How long before you get HOMESICK on a cruise?

OCruisers

I have to admit...we just returned from a 7 day cruise on the Sun and a 5 day cruise right after that on the Sky for a total of being gone 14 days straight. It was a little much for me. I would say about day 9 or 10 I was ready to go home. I guess this means I would be fine on a Southern Caribbean cruise then. :p

I have not done very long cruises and I would not get homesick if I did. Bored - maybe. Homesick - no.

We have done extended (2 - 4 month) car trips and I still was not homesick. The trick on long car trips is to stay several days at least at each location and also to allow some down time where you are not sightseeing but are just relaxing with nothing to do but maybe the laundry.

DON

We mainly do longer cruises . To get from the UK to the Med needs at least 17 days but we prefer longer so we can get to the Eastern Med. We also cross the Atlantic most Winters - usually cruises of 35 days - and to be honest as long as we're cruising we're happy and not homesick. We do start to feel a bit fed up and ready to leave the ship when we leave Ponta Delgada the last port of call on the way home. By then the weather has degenerated and it's much colder and maybe windy :(.

Four weeks today we're off on our longest cruise ever - 70 days. Very excited but also just a bit anxious too.

Edited by tartanexile81

I have spent as many as 35 consecutive days on a cruise ship and never had even the slightest twinge of homesickness. Rather, the day before disembarkation, whatever the length of the cruise, I get depressed knowing I have to get off the next day.

Sure, I miss seeing my family members, but we stay in touch via email throughout my time away from home, so I don't feel like I am missing out on what's happening in their lives and they know where I've been and what I have been doing/seeing.

My husband and I did a 20 day immediately following our son's wedding in Mexico, for a total of 28 days. it was glorious being someplace warm in one of the worst winters in Wisconsin history. My adult daughter took care of my dogs while we were cruising so I could totally relax and enjoy. It's just too bad, that our travel budget took such a hit, that we have to wait until 2016 for the next one.

My longest was 17 days with two days at the front and an extra one at the end. I was ok coming home because it was the end, but given the opportunity, I would have stayed on. I think I could easily do a world cruise.

I don't get homesick -- nothing at home to miss.

If we didn't have so many health issues, we would do a world cruise.

I get tired of 'restaurant food' after a while. I enjoy cooking and like what I cook. :) I get tired of someone else's bed. I want my own. I get tired of the routine with travel. We always fall into the same pattern and it's great for a while but then enjoy it less. I want to make my coffee my way in my coffee maker. :) I want to wash/launder/dry clean my clothes, my way.

Now that I will be a solo traveler without my late DH, even if I am aboard with friends, I'm not sure how it will go. I'm not yet ready to try and find out. :)

I get tired of 'restaurant food' after a while. I enjoy cooking and like what I cook. :) I get tired of someone else's bed. I want my own. I get tired of the routine with travel. We always fall into the same pattern and it's great for a while but then enjoy it less. I want to make my coffee my way in my coffee maker. :) I want to wash/launder/dry clean my clothes, my way.

Now that I will be a solo traveler without my late DH, even if I am aboard with friends, I'm not sure how it will go. I'm not yet ready to try and find out. :)

I totally get the coffee part. On the 17 day cruise we had a great group from the roll call and it was something different every day when we ran into each other. I think that helped make the cruise.