Windjammer Question/ Room Service Observation

L454S

DW and I just got off the Serenade this morning and I had question about service in the buffet. We have been with Princess for a while and decided to try CCL and RCI again. We knew from reading these threads that CCL does not provide wait service in their "Gathering" buffet, and that proved true a couple months ago on the Dream.

I was told however that there would be wait service in the WindJammer. Sadly,there was not. It was not any better than Carnival, you always get your own drinks and refills. Question; is this on Serenade or fleet wide? On our last couple Princess cruises 2012/2013 there was wait service at the Lido, pretty good service too. This is NOT a dig at RCI more of a FYI. We loved the cruise and would go again.

Now to the only dig. For 4 days straight we ordered a pot of coffee from room service at about 5:45AM. Each day we were told they were busy and it would be 40 minutes. As stated it would arrive somewhere between 45 and 50 minutes later....COLD. No, I didn't tell anyone or complain, maybe I should have.

The rest of the trip was as great as we remembered the Radiance being 11 years ago. These are minor things that I thought took a bit of the polish off, but the product is still worth the money and we would book again in a heartbeat. I can't say that about Carnival and the Dream.

Just a couple observations from someone who had been away from RCI for a long time.

Edited by L454S

Windjammer service definitely varies by ship and also by how busy it is that day. On Oasis we found it difficult to get drinks, on Voyager never had a problem.

With room service, you are much better off putting out the tag on your door the night before, even just for coffee. Any time you call room service to order you will have a wait - but by putting it out the night before you can select the time and they phone you just before they come up so it doubles as a wake up call :)

Edited by BekkaW

Windjammer service definitely varies by ship and also by how busy it is that day. On Oasis we found it difficult to get drinks, on Voyager never had a problem.

With room service, you are much better off putting out the tag on your door the night before, even just for coffee. Any time you call room service to order you will have a wait - but by putting it out the night before you can select the time and they phone you just before they come up so it doubles as a wake up call :)

This. Just remember they don't do the room service the morning on the last day of the cruise (if you are a morning arrival).

there is never an option for service of any sort during breakfast and lunch in the Buffet.

Dinner is iffy.. sometimes they have the staff available sometimes they don't.

usually jut someone to clean up after you.

and I agree about putting the card out the night before. the people that do that have priority for service esp. first thing in the morning. but there should be no excuse for cold coffee no matter when/how you order it.

I'm sorry you experienced this. Trust me, there is roaming wait service in every WJ at every meal on every ship. As to why you experienced the opposite, I cannot answer. I'm at a loss. :(

nope. dinner only, and not even all the time and half the time you did , it was the bar staff wanting to sell you booze.

We were on the Adventure of the Seas for two weeks the end of November and I ate breakfast every day in the windjammer. I never had to get my own drinks or refills. Usually about 2 to 3 minutes after I sat down, someone was there to ask me if I needed anything to drink.

As for room service, like someone else said, if you put the card out the night before, it would have arrived on time and warm. Calling down at that time of the morning, they are going to fill the orders from the cards first then yours.

Thanks for your observations on Serenade. Any chance you have the compasses to share or plan to do a full review? Will be on her in three weeks and I can't wait.

Thanks!

Lemonade -Sails, I do have the daily compasses and will scan them this morning.

My typing skills are limited to pecking, but here goes.

DW and I are 57 and 58 years old and and are from New Orleans metro. Got my mom and dad to drop us off at the Julia St. terminal about 10:45AM. Were checked in in a matter of 10 minutes and then sat for appx. 15 until gold was called. Was onboard before 11:30. Very smooth and easy.

We tried to re-familiarize ourselves with the layout(been 11 years since Radiance)and we did remember a lot of it. We really do love the layout and size of the Radiance class ships. Went to the WindJammer and got some lunch.

We had a Balcony cabin on deck 10 port side, forward, #1012. It's an E2 class and is a bit tight, but adequate.

DSCN1245.jpg.483f3d16541c7a68de702bf6e4dcdcbe.jpg

DSCN1246.jpg.33a42ef36415f79f71ccda4437a0f0b4.jpg

DSCN1248.jpg.766ad5a1b96a2700a45f859a79ad1980.jpg

DSCN1249.jpg.7cfd5408f34da8437aaffb76e5159208.jpg

DSCN1251.jpg.d3566dfa896029eda8e8edcbacec46ee.jpg

We had My Time Dining in the Reflections Dining Room and had made reservations online pre-cruise for 6PM every night. The food was good to very good most nights. There were 2 nights where prime rib steaks were served. Dining room staff was attentive and we had no problems getting a table for 2 (same one) each evening. My Time Dining uses entrance on deck 5, fixed seating uses deck 4. Reflections was elegant and decked out for Christmas.

