Room service delivery times, overall quality

happy cruzer

I haven't done a lot of room service, but have had good results. The first night of our med cruise, I was all messed up with the time change and called down about 3AM. Needless to say the crew member who answered was surprised I called. They sent up a sandwich and glass of milk very quickly. Also, love ordering some coffee and chocolate chip cookies for sail away on the balcony in cooler temperature.

My experience with breakfast has always been that they are early! Get your robe ready.

We've always had good luck with room service. We tend to get sandwiches or snacks, and they've always come very quickly (usually 15 minutes or so) and been fresh. The OP asked about experiences other than breakfast, but I'll agree with others that breakfast always comes early or exactly on time in our experience. I've never gotten it after the time marked on our door hanger card.

One of my favorites is the club sandwich with cole slaw.

Edited by Paula_MacFan

Any ship with an International Café works so much better for me than than using room service which never seems to be quite what you expected when it actually comes.

International Café is the one positive change Princess have made as far as I am concerned.

They could do away with room service as far as I am concerned, as a passenger I wouldn't miss it, and as a stockholder I would applaud the saving which could maybe used to improve other services - it must be expensive with the number of crew involved.

I cruised with Princess many times, but have never order RS. On our upcoming cruise, we have a group of friends that will be joining us, and they asked me to find out what is "common tipping amount" for RS. For example, if they order 2 sandwiches and 2 drinks (or soup), how much should they tip?

I've always done rooms service at least once a cruise. Standard order is chef salad, club sandwich with fries, and the only place you can get a real chocolate cake. Just discovered that the room service kitchen is on Deck 12 on the Grand Class aft. So if you are anywhere near there, you get your food on time and hot.

Please remember to have a tip ready and maybe a Consummate Host card for them to write in their name. I've had excellent experiences with room service. On my last experience....I tried to open a bottle of wine and failed miserably. Room service delivered. I asked him, but he didn't not have the magic easy to open handy dandy thing a ma jig....but would go back and get one. Club sandwich came with chips but I ordered fries. Called room service. Hot fries arrived before first attendant returned with his cork screw. So in a matter of 5 minutes, I had seen 2 people three times.

Don't forget to order the chocolate cake...yum

I cruised with Princess many times, but have never order RS. On our upcoming cruise, we have a group of friends that will be joining us, and they asked me to find out what is "common tipping amount" for RS. For example, if they order 2 sandwiches and 2 drinks (or soup), how much should they tip?

We normally tip $2-$3 for the 2 of us. However, if we are ordering snacks and dinks for a bunch of us we usually tip $5 to $10

Room service personnel share in the tipping pool that the nightly hotel charge goes to.

Many passengers like to tip in addition to this with a $ or two.

Can anyone share their experience with room service other than breakfast?

How long does it take for delivery? Has the food been warm and was the order correct?

Plus what is your favorite to order.

Yes, we do tip:)

It depends on how they are staffed and such. I never tip because it's included in the daily service charge and I prefer to NOT double tip, enough is enough when it comes to tipping. FYI tipping has nothing to do with how fast your order arrives or if it's hot.

They already tipped in the daily auto gratuity so it's up to them if they care to tip twice for the same service, I don't.

We used room service when we got back to the room overheated and exhausted after an 8 hour day in Mayan ruins. It was a freakin' God-send, even though we were only a few doors down from the international cafe. I had a hot dog (meh) and we also got a sandwich of some kind, which was okay.

Regardless of quality, its well worth it in certain circumstances.

Our upcoming cruise is our first with Princess. Do they have a menu card for breakfast to fill and hang on door night before for breakfast orders like other lines?

Yes but no hot food items (eggs/hash browns/bacon/sausage etc). Sometimes you can write them in sometimes not.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

They could do away with room service as far as I am concerned, as a passenger I wouldn't miss it, and as a stockholder I would applaud the saving which could maybe used to improve other services - it must be expensive with the number of crew involved.

Room service may actually save Princess staff time - which is money. If someone orders dinner from room service, one server brings the food (all of the courses) and leaves, and then one person clears the dishes later. If that same person eats in the MDR, each dish is brought from the kitchen separately. Also, they don't keep giving you new silverware and refilling your water or ice tea in your room. Two people eating dinner in the MDR may take more staff time than two people ordering room service - even in a suite where they are ordering from the same menu.