service - I don't believe it does - however as others say - do what makes you comfortable - we always tip $2 or so for coffee/juice in the morning

The auto-tip does cover room service personnel (you can check this by asking at the Purser's Desk).

It also covers buffet personnel, the hanburger grill personnel, the pizza stand personnel, the ice cream stand personnel, etc.

As far as giving an extra tip to the room service delivery person, I do not see why, if you choose to do it, it should vary with the "cost" of what is being delivered. That person is only delivering it, not preparing it. No different from a home delivery of restaurant food on land. Whether the delivery person is bringing a $10 pizza or a $40 takeout meal, that person just did the delivery, nothing more.

The auto-tip does cover room service personnel (you can check this by asking at the Purser's Desk).

It also covers buffet personnel, the hanburger grill personnel, the pizza stand personnel, the ice cream stand personnel, etc.

As far as giving an extra tip to the room service delivery person, I do not see why, if you choose to do it, it should vary with the "cost" of what is being delivered. That person is only delivering it, not preparing it. No different from a home delivery of restaurant food on land. Whether the delivery person is bringing a $10 pizza or a $40 takeout meal, that person just did the delivery, nothing more.

Actually when pizza is delivered to our house (our teen is the one who orders it), a tip is given to the driver. We haven't ordered room service since probably my first cruise, but I think if I did, I would tip the crew member delivering it.

As its a cashless system do you actually give room service cash (and is this frowned upon if you do) or put a figure on the receipt?

Draw a line through the receipt and give cash for them to put it in their pocket.

And so....we do choose to tip the room service personnel just as we do the pizza delivery driver at home, and the servers at all inclusive resorts. No right or wrong answer here, just personal preference.

Barbara

When we were on the Coral Princess this past February, we ordered sodas (6 for the price of 5) from room service. A 15% gratuity was automatically added to the room service charge. We have never ordered room service for anything else. So don't know about other room service deliveries.