ADA a delicate question..

Sat1

Cruisers using wheel chairs, or walkers, are included in this act. Now, should, ( or perhaps do,) they be permitted to disembark ahead of others, regardless of their baggage claim number?

No. Why?

My last cruise with my DH before his passing, he was in a wheelchair so I speak from personal experience.

I see no reason unless specific exception why he would have needed to be taken off the ship first.

Cruisers using wheel chairs, or walkers, are included in this act. Now, should, ( or perhaps do,) they be permitted to disembark ahead of others, regardless of their baggage claim number?

No. They should be treated equally, to specially. Remember the line from Animal Farm (probably paraphrased by me) - all the animals are equal but some of them are more equal than others. That is not right.

DON

You pose the question. Now express why you think they should or should not.

Please factor in the aspects of: Shoreside transportation availability, airline flight schedules, number of bags, immigration/customs area congestion, as well as personal preference of the passenger.

Unless there would be a safety issue for either the person in the wheelchair or others around him/her or if taking wheelchair guests off among all others leaving would impede their safe movement, I would think they should be disembarked according to the same order as everyone else.

If a safety issue, of course, that is a different matter.

Edited by sail7seas

You have posed a very interesting question. The airline industry asks that those requiring special assistance to board a plane early, but to disembark last. I don't see any harm in allowing cruisers using wheel chairs and walkers to disembark early, should there be a need.

Some lines will take wheelchair passenger off last

We witnessed this on one of our cruises where the person walked all over the ship everyday but the last day decided he needed a wheelchair to disembark ..he was still waiting after many others had left the ship

not saying that all in wheelchairs are scamming but this guy certainly was

I don't see why they should be -- if it's a matter of safety, having them disembark last (as they do on airplanes) would make more sense.

Had no idea I might have "rubbed" anyone this way. Thought it posed an interesting question. Now a wheel chair cruiser, has a seat while in line, but a walker may not be able to stand very long without fatigue. :-)

Had no idea I might have "rubbed" anyone this way. Thought it posed an interesting question. Now a wheel chair cruiser, has a seat while in line, but a walker may not be able to stand very long without fatigue. :-)

Not rubbed the wrong way, just to me not that interesting. Airplanes handle the situation all the time by allowing those who need extra time and space in leaving the plane to wait until the area is clear.

Well, our experiences disembarking in Port Everglades have been that it's almost impossible to get a porter -- unless you ARE in a wheelchair. So, if it were well organized (in advance), I can see how it would work to have early disembarkation for all passengers requiring assistance. Then, just get the porters back into position to help the rest of the passengers, as they disembark. In a case where the disabled person did not wish to take advantage of early disembarkation, they would need to be informed that any additional assistance would have to wait until all of the other passengers were off the ship. A good system -- with enough employees/porters to provide the necessary assistance, could work well. :cool:

Boarding or getting off an airplane is totally different from boarding and leaving a ship....the ship is more like checking out of a hotel...

They will have someone wheel them off...and if they're sitting in a chair, a short wait shouldn't be an issue. If someone is using a walker, and can't stand for any period of time, they should request wheelchair assistance!

I am in Canada so am not versed in the details of the ADA, but working in building hardware to meet our codes I have heard about ADA regulations often. I can recall nothing to say people with special needs should board first or last. However, it is expected a company keep those in walkers and chairs with the rest of the customers. They have been called at other times and places for asking wheelchairs to only enter a building by the loading dock. So you can not isolate the disabled from fellow travellers but some will disembark first or last and it would only be a problem for ADA if this delayed them to the point they could not make a flight or such.

I did not pay attention on my last cruise on Princess but did see it during a tender port and once when the ship was along side. The pursers who assisted shuttled back and forth and those in chairs or needing help were moved with the rest of the crowd. This seemed to work as the staff load was the most spread out in time and would kept those in chairs with their travelling companions.

My 3 cents.

Wholly aside from real need, which should of course be addressed, simple fairness might indicate that all passengers should follow the same pattern - and not give people in wheel chairs priority. In fact, since it takes a person in a wheel chair longer, perhaps they should all be scheduled last - they would experience less delay caused by the able bodied getting off first than the able bodied would by having to wait until the impaired got off.

At the end of the day, how much does it really matter - except to the impatient?

Seems the whole purpose of ADA is to make those who are somewhat impaired to be more "mainstream" which means "join the club" and do as everyone else does. So......get in line with the rest of us and deal with it. And OP: I don't find your question "delicate", at all.

Edited by marco

If the person is unable to stand the amount of time required, they have the option to request use of a wheelchair. No need for them to suffer when there is a viable alternative.

Well, our experiences disembarking in Port Everglades have been that it's almost impossible to get a porter -- unless you ARE in a wheelchair. So, if it were well organized (in advance), I can see how it would work to have early disembarkation for all passengers requiring assistance. Then, just get the porters back into position to help the rest of the passengers, as they disembark. In a case where the disabled person did not wish to take advantage of early disembarkation, they would need to be informed that any additional assistance would have to wait until all of the other passengers were off the ship. A good system -- with enough employees/porters to provide the necessary assistance, could work well. :cool:

For over 20 years my hale and hearty DH and myself sailed into Port Everglades dozens of times and never once failed to get a porter. We were young, strong, healthy and had too much luggage most cruises and we always were able to have porter assistance. I'm surprised to read you have had no luck getting help in Port Everglades cruise terminals.

