Surf and Turf vs Beef Wellington?

tjcletsgo

Which do you prefer? The shellfish on cruise ships is pretty dismal :eek: and I've never had Beef Wellington so I'm leaning towards that.

Which do you like better?:D

Janie

I have had both onboard and I would go with the shellfish. It was not dismal. You can always order both and judge for yourself.

Sue

Which do you prefer? The shellfish on cruise ships is pretty dismal :eek: and I've never had Beef Wellington so I'm leaning towards that.

Which do you like better?:D

Janie

Really a matter of personal preference. I don't choose Beef Wellington because I'm not a fan of pate.

In the DR the surf is shrimp & the turf is a small filet. Last time I asked for double surf, no turf, and was satisfied. Don't like Beef Wellington, no pate for me.

All this talk about pate in a Beef Wellington is most interesting to us Europeans as we do not use pate in Beef Wellington, and certainly not fois gras, so if you come to Europe and order Beef Wellington you are likely to be very surprised.

For information only, and not saying one is right and the other is wrong, a European Beef Wellington has a coating of 'mushroom duxelles' which consists of finely chopped mushrooms and shallots, perhaps with a little cream, and mixed into a paste and then the pastry.

If you want fois gras with your beef in Europe, you really need to order a Tournedos Rossini, but it will be topped with a slice of hot fois gras and only fois gras, but note it not be wrapped in pastry.

If anyone in France replaced fois gras with a pate and called it Tournedos Rossini, Gioachino Rossini would probably turn in his grave.

We had the Beef Wellington on our last cruise and found it very good. Subjective, I know. In light of the some of the other posts I have to ask:

What Pâté? What Foie Gras? We saw none on our plates.

YMMV

Beef Wellington has a layer of pate around it, and the surrounded by the pastry. In my view, the pate on the BW has changed compared to what Princess used to serve.

Beef Wellington has a layer of pate around it, and the surrounded by the pastry. In my view, the pate on the BW has changed compared to what Princess used to serve.

If it was there it was virtually nonexistent. And we certainly did not taste it. And I am one who does not care for either Pâté or Foie gras.

As I said YMMV.:cool:

I've wondered about the Beef Wellington on Princess ships. If it has the layer of pâté I wouldn't even give it a try but, as others have noted, it doesn't necessarily have the pâté. I've always wondered which way Princess goes with this offering. Can anybody verify for certain whether or not Princess does a layer of pâté?

All this talk about pate in a Beef Wellington is most interesting to us Europeans as we do not use pate in Beef Wellington, and certainly not fois gras, so if you come to Europe and order Beef Wellington you are likely to be very surprised.

For information only, and not saying one is right and the other is wrong, a European Beef Wellington has a coating of 'mushroom duxelles' which consists of finely chopped mushrooms and shallots, perhaps with a little cream, and mixed into a paste and then the pastry.

If you want fois gras with your beef in Europe, you really need to order a Tournedos Rossini, but it will be topped with a slice of hot fois gras and only fois gras, but note it not be wrapped in pastry.

If anyone in France replaced fois gras with a pate and called it Tournedos Rossini, Gioachino Rossini would probably turn in his grave.

This is what I thought..Mushroom Duxelle's.......I would doubt Princess would serve pate on it because it's more expensive.

It appears that your question is asking for very subjective answers that I can't see how they would assist you.

I prefer the surf and turf because I don't like pate'.:)

The OP is seeking an opinion. By nature all opinions are subjective not simply food. Having said that my subjective opinion is the beef as I too find cruise ship shellfish dismal.

Sent from my D2-927G using Forums mobile app

In my wife's 11 year old Princess cookbook (and I am not saying that they still fix it the same way these days) it shows that they used Mushroom Duxelles and NOT Pâté. I can say that what we had a month ago didn't have the heavy layer that the picture in the cookbook shows, barely anything was there. From the taste I doubt that it was Pâté. What I do know for sure was that it was very good.

Edited by ar1950

Well the above post isn't even remotely pretentious. LOL

Hmmm, I didnt think so, I thought it very informative.:)

I did, too. After awhile, DanaPointBob, you will learn the regular posters here and come to appreciate (or not) their unique contributions. :)

Isn't foie gras illegal in California?

Edited by shredie

Just got off the Regal today and ordered the wellington...let's just say they are using a very poor quality of beef. My guess it was eye round. Tough, chewy, and inedible. You can easily eat around the mushrooms and pastry (was served completely separated from meat). Sent it back and got the Alfredo. Impossible to screw that one up.

The whole "Caribbean inspired" menu to me meant we are in low season with lowest possible revenue P/P for Princess, thus we will reduce the menu with selections that are equally less expensive for them to produce.

Some selections were good, but every day Caribbean selections? One of the 3 apps always was a inexpensive fruit dish (who orders fruit for an app at ANY land based restaurant?). On a very positive note, the new "chocolate" deserts from Norman Lover were outstanding. The only bummer was they offered them twice the entire cruise on formal nights only.

I remember the pâté in Princess's beef wellington as well as the mushrooms, but it's been several years since I ordered it. It's hard to get the beef rare enough for my taste on a cruise ship. I generally stick to the seafood options.

I did, too. After awhile, DanaPointBob, you will learn the regular posters here and come to appreciate (or not) their unique contributions. :)

Isn't foie gras illegal in California?

Thank you for your unique contribution.