Cruise Culture and Princess

Cruzinram

I have always thought about dragging a poolside lounge chair onto my cabin balcony instead of using the "doll furniture" that comes with it, but I'm sure it is against the rules, so I don't do it.

Maybe you can get one the vocal minority to do it for you. :D

Because that is what your host (Princess) requests.

Now that's the true answer.

Can you imagine asking someone to come to your house for diner but not,say, smoke. How would the host feel if they arrived puffing away on a pipe. It is really the same thing, some cruise lines request that if you are going to eat in the MDR on certain nights that you observe certain dress requirements.

Pure good old fashioned manners say that you comply with your hosts request.

But it seems as if manners is a dirty word nowadays.

So if it should be "I paid so I can wear whatever I want" I guess the next step would be "clothing optional because I paid for the cruise, I'm on vacation, so I can do what I want." As Dick Enberg would say, "Oh my!"

Paying and being on vacation doesn't mean freedom to ignore rules. One can't, for example, smoke in non-smoking areas just because one paid and that's what ine wants to do.

Bottom line: it's every other pax's vacation, too, so follow the few simple rules or choose a vacation option with the rules (or lack of rules) you like.

I personally hate ties (my line is I hope whoever invented them hung by one...) and don't wear them at work any more. But when cruising I always wear a collared shirt and jacket (no tie) in the MDR and specialty restaurants and a dark suit and tie on formal nights. And as I said I hate ties but, lo and behold, I've survived every time!

Once on Seaborn for formal night (with 99% of the men wearing tuxes and I didn't have one - nor did I want to have one) I simply had room service that evening and I was perfectly happy as I'm sure those in the dining room were that I wasn't there.

There really is such a simple solution that can work for all. Freedom of choice is great - just as long as everyone makes good choices.

I love when people use the airline as an excuse not to bring formal wear and then you read the thread "Things to bring on a cruise". I can't believe some of the crap people will pack but find that packing a dress shirt and tie will tilt the weight limit. It's like the Beverly Hillbillies sail on the Love Boat.

Name the Cruiseline... At Least one( always pick the over bet) T-Shirt Tuxedo and Billy Bob teeth on a Formal night.

And The Winner is.............................................

Yep. Now the most vocal in this endless thread will be those with the agenda: get rid of formal night. The people who do like to dress formally generally get drowned out by that more vocal minority. I will now retire to watch it unfold as I have predicted. (I have my personal prediction of who's up first, but I'll keep that one to myself.) ;)

We all make choice in life. Don't like formal night, don't participate. That means chose an alternate dining venue, or another cruiseline.

There are other choices. Do you just want to pick and chose what you like. What if I like smoking Cigars in my room next to yours? Oh yeah, I deserve to be first for everything, I'll kick your butt to the back.

Hey, I like your room better than mine, get out. No rules? I don't care. What a crap feeling of entitlement. Grow up.

You knew, and know the rules and customs when you bought your ticket. Guess you'll just have to live with the rules or get your ass off.

I didn't wear shoes till the 4th grade and still own only 2-3 pairs. One being my formal shoes for my suit and my TUX. I still open doors for people and address my elders as Mr., Mrs.

Guess the Carnival/NCL crowd is growing faster than jock itch or athletes foot. My children have manners, and conduct themselves as if we are on their shoulders. That's the least I'd expect from others that know what the rules are when buying a ticket.

I have rallied against the morality police on this board before, but this thread and attitude pisses me off.

Aloha, Tim

Me, too! I want my dinner served on the balcony of my suite! Every night! Even if I don't actually book a suite! Equity! Fairness! Equality!

:p:p:p Princess' silly rules be damned!

Silly comparison. ALL of us paid to use the MDR, only a few pay for a full suite and the perks.

I believe in equity, fairness, and treating all passengers equally.
So do I. And the way I see it, asking people to follow the dress code--or at least make an attempt to do so--is treating everyone equally. It's not as if formal night is suddenly sprung on people as they get to the dining room. Everyone should know before they get on the ship how many formal nights there are going to be. Everyone has an equal opportunity to decide if they want to participate.

