Do you take more than 1 camera?

pls5286

I have recently upgraded to a Nikon 3300 DSLR from my Cannon point and shoot. I am really just now getting comfortable with it, but I love it and am looking forward to taking more wonderful pics with it ( I have taken some pretty good ones of my daughter on the sly). My fiancé and I are going on NCL Sky in June for our honeymoon and I really want to take my Nikon with me, but I do not want to take it out on GSC because of the sand. Do you travel with more than 1? I hope to capture some great pics while we are away.

Here in the photography forum, you're going to likely get a lot of 'yes' answers! We're camera fans, after all.

I always travel with at least 2 camera bodies, each interchangeable and each with their own sets of lenses. And sometimes I have a 3rd camera with me too - a compact fixed lens for situations where the larger or more expensive cameras aren't as appropriate or might be a risk. I shoot with one large DSLR, which is now relegated to my 2nd camera status - I mostly use it when I need to do long-lens shooting, wildlife and birding while traveling, and for onboard and night long exposures. My mirrorless camera system has become my #1 system for traveling, due to the more convenient and compact design, and the fact that I can bring it and 3-4 lenses in a small bag that would only have fit my DSLR with one lens. The P&S compact with a waterproof underwater case is the specialty one I'll bring on horribly rainy days in ports, to the beaches or when swimming, or in very very seedy port stops where anything that appears to be of any value could get you too much attention.

There is no right or wrong answer. I always travel with at least 2 camera bodies. My dSLR, with several lenses. And the RX100, my point and shoot, for moments when I'm not carrying my dSLR, and also sometimes for the beach. Some people don't want to be weighed down, it really depends on how important photography is to your trip, and the extent to which the "bulk" bothers you.

For upcoming Alaska cruise, between me, my wife, and 2 kids, I'll go with a minimum of 3 cameras, now that my son has "his own." Not to mention that we have iphone cameras as well.

I take a Nikon D300 as well as a Canon S100 p&s primarily because I'm a diver and the Canon is my underwater camera, but I'll also take the Canon on any excursions where I'd rather not carry the DSLR. Also, if I want to shoot any video, I need the Canon.

Do "phones" count ?

A few years back A couple DSLR and a couple P&S. These days the iPhone. Is so good it is usually a mirrorless, cheap waterproof p&s and the iPhone.

Always bring a camera you know well as nothing worse than a new camera and not familiar enough and miss the Kodak moment

The best camera for all situations is usually two (or three) cameras.

Words I live by!:)

As others have said, more than one is a good idea. If for no other reason than if one should happen to die, you aren't left with the option of trying to buy one out in the wild somewhere or just relying on cloudy memories of your once-in-a-lifetime trip.

I used to carry a DSLR along with a P&S as the "dinner camera" but now I have moved to the smaller Sony E-mount cameras and use my phone (Lumia Icon that has a fantastic camera) for the casual onboard stuff. I always take two bodies and was rewarded (?) for my foresight on this last trip when my older NEX-7 bit the dust on the second day. Still had a working camera and came back with all the pictures I wanted.

I am not a beach/water person but If I was, I would probably add a waterproof P&S to the arsenal for the beach excursions.

Gear up and enjoy your trip!

Dave

Edited by pierces

I always take two bodies and was rewarded (?) for my foresight on this last trip when my older NEX-7 bit the dust on the second day. Still had a working camera and came back with all the pictures I wanted.

Dave

What happened to the NEX-7? (over-worked?)

I now (on trips) carry two - a NEX-7 and the A6000. Wife carries a Pannie ZS.40 and son takes my old FZ200.

What happened to the NEX-7? (over-worked?)

Could be...its symptoms suggest a shutter issue. Expensive repair, sadly.

May have to limp along until the next model comes out and put the repair cost towards that.

*sigh*

Dave

Edited by pierces

Another vote for more than one...

• I reach for my DSLR for quality
  • I reach for a compact or phone for convenience

Sand??? Unless you have a waterproof camera.... I would not want any conventional camera near those conditions. Those extending lens barrels just pull the dust particles into the camera.... which results in expensive repairs.

Another vote for more than one...

• I reach for my DSLR for quality
  • I reach for a compact or phone for convenience

Sand??? Unless you have a waterproof camera.... I would not want any conventional camera near those conditions. Those extending lens barrels just pull the dust particles into the camera.... which results in expensive repairs.

I carry three. I used to use two identical APS-C bodies, faster to switch back and forth between bodies than to switch lenses. And less chance to introduce dust into the system. And if one body breaks down, there is a back-up handy. (Plus my P&S underwater.) I now have a medium format DSLR, similar strategy, I switch back and forth, have lenses mounted to take advantage of the strengths of each body. The one time many years ago I traveled with one body, the shutter broke during a dugout canoe ride, I was left with no record of my visit to the Indian village. I believe in duplication and backup.

An expansion on my earlier post.

I picked up one of the lighter BlackRapid cross-body camera straps that attach to the camera with a carabiner and a fitting that screws into the tripod socket. I wear the A6000 and the lens du jour hanging at my side and since the combo weighs almost nothing, I found I can carry it at the ready all day comfortably.

I have used every form of camera strap imaginable since the plain leather strap on my Dad's old Leica CIII (apologies to my Minolta SRT-102 for the hippie guitar strap I made it wear) and find the cross-body BlackRapid strap to offer the best yet in comfort and convenience.

Caveat: The pocket camera or phone is still a needed multi-camera option since BlackRapid does not make a formal-wear-friendly model.

Dave

Edited by pierces

Dave I have decided to change the way I carry a camera (A6000 and Nex-7). So i gave this Spider Camera Holster Black Widow Holster a try and love it. Easy to carry my camera and get to quickly, without using a strap. Here is info from B&H. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/762513-REG/SPIDER_HOLSTER_800_Black_Widow_Holster.html

Tom :cool:

Also makes it easier for me top carry a small camera bag also, when needed.

When travelling I have 2 full frame bodies, a slew of lenses and a P&S.

When going out for the day, I try to speculate which lenses will be required. If more than the standard 24 - 105 I will take 2 bodies. Standard zoom on 1 body and either telephoto or wide angle on the other.

I try to restrict lens changes while out in the field, as on an extended trip it would be a challenge to get it cleaned should I get dust inside.

Usually always pop the P&S into a pocket.

Posted earlier about what I have taken in the past.

Just book our next cruise:D.

Thinkng I'll take

5Dii

5D

300D

Eos M

G1X

And a whole slew of lenses and flashes.

Might take my EOS 30 film as well.