DSCN1270.jpg.6424eb516e200c50d1f874b027d4d3ba.jpg

DSCN1271.jpg.a7029945d4fddf769b1a7a21ca218a60.jpg

We tend to be proactive and grab our own drinks in the WJ right away. Also always use the card and never a problem with room service. Cold coffee is unacceptable! I would have called for a replacement and no tip the second time.

For those scratching their heads about "service" in the "self-service buffet" Princess has many more wandering servers. Tables already have silverware rolled up in napkins on them, and the servers bring drinks, refill drinks, and bus the tables. It's not wait staff service, but for guests you really only have to contend with getting your own plate of food, not with getting drinks and cutlery too.

It's a half step up from what Royal does in the buffet. To have NO service in the buffet on Royal though is not the normal.

Have sailed numerous RC ships from various ports.

Have always had beverage service in the Windjammer. Have often grabbed a drink before sitting down, but have been asked if a refill was needed, etc. This includes asking for milk at lunchtime when it is not out like it is at breakfast.

Have also seen staff helping families with smaller children, disabled, etc.

DW and I just got off the Serenade this morning and I had question about service in the buffet. We have been with Princess for a while and decided to try CCL and RCI again. We knew from reading these threads that CCL does not provide wait service in their "Gathering" buffet, and that proved true a couple months ago on the Dream.

I was told however that there would be wait service in the WindJammer. Sadly,there was not. It was not any better than Carnival, you always get your own drinks and refills. Question; is this on Serenade or fleet wide? On our last couple Princess cruises 2012/2013 there was wait service at the Lido, pretty good service too. This is NOT a dig at RCI more of a FYI. We loved the cruise and would go again.

Now to the only dig. For 4 days straight we ordered a pot of coffee from room service at about 5:45AM. Each day we were told they were busy and it would be 40 minutes. As stated it would arrive somewhere between 45 and 50 minutes later....COLD. No, I didn't tell anyone or complain, maybe I should have.

The rest of the trip was as great as we remembered the Radiance being 11 years ago. These are minor things that I thought took a bit of the polish off, but the product is still worth the money and we would book again in a heartbeat. I can't say that about Carnival and the Dream.

Just a couple observations from someone who had been away from RCI for a long time.

That is too bad that the WJ staff wasn't great. We have always been approached by someone asking if they could get us drinks, especially at breakfast. We also like the number system the omelet station used on our Brilliance cruise. When you ordered your omelet, you were given a number in a stand that you put on your table. As soon as you sat down, the waiter who was working that area would take the number and go wait for your omelet to be ready.

At dinner, the waitstaff is always more attentive since there are less people in the WJ.

As far as your room service problem, I definitely would have complained. I would also suggest ordering the night before with the door hanger. We have always received our coffee and danish at the requested time when using the door hanger though I know others have had issues.

Something new for us was the Park Cafe located in the solarium. Served snacks, sandwiches, salads, cookies. Solarium was very nice.

I guess the reason I asked about room service was because even on Carnival a couple months ago, our order was filled within 10 minutes every morning, as is the case with Princess also. This was the first time I ever had an issue with room service. It's not a big deal, just something to keep in mind.

DSCN1402.jpg.f579f16ed9d4d07e1eb03e8daccc9c3b.jpg

DSCN1403.jpg.baf5ee350696152cf522bb426633bf7c.jpg

Edited by L454S

Another new wrinkle for us was the aerial shows in the Centrum. Two shows were done during the cruise and could be watched from many floors. We were lucky to watch one of the rehearsals also.

DSCN1326.jpg.f73ca59a92cbf98ca7c8462fcfc81da3.jpg

DSCN1327.jpg.1eeeb9d9cd3e687f4e3c7c3f22e23906.jpg

DSCN1331.jpg.3bf757229316f59fe342428594b3186d.jpg

DSCN1332.jpg.40b52746e7206363a4c46eba22899390.jpg

DSCN1321.jpg.90269b84ef9131345e42f5ad48242316.jpg

DSCN1335.jpg.1e22ad5c188a31fb62c5deaf124269d7.jpg

DSCN1318.jpg.512cefb8179116953ef03bd4c421d13d.jpg

DSCN1319.jpg.0736075577b30a54e94ce7d30e553b7e.jpg

DSCN1320.jpg.d09b0363f722f69de081fedc67a8944c.jpg

DSCN1350.jpg.fd7c3e908657e63ca21af3f8fcffbff7.jpg

DSCN1356.jpg.a70e921b41b46688d5b490c5fced69e6.jpg

DSCN1357.jpg.20f6d7f080d9f31559dc82d67fa02821.jpg

DSCN1358.jpg.bacc2d405db607b13d1a69a1ade79adf.jpg

Edited by L454S

I've never had "service" in the "self-service buffet"....it's a buffet...serve yourself.

Yes, it is a buffet -- however many, many times I have had wait staff come up to me and ask me if I needed any drinks -- either hot or cold that they could bring to me and my DH who might have been getting his food at that moment.

Sorry, you have never experienced that.