For over 20 years my hale and hearty DH and myself sailed into Port Everglades dozens of times and never once failed to get a porter. We were young, strong, healthy and had too much luggage most cruises and we always were able to have porter assistance. I'm surprised to read you have had no luck getting help in Port Everglades cruise terminals.

Don't know if it's just the terminal used by X, but disembarkation at Port Everglades has become a nightmare, in the last few years. DH and I are lucky enough to be able to schlep all of our own stuff (although it's getting harder as we get older ;)) But, I've seen screaming matches occur in the luggage claim area, because one person supposedly "stole" someone else's porter. I really don't know why they just don't have more porters there -- I mean, these guys work for tips. You'd think there would be lots of them around! :confused:

You have posed a very interesting question. The airline industry asks that those requiring special assistance to board a plane early, but to disembark last. I don't see any harm in allowing cruisers using wheel chairs and walkers to disembark early, should there be a need.

I have noticed occasionally at an airport that a person gets pushed up to the boarding area in a wheel chair, they get out of their chair to walk to the bathroom or to a food area, and then sit back in their chair and get pushed on the airplane first. These handicapped scammers give people who genuinely need the help a bad name.

Unfortunately, businesses can not and even if they could will not ask for proof of a handicap before they provide these people the help that some of them do not need.

Before I get flamed, I do not understand how someone who can walk to the rest room or can walk to and wait for food can not walk the short distance to the plane.

DON

I have noticed occasionally at an airport that a person gets pushed up to the boarding area in a wheel chair, they get out of their chair to walk to the bathroom or to a food area, and then sit back in their chair and get pushed on the airplane first. These handicapped scammers give people who genuinely need the help a bad name.

Unfortunately, businesses can not and even if they could will not ask for proof of a handicap before they provide these people the help that some of them do not need.

Before I get flamed, I do not understand how someone who can walk to the rest room or can walk to and wait for food can not walk the short distance to the plane.

DON

Yes, being able to walk does not disqualify someone for legitimate wheelchair use - my father and stepmother are in that exact situation, and they are not scammers. Their only "handicap" is a combination of age (> 80), the mega-size of major airports, and the long, slow security lines at many of those major airports. They can walk for 15 or 20 minutes just fine, but thatwon't get you far for most airports in major cities.

DON

I'll flame ya.

Arriving in a rolling chair does NOT mean someone is a paraplegic.

Get a clue.

I have noticed occasionally at an airport that a person gets pushed up to the boarding area in a wheel chair, they get out of their chair to walk to the bathroom or to a food area, and then sit back in their chair and get pushed on the airplane first. These handicapped scammers give people who genuinely need the help a bad name.DON

You seem to be dividing the world's population into two categories - those who cannot walk a step, and those who can walk for miles. I can however inform you that there are people who can walk short distances but could not walk the half mile and more that a busy airport requires. You may be fortunate and have the same physical ability at 80 as you had at 20, but many people don't.

As for the OP, if the wheelchairs would make no difference to the speed of the queue when leaving the ship, then I don't see any reason why they would need specific special arrangements. If, on the other hand, wheelchair users would noticeably slow everyone else down, or create other issues such as staff shortages, then it would make sense to make separate arrangements for their disembarkation.

why? the ADA is there to insure equal access, not preferential. so unless they are in a suite or high level loyalty, they are not entitled to anything special.

and I say this as someone who IS n a wheelchair.

if they want or need extra time or cannot handle the crush of bodies then they need to request to be in the first group after self disembark. or, just wait until they shout last call when it is not so frenetic

DON

allow me.

I do this all the time. my tolerance is ..maybe 5 minutes. on a flat surface. the access tunnel thingy is NOT flat, had those stupid blasted bump thingies where it turns to meet the plane. and I have stood far longer than 5 minutes on that ramp AND waiting for Joe Businessman with his laptop case, his carry on and his jacket to decide which overhead bin to use, and then try and stuff it in, leaving everyone behind him champing at the bit to get 3 more rows down to THEIR seat.

furthermore, I require shall we say..extra room to get into my seat. I cannot, due to my handicap, just squeeze in and plop down, I must, bend and twist and scootch, which blocks the aisle just as badly as Joe Businessman does with his antics.

woe betide the poor schmuck who has the window seat in my aisle( DH is forced to suffer in the middle) because it takes me a month of sundays to stand up to let him in.

I board first so that we can actually depart on time instead of having to wait for my broke carcass to get situated.

Point #1. I don't think that the ADA covers priority boarding in any way.

Point #2. The ADA does not cover foreign flagged ships EXCEPT while moored in a US Port. So, technically, the ADA does not cover the disabled in foreign ports unless the foreign port has a similar regulation.

Point #3. The Cruise lines, like airlines, do offer special services for the disabled, but are not required to by the ADA.

Those points being said. When I have had a family member needing assistance because of being in a wheelchair, I will appreciate being first on/off, but have never expected it. And I have often found that by waiting later for either boarding or disembarkation, that the crowds are smaller and it is easier to maneuver through whatever awaits. Just like parking, where if someone is in a wheelchair, it is often better to park waaaay away from the entrance because there is more room to open doors, trunks, set up the wheelchair etc.

Priority for wheelchair passengers is entirely up to the individual cruiseline/airline. It is nice when it occurs, but should not be expected.