As far as luggage goes, I've found that we can make do with one piece of checked luggage if we cross pack our items and bring a rolling garment bag for our suits or sports coats and dress shirts and other hanging items and a regular suitcase for other items. And under my relaxed idea of letting in anyone who makes an effort, a man could get by in a dress shirt with a tie. We had such a gentleman at our table on the Grand in 2003. He and his wife were on their honeymoon. He was clueless that there would be formal nights, but he did have some dress shirts with him and purchased a tie in the gift shop.

We will not be dressing to the formal code on our Feb. Princess cruise We are travelling for seven weeks prior to this cruise and have no intention of packing clothes/shoes that will only be used for a few hours on three or four nights. Nor would we bother with renting clothes for the event. Formal nights have lost their charm for us.

Princess gives us great dining options on formal nights so there is really no need for us dine in the MDR.

Edited by iancal

I love when people use the airline as an excuse not to bring formal wear and then you read the thread "Things to bring on a cruise". I can't believe some of the crap people will pack but find that packing a dress shirt and tie will tilt the weight limit. It's like the Beverly Hillbillies sail on the Love Boat.

It tends to be a lot more than a dress shirt and a tie, although I suppose that does meet the minimum standards for today's watered down formal nights. The reality is nearly a full dedicated garment bag just for a couple of hours of use. Dress shoes, socks, tux pants and coat, maybe a vest and shirt, plus whatever the wife is wearing, you are probably looking at a good 20+ pounds of clothing.

To myself and DH, formal night is like being invited to a party. Neither one of us are fancy dressers when we go out to dinner, usually nicely casual.

What shocked me was when DH said he wanted to go out and buy a suit for our last cruise. This man is the most casual man you will ever meet. He doesn't dress poorly just not a big deal to him. No jewelry, doesn't wear a cologne, etc. So since he was willing to get formal wear, so was I. I wore a dress on our last cruise and it was the first time since 1998 when I wore one to his retirement party from the Navy. So that was 15 years since I last wore a dress. On our last cruise, we thought we both looked good on the two formal nights we went out and enjoyed each others company. When dinner was over, how quickly we went back to the cabin and got comfortable clothes on and then went back out to shows.:D

We really do not care what others do or do not do unless they step on our toes. Literally! Cruising to us is special and we don't do it every year or even several times a year like some as we are still working towards retirement. :D

So, to each his own as far as formal nights in the dining room. We will continue to go to the formal night dinner formally as it is a special experience for us.

As far as luggage goes, I've found that we can make do with one piece of checked luggage.....

So do I. One piece of luggage 19x27 inches & we carry our on & off the ship. If it fits, fine. If not I'm certainly not going to take a second bag to accommodate something I'll only be wearing for a few hours.

It tends to be a lot more than a dress shirt and a tie, although I suppose that does meet the minimum standards for today's watered down formal nights.

BTW- A tie isn't mentioned anyplace in Princess's suggestions.

BTW- A tie isn't mentioned anyplace in Princess's suggestions.

Sorry, but that is wrong.....

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

•Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

•Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

We all make choice in life. Don't like formal night, don't participate. That means chose an alternate dining venue, or another cruiseline.

I have rallied against the morality police on this board before, but this thread and attitude pisses me off.

Aloha, Tim

If you don't like the thread, don't participate.

It tends to be a lot more than a dress shirt and a tie, although I suppose that does meet the minimum standards for today's watered down formal nights. The reality is nearly a full dedicated garment bag just for a couple of hours of use. Dress shoes, socks, tux pants and coat, maybe a vest and shirt, plus whatever the wife is wearing, you are probably looking at a good 20+ pounds of clothing.

Shoes weigh the most. We pack them in a carry on for the plane. We take one large Pullman and a Garment bag that holds shirts, dresses, and suit on hangers plus some other small items. We check the two bags which are under the 50lb weight limit. Of course we don't bring coffee makers, mattress pads,white noise machines or DVD players. The few electronics we bring fit in a backpack that goes under the seat. The point I was trying to make is we all have choices but using the airlines is a poor excuse at best. If you don't want to dress up than don't. There have been times where my wife didn't even want to shop for a dress so we figure the money we saved there can be spent in a specialty restaurant on formal night.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Most of us sign in here to read of others experiences, see ideas that we might be interested in, or just to chat. Why some posters find it acceptable to berate and belittle others, is beyond me.

