Beware Princess Deceptive Pricing schemes

chaunceyb

We have booked a cruise on Princess for this July; we have not sailed on Princess in years and our last cruises have been on Crystal (a class act!). But we chose this Princess cruise due to the itinerary. Princess advertised a "1-2-3" promotion with one perk being a cabin upgrade. We booked a balcony and that cabin is what we were given, but maybe in "better location" but big deal ! Our friends book an Interior and are wait listed for a Balcony, the Balcony clears and they are then upgraded to a Balcony ! We should have booked Interior !

To top things off, Princess has added the exact same cruise 2 weeks later and are charging $1,100 less per cabin (weather not a factor in pricing).

I must say whoever handles Princess pricing strategy needs to take some lessons from Crystal Cruises and stop making customers feel like they were "played".

Oh I forgot, Princess is now owned by that classy outfit Carnival Cruise Lines (haven't noticed any of their ships dead in the water lately !).

Just to set the record straight....Carnival Cruise Lines does not own Princess.....

Carnival Corporation & plc is a global cruise company and one of the largest vacation companies in the world. Our portfolio of leading cruise brands includes Carnival Cruise Line, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Seabourn in North America; P&O Cruises and Cunard in the United Kingdom; AIDA Cruises in Germany; Costa Cruises in Southern Europe; and P&O Cruises in Australia.

We have booked a cruise on Princess for this July; we have not sailed on Princess in years and our last cruises have been on Crystal (a class act!). But we chose this Princess cruise due to the itinerary. Princess advertised a "1-2-3" promotion with one perk being a cabin upgrade. We booked a balcony and that cabin is what we were given, but maybe in "better location" but big deal ! Our friends book an Interior and are wait listed for a Balcony, the Balcony clears and they are then upgraded to a Balcony ! We should have booked Interior !

To top things off, Princess has added the exact same cruise 2 weeks later and are charging $1,100 less per cabin (weather not a factor in pricing).

I must say whoever handles Princess pricing strategy needs to take some lessons from Crystal Cruises and stop making customers feel like they were "played".

Oh I forgot, Princess is now owned by that classy outfit Carnival Cruise Lines (haven't noticed any of their ships dead in the water lately !).

Can't you cancel? Your negative feelings about Princess are duly noted. Thanks for the info.

We have also booked a cruise this summer that was a 1-2-3 deal (free upgrade, free OBC, Free excursion). We paid the price of the lowest mini category but now have highest mini category. I didn't think the upgrade was ever advertised as buy an interior and get an oceanview or balcony. It sounds like your friend got lucky.

As far as pricing, if you look at any cruise the prices change quite drastically from one date to another. We are saving hundreds by going a week later on our Alaskan cruise. A quick browse of the princess website will show you pricing by date.

Since you are going in July you could cancel your cruise and choose another, or maybe move to the less expensive date? I Hope you have a wonderful cruise. :)

Edited by mariakitty

I'm not completely clear from reading your post...if your friends paid for interior and wait listed a balcony, which then it appears cleared, assume they must be paying additional to get that balcony? Also with it still being four months before travel and most likely final payment not even made yet, free upgrades are usually not done that far in advance.

Had you considered cancelling since you are obviously unhappy, since you probably haven't made final payment?

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Promotions are offered, some better than others... So, you feel insulted because someone got a better upgrade than you?

By the way, there's absolutely nothing deceptive about the promotion...

Also, don't forget the fares for Crystal cruises are four times the fares on Princess. Two very different cruise lines. I'm sure you'll be disappointed with Princess... No butlers, etc...

Carnival Corp. Owns Princess, HAL, Seabourn, etc. NOT Carnival Cruise Line...

Just to set the record straight....Carnival Cruise Lines does not own Princess.....

Carnival Corporation & plc is a global cruise company and one of the largest vacation companies in the world. Our portfolio of leading cruise brands includes Carnival Cruise Line, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Seabourn in North America; P&O Cruises and Cunard in the United Kingdom; AIDA Cruises in Germany; Costa Cruises in Southern Europe; and P&O Cruises in Australia.

And Princess has been a part of CCL (the parent company) for many years now. The OP's post makes it seem this is a recent development.

I was wondering if the offers fine print had been read. Certainly any upgrade promo fine print I have read is fairly specific in restricting it, e.g. "within like category", "from standard to deluxe balcony", or the like.

By chance, is the "1-2-3" promotion the one run by Celebrity, or did it have another name/tag?

I don't quite understand your complaint. First, all cruise lines discount. It's best not to re-check the fare unless you want to be disappointed or intend to attempt to get the lower fare. Secondly, it's apparent you failed to read the "fine print." It's obvious from the text that you will be upgraded to a higher category within your category. Your friends were lucky - that's just how it works. I cruised with Regent for many years and experienced the same circumstances with respect to pricing. If I were you, I would cancel and book on Crystal. You're obviously unhappy.

Deceptive??? I think not. You will find theses price fluctuations with every cruise line.

Marketing marketing marketing.

Cruises from week to week are very rarely the same cost. Lots of factors weigh in.

I agree........

