Advice on a cruise line/ship with the following criteria:

We are first time cruisers, and are looking to narrow down the (many) choices of cruise lines and ships. I'd love some recommendations based on the following criteria:

1) Kids - We'll be travelling with our 2, 5, and 7 year old kids and would like some good activities for them - although we don't want it to be a kid-centered trip.

2) Good food - I'd like the upper end of culinary options. I hate the word "foodies" but we definitely appreciate good food...

3) We'd like the average age to be close to ours (mid thirties).

4) We'd like it to be fairly upscale and luxurious

5) Midsize - I don't think I want either the mega jumbo ships, or the tiny ones.

Thanks!!

Not sure if you'll be able to find one ship that has the upper culinary experience (food is pretty subjective so what you consider a gourmet experience someone else may not) and one that will have the water slides and rock climbing walls (if that's what you mean by activities...some kids may be happy without those but would like an active kids' program). Some of the lines that tend to be associated with gourmet food would be the premium lines which may not even have a dedicated kids' center.

I'm sure in a little while people will be chiming in with their favorite ships. Again these two can be subjective. One thing to note is that when school is out for much of the US/Europe, there's more families cruising, and more active kids' programs.

What I would do if I were you is to ask your friends, family, and co-workers who have been on cruises and ask for a recommendation for a good TA who knows cruises. Go in with an idea of budget, time of year you want to go, desired ports.

Radiance, Brilliance of the Seas , Serenade of the Seas and Jewel of the Seas would be a good fit.

I like those ships too, but given the ages of the children I think Royal Caribbean Voyager Class or Freedom Class would be a better fit in terms of activities. Realizing OP indicated they did not want a larger ship, wondered if they were referring to Oasis Class.

Disney would be the obvious choice - more expensive than the mainstream cruise ships, but OP indicated looking for "upscale and luxurious" - that can be pretty subjective; not sure if even Disney would meet that criteria.

We are first time cruisers, and are looking to narrow down the (many) choices of cruise lines and ships. I'd love some recommendations based on the following criteria:

1) Kids - We'll be travelling with our 2, 5, and 7 year old kids and would like some good activities for them - although we don't want it to be a kid-centered trip.

2) Good food - I'd like the upper end of culinary options. I hate the word "foodies" but we definitely appreciate good food...

5) Midsize - I don't think I want either the mega jumbo ships, or the tiny ones.

Thanks!!

There is nothing that fits your requirements because of the food. On any line that meets the other requirements food is going to be your basic banquet food. You are also not going to find upscale and luxurious with the kids in the equation. If you go with the kids you are not going to get all of your criteria, or even most of them met.

Edited by zqvol

Thanks!!

Disney for the kids. Oceania for the adults (though you'll find kids on their ships during school vacation periods.

There is nothing that fits your requirements because of the food. On any line that meets the other requirements food is going to be your basic banquet food. You are also not going to find upscale and luxurious with the kids in the equation. If you go with the kids you are not going to get all of your criteria, or even most of them met.

I agree, also a shorter cruise will have more kids than a longer one in all probability.

Thanks!!

1. Cunard in the Med. during August (School Holidays). With great kids clubs

2. The food and dining experiences on Cunard are varied and excellent

3. As during school holidays the age demographic on Cunard will be to your liking

4 & 5 Cunard obliges

Enjoy:D

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Disney ships actually look very good - Art Deco and Art Nouveau style, no tacky neon disco crap. I feel like I'm on a 1920s ocean liner. For upscale food, though, you'll have to do the specialty dining in Palo and Remy. There is an up charge, dress code and the kids aren't welcome.

I think Royal Caribbean is a good fit. And I believe Freedom class is a nice option.

I like to gamble, so Disney is not appealing to me - nor is any Disney park.

RC has great facilities for kids, but the overall experience will be great for adults and kids alike.

Disney is probably going to provide an experience that meets most of the criteria. Our neighbor, who is definitely well traveled, just returned from a Disney cruise with their young son. She said Disney delivered a much more upscale experience than other mass market lines that cater to "family friendly" cruising.

Like others have said, food is very subjective. Some hate the MDR on most ships. Some think it is quite nice. I have never had anything on Royal Caribbean that I have thought was horrible. There are things I liked better than others, but that's just purely because it was not my favorite- not that it was bad.

We have done Celebrity with my niece twice. The first time she was 5 years old. The second time, 7 years old. The first time she loved the kids program. The second time she was a little disenchanted. I think that had more to do with the fact that she was enjoying some time away from her baby sister, than with the program.

I definitely found Celebrity to be a cut above RCCL for most of the OP's criteria. If just a little bit of difference will make everyone happier, I would look at the main lines and then go for their higher end brands.

I think they were talking about being on the same ship as their children.

I think you maybe assuming too much.;):D

But Flatbush's post does bring one question to mind. Which is the best cruise line for our kids and their nanny?:p

1. Cunard in the Med. during August (School Holidays). With great kids clubs

2. The food and dining experiences on Cunard are varied and excellent

3. As during school holidays the age demographic on Cunard will be to your liking

4 & 5 Cunard obliges

Enjoy:D

The OP is from Buffalo, NY. I'm guessing they aren't looking at 10+ hours of air travel to get to the cruise port with young kids. The time it would take you to fly to Barcelona, Rome, or Venice is only an hour or so longer than the time it would take them to get to a gateway city to catch their long haul.

OP: Where do you want to go? E: Europe/Med/Caribbean/Alaska/Bermuda/Hawaii? NOt every line goes everywhere, so by choosing where you want to go narrows down the options. 2nd: I'm assuming you will fly to the cruise port? Yes or no? If not, you could drive to NY/NJ and sail out of there, but that also limits destinations and lines.