Dining room policy-I don't get it

Retired 07

I recently returned from a terrific Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam. On, I believe, the 2nd or 3rd night, (not formal), we went to the dining room dressed very nicely. I had on slacks, a nice shirt and a very nice looking wool flat cap.(not a ball cap) After we ordered, the dining room manager came over and politely asked me to remove my hat. I was a little surprised at this, but, I did as he asked. Then I pointed out to him many people around us dressed in jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers, and asked him about that. His answer was that the dress code is very hard to enforce. HUH?? It wasn't that hard to enforce their hat code (about which I have never seen anything) I wasn't upset or anything, and I really don't care how other people dress in the dining room. The whole thing just seemed odd to me. Any comments or opinions?

I think it is generally accepted that wearing at hat in a dining room is a no-no. There maybe be exceptions but none come to my mind. Some of the other things you point out are as well but the onus for enforcement falls to the staff. Unfortunately this leads to uneven enforcements.

On non-formal nights, jeans can meet the code; footwear is not mentioned in the code. The t-shirt sounds as if it was out of place.

So was your hat. The Dining Room Manager was right to ask you to remove it.

Some days you get away with things; some days you don't.

I recently returned from a terrific Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam. On, I believe, the 2nd or 3rd night, (not formal), we went to the dining room dressed very nicely. I had on slacks, a nice shirt and a very nice looking wool flat cap.(not a ball cap) After we ordered, the dining room manager came over and politely asked me to remove my hat. I was a little surprised at this, but, I did as he asked. Then I pointed out to him many people around us dressed in jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers, and asked him about that. His answer was that the dress code is very hard to enforce. HUH?? It wasn't that hard to enforce their hat code (about which I have never seen anything) I wasn't upset or anything, and I really don't care how other people dress in the dining room. The whole thing just seemed odd to me. Any comments or opinions?

Your post points out exactly why a dress code (or any other cruise policy) needs to be enforced 100%. The minute you let some people get by, others think it is OK as well, so they do as they wish. Soon your policy is out the window.

HAL is wrong IMO in asking people who rely on tips to enforce policies. Of course they will be reluctant to do so.

I assume you are of typical age to be retired.

Other than for reasons of illness or religion, why would any gentleman of any age believe that it is appropriate to wear any sort of hat into a ship's main dining room for dinner?

Not trying to be a scold, just don't understand the thought process.

I assume you are of typical age to be retired.

Other than for reasons of illness or religion, why would any gentleman of any age believe that it is appropriate to wear any sort of hat into a ship's main dining room for dinner?

Not trying to be a scold, just don't understand the thought process.

^^ This. :)

I think that the fact that you were signalled out while others weren't was wrong. Especially given that you posed a very appropriate question and the response was essentially that the enforcement was for you only and no other passenger. I can't help but wonder whether this was some form of systemic discrimination.

Key thing to remember is its for religious reasons. Seems to be the way to get around any "law" folks don't like these days so just say that in the future ;-)

Weird thing is I'm too involved in conversation and enjoying my own meal to even notice what others are wearing. I literally have no clue if there were any folks wearing hats or sneakers or t-shirts in the MDR on our last cruise. No idea. Private balcony dining might be the answer if things like this bother folks.

Obviously its polite to remove it. However HAL seems to have singled one person out while others openly flout their dress code. It makes no sense.

Meanwhile if its "for religious reasons" - party on it seems.

Edited by pmd98052

Unless you need to wear a hat/cap because of a medical condition/treatment or for religious reasons, it is not appropriate for it to be worn in a dining room or restauarant, in my opinion.

If your CC name is indicative of when you did retire, then we are of the same general generation. Thus, I don't understand why: "I don't get it."

I completely agree that the dress code should be enforced evenly. On our last cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, we decided not to go "all formal" this time, but we did bring dressy clothes that fit the dress code. (DH had a jacket) I was disappointed to see a man in a golf shirt at the next table in the Tamarind. Did it ruin my dinner? No, but we could have packed lighter by leaving the dressy dresses and his jacket at home -- but knew we should adhere to the dress code.

Having said that, the dining room manager was correct in asking you to remove your hat. Hats of any type should never be worn at the table -- even if they aren't those atrocious ball caps (well, the caps aren't atrocious in and of themselves -- just when they are worn indoors!).

I completely agree that the dress code should be enforced evenly. On our last cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, we decided not to go "all formal" this time, but we did bring dressy clothes that fit the dress code. (DH had a jacket) I was disappointed to see a man in a golf shirt at the next table in the Tamarind. Did it ruin my dinner? No, but we could have packed lighter by leaving the dressy dresses and his jacket at home -- but knew we should adhere to the dress code.

Having said that, the dining room manager was correct in asking you to remove your hat. Hats of any type should never be worn at the table -- even if they aren't those atrocious ball caps (well, the caps aren't atrocious in and of themselves -- just when they are worn indoors!).

Isn't there something odd like formal night dress code isn't applied in the specialty restaurants? I seem to recall reading that some folks book them specifically on formal nights to avoid the MDR suit/jacket thing?

Isn't there something odd like formal night dress code isn't applied in the specialty restaurants? I seem to recall reading that some folks book them specifically on formal nights to avoid the MDR suit/jacket thing?

The formal dress codes apply to all dining areas except for the Lido. Perhaps you were thinking of the Canaletto area (fee dining) of the Lido area. This area does not observe the formal dining requirement (since it is part of the Lido).

DaveOKC

A gentleman takes off his hat indoors.

There you have it! ;)

This is not aimed at you V, but I don't feel like starting a new thread....

What's the deal with thinking that person A can break the rules just because person B is breaking the same or similar rule?

Seriously officer, why are you hassling me? Other people are speeding! I even saw someone texting while driving. Unfair!

In most cases, religious head wear is pretty obvious. To claim religious exemption while wearing a beret, no matter how natty it may be, is an insult to the people practicing their religion. If you have an oddly misshapen head, or the sight of your bare cranium causes people to lose their appetites, try to explain it to the dining room supervisor. I'm sure that they'll take pity on your special noggin. :D

There you have it! ;)

This is not aimed at you V, but I don't feel like starting a new thread....

What's the deal with thinking that person A can break the rules just because person B is breaking the same or similar rule?

Seriously officer, why are you hassling me? Other people are speeding! I even saw someone texting while driving. Unfair!

In most cases, religious head wear is pretty obvious. To claim religious exemption while wearing a beret, no matter how natty it may be, is an insult to the people practicing their religion. If you have an oddly misshapen head, or the sight of your bare cranium causes people to lose their appetites, try to explain it to the dining room supervisor. I'm sure that they'll take pity on your special noggin. :D

Like:).