Best to have done research before commiting. :(

Edited by Colo Cruiser

EVERY cruise line, hotel, resort, airlines, etc. offers different pricing on different dates. It's all based on supply and demand. A week or two can make a very big difference.

If you are before full payment date and a lower price is being offered, you can usually change your booking to the better offer. There are some no refund fares where you cannot change and after final payment date the sales are usually new reservations only. But most of the time you can take advantage of a drop in price when you reserve early.

Sounds to me like you should cancel with Princess and look elsewhere. Pricing has to do with supply & demand. Good luck with your search....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Deceptive??? I think not. You will find theses price fluctuations with every cruise line.

Marketing marketing marketing.

Cruises from week to week are very rarely the same cost. Lots of factors weigh in.

I agree........

Best to have done research before commiting. :(

EVERY cruise line, hotel, resort, airlines, etc. offers different pricing on different dates. It's all based on supply and demand. A week or two can make a very big difference.

Based on the OP's statement, apparently Crystal has a better system by not adjusting prices? :eek: That may be better for them but I much prefer the ability to get a better price or cabin than the Crystal system that the OP prefers. Every cruise line's "yield management" algorithm adjusts the conditions of sales however based on the OP not on Crystal.

I always chuckle when someone simplistically blames Carnival for perceived problems on other CCL owned & operated independently cruise lines.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I was wondering if the offers fine print had been read. Certainly any upgrade promo fine print I have read is fairly specific in restricting it, e.g. "within like category", "from standard to deluxe balcony", or the like.

By chance, is the "1-2-3" promotion the one run by Celebrity, or did it have another name/tag?

OP probably means the "3 for Free" promo, which Princess has run several times. The upgrade in that promotion has always been within the same meta -- get a BA for the same price as a BF, for example.

That small print will always get you ! We did get a "better located balcony" but again not a big deal to us. What is more annoying to us is the way Princess now has this same cruise departing 2 weeks later now "On Sale" in big, bold, obnoxious red letters. We sailed on Princess many times in the past and have actually initiated our friends booking. In fact we referred a couple this past December for a Princess Tahiti cruise and they paid for an inside cabin and got upgraded to a mini suite on their first cruise. Again, we are only sailing Princess because of itinerary as we hate being nickle and dimed by Carnival Crusie Lines !

Sorry you did not understand the offer you took. An upgrade to a higher category usually means the same type cabin (balcony in your case), but in a "better" location. Not everyone agrees with Princess's judgement on this. It is rare to get an upgrade to a higher type cabin (mini-suite in your case).

I don't know how you booked, but if it was with a person they should have made this clear to you.

That small print will always get you ! We did get a "better located balcony" but again not a big deal to us. What is more annoying to us is the way Princess now has this same cruise departing 2 weeks later now "On Sale" in big, bold, obnoxious red letters. We sailed on Princess many times in the past and have actually initiated our friends booking. In fact we referred a couple this past December for a Princess Tahiti cruise and they paid for an inside cabin and got upgraded to a mini suite on their first cruise. Again, we are only sailing Princess because of itinerary as we hate being nickle and dimed by Carnival Crusie Lines !

You received EXACTLY what the 3 for free promotion stated. Just because it was" not a big deal to us" does not mean that Princess did not follow through with what they said. You paid for a cheaper balcony and you got a higher category that what you paid for. EXACTLLY WHAT WAS ADVERTSED.

Your cruise is probably selling well and the cruise 2 weeks later maybe not so much so a sale on that one. Why don't you cancel your cruise and go on the one two weeks later if it is such a good deal???? It sounds like you are mad that Princess upgraded your friends and not you.

Or just cancel your princess cruise and book something with your beloved Crystal. It doesn't sound like you will be happy at all sailing on Princess.

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

We are not sailing on a Princess cruise this week for DH's spring break because the prices were too high. If his spring break had fallen in a couple of weeks, we would have gone. I don't have sour grapes about how prices are different for the same itinerary different weeks. It falls to supply and demand. Cruises in July are usually more expensive than the same cruises in August because more families are able to go then.

Be careful what you wish for with those so-called upgrades. We've booked the 1-2-3 promotion and took the bait for the upgrade. We went from a balcony on Baja to a balcony right the "H" under MUTS! 15 days of misery of being under the Lido deck with the loud MUTS, people clomping and chairs moving at all hours of the night.

What you should have done and what you did are two different things. Your friends lucked out. However, they could have been moved to an OV and not a balcony. It's the luck of the draw. You still get a free dinner at the Steakhouse and I think a free bottle of wine. It sounds like you don't like Princess and you're already miffed about what you were given. I'd cancel and go with another line and get what you want. Being unhappy about it isn't going to make you happy in July. Why be miserable?

BTW, we now state no upgrade unless it's to the Owner's Suite, otherwise don't bother to call us. Works like a charm.

We have our first cruise coming up on Princess, and yes we could have gotten a better price by waiting. I did not feel ripped off. I am really surprised how upset people on this board get over fares. We could have waited and paid less, but we also would not have the nicely situated cabin that we do. I would have to agree with previous posters, if you feel cheated you should not sail. I can't believe final payment date is past for your cruise.

Edited by RMMariner