It seems to be happening more on here lately. Sad, because most posters are very friendly and informative. Just because a person may be an experienced cruiser, doesn't give them the right to be rude.

I, for one, would like to see formal night abolished, but that's my opinion. I won't try to impose my opinion on anyone or abuse anyone who doesn't share my feelings.

Everyone have a nice day. Plan a cruise. Or a trip. Get out and see what this old Blue Marble holds to impress and amaze you. See you onboard! :)

I sort of agree. The passengers who choose to dine in the dining rooms should at least make an effort to follow the dress code. If I were in charge of the dining room, I would not turn away a gentleman who wore a dress shirt with a necktie or one who wore a dress shirt with a sports coat without a tie on formal night. But I would kindly ask one in a T-shirt or polo shirt to change before coming back to the dining room. And I'd absolutely not allow one to wear a baseball cap in the dining room.

Agree! But it's up to Princess to enforce its dress code. Sadly, they do not.

The vocal minority are about 10% of the cruise population, BUT they insist that their way is the only way.

I thought this was part of the lure of Norwegian's "Freestyle" cruising. If people really dislike dressing nicely for dinner and actually detest the idea of formal nights I wonder why they cruise Princess rather than simply switching to Norwegian where there is no dress code at all.

Granted I'm still a cruise n00b and don't have much experience with Princess and none with any other line but it seems a legitimate question to me.

At home I live in tee shirts and shorts and am not a fan of shoes but, when I cruise, I don't have a problem dressing nicer. If I did have a problem with it I doubt I would have discovered that I love cruising or would have decided that, even though I discovered I liked cruising, Princess was not the best fit for me.

I love dressing for dinner. It just seems so civilized. I really don't care what others wear, just please don't sit me next to an unruly child. On my first cruise, my companion was turned away from the traditional dining room for attempting to wear shorts. That was the Ruby Princess in 2010.

Sorry, but that is wrong.....

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

•Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

•Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

I stand corrected. They do recommend a tie after all- but I don't own one. :(

I'm surprised no one at the desk has mentioned it in the past 15 or so years.

Maybe it's because the absence of a jacket made it seem unnecessary. ;)

I thought this was part of the lure of Norwegian's "Freestyle" cruising. If people really dislike dressing nicely for dinner and actually detest the idea of formal nights I wonder why they cruise Princess rather than simply switching to Norwegian where there is no dress code at all.

Granted I'm still a cruise n00b and don't have much experience with Princess and none with any other line but it seems a legitimate question to me.

At home I live in tee shirts and shorts and am not a fan of shoes but, when I cruise, I don't have a problem dressing nicer. If I did have a problem with it I doubt I would have discovered that I love cruising or would have decided that, even though I discovered I liked cruising, Princess was not the best fit for me.

The dining room on NCL has the same menu every night and the entire experience is very different among the two lines. Princess offers many choices when it comes to dining. If you don't want to dress formal than you can eat in one of the other venues. It's the attitude that annoys me more than what is being worn on formal night. It says look at me I didn't dress for the occasion and got away with it. We always select anytime dining so we can either eat alone or line up behind those who are dressed for the evening and be seated with them. To be honest I haven't seen anyone wearing anything inappropriate like what is described in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dining room on NCL has the same menu every night and the entire experience is very different among the two lines. Princess offers many choices when it comes to dining. If you don't want to dress formal than you can eat in one of the other venues. It's the attitude that annoys me more than what is being worn on formal night. It says look at me I didn't dress for the occasion and got away with it. We always select anytime dining so we can either eat alone or line up behind those who are dressed for the evening and be seated with them. To be honest I haven't seen anyone wearing anything inappropriate like what is described in this thread.

BINGO!

It's the attitude that "I'm going to do what I want" whether it refers to dress, booze smuggling, chair saving, smoking, etc. It shows no regard for fellow passengers or the cruise line. They don't want to cruise NCL or Carnival because they want a better experience, but don't want to allow others to have that better experience due to their own selfishness.