Birth Certificate

fridaythe13th

I tried to do a search without any luck. My friend is going on a once in a lifetime cruise. She would rather not spend extra $$ for a passport if she can use her BC and drivers license. Have any recent cruisers used a BC? TIA :D

For a "closed loop cruise" (starts and ends at the same US port) that is entirely within the Western Hemisphere, a BC/DL combination is sufficient for US CBP. If it is necessary to disembark in a foreign port, then a passport is required, and it would require some work at the US consulate in the port to get clearance to return to the US.

A word on birth certificates....... I have seen people turned away at the port for not having the CORRECT birth certificate. A copy will not work. A hospital birth certificate will not work either. It needs to come from the county records office from where you were born. They usually cost around $10.00. Don't let a $10 bc leave you at the port while the ship leaves with your vacation money! DO NOT PACK your bc as either! I watched a family in panic when the whole family minus a young man got on the ship. The young man packed his bc in his checked baggage. His family was trying to get his baggage from the ship before the ship sailed so they could get their family members papers to him so that he could get on.

I have used my birth certificate & drivers license before with no problem. As others have said, make sure it's a certified copy from the state records office. I also took my marriage certificate since my drivers license shows my married last name. I finally spent the money on my passport though just for peace of mind knowing I could fly home if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A word on birth certificates....... I have seen people turned away at the port for not having the CORRECT birth certificate. A copy will not work. A hospital birth certificate will not work either. It needs to come from the county records office from where you were born. They usually cost around $10.00. Don't let a $10 bc leave you at the port while the ship leaves with your vacation money! DO NOT PACK your bc as either! I watched a family in panic when the whole family minus a young man got on the ship. The young man packed his bc in his checked baggage. His family was trying to get his baggage from the ship before the ship sailed so they could get their family members papers to him so that he could get on.

A copy will work fine.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/whti-program-background/docs-land-sea

Per regulations, yes, but some cruise lines impose requirements more stringent than those required by CBP.

Some cruise lines may require an original BC and not accept a copy.

Some cruise lines (generally luxury lines like Regent and Azamara) don't accept the BC/DL combination at all, and require all passengers to have a passport.

It's always important to check your cruise line's requirements.

A xerox copy of the birth certificate is acceptable on Carnival.

You mentioned that your friend is doing "a once in a life time cruise".

This sounds like it is not just your ordinary 7 or 10 day cruise.

If this means your friend will be visiting special islands/ports -- your friend should get the passport. Just read the above comments.

I'm glad someone else focused on the " once in life time cruise" aspect. I hope that a 7 day closed loop does not qualify - that would represent a rather low level of expectation for la life's activities.

I'm glad someone else focused on the " once in life time cruise" aspect. I hope that a 7 day closed loop does not qualify - that would represent a rather low level of expectation for la life's activities.

Now, see, I read "once in a lifetime" as the friend is only going to cruise once in her lifetime. Hence, the desire not to have to spend the money on a passport for a one time use.

Once in a lifetime, or not...if it's not required, there is no need to spend the money on one.

As far as "low level of expectation"...who are you to judge? Jeez...there are tons of folks who have never been outside of their state, let alone, the country. Don't be "holier than thou".

Edited by cb at sea

Please point out to your friend if her cruise qualifies as closed loop and BC is sufficient, should she have an emergency, she cannot fly internationally without a passport. Should she become ill, have an accident or a family emergency arises, she will be delayed being able to fly until she can get an emergency passport.

Once in a lifetime, or not...if it's not required, there is no need to spend the money on one.

We don't know that.

Unless I missed it, OP has not verified the cruise is closed loop in Western Hemisphere and eligible to board with only BC.

Edited by sail7seas

If this is an once-in-a-lifetime cruise, as in not expecting to be able to afford any more in the future or not expecting healthwise to be able to enjoy another cruise...I would think one would want to be extra sure about being able to board the cruise, which means having the right kind of documentation. I would recommend the friend send an email to the cruise line with enough info (which sailing/itinerary and what is the citizenship status) and get something official in writing. It would be a shame to go on what people are saying here and be denied boarding.

Many people do this all the time.....it al depends if it is a closed loop cruise or not.

NO NO NO NO NO ! While a government entity may not require a passport for a closed loop cruise, most premium and luxury cruise lines require them of ALL passengers on ALL itineraries. Travelers need to check with their cruise line regarding what will be needed for a particular itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Leaving from Tampa to Western Caribbean. I'll have her call Carnival. Thanks all. :D

Carnival does not require passports for closed loop cruises from the US. If your friend is a US citizen then her certified BC from the gov't (not the hospital) is acceptable with gov't issued photo ID (if over 16). You can get an inexpensive copy of your BC from vitalcheck quickly if you are unsure of the one you have. I have sailed from Tampa, I have sailed on Carnival, and I have sailed the Western Caribbean mulitple times with BC and DL. No passport is required.

I tried to do a search without any luck. My friend is going on a once in a lifetime cruise. She would rather not spend extra $$ for a passport if she can use her BC and drivers license. Have any recent cruisers used a BC? TIA :D

It is really important for us to know the cruise line and the destination in order to answer your question correctly.

If it is a closed loop cruise, starting & ending in same US port, and is only in Western Hemisphere, and your friend is a US citizen, then most cruise lines will accept official birth certificate and govt id such as drivers license. If names on the two documents don't match, because of marriage or other name change, then the bridging document showing the name change is also needed.

Although this is true for most cruise lines, since you didn't tell us which cruise line, it might not be true for your friend. There are a few cruise lines which do require a passport for any cruise.

It is really important for us to know the cruise line and the destination in order to answer your question correctly.

If it is a closed loop cruise, starting & ending in same US port, and is only in Western Hemisphere, and your friend is a US citizen, then most cruise lines will accept official birth certificate and govt id such as drivers license. If names on the two documents don't match, because of marriage or other name change, then the bridging document showing the name change is also needed.

Although this is true for most cruise lines, since you didn't tell us which cruise line, it might not be true for your friend. There are a few cruise lines which do require a passport for any cruise.

If she was sailing RC I probably wouldn'g have asked on the Carnival forum. I actually already got my answers earlier in this discussion. Thanks